Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #26
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
[/I][/B][/COLOR]


True!

But what else would anyone call it?
MINE!
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #27
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,463
What would be your thought if it was a warmed over LS3 producing about 500HP? Just as excited? Granted it would be a track star, able to run for extended times. Any thoughts on how it would do in 1/4 vs ZL1 if it had 505 HP and stick only say 3.90 gearing?
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #28
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
MINE!
I thought you had enough toys??? Time to share buddy.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #29
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
What would be your thought if it was a warmed over LS3 producing about 500HP? Just as excited? Granted it would be a track star, able to run for extended times. Any thoughts on how it would do in 1/4 vs ZL1 if it had 505 HP and stick only say 3.90 gearing?
Why would GM build a new 6.2 V8 that puts out 500 HP when they already have a V8 putting out 505 HP? It's not gonna happen.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #30
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,858
Bump, ....yawn... GM isn't going to recertify a LS3 and make it stouter, although they could but that's not what they do. NOW, the LS7 at 505 is a reality, it's in it's curtain call, I.E. swan song upcoming with the advent of the new DI motor. Question is... why not use it for a finale Z28? That, or we wait and buy some crate motors after the next phase enters. I don't think they <next gen DI engines> will plug and play as easily as LS gen motors in our current models going forward.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #31
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Bump, ....yawn... GM isn't going to recertify a LS3 and make it stouter, although they could but that's not what they do. NOW, the LS7 at 505 is a reality, it's in it's curtain call, I.E. swan song upcoming with the advent of the new DI motor. Question is... why not use it for a finale Z28? That, or we wait and buy some crate motors after the next phase enters. I don't think they <next gen DI engines> will plug and play as easily as LS gen motors in our current models going forward.
Crate motors don't communicate well with OE modules by design. It makes it harder to put the crate motor in an current EPA compliant car. You can work around it, but it takes some effort.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #32
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,858
True Pete, but, an LS current design LS family motor LS7, would be easier to plug into a C5 setup over the next gen DI motor I would think, would it not? EPA compliancy is something the customer would need to give or take upon, my point was the ease between the two comparitively speaking. Hard to tell maybe since we don't have the DI yet, but there are already manufacturers making conversion deals for the LS7 I surmise.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #33
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
True Pete, but, an LS current design LS family motor LS7, would be easier to plug into a C5 setup over the next gen DI motor I would think, would it not? EPA compliancy is something the customer would need to give or take upon, my point was the ease between the two comparitively speaking. Hard to tell maybe since we don't have the DI yet, but there are already manufacturers making conversion deals for the LS7 I surmise.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #34
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Bump, ....yawn... GM isn't going to recertify a LS3 and make it stouter, although they could but that's not what they do. NOW, the LS7 at 505 is a reality, it's in it's curtain call, I.E. swan song upcoming with the advent of the new DI motor. Question is... why not use it for a finale Z28? That, or we wait and buy some crate motors after the next phase enters. I don't think they <next gen DI engines> will plug and play as easily as LS gen motors in our current models going forward.
Only problem I see now with them using a LS7 in the Z/28 would be this.

The LS7 is on its way out if its only going to be used for say one more year, that would make the Z/28 get produced for only 1 year with the LS7 and if they continued it the next year it would have to have a different engine.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #35
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Only problem I see now with them using a LS7 in the Z/28 would be this.

The LS7 is on its way out if its only going to be used for say one more year, that would make the Z/28 get produced for only 1 year with the LS7 and if they continued it the next year it would have to have a different engine.
That isn't the problem. That is the opportunity. The new C7 Vette will not use the LS7. The production motors that GM would have built for the Z06 become available for the Z/28. When those production LS7s are gone, they are really gone. GM makes the switch to DI 8s. A LS7 Z/28 will be a very special Camaro.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #36
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,289
Thinking that way ^ yeah it will be very rare and special.

Not a chance to sell a lot of cars, and that to me screams huge dealer mark ups. But It would make it a really special car. Touche
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #37
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,858
Like Pete said, that would be cool, and nothing out of the ordinary of shared motors from the past lineage of Corvette and Camaro history. As Pete mentioned previously, EPA emission regs could be an issue, but that makes me wonder why can not GM write code to have a LS7 fitted to a Camaro and meet clean air requirements like the Corvette does? The ECM can be recallibrated. The GM engineers are top dogs in the field. If they can write code for the algorythims on the ZL1 to perform as it does, then it should not be a big issue to position the LS7 in a C5 Camaro frame and bring us the Z28. Even so, after time, the LS7 will be available as an off road use crate motor from GM, and we can purchase one if it is deemed nececessary to hold onto and have for future deployment in a departing C5 chassis. The next two years are an exciting time of possibilities.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #38
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
That isn't the problem. That is the opportunity. The new C7 Vette will not use the LS7. The production motors that GM would have built for the Z06 become available for the Z/28. When those production LS7s are gone, they are really gone. GM makes the switch to DI 8s. A LS7 Z/28 will be a very special Camaro.
Bulls Eye Pete.

I'd like to see them Cam it up a bit closer to 550 HP just for the raw power of it. But 505 with proper gearing, maybe a seat delete option and roll bar addition might be nice ("bossish")... Add a cold air intake to the front of the ZL1 Hood, maybe remove weight and make it a pure track star that WILL NOT overheat! I can see it happening sooner than later AND betting money predicts <500 would be built. Thus, scooped up B4 the email to dealers is printed out!
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #39
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
My theory (and just that, I have no proof), is simple. The ZL-1 was in fact originally slated to be the new Z-28 model.
You are correct. There is evidence the current ZL1 was suppose to be a Z-28.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #40
Mikes SS

 
Mikes SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 945
Yeah great..thanks for the assurance that an LS7 powered 5th gen Z/28 will be unattainable for the average hardworking guy like myself. Dealer mark-ups for a limited edition (1 year run) and a 10K engine really make for a great business sense. Thanks!! Hey here's and idea, why not use the DI 6.2L for a Z-28 so more than 500 rich people can buy one!!
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #41
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
Yeah great..thanks for the assurance that an LS7 powered 5th gen Z/28 will be unattainable for the average hardworking guy like myself. Dealer mark-ups for a limited edition (1 year run) and a 10K engine really make for a great business sense. Thanks!! Hey here's and idea, why not use the DI 6.2L for a Z-28 so more than 500 rich people can buy one!!
Maybe they will, but I my guess is the DI engines will first appear in the 6th Gen.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #42
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
That isn't the problem. That is the opportunity. The new C7 Vette will not use the LS7. The production motors that GM would have built for the Z06 become available for the Z/28. When those production LS7s are gone, they are really gone. GM makes the switch to DI 8s.

An opportunity to keep Wixom working...

A LS7 Z/28 will be a very special Camaro.
Yes, indeedie!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #43
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA
 
daveagogo1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trinity, Florida
Posts: 6,627
It is pretty common knowledge that the 5th gen is a modern retro 1st gen inspired car. Now if you were trying to hold as true as you could to the heritage with things like even an "F" in the vin then clearly most people can see why GM would not make a supercharged 580hp Z28 when the SS is a N/A 400-426hp version. The only real logical name from the past to use is a ZL1 as it made huge power over both of them.


To be honest the 1LE imo should have been called a Z28 as it's the closest thing to one. Could have easily dropped in a number of other LS engines to make it a very similar offering to the 1st gen model.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Fast cars have rubber on the quarter panels...you sissies need to knock it off.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #44
AdamZ
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairfield, OH
Posts: 17,951
Damn...how you doin?



AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.