Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Beau0311

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS V6 - Automatic
2012 V6 LS Engine upgrade

Ok so I would like some advise on engines... I want to upgrade my V6 engine to an engine with more horse... I was looking at putting in a supercharger thats made for the V6.. its about $5200... But I think I would rather just put in a new engine... how much work would this be? and how much would it run me? I know its a big project... but what engine would fit in my LS camaro and be legal?

Heres some pics of my camaro. I have magnaflow exhaust and K&N Intake. I did the stripes myself too.

Beau0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
CamaroWinz

Drives: 2LT/RS (TBD)
I think, all said and done, mods on a V6 should still leave you having spent less money than you would have spent on an SS. Otherwise, what's the point of buying an LS or LT?

Last edited by CamaroWinz; 05-13-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: dupe
CamaroWinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Dropping in a new engine would be a much larger project than it sounds like on the surface. It would end up costing about as much as a new car.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
CamaroWinz

Drives: 2LT/RS (TBD)
Oh, I like the white on black, though. I'm trying to decide what flavor of "_____ on black" I want. The white looks good. I like the IOM on black a lot, too.
CamaroWinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

Drives: Really Slow
it would be a ton of work. even if you did all the labor yourself. lets say you put an ls3 in. that engine alone is about 6200. you would need a new transmissioin. new ecu...
Old 05-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Just go for the supercharger or twin turbos, that or hold out for the developing cams and get them all.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Look into the IPF supercharger for the V6....they are even offering a warranty with it (as long as you are not running too many additional mods). Advertised at over 400 wheel horsepower and 360 wheel torque...so you can assume 480 to 500 crank HP and 430 to 450 crank TQ.

Theres your solution. Of course some supporting mods would be good with it (driveline, suspension, tires) but not needed right from the get go.

Otherwise, there is the RX supercharger or the RX twin turbo builds which are high quality, but no warranty.

These are all cheaper and easier than doing a new engine build would be.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Look into the IPF supercharger for the V6....they are even offering a warranty with it (as long as you are not running too many additional mods). Advertised at over 400 wheel horsepower and 360 wheel torque...so you can assume 480 to 500 crank HP and 430 to 450 crank TQ.

Theres your solution. Of course some supporting mods would be good with it (driveline, suspension, tires) but not needed right from the get go.

Otherwise, there is the RX supercharger or the RX twin turbo builds which are high quality, but no warranty.

These are all cheaper and easier than doing a new engine build would be.
Listen to him... he is one of the v6 mod gods...
Old 05-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedveins View Post
Listen to him... he is one of the v6 mod gods...
lol...thanks man I appreciate it. I've done my homework and I enjoy offering up any advice I can, but far from one of the "mod Gods" on here...my budget only allows so much at a time lol
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #10
matt6589

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Advertised at over 400 wheel horsepower and 360 wheel torque...so you can assume 480 to 500 crank HP and 430 to 450 crank TQ.
I couldn't find explicit advertisement on the site of the HP and TQ as at the rear wheels. Is it really true that the numbers quoted on the site are at the wheels? And are those estimates of crank HP and TQ fairly accurate? I'm not questioning what you said, just very very curious and somewhat uneducated on this topic!
matt6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
11 Camaro IBM

Drives: Camaro IBM
Yes it is accurate 480 is a good aprox I personally am going to do cams to get to 400 at the crank then supercharger with rx to get close to 500 but I will be getting an aftermarket warranty
11 Camaro IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:29 AM   #12
J666

Drives: Camaro
Like others have said, it would cost way too much dropping in a new engine. Sell your car, and find a used SS for $25K (they are out there).
J666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
Ir0nM4n

Drives: 14 1LE
Exactly, what everyone else has stated. Your suspension is different, if you had a manual then you would of had the SS rear end. Either you go SC or Turbo, or sell car and buy an SS. What exactly are you looking for if the SC isnt going to be enough? Did you know what you wanted when you purchased the LS? Or was it a gift?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
Beau0311

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS V6 - Automatic
Thanks for the input guys... I guess ill def go the supercharger route... At least ill be able to hang with the unmoded V8s lol good enough for me since I dont race on a track. I just want a sweet street car. Im getting new black rims for it too prob next week. Maybe with some white accents in them. Thanks KMprenger!
Beau0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #15
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
Beau0311, the guys here have already pretty much covered it.....and it seems you have made your choice, which considering what you proposed, is a smart move on your part.....it truely was either SCing or Turboing the V6, OR trade in for a SS, those truely were the only real options, considering you had a budget and you were trying to stick to it.

