Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Jyrine
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cloud City
Posts: 13
Post Wanting to Twin Turbo, Found a Kit....MIGHT be too good to be true.

Alright C5, I'm looking into a twin turbo kit for my 11' SS and I've come across QUITE the steal.

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...twin-turbo.htm

Apparently, this company for the low price (seems low to me) of $8999, will send you a complete Twin turbo kit, capable of producing up to 1000hp on pump gas.


Alright, so what's the catch I'm stuck up on? It claims its BOLT ON with, get this, NO need to change the stock internals.

Now unless I'm missing something, the only thing I know that can actually be bolted on is the E-Force supercharger, and even those can cause little issues. I mean I know the LSX family is built EXTREMELY well...But 1000hp on pump gas and stock internals?

Is this too good to be true? does anyone have experience with them? Am I asking too many questions?


And I'll ask now since I think I know how this TT kit is going to end up, does anyone here know of a site where I can order a really good TT kit? Doesn't need insane HP and TQ seeing as I REALLY don't want to change stock internals. And I mean REALLY don't want too.

Once again, thank you in advance for the help I'm sure you'll provide.
__________________
Camaro leży w sercu, nie w ich rękach.
Jyrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
camslambam
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: C. America
Posts: 1,658
I'd stay away from TTs unless you have a shop to install and do all the other stuff.

Your internals won't handle that much power. Internals are different in all cars but I think a good stopping point is 650rwhp, or about 10psi. Anything over that and you're really risking it.

1000HP crank is about 800ish rwhp. You're going to need about 30-40k to get there. (Suspension, transmission, forged internals, cam, just about everything). Probably more to be honest. I have about 630rwhp before my next upgrades and have spent about....$24-25,000.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
JLE58

 
Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ROCKMART, GA
Posts: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrine View Post
Alright C5, I'm looking into a twin turbo kit for my 11' SS and I've come across QUITE the steal.

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...twin-turbo.htm

Apparently, this company for the low price (seems low to me) of $8999, will send you a complete Twin turbo kit, capable of producing up to 1000hp on pump gas.


Alright, so what's the catch I'm stuck up on? It claims its BOLT ON with, get this, NO need to change the stock internals.

Now unless I'm missing something, the only thing I know that can actually be bolted on is the E-Force supercharger, and even those can cause little issues. I mean I know the LSX family is built EXTREMELY well...But 1000hp on pump gas and stock internals?

Is this too good to be true? does anyone have experience with them? Am I asking too many questions?


And I'll ask now since I think I know how this TT kit is going to end up, does anyone here know of a site where I can order a really good TT kit? Doesn't need insane HP and TQ seeing as I REALLY don't want to change stock internals. And I mean REALLY don't want too.

Once again, thank you in advance for the help I'm sure you'll provide.
They make a good kit. A few people on here have that kit... nothing magic about the kit it will blow the motor just the same as the supercharger..... If you want twin turbo than its a pretty good kit.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Turbo99

 
Turbo99's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gainesville,Fl
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrine View Post
Alright C5, I'm looking into a twin turbo kit for my 11' SS and I've come across QUITE the steal.

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...twin-turbo.htm

Apparently, this company for the low price (seems low to me) of $8999, will send you a complete Twin turbo kit, capable of producing up to 1000hp on pump gas.


Alright, so what's the catch I'm stuck up on? It claims its BOLT ON with, get this, NO need to change the stock internals.

Now unless I'm missing something, the only thing I know that can actually be bolted on is the E-Force supercharger, and even those can cause little issues. I mean I know the LSX family is built EXTREMELY well...But 1000hp on pump gas and stock internals?

Is this too good to be true? does anyone have experience with them? Am I asking too many questions?


And I'll ask now since I think I know how this TT kit is going to end up, does anyone here know of a site where I can order a really good TT kit? Doesn't need insane HP and TQ seeing as I REALLY don't want to change stock internals. And I mean REALLY don't want too.

