Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
MagnumForceGB


 
MagnumForceGB's Avatar
 
Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, OK
Posts: 2,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
Whoa!!!! I just realized you were in Oklahoma. And actually very close to me! I live practically on the edge of moore. 104th and western. Been wanting to take mine to thunder valley for the first time but haven't had the time. Would love to meet up with you sometime. My wife is actually in love with my Camaro but will always be a truck person at heart lo
I'm only a few blocks away from you actually. If you want, we are probably going to go back out on the 13th or 20th. We can at least show you where to go. The track guys are laid back and will help you if you need it.
__________________
Camaro V6 = 11.840 @ 116.27
MagnumForceGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
awfarley

 
awfarley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
My wife and I finally took our cars to the drag strip and raced them head to head. We both had a full tank of gas and tire pressures were high (40 psi on mine). It was our first time ever racing, so we went to have fun and see if we like it. We loved it, talking about going again real soon. No videos or pictures, hopefully next time we can get some.

Here are our specs:
2010 Camaro V6 (Synergy Green Edition)
ADM Race Scoop
K&N Aircharger
MACE Plenum Spacer
RX 3/8" Intake Manifold Spacer
Trifecta Tune
American Racing Headers LT w/HFC
ARK DT-S
Auto w/ 3.27

2012 Mustang V6 (Grabber Blue Pony Package)
BBK Intake
Borla ATAK
Auto w/ 2.73

I know I need to remove my subwoofer box and spare tire. Also, lower our rear air pressure.

Any suggestions? Also Mustang guys, anything I can do to my wife's car to help her out? Think the gear ratio is really hurting hers.

Here are our time slips, left to right is the order we ran, I was always the right lane. The DA was 3743. On the 4th run, the track guys said I need to stop beating on her. Then the 5th they said I should give her a head start or else I wouldn't be getting any tonight.

I've ran mine at the local 1/8th mile strip and was wondering about some of the times you were hitting at the 1/8th mark. My average is about 9.6 but my best has been a 9.55 on a hot afternoon.

I have a bone stock 2012 V6 and with the mods you have done I expected to see higher numbers.

Am I missing something other than the HP difference in the 2010 to 2012?

If not, good things to come when I add some performance mods.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #20
MagnumForceGB


 
MagnumForceGB's Avatar
 
Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, OK
Posts: 2,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfarley View Post
I've ran mine at the local 1/8th mile strip and was wondering about some of the times you were hitting at the 1/8th mark. My average is about 9.6 but my best has been a 9.55 on a hot afternoon.

I have a bone stock 2012 V6 and with the mods you have done I expected to see higher numbers.

Am I missing something other than the HP difference in the 2010 to 2012?

If not, good things to come when I add some performance mods.
I mostly can't launch for crap right now and the DA here has been very high. I changed out my K&N for a CAI Inc brand CAI so I will see this Friday if that makes a difference. Probably will see my best times in November.

Also Mustang guys, what brand of 3.73 gears should I get? Richmond or Ford Racing?
__________________
Camaro V6 = 11.840 @ 116.27
MagnumForceGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile
 
BaylorCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 5,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
Sounds like fun!

Words of advice: Work on your 60' times. (both of you)



With the Camaro you should be able to be 2.0x pretty easily with the correct tire pressure (~28 psi).

DA is a killer though and I know how you feel, it's usually a couple thousand where I live
__________________
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #22
MagnumForceGB


 
MagnumForceGB's Avatar
 
Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, OK
Posts: 2,901
We went last night and ran, but it wasn't very good. It had rained a few minutes before we got to the track. My second run was my hero run with 14.529 @ 98.06 mph. So maybe switching to the CAI Inc shaved 0.1 seconds off. My wife is right there on breaking into the 14 second range. I'm going to buy her a tuner soon, hopefully that will shave some time off her run.

