Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
redZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv.
should valves be open at idle?

I just picked up my 2013 ZL1 last week, convertible, manual.

Are the valves supposed to be open at idle? Mine are open at idle, and I can't really claim to hear a strinking difference in sound volume with rpm. I also pulled the fuse, and with no obvious difference.

I am wondering if my valves are not functioning properly, which may not be a bad thing.
redZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil's BlackZL1 View Post
Anyone else notice noises coming from the actuators on the exhaust?

I have had it in 4 times for the same thing and they replaced the exhaust from the cads all the way back, and it still makes the same noise.

You can hear a mechanical sound when you lightly give it gas and let off. Kind of a buzzing sound like the flaps are opening and closing.
Have you considered the option of going to a dealership for a proper diagnosis? They should be able to pinpoint the issue you are experiencing. Please let us know if you would like to set up an appointment with your local dealership's service department!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #17
Verbolten

Drives: someday a convertible
Google (Dual mode exhaust, NPP) you will find info in the Convette forum..
Verbolten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Quote:
Anyone else notice noises coming from the actuators on the exhaust?

I have had it in 4 times for the same thing and they replaced the exhaust from the cads all the way back, and it still makes the same noise.

You can hear a mechanical sound when you lightly give it gas and let off. Kind of a buzzing sound like the flaps are opening and closing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Have you considered the option of going to a dealership for a proper diagnosis? They should be able to pinpoint the issue you are experiencing. Please let us know if you would like to set up an appointment with your local dealership's service department!

Brandon

Chevrolet Customer Service
Sounds like he has..
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee-Ell-One View Post
Pull the fuse...Its behind the trunk wall carpet on the right inside the trunk. Theres one black button retainer to pull so you can peel back and expose the fuse box...You will be glad you did especially during breakin. Its really not that much louder between 1000 and 3000rpm's when cruising....sounds way way better.. Before I pulled it I found myself trying to rev past 3000 but not past 4000 just to hear it roar... now I don't have to. I'm convinced it has better pick up now too at the normally closeed RPM range..Win win.. My car is having other issues with leaking coolant and a metal on metal noise eminating from the rear end on decelleration that I will post about later...
I'm sorry you're having issues because I remember you being excited about getting your car.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #20
Neil's BlackZL1

Drives: Black 2012 Camaro ZL1 #740
Just talked to Dealership and was informed that Chevrolet engineering department is working on the issue, BUT it may be something I will just have to live with..."I DON'T THINK SO"!!! I will up-date as it develops.

All in All I LOVE THE CAR!!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
Al C.

For what it's worth, I took my car to the dealer today because the service director called me and said GM had a fix for the valve issue.. They had to reprogram the "fuel pump flow control module"... "software anomaly in fuel pump control module".. It seemed to fix the problem..
Attached Images

Last edited by Al C.; 08-27-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
Neil's BlackZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
For what it's worth, I took my car to the dealer today because the service director called me and said GM had a fix for the valve issue.. They had to reprogram the "fuel pump flow control module"... "software anomaly in fuel pump control module".. It seemed to fix the problem..

Thank you!! I will pass it on to my dealer!!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #23
Neil's BlackZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
Passed the info on to my dealer, GM has sent a bullitan out regarding the issue and reprogramming the fuel pump seams to fix the noise (I HOPE). I had mine done about 2 weeks ago, but I have been out of town off and on since i had it done so I haven't really had time to test it out. I plan on putting on some miles this weekend so we will see.

Thank again for all the help!!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #24
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I have the same noise, it even happens with the mild to wild switch. For that reason I don't think it would be the flaps. But who knows.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
BeachBum

Drives: 2012 (ZL-1) #468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotta View Post

listen close, you can here the flaps open and close, hope thats ok, cant here any buzzing, neil can you here it from video, let us know what happens
How Many Miles On Your Car? That Is A Sweet Sound !!!

Mine Does Not Sound That Good. Hopefully, After Break-In It Will Have That Sweet Of Sound
Old 10-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #26
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....not sure what the OP means by buzzing when the dual mode valve opens, but...I ask....the motor is turning pretty good up to that point is it not???....and... when the valve opens the chamber all double H E hockey sticks lets loose...sooo, how can one even hear anything else over the raucous symphony of Chevrolet LSA and exhaust at that point I ponder..... I kinow I can't.....I think it opens at about 3,200 RPM or so...and when it does...Sweet Jesus have mercy..... Adendum..part throttle operation should have no effect on the exhaust system/dual mode, and, since the the system has been replaced from the cats back...that's not the issue if the customer still hears something. The OP should get in the car, with the tech driving, and point out the issue if it is repeatable while the car is in operation in my opinion.

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 10-03-2012 at 10:10 PM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #27
Al C.

Quote:
Passed the info on to my dealer, GM has sent a bullitan out regarding the issue and reprogramming the fuel pump seams to fix the noise (I HOPE). I had mine done about 2 weeks ago, but I have been out of town off and on since i had it done so I haven't really had time to test it out. I plan on putting on some miles this weekend so we will see.

Thank again for all the help!!
No problem. I've driven 800 miles since reprogramming issue, I haven't heard that noise since. Enjoy that beast!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #28
Joco28

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1 #1772
I have a vid of my zl1 where you can really hear these flaps going... so is this normal or not?
Joco28 is offline   Reply With Quote