Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
2SSONLY
 
2SSONLY's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST!
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Last Frontier
Posts: 480
Best Way To Dry The Car

Thanks to Camaro5 members who were recommending Zaino, I surfed their website.

They have the coolest suggestion for drying the car after washing. A Toro 210 HP Leaf Blower! Dries the car in 5 minutes without having to touch a towel or chamois to the paint.

Priced one tonight. Only $50. That's the way I'm going. Less odds of swirl marks IMO. I'll blow the drying area free of dust before I get started on the car.

Wholly cow, I'm actually gonna buy a hair dryer for the Camaro!
__________________
#5336, 6M, Racing Bone Stock; lookn' to spoil.
can't cut a light...can't run the number...can't even quit.
2SSONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
hb-rocks
 
hb-rocks's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: HB CA
Posts: 679
I've heard that "theory" many moons ago when I was hangin out with the Zaino Crowd back in '02
Personally, a leaf blower just ain't right!

I've grown accustomed to really liking the "absorber" for drying and of course 100% cotton towels.
I'm not saying my way is the "best" way.....it's just how I get thing's done.
hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
karr1008
Supercharging
 
karr1008's Avatar
 
Drives: 20XX Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: N. Alabama
Posts: 238
Just be careful when using "leaf blowers" on your brand new car paint.
I did it once on my previous car and ended up sand blasting thus scratching the surface with tiny particles that picked up from the garage. The best method would be the traditional chamois without rubbing too hard. I am sure others will chime in better ways to safely dry a car.
__________________
_____________________________________
In Camaro Standby mode
karr1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
hb-rocks
 
hb-rocks's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: HB CA
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by karr1008 View Post
Just be careful when using "leaf blowers" on your brand new car paint.
I did it once on my previous car and ended up sand blasting thus scratching the surface with tiny particles that picked up from the garage. The best method would be the traditional chamois without rubbing too hard. I am sure others will chime in better ways to safely dry a car.
EXACTLY....!
too many factors where things could go terribly wrong with some leaf blower, the cord dragging around, some 40 mph leaf-blower wind blowing crap everywhere....
not to mention all the strange looks the neighbors are giving you!

Most that can go wrong when you wipe down a car with an absorber or towel/chamois is you happen to drop the dam thing......oops....time to grab another one and keep going!
hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
MRK III Z28
SoCal C5 Family Member
 
MRK III Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Mustang
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Ana, California
Posts: 199
Send a message via AIM to MRK III Z28
I would recommend some 100% cotton towels or a microfiber drying towel such as the Cobra Guzzler HD.

http://autogeek.net/cobra-guzzler-hd-towel.html
Attached Images
 
MRK III Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:00 AM   #6
2SSJIM

 
2SSJIM's Avatar
 
Drives: CRT ZL1 #1400
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: AZ.
Posts: 894
Sham-Wow Towels!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #7
Nexus6
More human than human
 
Nexus6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The mouth of hell
Posts: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb-rocks View Post
I've heard that "theory" many moons ago when I was hangin out with the Zaino Crowd back in '02
Personally, a leaf blower just ain't right!

I've grown accustomed to really liking the "absorber" for drying and of course 100% cotton towels.
I'm not saying my way is the "best" way.....it's just how I get thing's done.
Absorber FTW
__________________

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
CamaroHutch
 
CamaroHutch's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Indiana (Louisville Area)
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
Sham-Wow Towels!
SHAM-WOW Towels while wearing a SNUGGIE!!
__________________
Ordered Jan 09

2SS RS RJT

Delivery?? 5/27/09 #10630

AFTERMARKET:
Hurst STS
Borla ATAK Catback
CamaroHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
Shifty 6
 
Drives: 2010 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Morton, IL
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
Sham-Wow Towels!
I heard those things are made in Germany. You know the Germans always make good stuff.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
Gib
 
Gib's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, RJT 04 Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 314
Blow Dry

