Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #76
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
C'est sa, monsieur!

Call it what you will, but it WAS being "tested"...and apparently NOT for heat soak...

Something I just noticed 'bout that picture: GM mule, but BLACK bowtie...
Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #77
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
That's the ZL1 that was being tested in your avatar. In addition to the black bowtie, it had a pacecar logo on it... completely unrelated. As was said earlier in the thread, those that know won't be talking. Those that know, SHOULDN'T be talking. While our appetite for "insider news" is voracious, it hurts GM when people leak information. In our CEO's town hall meeting a week ago, Mr Akerson went on a long rant about people leaking vehicle development information out to the press and how much it hurts the company. I'll admit, I do enjoy the spy photos and news just as much as anyone else, but it does come at a price.... GM loses the competitive edge.

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #78
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
I'm aware of the car being tested with the ZL1s @ the 'Ring. The picture was posted here last summer. But no one could explain the open forward-facing hood scoop which would have no direct impact on the LSA as packaged, as far as cooling air for intake purposes (Ram Air, for lack of a better term, not really beneficial with forced induction) OR air-cooled aftercharge assist...which led to speculation that perhaps a naturally aspirated engine was, in fact, being utilized by this example...and, if so, what might such a "study" predate?

All conjecture...but us ZEE-lievers are NOTHING if not hopeful.

So...what WAS the purpose of the open, forward-facing hood scoop? Or, as an LSA-engined ZL1 mule, did it presage the heat soak issue?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #79
shaffe

Drives: 2012 Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneCynic View Post
Hey, it's enough to make me stall my plans for a 1LE purchase by a few months to see what develops. It will give me a few months breathing space after paying off my LS, to go without a car payment for a while, save money, and see what may happen. No sense paying off one Camaro, only to go directly into a note on a second one just yet. I can stall a bit, as a second Camaro is a want, and not a need at this point in time.

I would much rather wait a bit and see what is going to happen. Can you imagine this scenario? "Ford announces new Mustang redesign for 2014" followed by "A Chevrolet icon returns in 2014, the long awaited Z28." Well, I'd almost not even care about the "New Mustang" news at that point, would you?

Ford already blew its current generation load, to put it bluntly, with the 2013 Boss 302 and 2013 Shelby GT500 model series finales. Starting a new line of Mustangs, they will want to hold back a bit to trickle out the best upgrades and models until a year or two down the line. But the 5th gen will be in its final year or two, and Chevy is bound to pull out all the stops with it to combat the introduction of the new Mustang.

Here's hoping the 5th gen will go out with a bang, with announcements of models that will steal the show. AKA the Z28 (and maybe some last model year tweaks to ZL1 too.)
Im sure it would excite the GM faithful and Camaro fans,

but IMO The introduction of a completly new mustang, on a new chassis with IRS finally and the car being updated to the 21st century ditching the retro theme will over shadow a new camaro variant in the eyes of the general automotive community. Also not to mention it will be on/around Mustangs 50th birthday too.

Just like when the 6th gen camaro comes out, it will over shadow any special mustang that may appear at the same time (except in the eyes of the Ford faithful/mustang fans)
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #80
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
I'm aware of the car being tested with the ZL1s @ the 'Ring. The picture was posted here last summer. But no one could explain the open forward-facing hood scoop which would have no direct impact on the LSA as packaged, as far as cooling air for intake purposes (Ram Air, for lack of a better term, not really beneficial with forced induction) OR air-cooled aftercharge assist...which led to speculation that perhaps a naturally aspirated engine was, in fact, being utilized by this example...and, if so, what might such a "study" predate?

All conjecture...but us ZEE-lievers are NOTHING if not hopeful.

So...what WAS the purpose of the open, forward-facing hood scoop? Or, as an LSA-engined ZL1 mule, did it presage the heat soak issue?
My 100% guess would be that they were just testing something out. It looks like the opening was cut using a dremel, not very precisely cut, so I would venture to say it's being read into more than it should.

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #81
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I'm sure if there is an upcoming Z/28, we will see some spy shots of it being tested.
...I'll make sure I read your posts to get critical review and insight.....
Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #82
Bhobbs

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...I'll make sure I read your posts to get critical review and insight.....
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #83
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Ford already blew its current generation load, to put it bluntly, with the 2013 Boss 302 and 2013 Shelby GT500 model series finales. Starting a new line of Mustangs, they will want to hold back a bit to trickle out the best upgrades and models until a year or two down the line. But the 5th gen will be in its final year or two, and Chevy is bound to pull out all the stops with it to combat the introduction of the new Mustang.
Not yet. Ford is known for making a special edition mustang the last year of production for a generation. With the 50th anniversary of the mustang happening during that time I am thinking Ford is not done blowing its current generation load.

