Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #113
2010 SS RS

 
2010 SS RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Got my straight pipes put in today and all I can say is !!

No drone, no noticeable difference at highway cruising speeds, great idle and sounds like a beast when you get on it.

Perfect!
Thank you for giving it a try and reporting the same damn thing......I love mine more every day. Had a cop pull me over today to look at car. He loved it as well. No problem or issue just a fantastic low cost mod that should be considered before spending the big bucks for a fancy name brand system. I am telling you that the GM engineering on this exhaust will blow you away!
__________________
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #114
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Got my straight pipes put in today and all I can say is !!

No drone, no noticeable difference at highway cruising speeds, great idle and sounds like a beast when you get on it.

Perfect!
Any info about using a different metal than what the factory exhaust is? Do muffler shops usually carry the same type of material (not sure what it is) as the factory exhaust? That would be my only concern. Would the different metals really cause a problem.

Did you use the factory tips or have different ones put on? Any pics you can give as well?

Just out of curiousity what did you have to pay. Not that I think $200 is high....I would pay $200 in a heartbeat over the $1,500 Corsa wants for their cat back system (which from what I've heard in the videos doesn't sound any better).

Thanks for all the feedback. This is all great stuff. I would much rather put the money difference for an Air Filter or Headers or High-Flow Cats.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #115
Davis
 
Davis's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Black 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Any info about using a different metal than what the factory exhaust is? Do muffler shops usually carry the same type of material (not sure what it is) as the factory exhaust? That would be my only concern. Would the different metals really cause a problem.

Did you use the factory tips or have different ones put on? Any pics you can give as well?

Just out of curiousity what did you have to pay. Not that I think $200 is high....I would pay $200 in a heartbeat over the $1,500 Corsa wants for their cat back system (which from what I've heard in the videos doesn't sound any better).

Thanks for all the feedback. This is all great stuff. I would much rather put the money difference for an Air Filter or Headers or High-Flow Cats.
I had the shop use 409 stainless 2.5" pipe, with stainless wire for the welds.
I used the factory tips.
I agreed to time and material with the shop. Since this was the first 2010 Camaro they had even touched, they took their time. They spent a lot of time with centering the tips. I paid $300.
It's been raining here for several days, but I'll try to get some pics up soon.
I'm very particular with these things and IMO Larry's (2010 SS RS) tips are perfect. Mine are slightly off, but it was late and we were all tired. The shop has promised to make it right if it really bugs me. But we'll see. I've asked a few people to look at it and most just say.."What did you do? It looks the same."

I can't go on enough about the sound. It sounds really really good.
The full cat-backs may pick up a few extra ponies, I dunno.
If you are doing LT's and high-flow cats it might get a bit obnoxious, but stock it's perfect.
__________________
Black, 2SS/RS, Manual, Inferno Orange Accent Trim Pkg, Sunroof, Rear Ground Effects
Tinted Windows, DT shorty headers, !mufflers, !CAGS, Barton STS, Vararam
VIN# 2G1FT1EW5A9101443
Delivered 4/17/2009
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #116
3 SS's


 
3 SS's's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevelle SS's
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: outta my mind
Posts: 2,880
Yep, this is the route for me... unfortunately the shop that did the exhaust on my 69 Chevelle SS has since closed :( , gonna have to find someone else.
__________________
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #117
Scourage
Syntax Error
 
Scourage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE Nebraska
Posts: 553
I'm scheduled with the exhaust shop to have this done on Tuesday. His shop is respectable and has been around for quite some time.
However, he does not have any stainless in that Dia. on hand and he would have to buy a 10' piece if I wanted it. He told me Aluminized Steel would do just fine for what I want and I'm wasting money using stainless.
Have a slight feeling he just would rather take the easier path especially after the comments about the bends he needs to make.
He figured it would cost me $130-140 to have it done with the steel.

I plan on checking a couple more places tomorrow.
Scourage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #118
2010 SS RS

 
2010 SS RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourage View Post
I'm scheduled with the exhaust shop to have this done on Tuesday. His shop is respectable and has been around for quite some time.
However, he does not have any stainless in that Dia. on hand and he would have to buy a 10' piece if I wanted it. He told me Aluminized Steel would do just fine for what I want and I'm wasting money using stainless.
Have a slight feeling he just would rather take the easier path especially after the comments about the bends he needs to make.
He figured it would cost me $130-140 to have it done with the steel.