At the end we would run, go back in line for another run and wait for 30 minutes. There was quite a few track problems. I don't know why but waiting there just completely screwed up my reaction time and launching.

We'll see what happens when we go next time. Really wasn't any change in times or 60' ft times. Just not a good night for us. But we did have fun.
__________________
Camaro V6 = 11.840 @ 116.27
MagnumForceGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #23
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 11,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
We went last night and ran, but it wasn't very good. It had rained a few minutes before we got to the track. My second run was my hero run with 14.529 @ 98.06 mph. So maybe switching to the CAI Inc shaved 0.1 seconds off. My wife is right there on breaking into the 14 second range. I'm going to buy her a tuner soon, hopefully that will shave some time off her run.

At the end we would run, go back in line for another run and wait for 30 minutes. There was quite a few track problems. I don't know why but waiting there just completely screwed up my reaction time and launching.

We'll see what happens when we go next time. Really wasn't any change in times or 60' ft times. Just not a good night for us. But we did have fun.
Hey an improvement is something to be happy about!

You should be much lower into the 14s later this year in cooler weather.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
08-G35s/6MT

 
08-G35s/6MT's Avatar
 
Drives: racecars
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMN
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
My wife and I finally took our cars to the drag strip and raced them head to head. We both had a full tank of gas and tire pressures were high (40 psi on mine). It was our first time ever racing, so we went to have fun and see if we like it. We loved it, talking about going again real soon. No videos or pictures, hopefully next time we can get some.

Here are our specs:
2010 Camaro V6 (Synergy Green Edition)
ADM Race Scoop
K&N Aircharger
MACE Plenum Spacer
RX 3/8" Intake Manifold Spacer
Trifecta Tune
American Racing Headers LT w/HFC
ARK DT-S
Auto w/ 3.27

2012 Mustang V6 (Grabber Blue Pony Package)
BBK Intake
Borla ATAK
Auto w/ 2.73

I know I need to remove my subwoofer box and spare tire. Also, lower our rear air pressure.

Any suggestions? Also Mustang guys, anything I can do to my wife's car to help her out? Think the gear ratio is really hurting hers.

Here are our time slips, left to right is the order we ran, I was always the right lane. The DA was 3743. On the 4th run, the track guys said I need to stop beating on her. Then the 5th they said I should give her a head start or else I wouldn't be getting any tonight.
Wait Thunder Valley ? I live in moore too... Well used too, i live off of sw 134 now. Everyone seems to run much better times up in tulsa where the track prep is supposedly better, never been there myself....
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
MagnumForceGB


 
MagnumForceGB's Avatar
 
Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, OK
Posts: 2,901
I'm off of 104th. May try to run Tulsa once, but its a long drive for both cars. I'm also wondering about my tires, 21k miles on my original all-season tires probably isn't helping. When we move into a bigger house, we may get some drag only tires that we can change out when we go to the track.
__________________
Camaro V6 = 11.840 @ 116.27
MagnumForceGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #26
2012 Mustang GT
 
2012 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Mustang GT, 1998 Cobra
Join Date: May 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 278
Richmond doesnt make bad gears, but usually requiring more shiming to get them exact and are more prone to gear whine. I have always used Ford Racing gears in my cars with good results
2012 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #27
KungFuHamster
 
KungFuHamster's Avatar
 
Drives: Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 428
are you guys completely avoiding the water box?
KungFuHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
MagnumForceGB


 
MagnumForceGB's Avatar
 
Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, OK
Posts: 2,901
We try to right now, but I think my right tires are hitting it. I plan on trying to do an awesome 1 wheel burnout when I go to the track next time and see if that helps.
__________________
Camaro V6 = 11.840 @ 116.27
MagnumForceGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #29
VaporNation
 
Drives: Camaro SS '12
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Marina Del Rey, Ca
Posts: 14
what a lovely couple
VaporNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #30
MagnumForceGB


