Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Trunk Monkey Parts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
jlawrence613
 
jlawrence613's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 V6 Premium Mustang
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 154
Camaro Exhaust Vs Mustang Exhaust

Fun little tidbit for you Camaro guys. I can admit when I lose to a Camaro...

Recently Brothers Performance held their semi-annual car show in Deland, FL.

They had a dyno shoot out and and exhasut sound-off competition. Considering I have a V6 I didnt bother to go up against the big-boy V8's with headers and monster exhaust until...

First car on the sound off comp. was a VERY nice red V6 Camaro which put out 122db. After about six or seven V8 BURLY muscle mustangs ALL failed to crack 110db, I figured it was the LOUDNESS of the V6 engines/exhaust which would be the key. They may not sound muscle, but they are definetely LOUD.

Long story short, I managed to make it on the list and eventually finished 3rd with 117db, behind an 01' Cobra with 118db. I thought I was going to lose sleep losing to a Camaro!!

The owner was a super cool dude though. He explained to me that he did indeed have longtube headers and some other axelbacks. I can defintely see where the extra 5db comes from. I will say the LT's sounded pretty good though. I'm thinking in investing in some longtubes now hehehe. Congrats wherever you are dude.
__________________
Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Airaid CAI, Boss 302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 2010 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555, BBK Longtube Headers O/R X-pipe Up next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Mustang GT 2.75" Overaxle pipe.
2011 Ford Mustang V6: 13.258 @ 107.45 MPH Uncorrected
jlawrence613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,443
Very cool!

With the right exhaust setup, long tubes on the Camaro V6 can sound absolutely amazing with minimal rasp. There are several ways to get there.

I'm no expert (exhausts-wise) on the new mustang V6, but I have listened to a couple videos of some new ones with LT headers and I have to say...I thought it sounded pretty bad....and no, not "bad" in a good way lol.

Maybe it was just their choice of exhaust mufflers causing it though.

I will say this particular mustang dynoed at well over 300 rear wheel horsepower with LTs though.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
jlawrence613
 
jlawrence613's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 V6 Premium Mustang
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Very cool!

With the right exhaust setup, long tubes on the Camaro V6 can sound absolutely amazing with minimal rasp. There are several ways to get there.

I'm no expert (exhausts-wise) on the new mustang V6, but I have listened to a couple videos of some new ones with LT headers and I have to say...I thought it sounded pretty bad....and no, not "bad" in a good way lol.

Maybe it was just their choice of exhaust mufflers causing it though.

I will say this particular mustang dynoed at well over 300 rear wheel horsepower with LTs though.
What's funny is if we are talking about the same black mustang on YouTube, I actually bought the Roush exhaust from him. His setup made tremendous V6 power (315rwhp actually) but his exhaust was unbearable. Not that you guys would care, but the Roush exhaust sounds great under 3000rpm at at WOT. ALL other times its, let's say an acquired taste.

When I eventually go longtube, I'll sell my Roush's as well.
__________________
Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Airaid CAI, Boss 302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 2010 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555, BBK Longtube Headers O/R X-pipe Up next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Mustang GT 2.75" Overaxle pipe.
2011 Ford Mustang V6: 13.258 @ 107.45 MPH Uncorrected
jlawrence613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
JimmyDeanSausage
Banned
 
Drives: GM
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nevada
Posts: 76
I consider extreme loudness to actually be an anti-performance mod, because it lets every LEO within a two mile radius know when you're cracking open the throttle.

With as good as stock mufflers flow these days, I'd do longtubes and maybe high flow cats and be done with it.
JimmyDeanSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence613 View Post
What's funny is if we are talking about the same black mustang on YouTube, I actually bought the Roush exhaust from him. His setup made tremendous V6 power (315rwhp actually) but his exhaust was unbearable. Not that you guys would care, but the Roush exhaust sounds great under 3000rpm at at WOT. ALL other times its, let's say an acquired taste.

When I eventually go longtube, I'll sell my Roush's as well.
lol...yep it was a black mustang and I'm pretty sure had Roush exhaust so that must be it.

Have you listened to any of the long tube V6 Camaros on here? You may not care, but if so I could point ya to a few of the good ones
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
08-G35s/6MT

 
08-G35s/6MT's Avatar
 
Drives: racecars
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMN
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Very cool!

With the right exhaust setup, long tubes on the Camaro V6 can sound absolutely amazing with minimal rasp. There are several ways to get there.

I'm no expert (exhausts-wise) on the new mustang V6, but I have listened to a couple videos of some new ones with LT headers and I have to say...I thought it sounded pretty bad....and no, not "bad" in a good way lol.

Maybe it was just their choice of exhaust mufflers causing it though.

I will say this particular mustang dynoed at well over 300 rear wheel horsepower with LTs though.
eww

08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
08-G35s/6MT

 
08-G35s/6MT's Avatar
 
Drives: racecars
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMN
Posts: 1,776


"Here are the Dyno results before and after the BBK Long Tube Headers and BBK Off Road X-Pipe were installed. The car made 315RWHP and 270RWTQ and it was 87 degrees and the humidity was at 38%. Before LTs and X-Pipe I made 292RWHP and 276RWTQ with only a C&L Cold Air Intake, Roush Axle Back Exhaust, and an American Muscle Bama Race 93 Tune. Both before and after dyno pulls were done at the same place."
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
jlawrence613
 
jlawrence613's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 V6 Premium Mustang
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
lol...yep it was a black mustang and I'm pretty sure had Roush exhaust so that must be it.

