Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Why the difference in price for lighting mods?

I am looking into installing footwell and cup holder lights into my LT, but I have noticed that some of the lighting kits are very expensive like $300+ and then some are pretty cheap like $50 or lower. Why is this? What is the difference between the cheap kits and the most expensive ones?
Old 09-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Compunerd

Drives: 2011 1LT SIM
Brand, mostly. GM lighting kits are expensive, and in my opinion, low quality, especially for the ridiculous amount they charge. The footwell kit from AAC is good, though you'll need some zip ties to hold the LED strips in place, as the 3M adhesive backing likes to come off. There are a bunch of DIY makeshift cup holder lighting threads that offer pretty cheap, quality options. I went with the one that utilizes a billet cup holder plate and a couple pre-wired lights from oznium.com. I'd post the thread link, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

AAC has some quality stuff, and from what I hear, so does Showstoppers.

The basic rule of thumb I follow is you get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap, and ludicrously expensive is cheap. Reasonably priced products seem to be the best quality.
Compunerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
GM is really expensive like 300 as far as quality goes I am not sure. I have bought some AAC products and I wouldn't say they are amazing quality. If the company had an actuall quality control inspector they might not have so many defective products. I bought LED firewall lighting for under the hood. This product will flicker on an off and sometimes wont stay on.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valve Train, Cam Motion custom grind, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, LS2 Dampner, Trunion upgrade, LS9 head gaskets, RX CC, GFX, Subs.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
I bought my leds off eBay. I think they were $6 a strip. And I just bought extras just in case. Had car 2 years and they still working. But aac I heard there's wwork real good too
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Gator6977

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
I too bought LED strips from eBay and have had them going strong for about a year. I did my cup holder lighting the exact same as hakai20. Bought the cup holder trim from eBay and pre-wired LEDs from oznium.com. When it comes to lighting, you are only limited by your imagination and ingenuity.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
JRYAN34
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
If you do a little research and get all the correct information and products it can look high quality and for around 10 bucks.
JRYAN34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
GM is really expensive like 300 as far as quality goes I am not sure. I have bought some AAC products and I wouldn't say they are amazing quality. If the company had an actuall quality control inspector they might not have so many defective products. I bought LED firewall lighting for under the hood. This product will flicker on an off and sometimes wont stay on.
It's probably a loose connection or a bad ground to be honest.

Tags
camaro, cup holder lighting, footwell lighting, lighting, lighting modifications