 
MagnumForceGB's Avatar
 
Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, OK
Posts: 2,901
Since this got bumped, I'll give an update. We haven't been racing since its been over 100 out here. Might go next weekend since I ordered her a bama tune. See how much the bama tune knocks off her ET.
__________________
Camaro V6 = 11.840 @ 116.27
MagnumForceGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #31
MagnumForceGB


 
MagnumForceGB's Avatar
 
Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, OK
Posts: 2,901
Didn't go last night because of the threat of rain. We did get the tune in and I loaded the 91 Race Tune. Wife said there wasn't much of a difference, and when I did a WOT on it the 1-2 shift was over 2 seconds. Read on the internet that you have to disconnect the battery to reset computer values to get rid of that. Going to test it today and hopefully its fixed now.

Real reason I posted though, forgot I had taken this picture last time we were at the track. This was just after we got there and were waiting for tech inspections.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Camaro V6 = 11.840 @ 116.27
MagnumForceGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #32
AZ MSCL
 
AZ MSCL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Challenger RT, 2010 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
My wife and I finally took our cars to the drag strip and raced them head to head. We both had a full tank of gas and tire pressures were high (40 psi on mine). It was our first time ever racing, so we went to have fun and see if we like it. We loved it, talking about going again real soon. No videos or pictures, hopefully next time we can get some.

Here are our specs:
2010 Camaro V6 (Synergy Green Edition)
ADM Race Scoop
K&N Aircharger
MACE Plenum Spacer
RX 3/8" Intake Manifold Spacer
Trifecta Tune
American Racing Headers LT w/HFC
ARK DT-S
Auto w/ 3.27

2012 Mustang V6 (Grabber Blue Pony Package)
BBK Intake
Borla ATAK
Auto w/ 2.73

I know I need to remove my subwoofer box and spare tire. Also, lower our rear air pressure.

Any suggestions? Also Mustang guys, anything I can do to my wife's car to help her out? Think the gear ratio is really hurting hers.

Here are our time slips, left to right is the order we ran, I was always the right lane. The DA was 3743. On the 4th run, the track guys said I need to stop beating on her. Then the 5th they said I should give her a head start or else I wouldn't be getting any tonight.
There are several things you can do for both cars, how much do you have to spend? First, the obvious choice is a supercharger for each. Gears (3.73 or 4.10) for the Mustang would be good to help her launch but doesn't do anything power wise. Headers and a dynotune would certainly help. 17-18" wheels with racing DRs or slicks will help her hook up. Here's a link to someone else's opinion, you might find some ideas helpful (a little dated, from 07): http://www.mustangevolution.com/must...ication-guide/

Without knowing what kind of tree the track uses it's hard to say when to go but if it's a standard one with 3 yellows then green, go on the 3rd yellow (assuming you staged with two lights showing). Avoid spinning the tires. As for the Camaro, many of the tips given in the Mustang article may apply. I wouldn't bother removing the spare or the subwoofer in the Camaro as I don't see it helping much. In all honesty, if you're looking for big HP gains, go to V8's or cheaper, superchargers/twin turbos, dynotunes and gears for the Mustang. Good luck.
__________________
AZ MSCL: 2009 Challenger RT, 2010 Mustang GT Premium.

AZ MSCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #33
08-G35s/6MT

 
08-G35s/6MT's Avatar
 
Drives: racecars
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMN
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Didn't go last night because of the threat of rain. We did get the tune in and I loaded the 91 Race Tune. Wife said there wasn't much of a difference, and when I did a WOT on it the 1-2 shift was over 2 seconds. Read on the internet that you have to disconnect the battery to reset computer values to get rid of that. Going to test it today and hopefully its fixed now.

Real reason I posted though, forgot I had taken this picture last time we were at the track. This was just after we got there and were waiting for tech inspections.
Good thing you didn't go tonight!
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #34
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,704
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
TOTALLY awesome guys.

I have been wanting to line up next to Bonnie in her Vette.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.