I have been useing the Toro blow dry method for years...Works great! I then use a compressed air gun and small cotton hand towel to work around the emblems and in the crevices. Just be extra careful when blowing off the roof, hood and trunk. It is easy hit the car when holding the blower up high and/or over your head. A small step stool comes in handy also.
__________________
GIBS SS
Gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper
 
tjbusa's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lexington,SC
Posts: 3,170
I've used my craftsman 200mph gas blower for years. I know of no better way to get the hidden droplets out and then a small detail cloth to get the micro droplets. Thanks for posting, it works....
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
GOLDDOG
 
GOLDDOG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS & 08 JSB Corvette
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 275
This is the only way to go http://www.nakidparts.com/4th.html

Watch the video!!
GOLDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #13
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 4,015
I've NEVER used a leaf blower.

When I'm finishing washing, I;

1. Remove the nozzle and let the water pour from the hose to rinse - water "cascades" away, leaving less drying.

2. Get car in garage asap.

Use (1) 'Fieldcrest' "CHARISMA', white, 100% cotton towel, opened up, and gently pull across to remove excess water.

Use (1) (same as above) to remove any remaining wter.

Use a good quality bath towel to dry door jambs, trunk/hatch area, and under hood, followed by drying under rear/front bumpers, and finally below door jambs.

3. Use 'Rigid' shop vac to remove water from inside of mirrors, around side marker lights, and from between any body gaps, being very careful NOT to allow hose to touch paint surface.

4. Clean windows, apply tire dressing, etc., ending with a shot of Zaino Z-6.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #14
2SSONLY
 
2SSONLY's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST!
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Last Frontier
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I've NEVER used a leaf blower.

When I'm finishing washing, I;

1. Remove the nozzle and let the water pour from the hose to rinse - water "cascades" away, leaving less drying.

2. Get car in garage asap.

Use (1) 'Fieldcrest' "CHARISMA', white, 100% cotton towel, opened up, and gently pull across to remove excess water.

Use (1) (same as above) to remove any remaining wter.

Use a good quality bath towel to dry door jambs, trunk/hatch area, and under hood, followed by drying under rear/front bumpers, and finally below door jambs.

3. Use 'Rigid' shop vac to remove water from inside of mirrors, around side marker lights, and from between any body gaps, being very careful NOT to allow hose to touch paint surface.

4. Clean windows, apply tire dressing, etc., ending with a shot of Zaino Z-6.
As a firm believer in a back up system I bought the towels as recommended on the Zaino site. I also bought the toro leaf blower. Didn't use the leaf blower today, used the towels. All I can say about the towels is you need a lot of them. I bought two good sized bath towels and in the end, still needed to use the chamois. They were excellent for the detail though.

Looking foward to trying the leaf blower. I got a two speed so can control how much is blowing around. Hosing down the driveway prior to the wash will help control what debris could blow around. I do like the idea of being able to blow the excess water from around the lights, mirrors, grill, etc.

Glad to hear that some have used the method and agree with it. I expect I'll need to use a combination. Our water is VERY hard and spotting is really tough to prevent.

Did a search on the web for Zaino. Found an interesting link to someone who did a side by side comparison between Zaino and Meguiers.
__________________
#5336, 6M, Racing Bone Stock; lookn' to spoil.
can't cut a light...can't run the number...can't even quit.
2SSONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #15
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSONLY View Post
...Our water is VERY hard and spotting is really tough to prevent.
You should look into getting one of the Mr. Clean AutoDry systems. http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/home.do

Our water is extremely hard also (tons of iron coming straight out of the well). I've been using the Mr. Clean AutoDry just for the water filtering ability. It works really well for me in removing the mineral deposits from the water before it hits my trucks. Replacement filters are about $7-$8 each and mine last for about 5 washes instead of the 10 uses it says on the package but it's still cheaper than going to a local car wash.
__________________

#1: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red M6 - July 2009-Oct 2011 (SOLD). #2: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy Green A6 - Oct 2011.....
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #16
xxalexmxx8926
That Drummer Boy
 
Drives: 1998 V6 Chevy Camaro 3800
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC (Home: Winter Garden, Fl)
Posts: 64
Send a message via AIM to xxalexmxx8926
__________________
xxalexmxx8926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #17
Lovestanda
Large Member
 
