Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #26
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
If you take the time to read through the Z28 threads you will see we have, as Clyde said, discussed many possibilities. We've had the pleasure to have had some insiders point us in the right directions as to what is doable, what is possible and probable if they do make a 5Gen Z28. I'm sorry, but using the word whiners comes accross as a childish way to argue your point.

Take the time and read intently through the threads to see why we've come to the understanding we have.
Of the threads I have seen there have been many heated discussions over what a Z28 should be. Saying I am being childish saying there are whiners on here, well all I can say is there are a lot of people that like to complain in a manner that comes across as whining. Seems like I was attacked for just giving a what if.
Anyway they need to go back to the original formula they used for a Z28 back in 67. That was the true Z the 67-69 versions.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #27
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
My comment is again based on insider comments.
Ok I will accept that but again my what if comment was just in reply to my sons comment about the 1LE package not being the Boss competitor. And if they could bump up the HP and remove weight if it would qualify as a Z28.
Never ever saying it would be done, at least not in the 5th Gen.

I am sorry if I said anything that may have upset those Z28 faithful. So i will now bow out gracefully.Good night everyone and I hope you all get what you want in a Z28
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 09-07-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #28
jesserayjames


 
jesserayjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 4,863
You guys are never happy......................... JRJ
__________________
CAMARO 2SS/RS 6M
jesserayjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #29
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesserayjames View Post
You guys are never happy......................... JRJ
Then don't stop by this forum, perhaps then our "unhappiness" won't affect you.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #30
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Of the threads I have seen there have been many heated discussions over what a Z28 should be. Saying I am being childish saying there are whiners on here, well all I can say is there are a lot of people that like to complain in a manner that comes across as whining. Seems like I was attacked for just giving a what if.
Anyway they need to go back to the original formula they used for a Z28 back in 67. That was the true Z the 67-69 versions.
I fully agree with your thought that the 1Gen is to be emulated. I also fully believe based on what FbodFather and others (in the know) have said is that GM (finally) gets it. And they so far are proving that point.

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 09-07-2012 at 07:43 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #31
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Ok I will accept that but again my what if comment was just in reply to my sons comment about the 1LE package not being the Boss competitor. And if they could bump up the HP and remove weight if it would qualify as a Z28.
Never ever saying it would be done, at least not in the 5th Gen.

I am sorry if I said anything that may have upset those Z28 faithful. So i will now bow out gracefully.Good night everyone and I hope you all get what you want in a Z28
I agree with both of you the 1LE is a very impressive "Track Pack". It should be compared primarily to the Mustang GT "Track Pack" due to it being an option for the SS as well as its price point. The fact that it is superior to the Boss in some of its capabilities just shows the high value that comes from the Camaro brand.

I'm personally not upset, just trying to help others not as deeply familiar with all the in-depth discussions here see why we've come to the conclusions we have. Some that are faithful regulars to the Z28 threads can get upset (I have myself been offended by others) due to the attempts by some (not you) that I call hit-n-runners. They come hear and leave very negative comments and disappear. So some if us may be sensitive to that. Your welcome to come back.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #32
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
What of they bumped up the HP of the 1LE to 475HP and dropped 200 pounds of weight. Would it then qualify as a Z28 in your eyes?
a bump in hp and an option like the laguna seca edition boss would be awesome. roll cage and all. The 1LE option is more a track pack then anything. which the mustang has also. it's just my opinion.


I know this has nothing to do with this thread but. why does the 1LE, Vert and Z28 get it's on sections for models/packages but the V-6, SS, and ZL1 all are still at the top of the page. . . improper lay out imo. someone should say something to the mods about how the site isn't laid out properly. lol.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #33
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
a bump in hp and an option like the laguna seca edition boss would be awesome. roll cage and all. The 1LE option is more a track pack then anything. which the mustang has also. it's just my opinion.