I plan on checking a couple more places tomorrow.
I have the aluminized on mine. Sure when you mix metal there is the corrosion issue. But the fact of the matter is that the jerry cans removed were not stainless steel. And furthermore, my car wont see rain and other corrosives that could accelerate the issue. I feel very confident that this set of straight pipes should last for at least 10 years and more than likely more. Stainless is better without a question but you could do it twice with aluminized. Sound would be the same. And allignment might be better cause it is so much easier to bend.
__________________
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #119
lawdogg149
 
lawdogg149's Avatar
 
Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calhoun, GA
Posts: 740
Removed Mine!!! Thank you so much 2010 SS RS and Davis. Let me go on the record to say this is by far the best mod for this car. My Guy here says he will assemble with polished stainless and stainless tips for $225 plus shipping. He only does custom work. Let me say that this car sounds incredible. Love the low pop while slowing. Drove on Interstate 90 mph no problem no drone.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #120
edog


 
edog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: F'BURG VA
Posts: 3,662
How is the sound level in the car. I do not need it quiet, but I do not want it super loud either.
__________________
LS3 Conversion 113/225/238 COMP CAM, 3200 Stall, Doug Thorley Tri-Y LT/HF cat, Xpipe, Ported TB, 160 therm, Tranny cooler, Halltech CAI, Pedders sways, endlinks, 1" Eibach Drop Springs, 3.45 rear gears. Tuned by Doug @ ECS. 435HP/420TQ
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #121
Scourage
Syntax Error
 
Scourage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE Nebraska
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
I have the aluminized on mine. Sure when you mix metal there is the corrosion issue. But the fact of the matter is that the jerry cans removed were not stainless steel. And furthermore, my car wont see rain and other corrosives that could accelerate the issue. I feel very confident that this set of straight pipes should last for at least 10 years and more than likely more. Stainless is better without a question but you could do it twice with aluminized. Sound would be the same. And allignment might be better cause it is so much easier to bend.
Went to another shop yesterday, he basically told me the same thing. Aluminized would be much more cost effective, won't discolor like stainless, going to last a long time and he'll warrantee it for three years.

He took a quick look and told me it would cost about $60 and take 1/2 hour to do. I think that might be a little under estimating since he didn't really get under there and see the bends he needs to make.

He has done something similar to a few Chargers and a Challenger.

I now have an appointment with these guys tomorrow
Scourage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #122
2010 SS RS

 
2010 SS RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourage View Post
Went to another shop yesterday, he basically told me the same thing. Aluminized would be much more cost effective, won't discolor like stainless, going to last a long time and he'll warrantee it for three years.

He took a quick look and told me it would cost about $60 and take 1/2 hour to do. I think that might be a little under estimating since he didn't really get under there and see the bends he needs to make.

He has done something similar to a few Chargers and a Challenger.

I now have an appointment with these guys tomorrow
Right on. Seems like this is really starting to take off now. I have someone (another member) that is getting me some specs to modify the stock air intake. When I get it I will post a step by step video to modify and open up the air intake without spending 470.00. I cant wait as this is the obvious second part to the muffler delete.
__________________
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #123
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
Removed Mine!!! Thank you so much 2010 SS RS and Davis. Let me go on the record to say this is by far the best mod for this car. My Guy here says he will assemble with polished stainless and stainless tips for $225 plus shipping. He only does custom work. Let me say that this car sounds incredible. Love the low pop while slowing. Drove on Interstate 90 mph no problem no drone.
Can you get us some pics and contact info for you muffler shop guy?

Wouldn't it be better even if you had to spend just a little more money to have one custom bent so that they can get the muffers centered or would copy of a previous install probably get you close enough?
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #124
camaro5


 
camaro5's Avatar
 
Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 3,836
Great mod!
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #125
MerlinZero
Big Orange
 
MerlinZero's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 1,170
I REALLY like this sound.... this is what i'm kinda looking for.... Something that rivals those loud ass V8 Vantage's that run down 405 all the damn time.
__________________
" First, there was darkness, Then, On March 16th, Scott said LET THERE BE CAMARO, and there was Camaro, and Scott saw that it was good. Camaro5 3:16"

VIN: 2G1FT1EWXA9120523
ETA 7/6/09 (Delivered 7/10/09)
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #126
2010 SS RS

 
2010 SS RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,108
I really think you guys that have tried it all have come away with the exact same feeling......WOW! GM has this exhaust tuned perfect for the mod. Still trying to get the details on a CAI mod that uses the existing housing and mass flow sensors. I will post as soon as available or if you guys figure it out let me know.
__________________
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Answeres to questions I have stumbled on dieseldave24v 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 13 02-23-2009 06:56 PM
UPCOMING CAMARO IMPORTANT DATES CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 125 01-11-2009 12:31 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.