Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,631
They're not going to put a V6 of any kind in a car with the name Z/28 on it; these guys are car enthusiasts, not corporate suits from accounting. They know what the Z/28 was and they know what it needs to be.

The Z/28 was never about horsepower; it wasn't a drag racer. It was a Can-Am challenger to take on the Boss 302 on the great road courses of the day. The 1LE option on an SS gives you a clue of the direction they're going to go in with the next Z/28. They're learning on the models they've already released. The ZL1 is a suspension wonder-car; it shows what can be done with handling using that magnetic suspension technology, but it's too heavy to be a Z/28 which is probably why they didn't give it that name. The 1LE shows how they're looking at the drivetrain; not just the suspension. They're learning; studying; developing; experimenting. You can see it with these special releases. Look at what the COPO Camaro can do right out of the box.

The car they actually feel is worth being called a Z/28 is going to be a game changer. Can't wait to see what they come up with.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!
 
Obzen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,418
So IF a Z28 comes out. Will everyone sweep the 4th Gen Z28 under the rug? I hear all this talk about what a Z28 was always meant to be and how legendary the name tag is. but wasn't the 4th Gen just the "run of the mill" V8 Camaro? For that matter wasn't it the same way for the 3rd gen?
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #17
J-ROD-210
 
J-ROD-210's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Antonio,Texas
Posts: 674
I just don't know why people are so hung up with the Z28 name. GM not making Z's period. There was a time when they were Z-ing everything. Cavalier Z,Beretta Z ,Lumina Z and Silverado Z. Big freaking deal! I forgot all the numbers.Z-24,Z-26,Z-34 and Z-71 and yes Z-28....so what?
__________________
J-ROD-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #18
1BADLS3

 
1BADLS3's Avatar
 
Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
They're not going to put a V6 of any kind in a car with the name Z/28 on it; these guys are car enthusiasts, not corporate suits from accounting. They know what the Z/28 was and they know what it needs to be.
GM is capable of a lot of things. The Impala SS was once a front-wheel drive, supercharged V6, not too long ago.

I don't mean for that to discredit your point. Companies sometimes do what's right for the consumer, sometimes they do what's right for their books, sometimes they do what's right for their profits. It's hard to tell the direction the Camaro is going to take...hopefully it continues in a good one along the same lines it's been going.

But the 'need' for a mid-level Camaro is very slim. There's 323hp, 400-426hp, and then 500+ with the ZL1 and 'insane' with the COPO cars. They've basically covered the market from entry level at $23k all the way to $40k for optioned SS, and beyond to $55k+ with the ZL1. I don't know where a Z28 would fit in the lineup or how much market share they could reasonably expect to gain with Z28 sales, especially just having come out with the 1LE.

And it may be that 'Z28' never returns. 'Z24' disappeared with the Cavalier and it was always regarded as the junior Z, lots of performance in a small car. But, GM dropped that moniker entirely and went with the SS designation for the Cobalt, and then the RS designation for the Cruze.

Point is...I see really slim chances of there being a 5th gen Z28.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #19
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem
 
slick rick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 5,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
Point is...I see really slim chances of there being a 5th gen Z28.
With the weight of the Zeta platform, I think most Z28 hopefuls are waiting for it to come out on the Alpha (6th gen)
__________________
slick rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #20
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ROD-210 View Post
I just don't know why people are so hung up with the Z28 name. GM not making Z's period. There was a time when they were Z-ing everything. Cavalier Z,Beretta Z ,Lumina Z and Silverado Z. Big freaking deal! I forgot all the numbers.Z-24,Z-26,Z-34 and Z-71 and yes Z-28....so what?
It was attached to the legendary racing team of Roger Penske and Mark Donohue. It was a high-profile winner. Chevy specifically built it to compete in the Can-Am; it wasn't a regular street car that somebody took and started racing with it. They built the street legal versions so they could claim it was a production model and thus be qualified to run in the Can-Am.

It was a very special model for a very special purpose; one that brought Chevy racing prestige and glory; it put the bow tie in the winner's circle in a very tough and competitive series. When you saw a Camaro on the street with Z/28 on the side it had instant respect... so much so in fact that adding a "Z" to a name became fashionable to try and grab some of that glory and respect.

If you aren't old enough to remember or know, then you probably wouldn't understand. Just take it from those of us who are old enough; it's a big deal.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #21
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
GM is capable of a lot of things. The Impala SS was once a front-wheel drive, supercharged V6, not too long ago.

I don't mean for that to discredit your point. Companies sometimes do what's right for the consumer, sometimes they do what's right for their books, sometimes they do what's right for their profits. It's hard to tell the direction the Camaro is going to take...hopefully it continues in a good one along the same lines it's been going.

But the 'need' for a mid-level Camaro is very slim. There's 323hp, 400-426hp, and then 500+ with the ZL1 and 'insane' with the COPO cars. They've basically covered the market from entry level at $23k all the way to $40k for optioned SS, and beyond to $55k+ with the ZL1. I don't know where a Z28 would fit in the lineup or how much market share they could reasonably expect to gain with Z28 sales, especially just having come out with the 1LE.