I know this has nothing to do with this thread but. why does the 1LE, Vert and Z28 get it's on sections for models/packages but the V-6, SS, and ZL1 all are still at the top of the page. . . improper lay out imo. someone should say something to the mods about how the site isn't laid out properly. lol.
I agree. We all thought some of the sections were gone at first. Since they did this these sections of the forum have been much quieter. :(
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #34
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I guess we are the bastard children then.

the ZL1 , ss and v6 should be down in this section and then 1le a subform of the SS section.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #35
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,135
The main Camaro offerings need to be prominent, so that the followers of those models can easily come together.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #36
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
The main Camaro offerings need to be prominent, so that the followers of those models can easily come together.
I love all Camaro models.....from LS to ZL1 there ain't a bad one in the bunch!!!
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #37
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
but as you said. these sections fall threw the cracks. if they were to move this section up and add the ones that should also be here traffic would still come in and organize the site better. jmo. ran a forum for about 6 months for a car club. so it's just something that annoys me. oh well back on topic.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #38
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
but as you said. these sections fall threw the cracks. if they were to move this section up and add the ones that should also be here traffic would still come in and organize the site better. jmo. ran a forum for about 6 months for a car club. so it's just something that annoys me. oh well back on topic.
Topic? We have topics here?? Just kidding, I hope it won't be that long till we see a proper model for the topics in this forum.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #39
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5
 
Jaime068's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS RJT
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Pierce, Florida
Posts: 1,315
I seen this article earlier today, do really hope they do a z28....would be my next car for sure lol

"This should raise the eyebrows of a few Camaro enthusiasts. GM Authority is reporting that General Motors has filed with the "United States Patent and Trademark Office for a trademark of the "Z28" moniker. Oh, do we have your attention?

Many GM performance fans were surprised when Chevrolet did not use the Z28 nameplate for its range-topping, supercharged ZL1 Camaro. There were rumors afoot that Chevrolet may still employ the Z28 name at some point, but some of the air went out of that balloon when an option pack debuted between the SS and the ZL1 wearing the 1LE designation. And potentially furthering this speculation is an April tidbit from Camaro5, where a forum member discovered that his Camaro ZL1 diffuser bracket had the designation "Z28" on it.

Yet while many such filings are to be taken with a grain of salt (often it's just a brand looking to protect a dormant or lapsed trademark), a development like this only stokes the rumormongers' flames.

The ZL1 is, without a doubt, the top of the Camaro performance ladder, so where would a Z28 fit? GM Authority offers some speculation, suggesting that a production Z28 could "even out-muscle the ZL1." Another interesting theory they offer is that the Z28 appellation could replace the Camaro SS designation, as Chevy has the Zeta-based SS sedan range coming in next year, and GM officials could be worried about confusion in the marketplace.

When the first-generation Camaro came out in 1967, Z28 was merely the option code designation for a race-ready package (SS models were option code Z27). It was not mentioned in any literature and many customers did not know about it at first. Since then, the Z/28 has become an iconic name in the world of muscle cars."
__________________
Jaime068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #40
Baltimorejohn1

 
Baltimorejohn1's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime068 View Post
I seen this article earlier today, do really hope they do a z28....would be my next car for sure lol

"This should raise the eyebrows of a few Camaro enthusiasts. GM Authority is reporting that General Motors has filed with the "United States Patent and Trademark Office for a trademark of the "Z28" moniker. Oh, do we have your attention?

Many GM performance fans were surprised when Chevrolet did not use the Z28 nameplate for its range-topping, supercharged ZL1 Camaro. There were rumors afoot that Chevrolet may still employ the Z28 name at some point, but some of the air went out of that balloon when an option pack debuted between the SS and the ZL1 wearing the 1LE designation. And potentially furthering this speculation is an April tidbit from Camaro5, where a forum member discovered that his Camaro ZL1 diffuser bracket had the designation "Z28" on it.

Yet while many such filings are to be taken with a grain of salt (often it's just a brand looking to protect a dormant or lapsed trademark), a development like this only stokes the rumormongers' flames.

The ZL1 is, without a doubt, the top of the Camaro performance ladder, so where would a Z28 fit? GM Authority offers some speculation, suggesting that a production Z28 could "even out-muscle the ZL1." Another interesting theory they offer is that the Z28 appellation could replace the Camaro SS designation, as Chevy has the Zeta-based SS sedan range coming in next year, and GM officials could be worried about confusion in the marketplace.

