Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Kraft Werks
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #1151
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkittrell View Post
Gotch, I understood it wrong then, so is 5th and 6th going to feel flat then?
5th and 6th gear are overdrive gears. They are for fuel economy purposes. They should not be used for acceleration in the quarter.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #1152
Butcher
 
Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkittrell View Post
Gotch, I understood it wrong then, so is 5th and 6th going to feel flat then?

They might "feel flat" compared to gears 1 thru 4, but 5th and 6th will feel the same in an SS and a 1LE. The overall ratios are pretty much the same in both cars. The only major difference will be that the ratio from 4th to 5th will be a little more noticeable in the 1LE, than it would be in an SS. If you were to drive both cars on a race track, the difference would be obvious. However, in normal, every-day driving, most people wouldn't notice a difference.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #1153
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
They might "feel flat" compared to gears 1 thru 4, but 5th and 6th will feel the same in an SS and a 1LE. The overall ratios are pretty much the same in both cars. The only major difference will be that the ratio from 4th to 5th will be a little more noticeable in the 1LE, than it would be in an SS. If you were to drive both cars on a race track, the difference would be obvious. However, in normal, every-day driving, most people wouldn't notice a difference.
This pretty much sums it up. The difference between first gear in a SS and 1LE is 100 rpm. So if you are traveling at x mph at 3000 rpm in a SS, then to travel at the same speed in a 1LE the engine will need to be spinning 3100 rpm.

Second gear between the two is exactly the same.

Third gear is about a 150 rpm difference.

Fourth gear is a 500 rpm difference which is the most significant.

60 rpm Difference in 5th and 6th gear for the 1LE compared to a SS (very minor).
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #1154
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
If you are correct, the 1/4 times may be slower than an SS. Looks like a shift to fourth will be almost guaranteed and depending on the driver, that will cost time. Of course the improved acceleration may help cover the difference. 3rd and 4th gear is a pretty substantial difference IMO. 3rd and 4th gear in a 1LE should pull a lot harder as you are more likely to stay in the power after a shift than the SS. I really want to see performance numbers now!!!
You bring up an interesting point. If they made 3rd gear a little taller, then you would think it would be better in the 1/4 and save you a shift. There are two possibilities. 1. It's a track car and not a drag car so that ratio works out better. 2. We are missing something. Those max speeds are based on the 6600 rpm redline. The hp peak on those motors is 5900 rpm. So maybe it does end up being faster. Time will tell.

If you decide to run a 285/40-20 on the rear instead of a 285/35-20 that would bring it up to 112. If you run a 315/35-20 (the tire will be less stretched on the rim too) then it will be 111.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #1155
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,586
You're going to have to be going "fast" to notice the improvement in 4th compared to the stock SS. On the street I doubt you'll notice it at all because you can't legally go at the speeds necessary to see the benefit of the 1LE's gearing from 3-4. 3rd is going to be slightly better coming out of a corner but 4th is really going to be usable; especially on tracks where you don't have enough room to get into 5th.

Although the ratios are similar in many ways to the SS I suspect the 1LE is going to respond much better to adding power. Get another 100 hp and torque to the rear wheels and the ratios in the 1LE are really going to sparkle.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #1156
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
You're going to have to be going "fast" to notice the improvement in 4th compared to the stock SS. On the street I doubt you'll notice it at all because you can't legally go at the speeds necessary to see the benefit of the 1LE's gearing from 3-4. 3rd is going to be slightly better coming out of a corner but 4th is really going to be usable; especially on tracks where you don't have enough room to get into 5th.

Although the ratios are similar in many ways to the SS I suspect the 1LE is going to respond much better to adding power. Get another 100 hp and torque to the rear wheels and the ratios in the 1LE are really going to sparkle.
To be honest I appreciate the time GM took to change the ratios on the 1LE in the transmission instead of just slapping a final drive ratio on there like the mustang. This allows it to preserve fuel economy and driveability on the street while delivering the advantages from lower gearing on the track. I think it's very nicely done.

