Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #151
mikepage0007


 
mikepage0007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: port st lucie ,florida
Posts: 4,273
i,m glad your back jamie, if you did not show up ..this problem would of never came up...now i have 10 days to figure out what to do...how does nw sell a throttle body that is defective in making horsepower...only reason 1 would go to larger tb is to increase hp and it fails at doing that...has anyone called out nw on this????
__________________
mikepage0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #152
mikepage0007


 
mikepage0007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: port st lucie ,florida
Posts: 4,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Jas, Yes. It seems its only happening with the 102 but I did have my car do it with a ported ls3 back at 18 psi. We went to an Vette LS2 style tb and that solved the problem. Stronger motor, opened in the opposite direction. Then when the 102's came out, on my car is was worth like 25 rwhp so we wanted to make it work. On the dyno, during testing, the 102 slammed shut with the 3.2 pulley. So Ted tried the 3.4 and that seemed to work. But when I got it to the track a month ago it slammed shut almost instantly. Didn't matter how I launched or accelerated the car.
well you got a week to figure it out..lol..guinea pig..
__________________
mikepage0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #153
jrpxxii


 
jrpxxii's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Posts: 3,211
So is the vette LS2 style a larger tb except that it open/shuts differently?
__________________
jrpxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #154
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
So is the vette LS2 style a larger tb except that it open/shuts differently?


Well no. The vette ones are 90 or 92 mm. I don't remember exactly which it is.. Ted has involved another company to help develop a 102 mm TB that opens inward so it can't get slammed shut. Since early March we have been testing them. The first one I got on the car the car wouldn't even stay running!!! The track testing is complete and passed with fyling colors. As of last week we were still working out some of the fine tuning with cold engine start up. Everything else has also passed. I'm expecting to get the two that Ted re-engineered back very soon.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #155
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
i,m glad your back jamie, if you did not show up ..this problem would of never came up...now i have 10 days to figure out what to do...how does nw sell a throttle body that is defective in making horsepower...only reason 1 would go to larger tb is to increase hp and it fails at doing that...has anyone called out nw on this????

We've been dealing with this problem for a while now. Even back last spring, ('11). It seems to happen to cars really sucking the air in. I don't think the centri blowers have this problem. At least not to my knowing. I don't think NW had a solution. I could be wrong. I know his TB isn't on my car so what does that tell ya.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #156
paul2010

 
paul2010's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Good luck. LPE couldn't find a solution and either did Ted. If you find anything let us know! It seems to becoming more of an issue lately with PD blower cars.
LPE always new the solution. They even told me after I sold the original one that it was a mistake selling it. As a matter of fact it was never an issue with the one they installed on my car or the one on thier black car. It wasn't until I upgraded to one of the new shiny ones that Nick came out with when I started to have problems. I believe I sold the original one that I got from LPE to shines. After I sold that one I called Nick Williams and had him make me one of the first type throttle bodies. Well he had all of the parts except for the motor and sensor so I just recently put this together and it works perfectly.
__________________
2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout

Last edited by paul2010; 05-03-2012 at 08:44 PM.
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #157
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2010 View Post
LPE always new the solution. They even told me after I sold the original one that it was a mistake selling it. As a matter of fact it was never an issue with the one they installed on my car or the one on thier black car. It wasn't until I upgraded to one of the new shiny ones that Nick came out with when I started to have problems. I believe I sold the original one that I got from LPE to Huffer. After I sold that one I called Nick Williams and had him make me one of the first type throttle bodies. Well he had all of the parts except for the motor and sensor so I just recently put this together and it works perfectly.

Paul, LPE has the solution to the NW 102 slamming shut? Is this something they can share? Or is the solution a different style TB? What I meant in my statement was that I didn't think anyone knew how to keep the NW 102 from doing this. The different style TB's def work.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #158
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended
 
Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nc
Posts: 1,839
This is something I will test as soon as I get my car out of paint,I hope the fix will be about $10 ill keep everyone posted
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #159
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
This is something I will test as soon as I get my car out of paint,I hope the fix will be about $10 ill keep everyone posted
So when are you getting it back from paint?????:emoticon7: And just to clarify you will be testing this on a NW 102? So I'm assuming you are having the same issue?
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #160
paul2010

 
paul2010's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Paul, LPE has the solution to the NW 102 slamming shut? Is this something they can share? Or is the solution a different style TB? What I meant in my statement was that I didn't think anyone knew how to keep the NW 102 from doing this.
It is the original NW 102. The one on the LPE LS9 car has never sucked shut and neither did my original one that I sold. Now I have another original style one and it does not suck shut either.
__________________
2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #161
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2010 View Post
It is the original NW 102. The one on the LPE LS9 car has never sucked shut and neither did my original one that I sold. Now I have another original style one and it does not suck shut either.