Once again, thank you in advance for the help I'm sure you'll provide.
Almost all the supercharger kits are bolt and come with all that you need with very little issues. Some turbo kits out there that claim bolt on but I have yet to see one come out truoble free.
__________________
Contact me for questions: coopwfo@gmail.com I cant send/receive PMs.
08' F250 CCSB 6.4L Diesel White & Black, Blacked out, 580RWHP @ 55psi 13.21 @ 101mph
10' Camaro 2SS LS3 M6 White & Black, Blacked out, 684 RWHP & 633 FT.LBS @ 10psi 10.82@130mph
TVS2300 ,Hendrix Street Slayer Twin Carbon Clutch, Dana 60 3.73, DSS 1400HP Axles,JRe cam & LaMotta Performance tuned,LPE Fuel, AI Super Chiller,MT ET Streets
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
uniqueskillz
 
uniqueskillz's Avatar
 
Drives: ETMC built 700+hp Twin Turbo LS3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 677
IPS makes a good TT kit. Its a few people on the forum with it. You'll have to keep the boost within reason (I wouldn't go over 650hp) on stock motor.

Kit Details: http://ipsmotorsports.net/ips_motors...t/g-65338.aspx

I just installed the TTI/Granatelli twin turbo kit. I believe the baseline numbers on a LS3 @ 8psi makes 615wrhp/613lbs torq.
uniqueskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
Jyrine
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cloud City
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
They make a good kit. A few people on here have that kit... nothing magic about the kit it will blow the motor just the same as the supercharger..... If you want twin turbo than its a pretty good kit.

Are....are you saying there numbers are real?

I knew the 1000hp thing would quickly blow on stock internals.
But the 663rwhp and 649 ft/lbs of torque reported numbers ACTUALLY work on the stock motor?! Just Bolt on?!!
Mind you I've never really dove into Turbo tech.

I shoulds add I have no intention of producing even that much power, I was just looking for about 100hp/100tq over stock to the wheels.....And I know some people say go for superchargers but I'd much rathre go Twin Turbo.
__________________
Camaro leży w sercu, nie w ich rękach.

Last edited by Jyrine; 07-22-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Needed to clarify
Jyrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
JLE58

 
Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ROCKMART, GA
Posts: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrine View Post
Are....are you saying there numbers are real?

I knew the 1000hp thing would quickly blow on stock internals.
But the 663rwhp and 649 ft/lbs of torque reported numbers ACTUALLY work on the stock motor?! Just Bolt on?!!
Mind you I've never really dove into Turbo tech.

I shoulds add I have no intention of producing even that much power, I was just looking for about 100hp/100tq over stock to the wheels.....And I know some people say go for superchargers but I'd much rathre go Twin Turbo.
Sure with the right amount of boost or size turbos you can make that power.... yeah twins are pretty cool. I like superchargers also so doesnt really matter to me which way people go. Must people that say dont go turbo have never even owned a turbo car same way with people that say superchargers s**k. Its your money get what makes you happy.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
camslambam
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: C. America
Posts: 1,658
for 100 more cam/bolt on would be logical step. Much less prone to failure.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 13,473
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Jyrine...

I wouldn't compare kits based on price... There are several companies out there making TT kits and some are reasonably priced, some not so much... I won't go into my personal thoughts here since I would have to ban myself...

That price from a reputable company seems right in line...

One thing, yes, the kit will make that kind of power, but that's at the extreme range... Your block won't handle it... Install a kit like that, run 7-8 lbs of boost and be close to 600 hp and have a ball... Things nay break at stock power levels... Just be prepared if they do...
__________________
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
east TX Muscle cars

 
east TX Muscle cars's Avatar
 
Drives: 2x 05 Vettes/65'AC cobra/68 camaro
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LONGVIEW, TEXAS
Posts: 845
All they are saying is the kit "CAN" do 1000hp, not that you should on a stock motor. the TT kit is just like the supercharger. put it at 7 PSI to stay very safe, 9 to push it a little and 10-11 to push the limits of the motor. we just installed "uniqueskillz" kit he was talking about and are going to start selling them and installing them. I was very impressed with the results and how well the kit was made. for a Good TT kit your going to spend a MINIMUM of 10K installed.
east TX Muscle cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
uniqueskillz
 
uniqueskillz's Avatar
 
Drives: ETMC built 700+hp Twin Turbo LS3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by east TX Muscle cars View Post
All they are saying is the kit "CAN" do 1000hp, not that you should on a stock motor. the TT kit is just like the supercharger. put it at 7 PSI to stay very safe, 9 to push it a little and 10-11 to push the limits of the motor. we just installed "uniqueskillz" kit he was talking about and are going to start selling them and installing them. I was very impressed with the results and how well the kit was made. for a Good TT kit your going to spend a MINIMUM of 10K installed.