Lovestanda's Avatar
 
Drives: Yugo SS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 429
Been leaf blowing cars and motorcycles for at least 20 years---no damage. All my rides look near new!!!
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
beowulf80
 
beowulf80's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS / RS MT, IBM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkville IL
Posts: 180
On a friend's recommendation I tried using a new, clean, soft squeegie (sp?). Worked like a charm, got most of the moisture off. The rest I was able to get with a single 100% cotton bath towel. So much of the water is already off that that the single towel is barely damp. For crevices I blow them off with compressed air then wipe them down. Just started using Zaino, so I'm wiping down with Z-6 after. Looks great!
beowulf80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #19
2SSONLY
 
2SSONLY's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST!
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Last Frontier
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
You should look into getting one of the Mr. Clean AutoDry systems. http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/home.do

Our water is extremely hard also (tons of iron coming straight out of the well). I've been using the Mr. Clean AutoDry just for the water filtering ability. It works really well for me in removing the mineral deposits from the water before it hits my trucks. Replacement filters are about $7-$8 each and mine last for about 5 washes instead of the 10 uses it says on the package but it's still cheaper than going to a local car wash.
Thanks, saw something on another thread about filters. Will check into them. Another thread on washing black camaros. I don't have a good place to wash out of the sun so as summer heats up, may have to hog a wash bay at a car wash and can then use their spot free rinse.
__________________
#5336, 6M, Racing Bone Stock; lookn' to spoil.
can't cut a light...can't run the number...can't even quit.
2SSONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #20
smitty912
 
smitty912's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 G6 GT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Posts: 42
California Water Blade ftw
smitty912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #21
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,510
the problem for me when using a towel, is that sometimes it's so hot outside, that the sun dries the back side of the car, before I'm done with the front. or vice versa. Leaving water droplettes, and making me have to wash it again.
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #22
GMtothecore
"That Guy"
 
GMtothecore's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
Posts: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
the problem for me when using a towel, is that sometimes it's so hot outside, that the sun dries the back side of the car, before I'm done with the front. or vice versa. Leaving water droplettes, and making me have to wash it again.
...that happens to me all the time.
__________________
GMtothecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #23
hb-rocks
 
hb-rocks's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: HB CA
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSONLY View Post
Thanks, saw something on another thread about filters. Will check into them. Another thread on washing black camaros. I don't have a good place to wash out of the sun so as summer heats up, may have to hog a wash bay at a car wash and can then use their spot free rinse.
doood...just go buy one of those big Costco Patio Umbrella's that's sorta "Cantileverd" and use it as shade cover when you spend a hour or 2 out washing your baby....!


hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #24
bcannan354
 
bcannan354's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Naples,Florida
Posts: 184
I like to take it for a ride to dry it off. Just drive it down the road at 70 MPH or about 5 minutes and it is completely dry. Nothing ever had to touch the car = no marks. Mom told me to work smart, not hard.
bcannan354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #25
jr_hoyt
J-Rock
 
jr_hoyt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Yellow Ford Focus
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Duncan, Oklahoma
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroHutch View Post
SHAM-WOW Towels while wearing a SNUGGIE!!
Yeah, and if the Sham-Wow scratches the finish, just use some Mighty puty to fill it in!
__________________
My current ride: 2001 Ford Focus, ZX-3, Banana Yellow
My future ride: 2010 2LT, w/ RS, Rally Yellow w/ black rally stripes; Order # NKMNP5
DESTINY?! I THINK SO!!!

jr_hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Washing/Detailing for Newbies MRK III Z28 Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 110 04-10-2014 11:12 AM
What's considered a Muscle Car? SyN General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 125 09-25-2010 12:04 AM
The Journey greenrail 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 16 05-29-2009 07:43 AM
NEW!! Voice Your MARKETING Suggestions/Input for Focus Group on 2010 Camaro. Mr. Wyndham 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 114 05-08-2008 09:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.