Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
sickboy
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 6
There's some misinformation in this thread here... and I'm a stickler for details so:
Yes some of the later Fbods got the LS6 block, but there's no real advantage of having it since everything else (except LS6 intake) was still LS1 spec. Ls6's had different heads and cam at the very least. There are only minor differences in the LS1 block vs the LS6 block (see http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213148). No Fbody ever got LS6 heads.
LS6 heads are 243 castings and have different valves/springs than the 241 castings of the Fbody's --> Earlier Fbods got 853 or 806 casting heads. The LS6 heads had special springs/valves allow them to safely rev higher. Incidentally LS-2's also got the 243 casting heads but with different valves.
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #16
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,730
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy View Post
There's some misinformation in this thread here... and I'm a stickler for details so:
Yes some of the later Fbods got the LS6 block, but there's no real advantage of having it since everything else (except LS6 intake) was still LS1 spec. Ls6's had different heads and cam at the very least. There are only minor differences in the LS1 block vs the LS6 block (see http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213148). No Fbody ever got LS6 heads.
LS6 heads are 243 castings and have different valves/springs than the 241 castings of the Fbody's --> Earlier Fbods got 853 or 806 casting heads. The LS6 heads had special springs/valves allow them to safely rev higher. Incidentally LS-2's also got the 243 casting heads but with different valves.
almost completely correct.

the LS1 vs. LS6 block is a debate that will live forever, but here are the facts:

1. the LS6 block has vents at the bottom of the cylinders to allow for better backpressure dissipation... the LS1 block did not have this.

2. the LS6 blocks that wound up in the f-bodies were made from the denser casting, and therefore were more prone to tolerate nitrous... the LS1 blocks were almost equally tolerant of nitrous, but were made from a less dense product run.

3. the way to tell if your block is an LS6 block is to look at the casting number at the top, back of the block and on the driver's side... the LS6 casting number is 12561168... anything else is the LS1 casting number.

4. LS6 heads were only available on f-bodies through aftermarket companies like GMMG built cars.

5. LS6 block f-bodies tend to have a better time at high RPMs than LS1 block engines do... we have one of each in a 2001 and 2002 Z28... I've driven both when they were stock and there really is a difference.


dont believe everything you read on LS1Tech... a site with that many people is bound to have a bunch of trolls on it that post stuff that they've heard to be true and then it spreads like wildfire.

oh, and there is rumor that the cylinder vents were added to the LS1 casting during the 2001 model run... having never seen one of these engines with one, and having seen several 2002 LS1 engines without them, I cannot confirm or deny this rumor... but this was originally stated by a GM employee who should know the facts... my only guess is that the LS1s that I ran across in 2002 cars were leftover blocks that wound up in the 2002 model cars... and probably have an incorrect date stamp to match up to the 2002 f-body.
__________________
got tequila?
SilverTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #17
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,594
Hmmm...ok. I could have sworn that it was just the heads and not the block. There was a pic in the mag of a guy holding a mirror behind the engine and it showed LS6 on the back of the head. But, hey...could have also been a bad picture. That could have actually been a pic of just that...an engine head w/ LS6???...and should have been a pic of the block w/ that^serial #.

I tried looking on the back of my block a while back and couldn't see any #'s. I'm going to have to take another look as I'm pretty darn curious. Thanks for the corrections. I know what I quoted in Wiki said the block, but I was certain is was the heads. Oh well...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #18
TFord
Camaro Fanatic
 
TFord's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,809
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
almost completely correct.

the LS1 vs. LS6 block is a debate that will live forever, but here are the facts:

1. the LS6 block has vents at the bottom of the cylinders to allow for better backpressure dissipation... the LS1 block did not have this.

2. the LS6 blocks that wound up in the f-bodies were made from the denser casting, and therefore were more prone to tolerate nitrous... the LS1 blocks were almost equally tolerant of nitrous, but were made from a less dense product run.

3. the way to tell if your block is an LS6 block is to look at the casting number at the top, back of the block and on the driver's side... the LS6 casting number is 12561168... anything else is the LS1 casting number.

4. LS6 heads were only available on f-bodies through aftermarket companies like GMMG built cars.

5. LS6 block f-bodies tend to have a better time at high RPMs than LS1 block engines do... we have one of each in a 2001 and 2002 Z28... I've driven both when they were stock and there really is a difference.


dont believe everything you read on LS1Tech... a site with that many people is bound to have a bunch of trolls on it that post stuff that they've heard to be true and then it spreads like wildfire.

oh, and there is rumor that the cylinder vents were added to the LS1 casting during the 2001 model run... having never seen one of these engines with one, and having seen several 2002 LS1 engines without them, I cannot confirm or deny this rumor... but this was originally stated by a GM employee who should know the facts... my only guess is that the LS1s that I ran across in 2002 cars were leftover blocks that wound up in the 2002 model cars... and probably have an incorrect date stamp to match up to the 2002 f-body.
^^^^^^^Theres a guy that knows his engines. But since everyone is getting so technical....the one thing that you forgot is

the ls6 aluminum blocks are more desirable because they are designed to handle high rpm, big hp situations. for the most part they are identical to the 01 and later LS1 blocks. LS1 blocks have a hole machined through the main webs to improve bay to bay crankcase breathing the hole cures the bay to bay oil vapor pumping issues. LS6 blocks are an improvement on that fix, so they are most desireable. they come with an open oil passage area designed in the block
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,063
While I agree with most of this, I've read that later LS1 blocks are more desireable on the whole because the larger windows cast into the bulkheads were considered by engine builders to be a little weaker. They aided in high RPM breathing and lowered pumping losses, however the block is produced differently than the LS1 block and I believe the aluminum is a little different too.
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WBPioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #20
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,730
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
While I agree with most of this, I've read that later LS1 blocks are more desireable on the whole because the larger windows cast into the bulkheads were considered by engine builders to be a little weaker. They aided in high RPM breathing and lowered pumping losses, however the block is produced differently than the LS1 block and I believe the aluminum is a little different too.
the difference is in the density of the aluminum... the LS6 blocks are denser than the LS1 blocks... as you mentioned, this was done to counteract the fact that the larger windows were in the LS6 blocks... by increasing the density of the block, they were able to maintain the same, and sometimes better, durability... hence what I said about the LS6 blocks being more tolerant to spray.

the way it was told to me was: "if you're going to go big cube, use the LS1 block... if you're going to go spray or power adder, go with the LS6 block"
__________________
got tequila?
SilverTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM Reveals Small-Block V-8 with Direct Injection - wardsauto.com Mr. Wyndham Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 176 06-17-2010 12:31 AM
Camaro ls3 news...true or false? Dark Knight Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 74 06-05-2008 06:29 PM
LS1 Help ?!?!?! ChevyLee General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 10 09-17-2007 01:40 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.