Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
casakal

Drives: 2010 SW 2SS/RS
Just installed: Air Lift Performance Suspension System

Hey, all. I've got a lot to say about this new system. I'm hopeful that my experience might help others understand that with this suspension you can have your cake and eat it too.

A few days ago I had an Air Lift Performance suspension system installed on my 2010 SS. I never really considered air before; my plan was to go with coil-overs. Not that I would really need coil-overs. I wanted to lower the car, and coil-overs seemed like the trick way to go. Ajustable, race-inspired, etc...

I checked out all of my options like I'm sure many of my fellow Camaro owners do. After hearing what the guys at Air Lift Performance had to offer, I felt like this system - if it did what was promised - would be give me everything I wanted: great performance, a killer stance that didn't lock me into a static, driveway-scraping drop, and ride quality at least as good as OEM.

Being that I've only run with the system a couple of days, my experience can be considered first impressions.

The Look
First of all, if I'm being honest, looks are at least as important to me as performance. Yes, my close racer/hot-rodder friends will probably disown me for saying that. They're motto is "if it doesn't make the car faster, it doesn't belong". That being said, I was amazed to hear the extremely positive comments from them about the looks. It can't be denied: A dropped Camaro is a sight to behold.

How low do you like it? The system accommodates what you want. Up to 4" lower than stock. Ok, you're not going to DRIVE it that low. There is something very cool about dropping it on the ground at the local cruise night. Passers-by agree. (BTW -- putting it on the floor can be very addictive.) When I'm ready to leave I start the car, it AUTOMATICALLY goes to my preset "sweet-spot" right height, and I'm off and away.

The Performance
Impressed so far. It appears that air systems have come a long way - especially this one from Air Lift. I think it's billed as being the latest and greatest; I'm certainly not an expert on the evolution of these systems, but I can tell you that my preconceptions about their performance were way off.

I can't give you a definitive answer because I need more seat time, and I want to give it a good workout at the track before I'm comfortable reporting in more detail. I can say that it feels every bit as controlled as OEM - I would go so far as to say it feels more controlled than stock. I had it at the track before the system, so I'll do a follow-up with the "after" to see what it's capable of. Stay tuned on this topic...

The Ride Quality
Not "mushy" (another preconception), equal or better than stock (again, I need more seat time), seems to handle bumps in the road better AND stay under control. I remember seeing old-school kits that had the car and driver bouncing oddly as they went down the road. Not with THIS system. Another evolution I suppose.

I share all of this because I know there are others like me that want the same things I do. There's not a lot out there about this system. It's kind of a well-hidden secret in my opinion. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, and I will definitely post updates to let you know about the performance at the track.
Attached Images

casakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
That is LOOOOWWWWW.

How long does it take to go from slammed to full height?
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
cterry
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2010 Carmaro SS/RS
Changes the whole look of the car. Looks killer slammed like that.
cterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
casakal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
That is LOOOOWWWWW.

How long does it take to go from slammed to full height?
Good question... I went out to the garage and timed it; it's about 3 seconds to get from slammed to my desired ride height, and another couple of seconds to get to full lift. I haven't measured what "my desired ride height is", but it's about as low as you can go without plowing gravel.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
casakal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cterry View Post
Changes the whole look of the car. Looks killer slammed like that.
Thanks, cterry. I'm hoping there's as much "go" as there is "show". Track day will help answer that.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
Ah man that looks so good! Ive been debating the airride for the camaro since its my daily. but the more and more i read about this kit, i think i may just get it. I have air suspension on my s10 project, so i am pretty familiar with setting it up. Did you buy it directly from Air Lift?

--John--2010 Camaro 2LT/RS, Summit White
Air Ride Suspension, BBK Longtube Headers, Hi-Flo cats, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Elite Catch-Can, Airraid CAI, Trifecta tune, ZL1 front end with Phantom grille, ZL1 side skirts, MRR228 graphite wheels
JCO2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
I'm looking for more mods for mine.

did you install your self?
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
casakal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCO2185 View Post
Ah man that looks so good! Ive been debating the airride for the camaro since its my daily. but the more and more i read about this kit, i think i may just get it. I have air suspension on my s10 project, so i am pretty familiar with setting it up. Did you buy it directly from Air Lift?
No, the company I work for wanted to evaluate the system, they knew I had a Camaro, so I was kind of a test case. I wanted to lower the car anyway, so it worked out ok. And if I don't like it, the car can go back to stock (or my initial plan of coil-overs).
Old 05-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
casakal

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyerofu2 View Post
I'm looking for more mods for mine.

did you install your self?
I assisted, but a technical guy handled most of it. After going through the install, I can safely say that the only real pain is having to get it re-aligned. I guess that would have to happen for any type of lowering though.

I have some skills - not like a full-on mechanic, but i could do this install again if I had to. Most of it is unbolt and replace. There's a bit of trimming of the rear shock pocket(?) and some drilling, so but nothing that someone with basic competence can't handle.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Special Edition
Thats friggin sick !!!!! Slammed
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
Zyklon-SS

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
Sick!!
Zyklon-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Looks amazing! I wanted this for mine but was out of my budget. How much did you spend?

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
One Sick Camaro
That Cam though...

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS 02 T/A WS6 15 SSV
looks awesome it's been on my list of mods
Old 05-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
AirLift makes a really nice system. Wish I'd thought about it when I was getting lowering springs. Looks SWEET, enjoy!