And it may be that 'Z28' never returns. 'Z24' disappeared with the Cavalier and it was always regarded as the junior Z, lots of performance in a small car. But, GM dropped that moniker entirely and went with the SS designation for the Cobalt, and then the RS designation for the Cruze.

Point is...I see really slim chances of there being a 5th gen Z28.
I agree there probably isn't much chance of a 5th gen Z and I'm glad to be honest; the 5th gen is just too heavy a car. I can however easily see the Z/28 being the "show car" to grab the spotlight as the star of the new 6th gen Camaro.

There isn't going to be a Transformer's movie to showcase and promote the 6th gen the way it did the 5th gen so they need more than just "the next generation Camaro" for marketing. If I was in charge I'd be in talks with Ford and Dodge to resurrect the old Can-Am series and use that as a collective showcase for the "new" muscle cars of American manufacturers. Nascar has completely lost touch with it's grass roots and I think it would be great to have a new racing series with street cars like the ones you can buy and drive.

If it was a joint marketing/sponsoring effort between the big 3 muscle car companies I think it would be very popular and boost the sales of those cars a lot.

I'm just dreaming about a new Can-Am series lol but I wouldn't at all be surprised if the 6th gen Camaro is debuted with a new Z/28.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #22
J-ROD-210
 
J-ROD-210's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Antonio,Texas
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
It was attached to the legendary racing team of Roger Penske and Mark Donohue. It was a high-profile winner. Chevy specifically built it to compete in the Can-Am; it wasn't a regular street car that somebody took and started racing with it. They built the street legal versions so they could claim it was a production model and thus be qualified to run in the Can-Am.

It was a very special model for a very special purpose; one that brought Chevy racing prestige and glory; it put the bow tie in the winner's circle in a very tough and competitive series. When you saw a Camaro on the street with Z/28 on the side it had instant respect... so much so in fact that adding a "Z" to a name became fashionable to try and grab some of that glory and respect.

If you aren't old enough to remember or know, then you probably wouldn't understand. Just take it from those of us who are old enough; it's a big deal.
Yup.Your right ,never heard of the Can-Am. I meant for the 5th gen though,I don't see it happening like everyone else says,no room with SS,ZL1 and 1LE,but what if ,like I posted before 427N/A,LS7.Expensive but I think people would buy.Anyway didn't mean any disrespect to everyone who is planning to race in the Can-Am when they do make a Z/28
__________________
J-ROD-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #23
STuRTzz
 
Drives: '12 Summit White 2ls W/Black Stripe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 671
what will be more expensive: z28 or 1le?
STuRTzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by STuRTzz View Post
what will be more expensive: z28 or 1le?
Z/28. The 1LE package is something you can order with an SS; the Z/28 is going to be a separate, and special model. Price-wise I'm guessing somewhere between a 1LE and a ZL1.

A 6th gen Z/28 will probably out-perform the 5th gen ZL1 on the track which would be a great marketing point for the 6th gen series. They'll have to up the ante on the ZL1 though if they want to keep it at the top which they probably will just for horsepower bragging rights.

The Z/28 should (hopefully) be n/a so it won't have as much power as the ZL1 but be lighter and have fantastic handling and brakes for the track. Gonna be interesting to see what they do for the bodywork too as the Z/28 should have functional brake cooling. It would be great if you could get it with 5-point safety belts and safety bar as an option from the factory. Oh and include removable factory tow hooks.

I can't wait to see what they come up with.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
sprtplt
 
sprtplt's Avatar
 
Drives: Corvette
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 300
Actually, the 1LE probably should have been called Z-28. Z-28 was a handling package as much as anything. That there is still no Z-28 moniker defies all logic, so, makes perfect sense for GM today.
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #26
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,571
Personally I think with the model lineup they have now, they're good until the 6th gen comes out. If they continue the SS, 1LE, and ZL1 in the 6th gen, I don't see how they could get the Z28 in there... And that's OK with me. Yes the Z28 is a legendary name, yes it has a bunch of heritage, yes only one Camaro can be a Z28 and any car can be an SS, but we have a great lineup regardless of their names.

PS - Unlike a lot of members on this site, I do know the Camaro existed prior to 2010, so I know the Z28 heritage.
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #27
MrandMrsNinja

 
MrandMrsNinja's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' SGM 2SS/13' GT/08' F-150 4x4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: League City, Tx
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipinminn View Post
z28 should be the V6 with twinturbo's,425hp and 28mpg I'd buy one for sure

All the Juice and no seed's! Yehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
__________________
MrandMrsNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #28
C5RocksC5
Banned
 
C5RocksC5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sin City
Posts: 697
shave 300 pounds from the SS and give it ZL1 suspension = Z28 for roadracing.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.