Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140
 
1st Gen Forever's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 595
Shelby GT500 vs Camaro ZL1 Track Test Video - Inside Line


Featured on Camaro5 HOMEPAGE


1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
LimaCharlie


 
LimaCharlie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,574
It's nice to finally see a GT500 vs. ZL1 video. After all the GT500 and ZL1 threads, nobody should be surprised here. GT500 has the acceleration advantage and the ZL1 handles better.
__________________
2011 Summit White Camaro 1SS/RS
-6.2 LS3, TR6060, 3.45, G80

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels
 
Ron66Vette&10SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 SS Hot Wheels & 66 L79 Corvette
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Derby, Kansas
Posts: 766
FINALLY.....a direct comparison between the ZL1 and '13 GT500
__________________
Previous Cars: '78 Z28, '92 Z28, '95 Z28, '85 Corvette, '01 SS, '96 Z28, '04 Z06 Corvette, '10 SS
Current Cars: '13 SS Hot Wheels (daily driver), '04 Trailblazer (rain & snow)'66 Corvette (restoring),
Ron66Vette&10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
JMAN311

 
JMAN311's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 #386
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 2,198
Well that pretty much went down the way I was expecting. Thanks for posting.
__________________
2013 ZL1 Coupe
Delivered 7/24
2G1FL1EP1D9800386
SIM | A6 | Black 10-Spoke Wheels | ECF Hood Insert | Illuminated Footwells | Satin Nickel Fuel Door
_____________________________________________
Previous Chevy's
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
MrDew
 
MrDew's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #165
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Switzerland (no longer Houston, TX) :-(
Posts: 476
I think everyone with an unbiased opinion could have seen this coming based on the numbers!
MrDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
charly_rock
 
charly_rock's Avatar
 
Drives: soon => ZL1 #1512
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 43
I am cool with our #'s.
charly_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
coanbread23
 
Drives: 2011 chevy camaro ss
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: los angeles
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
It's nice to finally see a GT500 vs. ZL1 video. After all the GT500 and ZL1 threads, nobody should be surprised here. GT500 has the acceleration advantage and the ZL1 handles better.
Didnt the SVT beat the ZL1 in every aspect of the test?
coanbread23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
Deki

 
Deki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by coanbread23 View Post
Didnt the SVT beat the ZL1 in every aspect of the test?
No, lost slalom and skid pad. .05 on the skid pad is quite a difference as well. We'll see how composed the GT500 is on a road course. Decent video. MT just needs to stick RP behind the wheel of both of these beasts and let him beat the hell out of them at Willow.
__________________
2011 GT Premium//Performance White...a little modded
Deki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
LSX-V
 
Drives: 2011 CTS-V
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ca
Posts: 2
You should see the kool aid drinking svt forum owners. They are trying to downplay and hate on the zl1. Excuses such as: These guys don't know how to test cars, The gt500 goes straight faster and that's the only thing that matters, Whoopdy the zl1 goes fast in a circle.

I own a cts-v and anyone whos driven an lsa car with mag ride knows what I'm talking about when I say it's a very well balanced car. It kills my 12 gt500 svt perf package car on the same twisty roads.

That being said It seems as though the cts-v got similar numbers on the same test despite being 300lbs heavier and around 30hp down.





GM ZL1 CTS-V <3
LSX-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
lakersftbl69

 
lakersftbl69's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss/rs
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: kingston ma.
Posts: 1,373
After watching this I feel like the zl1 still didnt do that bad in the 1/4 mile with that extra weight and less power I'm still a proud camaro fan doesn't matter what.
__________________
ordered dec 15 2008 picked up on june 8 2009.
upgrades kooks 1 3/4" LTH w/ high flow cats, roto fab cai, corsa exhaust, rx catch can, hurst short throw shifter. stage 3 comp cam, 3.91 gears 445rwhp 410 rwtq all installed and dyno tuned from slowhawk performance.
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
derklug

 
derklug's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Boss 302
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Posts: 1,253
This is just what people have thought since the GT500 anounced 650+hp. The ZL1 would lose at the strip, but be better at the track. Now it is going to depend on the track, small tight tracks will make the ZL1 shine, larger tracks with bigger turns and straights will favor the GT500. Unfortunatly for most of these cars, the only track they will see is the one that leads into the garage and allows room for the owner to get all the way around it to get the cover on correctly.
__________________
The biggest mistakes in life come when you know exactly what you are doing.
derklug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
mdmoore23
 
Drives: 2008 Z06
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Graniteville,SC
Posts: 40
That video was hardly the comparison I'd like to see. Somebody test these things on a track. Lap times please.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
tsnow
 
tsnow's Avatar
 
Drives: 12' ZL1, AGM 6M
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 49th state
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX-V View Post
You should see the kool aid drinking svt forum owners. They are trying to downplay and hate on the zl1. Excuses such as: These guys don't know how to test cars, The gt500 goes straight faster and that's the only thing that matters, Whoopdy the zl1 goes fast in a circle.

