Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
MrBowTi3
 
MrBowTi3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS Victory Red Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
Posts: 130
Question First-time New Car Buyer Advice

Hey all let me start by saying I'm new here and if I ask some stuff that's already here then I apologize post a link and I will read up, but getting started I am currently finishing up my senior year in college and I'm looking into getting an 1LE as my first new car later this fall. I was wanting some help from the knowledge base here at C5.

1. I plan on getting an 2SS/RS so is stepping up to the 1LE worth doing since mine would mainly be a daily driver (I'm a 10-13k miles a yr driver)

2. I read the suspensions in the 1LE isn't the softest ride, so would changing over to Pedders be a good move (Trying to make it a pretty comfy daily driver)?

3. I know it's still new, but as far as performance mods how does it compare to a plain SS (Mainly supercharging and headers, muffler and so on)?

4. If you have any additional advice, tips, or etc. feel free to add them my main goal in this thread is to pick the brains of the community.

Thanks in advance for the help

Last edited by MrBowTi3; 09-03-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Clarification
MrBowTi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
68vert
 
68vert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 729
Have you read through this?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246800

If its TLDR...
1. Only you can answer that. But the transmission and rear gear changes from a regular SS you will notice in the butt-dyno. I have had gears for 2 yrs.
2. I really can't imagine that GM would release a car to the public that would be irritating to drive on a daily basis. Probably just slightly firmer than stock, and less body roll. Irritation factor would mainly depend on the quality of roads in your area.
3. The engine is unchanged from the SS. Exhaust items are easy to mod on any Camaro.
Bottom line, there will just as many mods as the current lineup.
4. I will go slightly out on a limb and say that the 1LE might turn out to be slightly more in demand in later years. Possibly collectible worthy. I doubt the dealers will be ordering hardly any for their showroom. They sell plenty of V-6's and SS, with a occasional ZL1 thrown in. I bet the 5th gen 1LE could sell in less numbers than the ZL1.
__________________
2010 SIM SS/RS see garage for mods
68vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Fraxum


 
Fraxum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South NJ
Posts: 2,924
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBowTi3 View Post
Hey all let me start by saying I'm new here and if I ask some stuff that's already here then I apologize post a link and I will read up, but getting started I am currently finishing up my senior year in college and I'm looking into getting an 1LE as my first new car later this fall. I was wanting some help from the knowledge base here at C5.

1. I plan on getting an 2SS/RS so is stepping up to the 1LE worth doing since mine would mainly be a daily driver (I'm a 10-13k miles a yr driver)

2. I read the suspensions in the 1LE isn't the softest ride, so would changing over to Pedders be a good move (Trying to make it a pretty comfy daily driver)?

3. I know it's still new, but as far as performance mods how does it compare to a plain SS (Mainly supercharging and headers, muffler and so on)?

4. If you have any additional advice, tips, or etc. feel free to add them my main goal in this thread is to pick the brains of the community.

Thanks in advance for the help
In my opinion if you are going to build an FI (supercharger) or forged stroker Camaro then the 1LE is a good place to start with the stronger axles and more buttoned down suspension. Also anyone who wants to have fun at Autocross or tracks with curves also will benefit big time from the 1LE upgrades.

To everyone else I think the 1LE is a waste of $$. You can make an SS handle better than stock for much less than $3,500.
__________________

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
MrBowTi3
 
MrBowTi3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS Victory Red Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post
Have you read through this?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246800

If its TLDR...
1. Only you can answer that. But the transmission and rear gear changes from a regular SS you will notice in the butt-dyno. I have had gears for 2 yrs.
2. I really can't imagine that GM would release a car to the public that would be irritating to drive on a daily basis. Probably just slightly firmer than stock, and less body roll. Irritation factor would mainly depend on the quality of roads in your area.
3. The engine is unchanged from the SS. Exhaust items are easy to mod on any Camaro.
Bottom line, there will just as many mods as the current lineup.
4. I will go slightly out on a limb and say that the 1LE might turn out to be slightly more in demand in later years. Possibly collectible worthy. I doubt the dealers will be ordering hardly any for their showroom. They sell plenty of V-6's and SS, with a occasional ZL1 thrown in. I bet the 5th gen 1LE could sell in less numbers than the ZL1.

Thanks
1. For me it is just a thing of being called a track car so much I just wasn't sure if that would mean it would better serve that purpose than a daily driver I mostly want it for the aesthetic things than anything else mainly because I will be modding it.
2. The stiffer drive is more of what I was trying to talk about not so much uncomfortable but I have a stiff ride now and it might be more stiffer than the Camaro might be since its an older car but I know the roads around my school aren't terrible but they are far from smooth, I guess its something a test drive can determine I'll have to call around Atlanta dealers.
3.Just making sure this will be the first car I'll be doing serious mods on
MrBowTi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
MrBowTi3
 
MrBowTi3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS Victory Red Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
Posts: 130
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
In my opinion if you are going to build an FI (supercharger) or forged stroker Camaro then the 1LE is a good place to start with the stronger axles and more buttoned down suspension. Also anyone who wants to have fun at Autocross or tracks with curves also will benefit big time from the 1LE upgrades.

To everyone else I think the 1LE is a waste of $$. You can make an SS handle better than stock for much less than $3,500.
I might be in the latter till the spring.
MrBowTi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Mgizzle
 
Mgizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
In my opinion if you are going to build an FI (supercharger) or forged stroker Camaro then the 1LE is a good place to start with the stronger axles and more buttoned down suspension. Also anyone who wants to have fun at Autocross or tracks with curves also will benefit big time from the 1LE upgrades.