The mustang, on the other hand, just slaps on a 3.73 final drive on already some really low gearing and that affects all the gears. It essentially makes first gear useless/redundant on the mustang.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #1157
b4z

 
Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '09 V8 SRX RWD
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,202
1st gear in the mustang has always been super low------ going back to the eighties.
It makes a low rear end not that usable.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #1158
Mike2ss
Airborne Pathfinder
 
Mike2ss's Avatar
 
Drives: Stingray Z51
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Benito, TX
Posts: 1,077
okay, a few extra hp from the exhaust and a few from the new rear end, not much to really compete, I was hoping for around 450 from the factory, this should be pretty easy to get from the LS3.

Either way I think I'm leaning very heavely towards buying one. I do like the looks better.
__________________
Stingray Z51, NPP exhaust
Other cars are- 95 BMW 325 sedan- AA exhaust, AA CAI, AA Strut bar, AA chip, M3 rotors and calipers, racing clutch, oversized injectors, upgraded M3 interior- Audi A5 SLine, with black out optics
Mike2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #1159
mountsalami
 
mountsalami's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS 6M
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 97
1LE appears to be a poor man's ZL1.
My brother has the brand new ZL1 and it's amazing.
I'll stick with my 2SS until they redesign the whole enchilada, as far as body style and engine.
Outside of the ZL1, Chevy is basically using the same car they made in 2010 with very little added of any significance and charging more for it.
I'm in the wait and see mode. I love my 2SS.
mountsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #1160
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 2,685
I would argue that the 1LE is a lot more than "very little added of any significance". The 1LE comes with an amazing amount of upgrades for only $3,500. There is not another car in the market in any segment in recent history that i know of that is such a good deal.

I too would rather have the gen 6 but i dont have the patience to wait. I will take this 1LE until the real Z28 returns after 2015 brings the gen 6.
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #1161
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I would argue that the 1LE is a lot more than "very little added of any significance". The 1LE comes with an amazing amount of upgrades for only $3,500. There is not another car in the market in any segment in recent history that i know of that is such a good deal.

I too would rather have the gen 6 but i dont have the patience to wait. I will take this 1LE until the real Z28 returns after 2015 brings the gen 6.


They've changed some very vital parts of the car to really get the most impact on performance. Sometimes, "less is more".
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #1162
Fraxum


 
Fraxum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South NJ
Posts: 2,793
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
New one on me. Hadn't seen that.

Road course performance? Pretty close, imho. 1/4-mile? We'll see.

Of course an LS7 and a name change would adequately insure BOTH.
If the 1LE is for the track rats does it matter if the Boss 302 beats the 1LE in the quarter? It surely will. Bet on it.

A higher HP Z28 would only matter at the drags and for about 1% of all Camaro owners who could use all of it at the track.

And if I might add does it really matter?

If the 1LE holds up to its advance billing it will be the best "affordable" performance Camaro ever. It looks like right now just to buy the 1LE wheels and tires you could spend $3K. Time will tell.

I would be happy to have a Boss 302 or a 1LE in my garage. The 1LE however is a much better deal.
__________________

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #1163
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 990
Quote:
I would argue that the 1LE is a lot more than "very little added of any significance". The 1LE comes with an amazing amount of upgrades for only $3,500. There is not another car in the market in any segment in recent history that i know of that is such a good deal.
I think you're taking it too far. The mustang GT with the track pack (less than $2,500) comes with a lot of upgrades as well for less money and the track pack mustang costs 3-5K less.

I am waiting to see if the 1LE can beat the boss. If it can, then the 3-5K premium over the mustang gt with a track pack will be worth the price.

If it can't, then it will still be a great car and Chevy has addressed a lot of things I wasn't fond of on the camaro. The camaro will finally get a track pack to compete with the track pack on the non-boss mustangs.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #1164
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
I think you're taking it too far. The mustang GT with the track pack (less than $2,500) comes with a lot of upgrades as well for less money and the track pack mustang costs 3-5K less.

I am waiting to see if the 1LE can beat the boss. If it can, then the 3-5K premium over the mustang gt with a track pack will be worth the price.