I own a cts-v and anyone whos driven an lsa car with mag ride knows what I'm talking about when I say it's a very well balanced car. It kills my 12 gt500 svt perf package car on the same twisty roads.

That being said It seems as though the cts-v got similar numbers on the same test despite being 300lbs heavier and around 30hp down.

This is one thing I don't understand, CTS-V is heavier and down 24hp, and ZL-1 has more tire to put it down.
The Camaro should drop a few tenths there, no?
tsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #14
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels
 
Ron66Vette&10SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 SS Hot Wheels & 66 L79 Corvette
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Derby, Kansas
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnow View Post
This is one thing I don't understand, CTS-V is heavier and down 24hp, and ZL-1 has more tire to put it down.
The Camaro should drop a few tenths there, no?
More HP & less weight can be negated by excessive torque management......not that GM would have done that to "fix" a drivetrain durability issue during the mystery QC Hold or anything......that would be crazy talk.
__________________
Previous Cars: '78 Z28, '92 Z28, '95 Z28, '85 Corvette, '01 SS, '96 Z28, '04 Z06 Corvette, '10 SS
Current Cars: '13 SS Hot Wheels (daily driver), '04 Trailblazer (rain & snow)'66 Corvette (restoring),

Last edited by Ron66Vette&10SS; 06-12-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Ron66Vette&10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #15
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels
 
Ron66Vette&10SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 SS Hot Wheels & 66 L79 Corvette
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Derby, Kansas
Posts: 766
Print Version

Here's a print version of the test:
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...ison-test.html

Seems like they took them out on some "back roads" and made it sound like the ZL1 put a lot of ground between it and the GT500 in the turns. They got the best 1/4 times for the Shelby with Launch Control, and for the ZL1 their best was without.

Pretty interesting read . Overall, it seems like they prefer the ZL1.
__________________
Previous Cars: '78 Z28, '92 Z28, '95 Z28, '85 Corvette, '01 SS, '96 Z28, '04 Z06 Corvette, '10 SS
Current Cars: '13 SS Hot Wheels (daily driver), '04 Trailblazer (rain & snow)'66 Corvette (restoring),
Ron66Vette&10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #16
Deki

 
Deki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,647
^ They do prefer the ZL1. An interesting thing they brought up in the article...they said the GT500 had trouble getting into 2nd gear on aggressive shifts. I thought that the head of SVT specifically addressed this issue and said the revised syncros and gearing would get rid of that. Apparently not. It's starting to look grim for the super-Stang, even with the 100hp power advantage, initial non-instrumented tests on real roads show the ZL1 to be the more usable car. I think mag times will show the same thing, unless they test both cars at a very smooth and nearly perfect track where there is 1. no bumps 2. no quick changes of elevation. Great write up. They should have included all of that information in the video while they were at it.
__________________
2011 GT Premium//Performance White...a little modded
Deki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #17
oortcloud
 
oortcloud's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Join Date: May 2012
Location: retired
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron66Vette&10SS View Post
Here's a print version of the test:
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...ison-test.html
That was a good read. Both cars have their good and bad points. They did favor the zl1 in the end however.

It was interesting to read the complaints about the shelby's shifting. I know both cars have the tremec 6060 but why would the shelby shift so much differently?

Last edited by oortcloud; 06-12-2012 at 05:35 AM.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #18
doc7000
 
Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lomita,CA
Posts: 247
I think this was predicted, that the GT500 would be faster in a line and the ZL1 Camaro would corner better.

Though from the inside line article it pretty much states that the ZL1 Camaro was the better drivers car. They stated that it launched easier, shifted better, and handled better, and that on the back roads the GT500 couldn't keep up.

This was a same day, same driver test so it has the most merit of all of the GT500 vs ZL1 Camaro stuff that we have so far. Though should wait to see if this sentiment is shared among other testers or if it is just insideline.

They also stated that its ride was nicer to you then the GT500 but also stated that the GT500 doesn't beat you up either.

In other words the conclusion from the article is that the ZL1 Camaro is imply the better performance car.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #19
newmoon

 
newmoon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 5.0 Mustang, Brembo Track Pack
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX-V View Post
You should see the kool aid drinking svt forum owners. They are trying to downplay and hate on the zl1. Excuses such as: These guys don't know how to test cars, The gt500 goes straight faster and that's the only thing that matters, Whoopdy the zl1 goes fast in a circle.

I own a cts-v and anyone whos driven an lsa car with mag ride knows what I'm talking about when I say it's a very well balanced car. It kills my 12 gt500 svt perf package car on the same twisty roads.

That being said It seems as though the cts-v got similar numbers on the same test despite being 300lbs heavier and around 30hp down.





GM ZL1 CTS-V <3

It's funny they have been screaming over there for a direct comparison of the two cars same day, same track, same driver for almost 6 months. Now they get what they ask for and they do not like the results
__________________
Presently Car-Less
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2012 Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #20
72MachOne99GT

 
72MachOne99GT's Avatar
 
Drives: 1972 Mach 1, 1999 GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 892
What's not to like?

I like the results, stops and goes faster (123 trap vs 116)
Within a mph or so on slalom
And loses skidpad (though I expect both cars to go up a tiny bit since last years PP car went 1.00 or 1.01)

I haven't read the text version yet, but I seriously doubt anyone at stvperformance is upset by the results.....

What we didn't like, as some of you know and have expressed, real drivers and a real road course comparison is what we want (we being some ford guys but not me, I couldn't make it a full lap around a road course yet lol)
__________________
2013 GT500- Grabber Blue/stripe delete, Base, Recaros,
1999 GT- Atlantic Blue, gears, exhaust, tires 13.6@100
1972 Mach 1- Med Lime Green Metallic, 351-4V, auto,
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #21
Bob Cosby
 
Drives: 2010 Vette
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
That video was hardly the comparison I'd like to see. Somebody test these things on a track. Lap times please.
Agreed. Even so, the results are what most folks should have been prepared for....on both sides of the arguement.

And guys...Kool-Aid is the drink of choice on BOTH sides....its simply a matter of which color you drink.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #22
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
No, lost slalom and skid pad. .05 on the skid pad is quite a difference as well. We'll see how composed the GT500 is on a road course. Decent video. MT just needs to stick RP behind the wheel of both of these beasts and let him beat the hell out of them at Willow.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by epkmvuoq View Post
I fail,,,I loose,,,I will admit ,,I will not deny. Your mustang is unquestionably the best and fastest thing on god given earth. ,,,,,,please,it hurts me when you say the deny and fail thing. ONE MORE TIME,,,,I HAVE FAILED,,,,,I DRIVE A BIG FAT SLOW LS3 CAMARO THAT WILL NEVER,NEVER,NEVER IN ANY WAY OUT RUN A MUSTANG. AND MY CAMARO IS VERY UGLY !! YOU ARE SO LUCKY AND FORTUNATE TO HAVE THAT COYOTE.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #23
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
What's not to like?

I like the results, stops and goes faster (123 trap vs 116)
Within a mph or so on slalom
And loses skidpad (though I expect both cars to go up a tiny bit since last years PP car went 1.00 or 1.01)

I haven't read the text version yet, but I seriously doubt anyone at stvperformance is upset by the results.....

What we didn't like, as some of you know and have expressed, real drivers and a real road course comparison is what we want (we being some ford guys but not me, I couldn't make it a full lap around a road course yet lol)
Basically, it was 2 for 2 in that test. I'm still suspicious as to why these things are only trapping in the teens.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by epkmvuoq View Post
I fail,,,I loose,,,I will admit ,,I will not deny. Your mustang is unquestionably the best and fastest thing on god given earth. ,,,,,,please,it hurts me when you say the deny and fail thing. ONE MORE TIME,,,,I HAVE FAILED,,,,,I DRIVE A BIG FAT SLOW LS3 CAMARO THAT WILL NEVER,NEVER,NEVER IN ANY WAY OUT RUN A MUSTANG. AND MY CAMARO IS VERY UGLY !! YOU ARE SO LUCKY AND FORTUNATE TO HAVE THAT COYOTE.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #24
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,281
Spoiler

GT500 - 11.9 @ 123 mph
ZL1 - 12.4 @ 116 mph

"the GT500 is much quicker"
As far as handling "it's no contest" - ZL1 is the much better handling car.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #25
72MachOne99GT

 
72MachOne99GT's Avatar
 
Drives: 1972 Mach 1, 1999 GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 892
What was 2 for 2?

I saw a power/speed advantage for Team Blue, and handling/drivability for Team Gold/Bowtie.
__________________
2013 GT500- Grabber Blue/stripe delete, Base, Recaros,
1999 GT- Atlantic Blue, gears, exhaust, tires 13.6@100
1972 Mach 1- Med Lime Green Metallic, 351-4V, auto,
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.