To everyone else I think the 1LE is a waste of $$. You can make an SS handle better than stock for much less than $3,500.
How much did you pay for FORGED, black, OEM quality wheels and a set of track tires like the good years on the 1LE? I bet you a lot more than $3500.

Also, who is calibrating your ABS and stabilitrak for all the mods on the SS? Kinda nice to put your kids and wife in a car back from the track and know that your vehicle systems operate optimally.

Not to mention the cost of the bearings, transmission, fuel pick ups, dampers, STAB bars, body work, alcantra components, red calipers, etc..... ALL WITH A WARRANTY!!!

$3500 is a joke and and you will blow a lot more than that, with your car half way torn up and no warranty on it.

However, if you want daily driving and a "cool looking" car, I think the normal SS option would be a lot better if you like some other wheels more than the 1LE's. YOu can not get the interior color combos like you can on a SS.

Bottom line, if you don't go to track or will so only a bit, get the SS and spend the $3500 on power mods or looks if that is what you care bout more.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
MrBowTi3
 
MrBowTi3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS Victory Red Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
How much did you pay for FORGED, black, OEM quality wheels and a set of track tires like the good years on the 1LE? I bet you a lot more than $3500.

Also, who is calibrating your ABS and stabilitrak for all the mods on the SS? Kinda nice to put your kids and wife in a car back from the track and know that your vehicle systems operate optimally.

Not to mention the cost of the bearings, transmission, fuel pick ups, dampers, STAB bars, body work, alcantra components, red calipers, etc..... ALL WITH A WARRANTY!!!

$3500 is a joke and and you will blow a lot more than that, with your car half way torn up and no warranty on it.

However, if you want daily driving and a "cool looking" car, I think the normal SS option would be a lot better if you like some other wheels more than the 1LE's. YOu can not get the interior color combos like you can on a SS.

Bottom line, if you don't go to track or will so only a bit, get the SS and spend the $3500 on power mods or looks if that is what you care bout more.

I'm in love with the wheels and I read that buying them alone cost more than the 1le package which may be a terrible reason but a major one along with all that you stated that I was considering it my main concern was if it would be able handle being a daily driver for a couple years till I can get me something to fill that role once I finish up with school.

I want a car that can actually perform just as well as it can look "cool", and I'm fine with an all black interior seeing how I'll probably end up making interior changes in the future.
MrBowTi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
solo40oz
 
solo40oz's Avatar
 
Drives: My wife crazy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 707
When I bought my '10 SS, I had never been to a road track (had done auto-x, but not the road racing) - so I wasn't really factoring in track days. Soon after I bought it, I started doing track days, and now there are things that I wish I could change (like deleting the stupid ass sunroof, so that my helmet doesn't rub on the headliner). If this is a daily driver only, then I wouldn't recommend investing the extra $3500 in the 1LE package....but here is the chicken and egg - if you do decide to take it to the track after you buy it, track days can be very addictive, and you might end up wanting the better tuned suspension, better tires, etc...

My advice, see if you can go rent a car at a track day and see if it is something you might want to do more often - and base your 1LE decision on that.

I've been weighing options between going with aftermarket wheel/tire/Pedders setup vs taking a hit on my 2SS trade and going 1SS/1LE....and I think I'm coming to the conclusion that it would be better for me to find an old miata to take to the track (to become a better driver, and not worry so much about beating up on it)
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
I've been weighing options between going with aftermarket wheel/tire/Pedders setup vs taking a hit on my 2SS trade and going 1SS/1LE....and I think I'm coming to the conclusion that it would be better for me to find an old miata to take to the track (to become a better driver, and not worry so much about beating up on it)
Not a bad idea if you track a lot. I'm seriously looking at selling my 2010 SS for the 1LE. I will miss the adjustable coilovers but to be honest I never adjusted them that often. I do the occaisional autoX and would like to do a couple of HPDEs and it will be my daily driver. I was planning on upgrading to the new lower control arms and swaybars and really want those black wheels. By upgrading to the 1LE I get all of those things for $3,500 plus all the other goodies. It is almost too good to pass up. After sitting in a ZL1 yesterday to get a feel for the new interior I'm even closer to doing it. I just need to decide on the exterior color, leaning toward white.
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Fraxum


 
Fraxum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South NJ
Posts: 2,924
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
How much did you pay for FORGED, black, OEM quality wheels and a set of track tires like the good years on the 1LE? I bet you a lot more than $3500.

Also, who is calibrating your ABS and stabilitrak for all the mods on the SS? Kinda nice to put your kids and wife in a car back from the track and know that your vehicle systems operate optimally.

Not to mention the cost of the bearings, transmission, fuel pick ups, dampers, STAB bars, body work, alcantra components, red calipers, etc..... ALL WITH A WARRANTY!!!

$3500 is a joke and and you will blow a lot more than that, with your car half way torn up and no warranty on it.

However, if you want daily driving and a "cool looking" car, I think the normal SS option would be a lot better if you like some other wheels more than the 1LE's. YOu can not get the interior color combos like you can on a SS.

Bottom line, if you don't go to track or will so only a bit, get the SS and spend the $3500 on power mods or looks if that is what you care bout more.
I think you misunderstood me. I am not saying the 1LE is not a good deal. But unless you are big power modding or interested in tracking you might be better off with mild suspension mods if all you are interested in is a little better cornering. And to some the harshness of the monotube shocks may detract enough from the ride that they may regret the purchase.
__________________

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.