If it can't, then it will still be a great car and Chevy has addressed a lot of things I wasn't fond of on the camaro. The camaro will finally get a track pack to compete with the track pack on the non-boss mustangs.
Seems to have been proven over and over now, handily. I've read a few places that it's faster than the Laguna Seca as well.
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #1165
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
Seems to have been proven over and over now, handily. I've read a few places that it's faster than the Laguna Seca as well.
Where have you seen that? I haven't seen any solid numbers from magazine head to heads. Link?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #1166
camaro1le
 
Drives: garage is empty
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Asheville NC.
Posts: 14
1LE info

I,m new to the forum and noticed a couple members have 1le cars on order. I too have a 2ss 1LE [black] with the dual mode exhaust option on order. TPW of 10-22-12. I have gotten a different answer from everyone I ask when it comes to production numbers... Has anyone on the forum talked with anyone that KNOWS? I appreciate any input on the matter.
camaro1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #1167
MS3DALE

 
MS3DALE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Carmichaels,Pa.
Posts: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1le View Post
I,m new to the forum and noticed a couple members have 1le cars on order. I too have a 2ss 1LE [black] with the dual mode exhaust option on order. TPW of 10-22-12. I have gotten a different answer from everyone I ask when it comes to production numbers... Has anyone on the forum talked with anyone that KNOWS? I appreciate any input on the matter.
GM hasn't set any production numbers as far as them saying "we are only building X amount of 1LE's",actual production numbers will not be known until the end of the 2013 model-year run.
__________________

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'07 SILVERADO Z71 1500 Ext.Cab Z71 6.0 "VortecMAX"-GMPP CAI-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #1168
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,363
Production numbers will be determined by the number of hard orders placed.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #1169
scubadoo7
Airborne Recondo
 
scubadoo7's Avatar
 
Drives: Crystal Red 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairfax Station Va.
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I would argue that the 1LE is a lot more than "very little added of any significance". The 1LE comes with an amazing amount of upgrades for only $3,500. There is not another car in the market in any segment in recent history that i know of that is such a good deal.

I too would rather have the gen 6 but i dont have the patience to wait. I will take this 1LE until the real Z28 returns after 2015 brings the gen 6.
AMEN...the 1LE is a real track car,and a great value.
scubadoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #1170
tazz3
 
Drives: 2012 camaro
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: east islip ny
Posts: 229
What is the price of this car..its awesome
tazz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #1171
scubadoo7
Airborne Recondo
 
scubadoo7's Avatar
 
Drives: Crystal Red 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairfax Station Va.
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post
What is the price of this car..its awesome
I would say it depends on the dealership, but my price, for the 2SS crt and dual mode exhaust is $41,755.00 out the door (meaning all taxes, destination fee, and added options) Good luck!
scubadoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #1172
Mgizzle
 
Mgizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 590
My price out the door was a bit less than $39,000. 1ss 1le with nav and npp exhaust... Thats with tax, destination changes, registration transfer etc. and ooooops, indoor car cover.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #1173
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 990
Looks like the 1LE is going to deliver:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...le_first_test/
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #1174
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,363
The 1LE is a great option. The ZL1 is a great car. Then along LS7 Z/28 we have been waiting for.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #1175
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The 1LE is a great option. The ZL1 is a great car. Then along LS7 Z/28 we have been waiting for.
I would love to see a LS7 in a 5th generation camaro. I am just not sure they will do it and if they do I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
1le, 1le camaro, 1le forum, camaro 1le, camaro 1le forum, camaro performance package, camaro track pack, camaro track package, where's our z/28?

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FE3 to ZL1 Zway Bar UpgradeZ and ZL1 ZuZpenZion PackageZ JusticePete Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 111 05-08-2013 10:38 PM
Modern Camaro Performance Parts - www.PartsTaxi.com PartsTaxi.com Sponsor Announcements / Giveaways / Contests 0 10-06-2010 04:26 PM
4th Annual GM Performance Parts LSX Shootout!! nmcajeff Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 3 07-30-2010 12:05 PM
4th Annual GM Performance Parts LSX Shootout!! nmcajeff Off-topic Discussions 0 07-28-2010 08:28 AM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 07:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.