Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
thahemp
Geek

Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalus View Post
stingy dyno hmmm. So do u think i should get a dyno pull from somewhere else? would it be worth it?
If the number is all that matters to you, then yes!
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
VADER SS L99

Drives: Z71, 2001 Trans Am, 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Something is up with your dyno #'s. Your torque should not be higher than your HP # going by your mods. Plan on at least 5K for a cam swap done correctly by a quality shop. That would be all parts and labor for either a VVT cam or LS3 conversion. Both require the heads to be removed. Your going to need new pushrods, timing chain, valve springs, trunion upgrade, head studs, LSA head gaskets, lifters, and all the odds and ends that come in most LS3 conversion packages. Need to add an extra $500 for a ZL1 pump to be installed as well since you will be beyond the stock pumps limits. Don't know what kind of injectors your running but they need to be up to task to handle at least 650RWHP while being no more than 75% maxed out. If you have a extra 1.5K laying around get the heads ported by a good place like WCCH or LPE. They have to come off anyway so its free labor plus alot of goodies get installed in those heads like the springs, retainers, shims, seals, better valves, ect. My advise would be to not go over 600RWHP on the stock trans and motor. The cam/heads should put you close to that 600RWHP on low boost.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
RogerBzSS

Drives: 11 IBM n White 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Send you out with a partial tune? Still can't believe some shops around here.
Partial tune ,canned tune , or tuned based on similar previous that builds that would be probably close, but as each build is and can turn out slightly different I would opt for additional dyno tuning for the mods I do
And expect to be charged for any extra services, and how I look at
The big picture..
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Black CIA -Powder Coated Red Air Scoop - Vmax Ported Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Dynatek Headers - High Flow Cats out thru factory Cat Back - JRE rough idle cam package - Trunion Upgrade - Valve Springs - Hardened Push rods - 3 bolt timing gear - SLP Under drive pully- Washer bottle relo kit - Hurst Short Throw Shifter with updated pin bushing from C5 member NH-SS - IdealG's improved Master Cylinder - GTO Clutch reservoir - L99 Brake Reservoir - Stainless Braided clutch line - wrapped up with a JRE Tune My SS layed down 462 hp on JRE's Superflow Dyno
RogerBzSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
thahemp
Geek

Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Something is up with your dyno #'s. Your torque should not be higher than your HP # going by your mods. Plan on at least 5K for a cam swap done correctly by a quality shop. That would be all parts and labor for either a VVT cam or LS3 conversion. Both require the heads to be removed. Your going to need new pushrods, timing chain, valve springs, trunion upgrade, head studs, LSA head gaskets, lifters, and all the odds and ends that come in most LS3 conversion packages. Need to add an extra $500 for a ZL1 pump to be installed as well since you will be beyond the stock pumps limits. Don't know what kind of injectors your running but they need to be up to task to handle at least 650RWHP while being no more than 75% maxed out. If you have a extra 1.5K laying around get the heads ported by a good place like WCCH or LPE. They have to come off anyway so its free labor plus alot of goodies get installed in those heads like the springs, retainers, shims, seals, better valves, ect. My advise would be to not go over 600RWHP on the stock trans and motor. The cam/heads should put you close to that 600RWHP on low boost.

You need to listen to people like vader. It's the difference between an opinion that is limited by budget, and what you should ACTUALLY do when taking on a project such as this. A new motor costs more than the things he listed, and you have to redo all your mods...
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
Parapdrapa

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matster View Post
....and you're willing to under right a warranty for him to back this statement up?
Engines fail at stock levels that's why manufacturers warranty products. The ls3 stock bottom end has proven able to withstand 650 HP.

Feel free to disagree if you desire.

HP 468 TQ 428
Parapdrapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
RogerBzSS

Drives: 11 IBM n White 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapdrapa View Post
Engines fail at stock levels that's why manufacturers warranty products. The ls3 stock bottom end has proven able to withstand 650 HP.