Have you listened to any of the long tube V6 Camaros on here? You may not care, but if so I could point ya to a few of the good ones
Yeah his name is Josh and he lives ~3hrs south of me. I bought the roush axlebacks off of him. He was happy with the power he made but promptly re-attached the stock mufflers.

Yes about your other question. The V6 Camaro that won the sound-off competition sounded really good actually. I didnt even know he had LT's until he said so. There was hardly any rasp if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
eww

Eww yes, but you can at least appreciate the power he makes with that setup I'm sure. It's not the end-all-be-all solution, but the car in the vid is running a catless setup and no resonators. No emissions here in FL. If it were me, I would swap in a pair of high-flow cats on the shorty xpipe and go with a more subdued axleback like Borla Tourings. Only sacrifice a couple of horses re-adding the high-flows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post


"Here are the Dyno results before and after the BBK Long Tube Headers and BBK Off Road X-Pipe were installed. The car made 315RWHP and 270RWTQ and it was 87 degrees and the humidity was at 38%. Before LTs and X-Pipe I made 292RWHP and 276RWTQ with only a C&L Cold Air Intake, Roush Axle Back Exhaust, and an American Muscle Bama Race 93 Tune. Both before and after dyno pulls were done at the same place."
Not sure if its on the video, but he's running a 13.5x on street tires with the stock 2.73 gearing with that setup. He was just sounding like crap while doing it.
__________________
Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Airaid CAI, Boss 302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 2010 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555, BBK Longtube Headers O/R X-pipe Up next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Mustang GT 2.75" Overaxle pipe.
2011 Ford Mustang V6: 13.258 @ 107.45 MPH Uncorrected
jlawrence613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
VRYALT3R3D
 
VRYALT3R3D's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GT, 1LE next?
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North America
Posts: 193
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
08-G35s/6MT

 
08-G35s/6MT's Avatar
 
Drives: racecars
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMN
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronith View Post
Okay ?
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]
 
vroomapunk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NOLA
Posts: 6,105
As much as It pains me to say, every time I hear a Cobra (for some reason regardless of year, but usually the 99-2003? model) I turn around and say thats what I want my car to sound like, lol. And its always a cobra when I turn around, those cars just sound f'ing great.

Also, my V6 4th gen sounded really good, no rasp, not high pitched, I had headers, but the key was a muffler that wasnt the "loudest" one out there, it needs to be subdued a bit to keep the v6 out of that high pitched register.
__________________
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
jlawrence613
 
jlawrence613's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 V6 Premium Mustang
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
As much as It pains me to say, every time I hear a Cobra (for some reason regardless of year, but usually the 99-2003? model) I turn around and say thats what I want my car to sound like, lol. And its always a cobra when I turn around, those cars just sound f'ing great.

I see you're looking to add headers to your build. Did you ever get those? I think a good set of longtubes with NO cats would get a sound close to what you are looking for. Car will stink to high heaven but it will sound good.

Also, my V6 4th gen sounded really good, no rasp, not high pitched, I had headers, but the key was a muffler that wasnt the "loudest" one out there, it needs to be subdued a bit to keep the v6 out of that high pitched register.

Yep. Thats what I posted above. I think most people's motivation for going longtubes is the power they give as opposed to sound. If I could bolt on 20-25rwhp with the LT's, I'd just as soon slap the the stock mufflers back on and forego the sound aspect.
in red
__________________
Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Airaid CAI, Boss 302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 2010 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555, BBK Longtube Headers O/R X-pipe Up next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Mustang GT 2.75" Overaxle pipe.
2011 Ford Mustang V6: 13.258 @ 107.45 MPH Uncorrected
jlawrence613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
......

Also, my V6 4th gen sounded really good, no rasp, not high pitched, I had headers, but the key was a muffler that wasnt the "loudest" one out there, it needs to be subdued a bit to keep the v6 out of that high pitched register.
Right on...thats what I tell all the new guys here looking to go with LT headers. Unless you like crazy loud and rasp, for the best sound its good to pair them with a normally mellow exhaust and possibly even add a resonated X pipe (basically a mid muffler)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence613 View Post
. If it were me, I would swap in a pair of high-flow cats on the shorty xpipe and go with a more subdued axleback like Borla Tourings. Only sacrifice a couple of horses re-adding the high-flows...
Are there any existing Mustang V6 videos with a setup similar to this? I enjoy listening to a good sounding V6 setup so I'd be interested in hearing this.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]
 
vroomapunk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NOLA
Posts: 6,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence613 View Post
Originally Posted by vroomapunk
I see you're looking to add headers to your build. Did you ever get those? I think a good set of longtubes with NO cats would get a sound close to what you are looking for. Car will stink to high heaven but it will sound good.

Yep. Thats what I posted above. I think most people's motivation for going longtubes is the power they give as opposed to sound. If I could bolt on 20-25rwhp with the LT's, I'd just as soon slap the the stock mufflers back on and forego the sound aspect.
Didnt get headers yet, only had the car for 3 weeks, havent gone through the thousands of youtube videos to find what sound I like. Im also looking to keep my warranty for a while, havent talked to my dealer to see what I can get away with, so im just doing cosmetic mods now. Thanks for the tip
__________________
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.