Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
Iceyone
 
Iceyone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jax
Posts: 45
Strut Question

OK, I installed new strut covers on my camaro, and when I put on the new nuts the center torx head screw turned a few times, now I have a loud clunk going over bumps, anyone know how to fix this, or how to tell when the torx screw is in the right place? I screwed it in to far I think?? HELP!!! please!
Iceyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
jeremywes
 
jeremywes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 506
send a pic
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
S-eatin-grin

 
S-eatin-grin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WV
Posts: 1,043
I would be very interested in seeing what you find out...I have the same issue of loud mellatic clunks when going over bumps...especially in turns. please show pics of what you did
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceyone View Post
OK, I installed new strut covers on my camaro, and when I put on the new nuts the center torx head screw turned a few times, now I have a loud clunk going over bumps, anyone know how to fix this, or how to tell when the torx screw is in the right place? I screwed it in to far I think?? HELP!!! please!
What strut covers did you install?
Post pictures.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Iceyone
 
Iceyone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jax
Posts: 45
Iceyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
Iceyone
 
Iceyone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jax
Posts: 45
That is a picture of the Torx screw that I need to know how to adjust? how do you know how far to turn it in or out??
Iceyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceyone View Post
That is a picture of the Torx screw that I need to know how to adjust? how do you know how far to turn it in or out??
The torq screw in the strut shaft is there so you can hold the shaft still and tighten the nut. If the question is how tight to make the nut, then the answer is the steel in the mount sits on the steel edge of the strut shaft. When the nut stop moving, give it another 1/4 to half turn. That is all you'll be able to get.

Where is the rest of the mount?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Iceyone
 
Iceyone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jax
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The torq screw in the strut shaft is there so you can hold the shaft still and tighten the nut. If the question is how tight to make the nut, then the answer is the steel in the mount sits on the steel edge of the strut shaft. When the nut stop moving, give it another 1/4 to half turn. That is all you'll be able to get.

Where is the rest of the mount?
It's back on there now, I just took the pic so everyone would see what I was talking about, so screwing the torq screw in or out, has no affect on anything?
Iceyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceyone View Post
It's back on there now, I just took the pic so everyone would see what I was talking about, so screwing the torq screw in or out, has no affect on anything?
This is a stock strut, correct?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
Iceyone
 
Iceyone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jax
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
This is a stock strut, correct?
Yes, it is stock
Iceyone is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.