Quote:
I doubt they will release info on a Z/28 before announcing it.
Probably not, but engines are expensive and time consuming to produce. If a Z28 is released and it happens to get a new engine, then I see it either getting the LS7 or perhaps the new Gen V V8. It's possible it will also get a brand new engine that is unknown at this point, but highly unlikely with the resources they have put into the Gen V V8.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #84
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Probably not, but engines are expensive and time consuming to produce. If a Z28 is released and it happens to get a new engine, then I see it either getting the LS7 or perhaps the new Gen V V8. It's possible it will also get a brand new engine that is unknown at this point, but highly unlikely with the resources they have put into the Gen V V8.
I believe that if there is a 5th Gen Z/28, it would have the LS7. If there is no 5th Gen, and it comes back in the 6th, it would have one of the new Gen V engines.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #85
cbass

Quote:
I believe that if there is a 5th Gen Z/28, it would have the LS7. If there is no 5th Gen, and it comes back in the 6th, it would have one of the new Gen V engines.
It can go either way. It depends on if its any easier to put a LS7 vs a Gen V in there. It also depends on if GM wants to save the Gen V for the 6th generation or not. If there is a Z/28, then I would see it getting one of those engines. I think you are probably right that it's more likely to get the LS7. That seems to be consistent with how GM works. Ford, on the other hand, has been putting in brand new engines in existing generation cars like the F150 and mustang.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #86
Bhobbs

Quote:
It can go either way. It depends on if its any easier to put a LS7 vs a Gen V in there. It also depends on if GM wants to save the Gen V for the 6th generation or not. If there is a Z/28, then I would see it getting one of those engines. I think you are probably right that it's more likely to get the LS7. That seems to be consistent with how GM works. Ford, on the other hand, has been putting in brand new engines in existing generation cars like the F150 and mustang.
I think an LS7 gen 5 Z/28 would be a great send off for the gen IV engine.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #87
OldScoolCamaro

^And that's been the premise of the Z/28 forum for quite a long, looong time now....
Old 08-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #88
cbass

Quote:
I think an LS7 gen 5 Z/28 would be a great send off for the gen IV engine.
That would make me sad I jumped the gun and got a 1LE, but a LS7 Z28 based on what a 1LE costs would probably put me out of its price range. I bet a LS7 Z28 would start somewhere around $45K
Old 08-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #89
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
I think you have a good guess. But we've all been excited to see the 1LE come in with a high value pricepoint. Yeah, GM is offering great value again!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #90
cbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I think you have a good guess. But we've all been excited to see the 1LE come in with a high value pricepoint. Yeah, GM is offering great value again!
Current generation camaro + LS7 engine would be my ideal car. We will see if it happens.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #91
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Current generation camaro + LS7 engine would be my ideal car. We will see if it happens.
Mine as well.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #92
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
I'm still wondering why/when 50 grand or more for a Camaro became ok? You still have to take into account taxes, tag, etc..maybe even GG if the LS7 is in it
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #93
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
I'm still wondering why/when 50 grand or more for a Camaro became ok? You still have to take into account taxes, tag, etc..maybe even GG if the LS7 is in it
It became OK when people were taking a loaded SS at $40k & then spending 10 to 20 grand in mods

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #94
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
One need only look at prices for other vehicles, Chevy Tahoes which replaced the K5 Blazer run pretty much $39,000 to $56,000 depending on how you equip them. The same is true for most all vehicles, prices are much higher than they were ten years ago.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #95
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

4,000 airbags add more than just weight.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #96
cbass

Quote:
I can't wait to see how much the 6th gen is going to cost. The 5th generation after 3 years of price increases has risen in price. The 1SS just for 2014 is $800 more expensive.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #97
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I can't wait to see how much the 6th gen is going to cost. The 5th generation after 3 years of price increases has risen in price. The 1SS just for 2014 is $800 more expensive.
Thats inflation for you ...

$31k x 2.5% = $775

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #98
OldScoolCamaro

...unfortunately premium performance comes at a premium price. Just look at the foreign competitors price ranges that we dance with.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #99
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Maybe if a base-version Z/28 were available with all of the mechanical goodness in place but with the high-technology features all left optional and the driver interferences . . . err "assists" . . . simplified to the choice of minimum requirement vs off, the performance premium might not have to be quite so high. Even if this was by order only (COPO?)

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #100
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Maybe if a base-version Z/28 were available with all of the mechanical goodness in place but with the high-technology features all left optional and the driver interferences . . . err "assists" . . . simplified to the choice of minimum requirement vs off, the performance premium might not have to be quite so high. Even if this was by order only (COPO?)

Norm
I honestly believe the biggest factor in the price is whether or not GM is going to gouge us on the price because it is a Z/28. Are they going to price the car based on it's performance or bump it up because of the name?