The beast is running flawless by the way Stephen...lol
uniqueskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp
 
pyr0b0y's Avatar
 
Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 4,170
Like everyone has said, you won't be making 1000hp with the stock block. And the turbos might handle that much boost, but at absolute perfect conditions.

I have the IPS kit and love it, no issues with the turbo system I'n 20k miles. I've also seen and heard good things about the granarelli TT kit.

At some point your going to want to add a little more boost, a little more, and a little more until you have to decide if you are going to forge your motor. Once you go forged, your options are limitless with a TT setup!
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
uniqueskillz
 
uniqueskillz's Avatar
 
Drives: ETMC built 700+hp Twin Turbo LS3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
Like everyone has said, you won't be making 1000hp with the stock block. And the turbos might handle that much boost, but at absolute perfect conditions.

I have the IPS kit and love it, no issues with the turbo system I'n 20k miles. I've also seen and heard good things about the granarelli TT kit.

At some point your going to want to add a little more boost, a little more, and a little more until you have to decide if you are going to forge your motor. Once you go forged, your options are limitless with a TT setup!
That's me, I want more boost already...lol. I gotta get with ETMC and decide whether to forge internals or get a lsx376.
uniqueskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
SRT10KLLR

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Down South
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by east TX Muscle cars View Post
All they are saying is the kit "CAN" do 1000hp, not that you should on a stock motor. the TT kit is just like the supercharger. put it at 7 PSI to stay very safe, 9 to push it a little and 10-11 to push the limits of the motor. we just installed "uniqueskillz" kit he was talking about and are going to start selling them and installing them. I was very impressed with the results and how well the kit was made. for a Good TT kit your going to spend a MINIMUM of 10K installed.


The kit is capable of 1000hp but your engine may not be. If you ever build the engine though you could turn up the boost.
__________________
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 RCSB Thunder Road Hemi Sport w/STS Turbo
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 - Silver - Stock
2003 Chevy 1500 RCSB Stepside 400SS - 408 in now awaiting Turbo
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #15
Jyrine
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cloud City
Posts: 13
For one I want to thank everyone for all the helpful information.

Now, I believe I may have missed some stuff in my original post, talking about the 1000rwhp and such kinda threw off my question.

I believe I'm reading this all correctly so bare with me. You're saying I can put out about 5-7lbs of boost from this Twin Turbo kit, without any engine mod, and it should be pretty much run fine?

I mean I realize any modification from stock limits the life a little, but I was under the impression anything besides maybe 1-2lbs would just destroy the motor without it having its compression lowered, and all the gaskets changed to handle the difference. Shows I'm a little behind the times.

So I hate to ask the same question, especially when everyone has been so quick and helpful, but the majority answer seems to be:

1.) 5-7lbs will be fine on stock motor.
2.) This company sells a safe and reliable Twin Turbo kit.
3.) I can complete just do a bolt on job (not me but a shop) and I should find little issue.


Am I correct on all of this?
__________________
Camaro leży w sercu, nie w ich rękach.
Jyrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #16
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrine View Post
For one I want to thank everyone for all the helpful information.

Now, I believe I may have missed some stuff in my original post, talking about the 1000rwhp and such kinda threw off my question.

I believe I'm reading this all correctly so bare with me. You're saying I can put out about 5-7lbs of boost from this Twin Turbo kit, without any engine mod, and it should be pretty much run fine?

I mean I realize any modification from stock limits the life a little, but I was under the impression anything besides maybe 1-2lbs would just destroy the motor without it having its compression lowered, and all the gaskets changed to handle the difference. Shows I'm a little behind the times.

So I hate to ask the same question, especially when everyone has been so quick and helpful, but the majority answer seems to be:

1.) 5-7lbs will be fine on stock motor.
2.) This company sells a safe and reliable Twin Turbo kit.
3.) I can complete just do a bolt on job (not me but a shop) and I should find little issue.


Am I correct on all of this?
1) Yes, 5-7 is perfect, ~600-650 is as far as you want to go on this block
2) Yes, Both Phastek and IPS are great companies. I personally know Sean & Jason from Phastek and they take care of business.
3) Yes, but find a good shop/tuner to do the work.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #17
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey
 
Drives: TT/SS
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Between 10 and 20 PSI
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrine View Post
Alright C5, I'm looking into a twin turbo kit for my 11' SS and I've come across QUITE the steal.

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...twin-turbo.htm

Apparently, this company for the low price (seems low to me) of $8999, will send you a complete Twin turbo kit, capable of producing up to 1000hp on pump gas.


