Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 08-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #26
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
I find it hard to believe that the stock intake(2nd place) was better than the CIA intake (3rd place)...lol..I'll keep mine and leave the stock intake in storage.Tests were done in temps ranging from 46 degrees to 73 degrees.

The CIA intake made 17 more horsepower that the stocker and that was without the scoop.

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #27
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I put my stock air box back on a few days ago and then last evening put the Wedge on to see if the difference was more or less than felt with the Vararam OTR intake. After driving around last night and making the 30 mile trip into work this morning, it is hard to say. The Vararam seemed to benefit more, but honestly it is hard to tell. Normally the trips home in the afternoon give me a better indicator but it's supposed to be extremely hot today. While the vararam deals with excessive ambient temps the stock box doesn't.

Fueling - Wedge versus no wedge with the stock box. The LTFTs were identical everywhere. If there is additional airflow it would have to be measured at WOT with a wideband. As discussed elsewhere it seems as if any gains are from a change in airflow distribution.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #28
Higgs Boson
in the ZL1 Market

Drives: Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
I put my stock air box back on a few days ago and then last evening put the Wedge on to see if the difference was more or less than felt with the Vararam OTR intake. After driving around last night and making the 30 mile trip into work this morning, it is hard to say. The Vararam seemed to benefit more, but honestly it is hard to tell. Normally the trips home in the afternoon give me a better indicator but it's supposed to be extremely hot today. While the vararam deals with excessive ambient temps the stock box doesn't.

Fueling - Wedge versus no wedge with the stock box. The LTFTs were identical everywhere. If there is additional airflow it would have to be measured at WOT with a wideband. As discussed elsewhere it seems as if any gains are from a change in airflow distribution.
I measured this with a wideband. No change.

I agree that any changes are cylinder distribution related.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #29
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
I measured this with a wideband. No change.

I agree that any changes are cylinder distribution related.
Rabamaro's dyno sheets from Lethal Racing showed that as well.

She is only memory now.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
Higgs Boson
in the ZL1 Market

Quote:
Rabamaro's dyno sheets from Lethal Racing showed that as well.
oh yeah, i just looked at the hp column and was like, wtf???
Old 08-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #31
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
Higgs I wasn't mad just being polarizing.

Again drove in heavy traffic, a little wot action merging onto the highway. I still think it helps torque down low, even as low as 1500. L99'ers, when you go to pass folks and give your car light gas, does it downshift? Mine is downshifting less. That's telling me that in the low to mid-range, I have more power.

I'll shoot for an extra mph, but I plan to raise my shift points too.
12.37@112 1.85 | Headers, Cats | 555R DR | CAI | UDP | Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | +NT05R 18s | + Circle D 3200
11.84@113 1.59 | + 3.91s | +Race Star 17x7s
Mods: GPI Tune | Bo's PTB | Kooks LTs | Hooker Maxflows | Circle D 3200 | New Era OTR | RCR AirRam Manifold | Powerbond UDP | 3.91s
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #32
Higgs Boson
in the ZL1 Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Higgs I wasn't mad just being polarizing.
fair enough
Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #33
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm still skeptical on this. Who doesn't love some extra TQ down low, but this just seems too good to be true. Then again, I haven't really read any bad reviews. I would just like to see some irrefutable data.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #34
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I'm still skeptical on this. Who doesn't love some extra TQ down low, but this just seems too good to be true. Then again, I haven't really read any bad reviews. I would just like to see some irrefutable data.

Good Freakin Grief. It is a no risk item. Try it for yourself and give us your irrefutable data.

Just a heads up. You are going to look at this thing and think no way can this do anything at all, postive or negative. Other than the tilt, it almost completely disappears behind the TB. I almost want to flip it upside down to see if it kills some tq, since I have more than I need already.

She is only memory now.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #35
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
That guy Rhino something milled his TB to adjust the angle, like y'all are saying, maybe it's helping the distribution.