I never knew there was an original NW102. I'm just familar with the shiny one! Do you know what got changed between the two?
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #162
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended
 
Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nc
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
So when are you getting it back from paint?????:emoticon7: And just to clarify you will be testing this on a NW 102? So I'm assuming you are having the same issue?
Waiting on parts. I hope in a week or so yes nw
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #163
jrpxxii


 
jrpxxii's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Posts: 3,211
So why would nw not stay with the original design if the new one is defective as Im sure they have known about this for awhile?
__________________
jrpxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #164
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended
 
Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nc
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I never knew there was an original NW102. I'm just familar with the shiny one! Do you know what got changed between the two?
First gen used corevette c5 electronics I can get those If someone wants them,there sure ugly lol
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #165
paul2010

 
paul2010's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I never knew there was an original NW102. I'm just familar with the shiny one! Do you know what got changed between the two?
The motor and the throttle positioning sensor were all combined into the shiny cover similar to the stock one on the new version. The old style has the black LS2 motor and a seperate tb positioning sensor. The new style motor and the old style motor can not be swapped.
__________________
2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #166
RX SS RACERX
 
RX SS RACERX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS RJT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MOUNTAIN MARYLAND
Posts: 282
Hmmmm?
__________________
9.75 @ 139mph, 1.41 60ft, 2010SS, JRE Built!
RX SS RACERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #167
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX SS RACERX View Post
Hmmmm?
Don't worry. We have you covered!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #168
paul2010

 
paul2010's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,217
It will only work if you can get the old style from Nick then you can put the LS2 motor and sensor on it. I now have two one is a 105mm and the other is a 102mm both have the LS2 style motors and will not suck shut. I have Nicks number if you want it maybe he can scrounge up the parts to make a couple more.
__________________
2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #169
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2010 View Post
The motor and the throttle positioning sensor were all combined into the shiny cover similar to the stock one on the new version. The old style has the black LS2 motor and a seperate tb positioning sensor. The new style motor and the old style motor can not be swapped.
Thank you very much Paul. That is what I have now. The older style ls2 tb motor with a 102mm body. Seems like we all got the same result taking different paths.


Thank you too Thomas. Please keep us updated and quit painting you freaking car. It looked sweet back at Pony Wars!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #170
RX SS RACERX
 
RX SS RACERX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS RJT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MOUNTAIN MARYLAND
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Don't worry. We have you covered!!
I figured/hoped so! It's been too long without my car and hearing from you
__________________
9.75 @ 139mph, 1.41 60ft, 2010SS, JRE Built!
RX SS RACERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #171
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended
 
Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nc
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Thank you very much Paul. That is what I have now. The older style ls2 tb motor with a 102mm body. Seems like we all got the same result taking different paths.


Thank you too Thomas. Please keep us updated and quit painting you freaking car. It looked sweet back at Pony Wars!!
Lol,thanks!,outing on the zl1 conversion and installing the new 12 bolt rear
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #172
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended
 
Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nc
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
So why would nw not stay with the original design if the new one is defective as Im sure they have known about this for awhile?
I wouldn't say its defective,a few have reached its limit once this was discovered Nick started working on a solution. It works for 99% of guys ,its actually in the cars pcm,we have had the old style close on us as well but the new tb works great with the new holley pcm ,so is it the tb or the pcm? GM is working on a program to adjust the sensitivity in the pcm

Last edited by Hendrix-Engineering; 05-03-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #173
LS7 427
10.17 @ 140.2 mph
 
LS7 427's Avatar
 
Drives: Black & Yellow 2SS/RS LPE LS7 427
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Redcliff, Alberta
Posts: 669
We tried Nick's TB this winter but it slammed shut at 6000 rpm on the dyno. Talked with Tom and Nick about it but couldn't get past the problem. Went to the LPE 102 TB and had success at the big end but the car wouldn't idle properly. Graham had a few goes but no luck so we took it off and sent it back for them to look at. Ended up with the ported 90mm back on. For now it doesn't matter my trans is on the way to Ted for rebuild and converter. One thing is for sure, the maggie has lots left in it if someone can get more air in than the 90mm allows, anyone thats tried will attest to that I'm sure.

Bryan
__________________
My Build Journal

Built, Tuned and Maintained By........
LS7 427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #174
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2010 View Post
The motor and the throttle positioning sensor were all combined into the shiny cover similar to the stock one on the new version. The old style has the black LS2 motor and a seperate tb positioning sensor. The new style motor and the old style motor can not be swapped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMROSS View Post
We tried Nick's TB this winter but it slammed shut at 6000 rpm on the dyno. Talked with Tom and Nick about it but couldn't get past the problem. Went to the LPE 102 TB and had success at the big end but the car wouldn't idle properly. Graham had a few goes but no luck so we took it off and sent it back for them to look at. Ended up with the ported 90mm back on. For now it doesn't matter my trans is on the way to Ted for rebuild and converter. One thing is for sure, the maggie has lots left in it if someone can get more air in than the 90mm allows, anyone thats tried will attest to that I'm sure.

Bryan
I thought the Maggie didn't have enough in her to post up any quick times!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #175
LS7 427
10.17 @ 140.2 mph
 
LS7 427's Avatar
 
Drives: Black & Yellow 2SS/RS LPE LS7 427
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Redcliff, Alberta
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I thought the Maggie didn't have enough in her to post up any quick times!
It doesn't, you need a big head wind to push more air into the intake during your pass to get a quick time with a maggie. It's a known fact, I read it on the internet somewhere.
__________________
My Build Journal

Built, Tuned and Maintained By........
LS7 427 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.