Feel free to disagree if you desire.
To me I would look at longevity of the stock ls3 bottom end at 650

Just cause it can does not mean I would

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Black CIA -Powder Coated Red Air Scoop - Vmax Ported Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Dynatek Headers - High Flow Cats out thru factory Cat Back - JRE rough idle cam package - Trunion Upgrade - Valve Springs - Hardened Push rods - 3 bolt timing gear - SLP Under drive pully- Washer bottle relo kit - Hurst Short Throw Shifter with updated pin bushing from C5 member NH-SS - IdealG's improved Master Cylinder - GTO Clutch reservoir - L99 Brake Reservoir - Stainless Braided clutch line - wrapped up with a JRE Tune My SS layed down 462 hp on JRE's Superflow Dyno
RogerBzSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #21
Kalus

Drives: Camaro 2010 SS supercharged(magna)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Something is up with your dyno #'s. Your torque should not be higher than your HP # going by your mods.
I was hoping someday for 500-550 rwhp. If something is up with my dyno numbers (475 rwhp 522 rwtq) is there an issue with the engine? Oh yes, i forgot to mention i also have 22" rims...
Kalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #22
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalus View Post
stingy dyno hmmm. So do u think i should get a dyno pull from somewhere else? would it be worth it?
Dyno's are meant to be used as tuning tools. The numbers you listed seem to be a bit off of what most of us have seen. Most of the Maggie powered cars that I have seen are fairly close hp/tq wise with the stock cam. If your car is putting out more tq than hp it sounds like there is a restriction keeping the pressure up (higher cylinder pressure = more tq), which could be a bad sign.

You usually see a little higher hp then tq number with the additions of a CAI and LT's. When we had our local meet most of the Maggie L99's were around 10-15 hp higher then tq on a dynojet with the 3.8" pulley. If it were me, I'd check the high flow cats and see if you could have a blockage.

What kind of dyno were you on? What smoothing method was used? Both of these can play with the numbers you are seeing. Did they check your A/F ratio? I would expect a L99 with LT's, CAI and a solid tune to be really close to 500rwhp/490rwtq.

FYI, Installing the Cam will require you to go down 1 pulley size to keep the boost pressure about the same, which is why you may want to upgrade the fuel pump and check the duty cycle on the injectors. Last thing you want to do is run out of fuel @ WOT. The ZL1 fuel pump should be about $600-$650 installed and is great insurance. Mine is going in next week.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #23
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
I know nothing of the L99 to LS3 conversion but I will give you my price..

TSP Cam Kit (Springs/Pushrods/Seats/Seals etc..) 740$
TSP Gasket Kit 30$
Double Roller Timing Chain-130$
Trunion Upgrade-130$

My install is costing: 300$ for cam, 120$ for trunion upgrade 450$ for street/dyno chasis tune

Hope it helps.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #24
Kalus

My tuner email me back regarding the numbers : "It’s normal with your motor and kind of supercharger. You supercharger makes instant boost, so you get full boost at low rpms, which added lots of torque and the L99 automatic motors do not rev nearly as high as the LS3 motors in the manual Camaros nor does the L99 auto motor make top end horsepower like the LS3."

do u guys think if i upgrade the torque converter would make a difference? Any precautions should i know about?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #25
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt View Post
Either that's with parts, you're not telling us something with the install, or your shops are trying to rip you off. 1500-2000 tune included is more reasonable.
that is parts and install with a dyno tune.
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #26
Kalus

i'm thinking about stage 2 cams do any of u guys know where theres a package online with majority of the necessary parts to ensure less possibility of the engine breaking?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #27
bodegaboys

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS manual
Can someone pm me a message. Will adding a cam shaft void my warranty
bodegaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #28
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
If it is an L99 and you are going through all that trouble.. I would just go with a stage 2 LS3 cam (requiring conversion) or VVT2 cam. Stage 2 has great drive ability with a torque converter.

Stage 1 ..just in my opinion only.. is not worth the money. Power gains aren't that impressive and lope is generally tame.

My cam probably a "stage 2" as far as LS3 cams go because I did a conversion. However, it is about the same size as the VVT3 which is one of the largest cams you can get without doing a conversion. I felt the conversion would be much more friendly for a super/turbocharger..

I did the Vmax ported throttle body, torque converter, transmission cooler, trunnion kit upgrade, LS3 conversion and cam for $4700 (included labor/dyno).

I went from 370ish to 439rwhp with the cam. So it was about 70rwhp with the larger stage 2.
"Stages" are just packages from different shops. A stage number doesn''t mean diddly. SPECS are what you need to learn and understand.

Assigning a "stage" number to components in a package tend to push you into buying more than you may really want.