Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #51
jimmy5
 
jimmy5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Big Spring, TX
Posts: 479
I noticed a large amount of dust off these as well. However, since I love washing and detailing my cars, it just gives me an excuse to wash and zaino it more.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #52
Sweet Zness
Because I Can
 
Sweet Zness's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sanford
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
I noticed a large amount of dust off these as well. However, since I love washing and detailing my cars, it just gives me an excuse to wash and zaino it more.
You Zaino your car on a regular basis?
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #53
jimmy5
 
jimmy5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Big Spring, TX
Posts: 479
Of course! The more you use it the better it looks. Each time I wash it, new coats of zaino go on, with the zfx additive it doesnt take that long to dry, that and the fact I live in texas.
Best of all, it doesn't static cling dust on it which is what I hated about all the other waxes I've ever used.
I used to only use meguiars, but after zaino, i'll never go back.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #54
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan
 
Happy_Dan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Litchfield, NH
Posts: 1,618
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zness View Post
LoL at not understanding that in real world applications the ZL1's "advanced brembo braking system"; with six piston rears and 4 piston fronts, as compared to the G8's very basic setup and a heavier car still wont stop you on the street any better in an emergency braking situation.

Also you claim I used a magazine, as some sort of backhanded diss to discredit me as if I was some bench mag racer. Look at my avatar and you'd note that I own a SS and a G8. Of which the G8 stops better.

You stated better than any other car in the world, I gave you proof otherwise.

I didn't even get into other cars that would no doubt do it better, even in track conditions.

I think maybe it was you that started with the wise cracks with the Kool Aid drinking. You could carry your same argument about everything on the ZL1 as well as the G8 and the SS for that matter. You don't need any of it on the street. If you are talking about basic transportation than we don't need 200, 300 or 580 HP.

The ZL1 was engineered and designed as a track car. You have to be consistent and repeatable lap after lap. I'll meet you at Watkins Glen with your G8 and we'll see if the Brembo's make a difference.

That is the point you are missing I think.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #55
stavros
 
Drives: 2012 zl1
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: grosse pointe mi
Posts: 24
i did a track day monday if felt no fade and early on i was on there fairly hard, my wife took a video with her phone on last session, as you will see i was being easy on the brakes at end of day , if start taking this to track regularly they need drilled rotors and high end pads, these rotors where at least 1200 degrees
stavros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #56
Sweet Zness
Because I Can
 
Sweet Zness's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sanford
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
Of course! The more you use it the better it looks. Each time I wash it, new coats of zaino go on, with the zfx additive it doesnt take that long to dry, that and the fact I live in texas.
Best of all, it doesn't static cling dust on it which is what I hated about all the other waxes I've ever used.
I used to only use meguiars, but after zaino, i'll never go back.
I love the fact that Zaino is anti static also, but I never used it more than once every two months tops. Its just so durable, and it does carry a tad more cost than traditional waxing. Are you stripping the old Zaino off each time also?
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #57
Sweet Zness
Because I Can
 
Sweet Zness's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sanford
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
I think maybe it was you that started with the wise cracks with the Kool Aid drinking. You could carry your same argument about everything on the ZL1 as well as the G8 and the SS for that matter. You don't need any of it on the street.
Are you claiming that no one needs to be able to stop their 4000 lb car from a 60mph roll a quick as possible? Facts are facts, the G8 stops a heavier car with lesser equipment and lousier pads than the ZL1 in a real world every day driving situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_dan
If you are talking about basic transportation than we don't need 200, 300 or 580 HP.
Well we could apply this to just about any product ever poduced. We could also apply this to any amount of power in any car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan
The ZL1 was engineered and designed as a track car. You have to be consistent and repeatable lap after lap. I'll meet you at Watkins Glen with your G8 and we'll see if the Brembo's make a difference.

That is the point you are missing I think.
If by engineered you mean to run a few laps then maybe. True track cars are not really engineered with SC's. If you haven't taken notice heat soak has been a problem with Z's on the track.

As for watkins glen. Ill leave that up to the professionals. My driving experiences don't revolve around watkins glen. It does revolve around having to be able to stop in a given situation in an emergency. Which as pointed out the G8 does it better, for roughly half the price of a Z.

It was stated that the ZL will stop its heavy weight better than any other car. If you like I could post brembo's own list of top breaking cars and the Z isn't anywhere on its list.
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #58
jimmy5
 
jimmy5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Big Spring, TX
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zness View Post
I love the fact that Zaino is anti static also, but I never used it more than once every two months tops. Its just so durable, and it does carry a tad more cost than traditional waxing. Are you stripping the old Zaino off each time also?
Nope! Just use some Z5 and Z2 and build up layers as I go, I don't feel comforable just washing and drying until I have a lot of layers built up.
That's just me and one of my quirks however.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #59
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan
 
Happy_Dan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Litchfield, NH
Posts: 1,618
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Clearly the G8 is the better car for your road experience. Glad that works for you.

I wasn't talking about the SC for Watkins Glen as much as the braking. As Stavros reports, he went lap after lap without brake fade. I don't think the G8 will do that.

My plan is to get ceramics for the street when I wear these out. Then I will get pads specifically for the track, but if you wanted to take THIS car, stock, right from the dealer to the track, there will not be significant brake fade. That is my point. That means several tenths or even second at the track. More important than HP.