OH and BTW......CONGRATS on the ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wive's, husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #16
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Is anyone running these superchargers yet? Just curious what kind of times S/C'd LLTs are pulling.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #17
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: Supercharged V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Is anyone running these superchargers yet? Just curious what kind of times S/C'd LLTs are pulling.
Check out Smoke1LT's build he has the RX SC from Tracy. He brought it to pony wars and made me
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
There is a video of a supercharged LS on the steelie rims and stock tires running a 13.0 flat. I'd think with some good tires and a decent launch you'd be looking at mid 12s
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #19
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt6589 View Post
I couldn't find explicit advertisement on the site of the HP and TQ as at the rear wheels. Is it really true that the numbers quoted on the site are at the wheels? And are those estimates of crank HP and TQ fairly accurate? I'm not questioning what you said, just very very curious and somewhat uneducated on this topic!
Well, now I can't find their official thread, but I know I saw a dyno video with an IPF car putting out over 400 at the wheels...could be wrong though. One guy with the IPF and an LLT V6 is claiming he got 392HP at the wheels. Still not too bad.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
2014camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Well, now I can't find their official thread, but I know I saw a dyno video with an IPF car putting out over 400 at the wheels...could be wrong though. One guy with the IPF and an LLT V6 is claiming he got 392HP at the wheels. Still not too bad.
heres the dyno

Here is V6 vs SS:
2014camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #21
skinzrule

Drives: 2012 chevy camaro ls1
hey kpm, hope u can help me, i have a 2012 ls and wanna do a tune. how was the trifecta tune? did it show a significant increase??
skinzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #22
blackswan

Drives: Yes
Looks like an LFX version is coming...

blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #23
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzrule View Post
hey kpm, hope u can help me, i have a 2012 ls and wanna do a tune. how was the trifecta tune? did it show a significant increase??
I can't say nothing but good things about Trifecta, the work they've done for us, and their customer service. That said, I have still not seen a tuned LFX by them yet. I know Vince (the tuner) will do an LFX, but I'm not sure how many he has done so far or what the gains might be.

On the LLT he was able to get 13rwhp at peak, with decent torque gains across the RPM range, but can't remember that peak number. For me, the tune seemed to make the car more responsive and I was pretty happy with it.

But again its hard to say what tuners may be able to do with the LFX until we start seeing some testing and dyno graphs pop up. I saw Google for the trifecta website and if you can find an email address, shoot them an email asking about the LFX. Usually Vince is very good at replying to emails withing a day or two.

Buying the tunes through BadNewsRacing seems to be a good place to get a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Looks like an LFX version is coming...

It is already here...IPF is currently offering SC kits for the LLT and LFX.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
I hate to be the kill joy but honestly drop the v6 and just buy an SS. As someone who has done a v6 to v8 engine swap before, it's a LOT of work. And it's not like a supercharger or twin turbo kit is going to be any less amount of work and headache. All the work and money and you're still only at unmodded v8 territory. And then you'll also be fighting constant break downs and headaches... the reliability factor when you're doing some serious HP upgrades just isn't there.

Unless you have an extreme sentimental value to your car (like I have with my 1994), there's truly no reason to sell what you have and get what you really want. Especially considering how many people were able to trade in their v6 for an SS without taking a huge hit on the value of their v6.

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #25
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
I hate to be the kill joy but honestly drop the v6 and just buy an SS. As someone who has done a v6 to v8 engine swap before, it's a LOT of work. And it's not like a supercharger or twin turbo kit is going to be any less amount of work and headache. All the work and money and you're still only at unmodded v8 territory. And then you'll also be fighting constant break downs and headaches... the reliability factor when you're doing some serious HP upgrades just isn't there.

Unless you have an extreme sentimental value to your car (like I have with my 1994), there's truly no reason to sell what you have and get what you really want. Especially considering how many people were able to trade in their v6 for an SS without taking a huge hit on the value of their v6.
I pretty much agree. For some people, it's a V6 thing. They love it and want to mod it, and enjoy getting all that power out of the "underdog." If you're one of those people, than it's totally cool. BUT, it sounds more like you are just regretting not getting the V8 in the first place.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote