Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,072
Redeem Thyself

As much as I like the ZL1, the GT500 performance wise has trumped it. They had to with their "old" machine or go home. They also new that GM was using their '12 GT500 for comparison.

GM to now trump the Mustang lets see a Z28/LS7. It will give you the marketing payback that the Camaro deserves. It will at a competitive price put the hurts to the Boss LS. Giving the Camaro the title of domestic street/race car, not GT car. C'mon GM answer back with the Camaro's most revered weapon...the Z28!

2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
ugh. ford hasn't trumped the ZL1. the 13 gt500 is an amazing machine. but even motortrend showed it's short comings and that was it's brakes, and handling. the ZL1 still out handles it. I would love to see the ZL1 on par with power and what it could do then. I would still expect the 500 to have the 1/4 mile but it would be closer then you'd expect due to traction out of the hole with the wider tires on the ZL1.

I still think the LS7 is a pipe dream. I'm still a believer that gen V motor will be the one they choose for the Z28. if not that a revamped version of the ls3, ala grand sport. but I do believe they need the z28. sales just don't show it though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
ugh. ford hasn't trumped the ZL1. the 13 gt500 is an amazing machine. but even motortrend showed it's short comings and that was it's brakes, and handling. the ZL1 still out handles it. I would love to see the ZL1 on par with power and what it could do then. I would still expect the 500 to have the 1/4 mile but it would be closer then you'd expect due to traction out of the hole with the wider tires on the ZL1.

I still think the LS7 is a pipe dream. I'm still a believer that gen V motor will be the one they choose for the Z28. if not that a revamped version of the ls3, ala grand sport. but I do believe they need the z28. sales just don't show it though.
Yes, The Camaro is the more advanced & better value GT, but the GT500 is the "more" hardcore performer. Don't get me wrong I prefer the ZL1 over the GT500 if I was wanting a fully loaded "GT". However as I've stated many times I'm not looking for a Camaro GT. This is why I've held out in hopes of the Z28. It's why many in this section of the forum have discussed at great lengths what a Z28 should be and why immeadiatly we knew the ZL1 was not a Z28 (even GM knew it hence the name change).

BTW, I would like a new GenV engine, but wouldn't the base model V8 be released first? Also a revamped LS3 would add time and cost to a near dead design. (and they didn't even change it for the GS Vette).
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
General Lee
 
Drives: 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
As much as I like the ZL1, the GT500 performance wise has trumped it. They had to with their "old" machine or go home. They also new that GM was using their '12 GT500 for comparison.

GM to now trump the Mustang lets see a Z28/LS7. It will give you the marketing payback that the Camaro deserves. It will at a competitive price put the hurts to the Boss LS. Giving the Camaro the title of domestic street/race car, not GT car. C'mon GM answer back with the Camaro's most revered weapon...the Z28!

GM already has a car that trumps Ford.
The Corvette!!!
The camaro is GM's 2nd best. And still an awesome car!
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,072
Thanks for your insight.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS/1LE...in 2014
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
GM already has a car that trumps Ford.
The Corvette!!!
The camaro is GM's 2nd best. And still an awesome car!
Corvette maybe the top flagship in performance, but the Camaro is top dog in bringing home the bacon in that category
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
camarofreak
 
camarofreak's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Silverado LT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 168
Its a long shot but i hope they put a 302 engine in the Z28 but of course the Z28 would have to be made next generation. But i think GM wants the Z28 to be a big boom and destroy the mustang. They (GM) wants the Z28 to be special thats why I think they wont make it this generation.
camarofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
He11bent
 
He11bent's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS 'vert
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 492
Dude, You drive a Miata and have posted almost 2400 times on this forum. Its great you want a Z28 and I applaud your enthusiasm. But really? Your posting about articles youve read and your not even a GM customer and your making demands on how R&D money is spent? How much weight do you think that carries?
__________________
\(^^^)/ <--A Smile From He11

New Era OTR Intake
RX Catch Can
Escort 9500ix w/Firewire
Garmin GPS Hardwire
Peddlers Stage 1 Radius Rod Bush Inserts
Oracle Plasma Halo DRLs
He11bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by He11bent View Post
Dude, You drive a Miata and have posted almost 2400 times on this forum. Its great you want a Z28 and I applaud your enthusiasm. But really? Your posting about articles youve read and your not even a GM customer and your making demands on how R&D money is spent? How much weight do you think that carries?
Actually this forum does have some weight to it...


NOW APPEARING AT A CAMARO5FEST NEAR YOU: (...as in "Indianapolis"...)