But you can keep your street comparison since you think this is just a plain out street car and to be compared against what you drive.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #60
stavros
 
Drives: 2012 zl1
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: grosse pointe mi
Posts: 24
i think the stock brakes perform well,you can always improve,the weight as we all no is huge in any spirited driving,i stopped mid session and switched cars with a friend, he has a very light zo6, the braking and cornerspeed was at least 5mph faster and the brakes werent the issue it was all weight
stavros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #61
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan
 
Happy_Dan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Litchfield, NH
Posts: 1,618
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stavros View Post
i think the stock brakes perform well,you can always improve,the weight as we all no is huge in any spirited driving,i stopped mid session and switched cars with a friend, he has a very light zo6, the braking and cornerspeed was at least 5mph faster and the brakes werent the issue it was all weight
Now that I agree with totally. My C5 Z06's were very easy to drive and very neutral. I was not nearly as tired after sessions that I was in the Camaro. It was a chore to muscle the weight and balance of a 4th Gen Camaro. I am hoping the ZL1 is a little easier.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #62
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyv View Post
The the ZL1 has the worst brake dust of any car I've ever owned!
I am sorry to hear of the dissatisfaction you are having concerning the brakes. Have you checked with a dealership to see if this is normal?

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #63
tpower
aka NO POWER
 
tpower's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM #241
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Team Canada
Posts: 2,582
I will take the brake dust because the brakes work so damn good, I have been on 3 different raod course , 2 autoX and multiple drag strips and the brakes are awesome
__________________
2012 ZL1 #241
tpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #64
JWR046
 
JWR046's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1786
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 201
The brake dust is from the design of the car's braking system and is pretty excessive however it is what it is. I have 137 miles on my car and have not had to wash it yet but did clean the wheels twice. The good thing is you can get a small sponge to clean the inside of the wheels between the rotor and wheel.

Last edited by JWR046; 08-13-2012 at 09:54 AM.
JWR046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #65
Russell James


 
Russell James's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,359
For performance brakes, the more dust the better. Watch them take a Nascar stock car wheel off at a short track.

You can look to the racing stuff for all the tips. Huge dust, no drilled rotors, best fluid and lines available, as much cooling as possible.

If your tracking the ZL1, I'd swap in some better fluid and lines. Then stock up on some spare stock pads and rotors. Inspect often. Get black wheels, and a dark body color.

IBM with black wheels would have been my pick until some no talent color killin degenerate killed off IBM. I'd probably now go with AG with black wheels as a second choice.

Get a light color with polished wheels... the dust will drive you nuts.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #66
Tabloma
 
Tabloma's Avatar
 
Drives: Red ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 55
I just got some new pads from Porterfield today, supposed to be low dust. I'll let you know. Hope to change them out tomorrow
__________________
2013 ZL1 Red all factory options
2004 Z06 Commemorative edition
2009 Siverado 2500HD
2010 Cadillac CTS (wifes driver)
2013 Cadillac CTS Coup e(driver)
Tabloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #67
Stephen12ZL1

 
Stephen12ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 1,901
I just swapped my pads to EBC yellow and they feel great. They should be good for the track and street. Dust seems less.
__________________
#917 A6. 10.67@126.2 1.53 60' ATI/Lingenfelter balancer (10" ring), stock upper pulley, 90mm TB, ID850s,Rotofab/Lingenfelter intercooler reservoir, Cooler Logic HX, Lingenfelter idler relocation bracket, NGK TR7ix, 160 t-stat, Dewitts Radiator, Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers(no cats). M&H drag radials 325/45-17 & M&H 28x4.5" bias skinnies. Tuning by Frost at Performance Autosport in Richmond, VA (804) 358-2505
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #68
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan
 
Happy_Dan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Litchfield, NH
Posts: 1,618
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Just as an update. I changed to Hawk Ceramics for the street and they create a lot otess dust. Still haven't been to the track. SHAME on me!
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #69
tmandoug1
Deep Sea
 
tmandoug1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Fl.
Posts: 969
I put my stock pads on the shelf and put on Hawks, no issues but have not tracked them. I did do the procedure for the brake pads recommended by the manufacturer for both sets, no issues there as well.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #70
Tabloma
 
Tabloma's Avatar
 
Drives: Red ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 55
I drove the ZL1 last night with the Porterfield pads. The front ones did need some modification to fit, but no big deal. I have vertually No brake dust. Those using Hawk ceramics, These are good pads as well, had them on my Z06 and Grand Sport. I would be careful tracking them. Since these pads swap so easily, I would reinstall the OE pads which are Ferrado pads for track use.
__________________
2013 ZL1 Red all factory options
2004 Z06 Commemorative edition
2009 Siverado 2500HD
2010 Cadillac CTS (wifes driver)
2013 Cadillac CTS Coup e(driver)
Tabloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #71
zl1bro
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
For performance brakes, the more dust the better. Watch them take a Nascar stock car wheel off at a short track.

You can look to the racing stuff for all the tips. Huge dust, no drilled rotors, best fluid and lines available, as much cooling as possible.

If your tracking the ZL1, I'd swap in some better fluid and lines. Then stock up on some spare stock pads and rotors. Inspect often. Get black wheels, and a dark body color.

IBM with black wheels would have been my pick until some no talent color killin degenerate killed off IBM. I'd probably now go with AG with black wheels as a second choice.

Get a light color with polished wheels... the dust will drive you nuts.
Agreed. I have the black rims with SIM and I haven't really noticed the brake dust issue much more than with other high performance cars I've owned. I think the black rims hide it well..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #72
jim911
 
Drives: Boxster Spyder, GT3, 2014 Stingray
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 61
try pagit pads, they work
jim911 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.