Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #35
MBS


 
MBS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 2,461
Then if it is close performance wise ,Then the winner is the Camaro tiebreaker goes to looks and the Mustang does not even come close , The Camaro is way cooler/sexier/headturner/and complament getter. They cant beat the looks no matter what they put in between the legs.
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #36
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I think what's generally considered a "drivers car" is something with precise steering that gives great feedback; balanced neutral handling with precise turn-in on corners where the car just goes where you point it without understeer or oversteer, yet either of those conditions can be induced with throttle control; great seat-of-the-pants feel as to what the car is doing while cornering; quick crisp throttle response and control; great brakes that give you exactly what you want in direct proportion to how hard you push the pedal; great easy-to-read instrumentation that gives you exactly the information you need with just a quick glance; a smooth, short-throw, solid-position-in-each-gear shifter for the transmission; superb gearing and ratios between the trans and diff so that you aren't over-geared or under-geared; just the right amount of exhaust note, volume and sound feedback from the mechanicals and tires (not too quiet); great seats that comfortably hold you in place but aren't too soft so you can still feel what the car's doing.

Those are just some of the things that come to mind. As you can see, not an easy list to check off for a car builder but if the Camaro team does the Z/28 right, it will be that champion drivers car driving enthusiasts have dreamed of.
Great description!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #37
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_camaro_SS View Post
very subjective article no real concrete support on each vehicles performance. I could care less on what vehicle felt better, its all about performance numbers. At least the ZL1 driver will be comfortable when they are beat by m3's & GT500's.
"could care less...what vehicle felt better"

That is a very very strange comment.

"it's all about performance numbers"

I guess your into dyno-queens.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #38
doc7000
 
Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lomita,CA
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Great description!
The Sion FRS/Subaru BRZ are both considered to be great driving cars with good driving dynamics and everything being in proportion (performance wise).
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #39
FresnoStateDogs
 
FresnoStateDogs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 272


Skip to the second car.
__________________


Spiral Ported TB, K&N Typhoon, JBA Performance Cat-back, RX catch can and Oil Breather.
FresnoStateDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #40
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoStateDogs View Post


Skip to the second car.
Wow! Thought MF loved the GT500...apparently NOT!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #41
flyjbaker
 
Drives: none yet
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: League City,TX
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I think what's generally considered a "drivers car" is something with precise steering that gives great feedback; balanced neutral handling with precise turn-in on corners where the car just goes where you point it without understeer or oversteer, yet either of those conditions can be induced with throttle control; great seat-of-the-pants feel as to what the car is doing while cornering; quick crisp throttle response and control; great brakes that give you exactly what you want in direct proportion to how hard you push the pedal; great easy-to-read instrumentation that gives you exactly the information you need with just a quick glance; a smooth, short-throw, solid-position-in-each-gear shifter for the transmission; superb gearing and ratios between the trans and diff so that you aren't over-geared or under-geared; just the right amount of exhaust note, volume and sound feedback from the mechanicals and tires (not too quiet); great seats that comfortably hold you in place but aren't too soft so you can still feel what the car's doing.
Which is why Porsches cost so damn much!!!!
flyjbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #42
DanSS24

 
DanSS24's Avatar
 
Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 808
Posts: 1,197
I like the term "brutally fast cars", especially when it comes to American muscle cars. Good reading.
__________________

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #43
motorhead


 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Drives: Stormtrooper
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bartertown
Posts: 9,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoStateDogs View Post


Skip to the second car.
This makes me want a GT500 even more. That's what makes me like cars. Being scared is part of the excitement.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #44
doc7000
 
Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lomita,CA
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
This makes me want a GT500 even more. That's what makes me like cars. Being scared is part of the excitement.
With the Venom GT sure, its scary fast.

With the GT500, its too much engine for the chassis and he states (and so has others) that it doesn't have enough brakes. That isn't scary fast, because you are trying to slow down and can't..... thats just a poorly engineered car.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #45
rez333

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post

With the GT500, its too much engine for the chassis and he states (and so has others) that it doesn't have enough brakes. That isn't scary fast, because you are trying to slow down and can't..... thats just a poorly engineered car.
Many people race GT500s and they swap to race pads and dot4 brake fluid which solves the problem. Does anyone seriously races on a track without race pads anyway?
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #46
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 27,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
90% of the guys who buy these two cars are parking lot chest thumpers so the GT500 wins that hands down.

jmo
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #47
motorhead


 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Drives: Stormtrooper
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bartertown
Posts: 9,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
With the Venom GT sure, its scary fast.

With the GT500, its too much engine for the chassis and he states (and so has others) that it doesn't have enough brakes. That isn't scary fast, because you are trying to slow down and can't..... thats just a poorly engineered car.
There have been many conflicting reports about the brakes on the GT500. It sound like it's a pretty simple fix. Besides I don't know where in the streets that you would ever push that car hard enough to where out the brakes without ending up in jail. I think for whatever reason that guy is full of crap. there are many people that have these cars and do run them at tracks with very little problems. Maybe that skinhead just doesn't know how to drive. That three wheeled car and the first gen Viper are the only two cars on that list that I completely agree with.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #48
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
Many people race GT500s and they swap to race pads and dot4 brake fluid which solves the problem. Does anyone seriously races on a track without race pads anyway?

I'm sure there are, I would bet there are people on this site that do just that on the weekend with OEM pads.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #49
zl1bro
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 453
Had a 2010 GT500 and drove it for 2 years. Loved the car but at high speeds when turning or changing lanes the car had a lot of vertical motion. I like excitement as much as the next guy and am always up for a challenge but it was frustrating to have to back off because of this. Lost several races as a result. The car just didn't feel planted above 80 mph with any imperfection on the road surface. Night and day different feeling from the ZL1..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #50
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 3,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Besides I don't know where in the streets that you would ever push that car hard enough to where out the brakes without ending up in jail. I think for whatever reason that guy is full of crap. there are many people that have these cars and do run them at tracks with very little problems. Maybe that skinhead just doesn't know how to drive. That three wheeled car and the first gen Viper are the only two cars on that list that I completely agree with.
I'm inclined to agree with most of that and that the video was all about finding fodder to crack jokes over (like the lame dig at the Viper's side curtains that he's too young to understand). The most consistent theme through the video was too much power - whether that was too much power relative to the chassis or the tires or too much outright being secondary. To me, that says "too much power for skinhead to consistently stay within HIS limits with".

I'd go a little further and suggest that he's been brainwashed into believing that letting the nannies have ultimate override authority over the driver would be a good thing.

If he's so afraid that 600-ish HP in a Shelby Cobra was too much for him to drive it that 11th time or that 662 is too many for the GT500's live axle on a bumpy corner, he shouldn't even be thinking of cracking the whip on all of them. It really is that simple.



Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #51
A-little-perspective
 
Drives: 2011 C63
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoStateDogs View Post


Skip to the second car.
I stopped watching when he said, "Cars that are more dangerous than heart disease."

Heart disease kills almost 1 in 4 Americans per year. That is ~616,000 people per year.
A-little-perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.