Al Oppenheiser - Chief Engineer - Camaro


Dave Leone -- Global Vehicle Line Executive - RWD and Performance Cars


Margaret Brooks - Product Director


Lerick Chissus - Program Validation Engineer


Mark Dickens - -Performance Variant Engineer - Camaro


John Fitzpatrick - Marketing Manager - Camaro/Corvette


Sabrina Groshek -- Vehicle Line Director - RWD and Performance Cars


Jim Kalahar -- Program Planning Manager - Camaro


Aaron Link -- Lead Development Engineer - Camaro


Jack Pantaleo - Brand Quality Manager - Camaro


Cheryl Pilcher - Product Manager - Camaro


Scott Roberts - Manager - Chevrolet Accessories


Richard Scheer -- Manager - Camaro Design


Scott Settlemire -- Manager - Specialty Vehicles and Events


Monte Doran - Manager - Chevrolet Communications


Daniel Gifford - Design Manager - Vehicle Accessories


Adam Barry - Creative Designer - Accessories


Anthony Biondo -- Assistant Advertising Manager


Sarah Hughes - Product Manager - Accessories


Rodney Layton - Assistant Program Planning Manager



It has to have a little bit of weight for GM to take this much interest in CAMARO5!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 2,386
How much weight they (meaning 2cnd chance's opinions, not just the one in this thread) carry depends on how much weight any of the above folks care to give them.

They may have some value as opinions from outside the Camaro community from somebody with competition experience as opposed to, say, "geez, I really like that new color" or "ummm, don't really care for XXX". Beyond that . . . I haven't been around long enough to even speculate.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by He11bent View Post
Dude, You drive a Miata and have posted almost 2400 times on this forum. Its great you want a Z28 and I applaud your enthusiasm. But really? Your posting about articles youve read and your not even a GM customer and your making demands on how R&D money is spent? How much weight do you think that carries?
I'll take it as you've not educated yourself throughout this secion of the forum. Take a read through what's been discussed and you may better undersand why I started this thread. If you want something bad enough you gotta ask for it. Make your case establishing why and ask away until a firm no is made. My kids are relentless. Both I and others knew that from the beginning the now ZL1 and then Z28 was not a Z28. I'll hold out till the last of the 5Gens then decide where I'm at if no Z28 is produced. Thanks for noticing my level of patience. Oh and I was a diehard Camaro, TA and Formula guy for years till the quality got so low. I'm glad to say that GM is winning me over with their products again.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

They may have some value as opinions from outside the Camaro community from somebody with competition experience as opposed to, say, "geez, I really like that new color" or "ummm, don't really care for XXX". Beyond that . . . I haven't been around long enough to even speculate.


Norm
Got ya!

The Camaro team spends quite a bit of time around here listening and discussing with us. One of the way's we communicate is through the "disciples". The disciples are a group of Camaro enthusiast's (non GM employees) who sit down with GM behind closed doors and discuss their/our wants and such. GM has listened and has made changes based off of the input received from this community! It is really impressive actually....



For example....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=disciples
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by He11bent View Post
Dude, You drive a Miata and have posted almost 2400 times on this forum. Its great you want a Z28 and I applaud your enthusiasm. But really? Your posting about articles youve read and your not even a GM customer and your making demands on how R&D money is spent? How much weight do you think that carries?
Perhaps you need to spend a little more time on the Z/28 forum so you'll better understand the people that are regulars here, where their excitement, enthusiasm and experience comes from, and what the majority of the die hard Z/28 fans want to see.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Perhaps you need to spend a little more time on the Z/28 forum so you'll better understand the people that are regulars here, where their excitement, enthusiasm and experience comes from, and what the majority of the die hard Z/28 fans want to see.
Clyde


One thing IS "for sure"...no demand, no supply...
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Perhaps you need to spend a little more time on the Z/28 forum so you'll better understand the people that are regulars here, where their excitement, enthusiasm and experience comes from, and what the majority of the die hard Z/28 fans want to see.
Clyde
It's nice to be understood.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post


One thing IS "for sure"...no demand, no supply...
Exactly! I would love to have a free place to gather input from product lovers. If GM didn't look at these threads shame on them! (but I know they do )
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,526
One thing is for sure, if GM waits until the 6th Gen for the Z28, they better make it worth the wait.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
One thing is for sure, if GM waits until the 6th Gen for the Z28, they better make it worth the wait.
They can swing the marketing pendulum back to the Camaro with the Z28/LS7. If they wait too long sales will decline and they will give the Mustang control again in the pony car wars.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #19
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
They can swing the marketing pendulum back to the Camaro with the Z28/LS7. If they wait too long sales will decline and they will give the Mustang control again in the pony car wars.
They might be able to. Using the sales from this gen for development, I think they should make the Z28 the focus of the 6th gen launch. Unless the 1LE is actually a test bed for the Z28, I don't know if it will make a comeback in this gen.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #20
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
If GM didn't look at these threads shame on them! (but I know they do )
I've got the whip marks to prove it...
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
They might be able to. Using the sales from this gen for development, I think they should make the Z28 the focus of the 6th gen launch. Unless the 1LE is actually a test bed for the Z28, I don't know if it will make a comeback in this gen.
Gotta sell in the meantime. The Camaro's more than paid for, time to start pushing marketing harder as the car ages, ala Gt500 and the rest of the Mustang lineup.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
I've got the whip marks to prove it...
Ouch!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #23
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 3,983
No pain...no GAIN...
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #24
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Gotta sell in the meantime. The Camaro's more than paid for, time to start pushing marketing harder as the car ages, ala Gt500 and the rest of the Mustang lineup.
Exactly and make sure what ever they deliver lives up to the hype.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #25
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Exactly and make sure what ever they deliver lives up to the hype.
We've made it easy for them by spelling out the recipe using on hand parts. A BIG no brainier, IMHO.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.