Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Review: Drove a '12 SS (stick) and '13 1LS (stick) in the last few days

First off the new '13 mirror is great looking and feels like it provides better visibility than the '12. That said having the rear view image in the '12 mirror feels better than the Mylink rear view camera (only one place to look).

I sat in a '13 2LT (didn't drive) and the Mylink (sans NAV) was pretty good. It was responsive and easy to figure out. The sound was reasonable as well. Highly recommended. My aftermarket pioneer avic 930 in my X5 has a noticeable touch screen delay. No such issue with the Mylink. I did notice two ways to get to the same function. For example there is a physical config button and a soft config button. Both take you to the same place. This is not a show stopper, but the duplicate soft buttons should go. An issue to be aware of is the twin verticle plastic chrome strips. When the sun is just right, glare is an issue. The angle of the face plate to the driver is not the issue I thought it would be for radio controls. For the backup camera, I'm not so sure. You really have to look down for the image. When doing so using the rear view mirrors doesn't work so well.

In my opinion, the new '13 wheels are not as attractive as the '12's. The center section is the problem area. If possible I'd swap the '13 wheels for '10-'12s.

The shifter in the '13 is better if you shift by pushing your thumb. The '13 doesn't have center line stitching so it is more comfortable. The '13 shifter still has the Naugahyde shift boot. I'd suggest upgrading to the dsvcustoms boot or similar.

The '13 e brake and lower center console are still the same. I was hoping for a trim upgrade to match the seats better. Oh well.

There is still a single brake fluid and clutch fluid reservoir in the '13 ( dot 3). I was hoping for 2 in the '13.

The exhaust looks the same. I base this on the mufflers.

The biggest issue I had with the 1LS was the clutch. It simply is not in the same league as the 2SS clutch. You can not shift they way you would a 2 SS. I smelt a lot of clutch in the '13 1LS. The salesman told me I was just being too aggressive with the 1 LS. He asked if I was used to a 2 SS or ZL1, as I let the clutch out quickly. He said I needed to take my time on the 1LS clutch and let it out more slowly. When I did this the smell went away, but it was not as much fun to drive. I drove a '12 1 LS in the past month and I do not believe it had the same issue. This may be a true issue or my time with the '12 SS in between may have colored my opinion.

So the '13 is a worthy upgrade. That said in a perfect world I'd want the '12 wheels and the new rear view mirror but with the '12 backup camera in the mirror and a better clutch in the 1LS.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I just covered the high lights.

Last edited by intensifi; 07-08-2012 at 07:06 PM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Good review! I figured as much with the rims, etc
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
2Carats
Here comes TrOuBLe

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
interesting