Mine:

12.37@112 1.85 | Headers, Cats | 555R DR | CAI | UDP | Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | +NT05R 18s | + Circle D 3200
11.84@113 1.59 | + 3.91s | +Race Star 17x7s
Mods: GPI Tune | Bo's PTB | Kooks LTs | Hooker Maxflows | Circle D 3200 | New Era OTR | RCR AirRam Manifold | Powerbond UDP | 3.91s
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #36
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I hope this thread doesn't turn like the other one, but just in case:

Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #37
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
I hope this thread doesn't turn like the other one, but just in case:

ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #38
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Oh don't encourage him

She is only memory now.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #39
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Hey, I'm not the one causing a ruckus...

Old 08-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #40
NickSS

Drives: 2010 2SS
Everybody keeps talking about this, but nobody has been able to show an actual increase in anything other than their butt Dyno.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #41
Fraxum

Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSS View Post
Everybody keeps talking about this, but nobody has been able to show an actual increase in anything other than their butt Dyno.
My butt Dyno was numb to the wedge as I posted earlier.

But I went to the track tonight and finally got into the 12s. The funny part though is every time I have ever been to the track (three times so far) I have had the wedge. Maybe it has helped me, a real track newbie who stages with his back wheels at times, run respectable even though I still cannot drive.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #42
NickSS

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

But I went to the track tonight and finally got into the 12s. The funny part though is every time I have ever been to the track (three times so far) I have had the wedge. Maybe it has helped me, a real track newbie who stages with his back wheels at times, run respectable even though I still cannot drive.
With your mods you shouldn't have a problem breaking into the 12's without the wedge
Old 08-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #43
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

Congrats Was the DA any better this time?

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #44
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Quote:
My average hp and tq increased 12 and 13.5 respectively, most of which can be attributed to the substantial gains below 5500rpm.
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, Night Fury cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune, 498 whp/470 tq
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #45
V8Addict

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS Camaro
I've had my Wedge on for a week now and still think its helping to make the car a bit faster. Yesterday, I took it off to see if the slight whistling/ringing noise I hear at light acceleration was due to an air leak. Everything looked fine and reinstalled it being extra carefull with the gasket. Car still has the noise and runs without any problems. Wondering if anyone else hears this noise.....a few others have posted that they have it also.
V8Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #46
Higgs Boson
in the ZL1 Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Addict View Post
I've had my Wedge on for a week now and still think its helping to make the car a bit faster. Yesterday, I took it off to see if the slight whistling/ringing noise I hear at light acceleration was due to an air leak. Everything looked fine and reinstalled it being extra carefull with the gasket. Car still has the noise and runs without any problems. Wondering if anyone else hears this noise.....a few others have posted that they have it also.
Yes, I do. I have tried all kinds of different torque values. I am starting to think the factory angle of the TB was to eliminate that noise!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #47
Dertyboi
SS1

Drives: 2012 Durango
I've had mine installed for 2 days now and the low end feels stronger. Has anybody retuned there car for the wedge. I read through a couple of treads and the airflow dosent change just the distribution so is a retune needed
Old 08-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #48
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dertyboi View Post
I've had mine installed for 2 days now and the low end feels stronger. Has anybody retuned there car for the wedge. I read through a couple of treads and the airflow dosent change just the distribution so is a retune needed
On a Vararam OTR intake re-tuning would be a good idea. The MAF sensor is so close to the throttle body that it needs to be rescaled. The other style intakes have the sensor so far away that it doesn't need tuning.

Quote:
Lethal Racing was nice enough to do dynos with and without the Wedge for Rabamaro. The info was posted.

Quote:
I almost want to flip it upside down to see if it kills some tq, since I have more than I need already.
Now that I've thought about this seriously, shouldn't installing this upside down take away some HP and TQ? I'm pretty sure I'm going to give it a go this morning.

She is only memory now.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 08-25-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #49
Higgs Boson
in the ZL1 Market

Quote:
Now that I've thought about this seriously, shouldn't installing this upside down take away some HP and TQ? I'm pretty sure I'm going to give it a go this morning.
Cool, looking forward to that. I'm going out to wash my car before it gets too hot! They are building on the lot next to us and it is filthy!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #50
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Cool, looking forward to that. I'm going out to wash my car before it gets too hot! They are building on the lot next to us and it is filthy!
Not sure what is wrong with me, but I hate to wash my car. I rather be wrenching than washing, but sometimes there is no choice. Black car and daily driver was a bad choice for me.

On my way out to the garage to flip the wedge.

She is only memory now.