Alright, so what's the catch I'm stuck up on? It claims its BOLT ON with, get this, NO need to change the stock internals.

Now unless I'm missing something, the only thing I know that can actually be bolted on is the E-Force supercharger, and even those can cause little issues. I mean I know the LSX family is built EXTREMELY well...But 1000hp on pump gas and stock internals?

Is this too good to be true? does anyone have experience with them? Am I asking too many questions?


And I'll ask now since I think I know how this TT kit is going to end up, does anyone here know of a site where I can order a really good TT kit? Doesn't need insane HP and TQ seeing as I REALLY don't want to change stock internals. And I mean REALLY don't want too.

Once again, thank you in advance for the help I'm sure you'll provide.
I actually have this kit. I didn't buy it from phastek though.(straight from IPS) the kit is rated for 1000whp but the way it comes running 8.5psi spring it makes around 660 on a 6sp car and that's probably where you should leave it unless you do forged internals. I actually ordered mine and asked for 6psi springs. Made 589 @6psi I didn't want to push the engine so hard. Then I got a Eboost2 to have the ability to adjust. I was missing some coolant lines when I received the kit May 2011 I called them and they sent it to me no questions asked. 18000 miles no issues with the kit.
__________________
Futral Motorsports built and tuned
CyberPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey
 
Drives: TT/SS
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Between 10 and 20 PSI
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrine View Post
For one I want to thank everyone for all the helpful information.

Now, I believe I may have missed some stuff in my original post, talking about the 1000rwhp and such kinda threw off my question.

I believe I'm reading this all correctly so bare with me. You're saying I can put out about 5-7lbs of boost from this Twin Turbo kit, without any engine mod, and it should be pretty much run fine?

I mean I realize any modification from stock limits the life a little, but I was under the impression anything besides maybe 1-2lbs would just destroy the motor without it having its compression lowered, and all the gaskets changed to handle the difference. Shows I'm a little behind the times.

So I hate to ask the same question, especially when everyone has been so quick and helpful, but the majority answer seems to be:

1.) 5-7lbs will be fine on stock motor.
2.) This company sells a safe and reliable Twin Turbo kit.
3.) I can complete just do a bolt on job (not me but a shop) and I should find little issue.


Am I correct on all of this?
If you want to run 5-7 psi make sure you let them know. I don't know what springs they use now but last year it was ~8psi and you can't go below what the wastegate spring is. So request the lower psi springs
__________________
Futral Motorsports built and tuned
CyberPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
camslambam
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: C. America
Posts: 1,658
If I was boosting anything I would look at making sure I had enough injectors and fuel pump. It's critical that you get enough fuel. Now say if you just throw on a TT and boost 5-7psi you probably will be around 500rwhp or something and you probably won't need another fuel pump or injectors, but they're always essential and smart to have.


I would say you can get away with 10psi all day on an LS3 as long as you put good gas through it. Hell I know most people hate it but I would meth the sucker.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey
 
Drives: TT/SS
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Between 10 and 20 PSI
Posts: 709
haven't seen any TTs that low at 5-7. I personally would say injectors are a must. and boost-a-pump or new fuel pump/pumps.
__________________
Futral Motorsports built and tuned
CyberPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #21
Jyrine
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cloud City
Posts: 13
Thanks everyone for the clarity. Surely gave me a direction. Didn't realise our LS3's could handle that time of daily PSI.

I know a few were suggesting higher PSI, forged internals, or meth *cough* camslambam *cough* but I'm looking at keeping it as a daily driver, and that type of stuff won't exactly do good for mourning commutes.

I'll be sure to get a video up of me stomping a GT500 or something once everything is greenlighted.

Until then, thank you guys again for all the helpful information.
__________________
Camaro leży w sercu, nie w ich rękach.
Jyrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #22
Jchaluja

 
Jchaluja's Avatar
 
Drives: Twin Turbo Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,287
I have not read the details on the IPS kit, but I'm sure they will not sell it without the appropriate supporting fuel needs that comes with thw TT's. IPS kit will be perfect IMO, the day you want more power, all you need is work on your internals and you're set.....I know! I started where you are (7 psi) with my TT and now I can push 760 whp if I want with just flipping a switch......I also believe that TT's are easier on the drivetrain and engine itself, but that's a different debate....good luck and feel free to pm me if you have any questions! I've been there, done that for over 3 yrs with my car....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
kit, phastekperformance, stock, turbo, twin turbo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.