When the first-generation Camaro came out in 1967, Z28 was merely the option code designation for a race-ready package (SS models were option code Z27). It was not mentioned in any literature and many customers did not know about it at first. Since then, the Z/28 has become an iconic name in the world of muscle cars."
Daddy is home... All I know is I grew up riding my bike watching the cool guys have Z28's and 5.0's.....

I paricularly wanted a IROC-Z..... when it came out the stir it caused made it the car to have....

Heck it was a hero before ever being released....

Video Z28--- http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?m...&trkid=3326878
Baltimorejohn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #41
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,859
...and in those days of the 80's I longed for the real HP motors to return. Hate to say, but the only worthy car was a Buick GN, and that was a 6. It did run strong however. Alas, we fast forward decades to the future and true factory high performance once again lives. It will be the same small window as in the day, only to fade to black for looming CAFE and it's associated price with surchages.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #42
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,135
I think people in general have gotten used to having power in their vehicles. I don't think it's the end of HP and performance like the 70's. But there will be changes in how it's achieved.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #43
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,859
True chance...but in my mind CAFE and the new technology (DI, new manufacturing processes and materials) will make it less affordable...as if 54,995 before GG tax, options, tax and tags is affordable now. It's all relative. I'm lucky to be in a position at this point in my life to see it, and be able to have it. For that I am truely Blessed.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #44
Richy_Rich
FAVOR
 
Richy_Rich's Avatar
 
Drives: Many Different Rides
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 784
My FAV concept
__________________
Please be kind when you drive; thank you.

Last edited by Richy_Rich; 10-11-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Richy_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #45
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post

Chance of Z/28: 75% plus = 100%
Chance of IROC: 0%
100% IMHO ----Maybe 100 of them!!
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #46
Brutal SS


 
Brutal SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dinwiddie, Va.
Posts: 4,628
I think it may have happened something like this:

Some time ago, the ZL1 was actually gonna be called the Z28, (as evidenced by some ZL1 parts being stamped with the Z28 name). Then, something (unknown to us) happened in the upper echelon of GM, and it was decided to be called the ZL1 instead. In the meantime, the Z28 name was then secured, but pushed back to re-appear later, and my guess it will be in a 6th gen.

Your thoughts?
__________________
Brutal SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #47
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....
 
MikeSVX's Avatar
 
Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Your dealer is full of "chit" if he told you GM was coming out with anything that wasn't already available.

Of course, they might bring back the Z/28. But nobody from GM is going to say anything.
Anything you hear on that subject is just rummors.

As for the IROC, I can't see them bringing it back.
That model was named after race series which no longer exists.

Chance of Z/28: 75% plus
Chance of IROC: 0%


Not to mention, at the end of the run, the name was sold to Dodge to put on the IROC Daytonas.
MikeSVX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #48
DZ28
 
DZ28's Avatar
 
Drives: IBM 2SS Camaro RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Milford, MI
Posts: 690
My guess is the Z will make a return. Nothing in the Camaro line up is aimed at the Boss. I like a bump in HP and a serious suspension that like the Boss can go right to the track. Yes I recognize some think the 1LE is there and I like it. Z/28 needs to be a halo so engine performance has to increase. If they make one I will choose it over a ZL1 or maybe sell my 550 horse 2010 and buy both! The gen6 Camaro I expect to be more Caddy ATS size with smaller displacement engines. I'll take an overweight gen5 with lots of motor and big brakes over the gen6....
__________________
IBM 2SSRS Camaro M6 w/beige leather, and sunroof... ZL1 Polished wheels w/Goodyear F1 tires, Corsa, LSR CAI, Pfadt sways, Eibach coilovers, Kooks 1-7/8's headers & hiflow cats, VMS 2.5 Cam kit, VMAX throttle body, JL Audio 12W6 subwoofer, JL Audio XD400/4 & XD600/1 amps, JL Audio door speakers, MGW shifter, heritage grill, Sparks emblems, TechAFX heater bypass, FAST LSXr, 2011 Strut brace and BMR sub-frame connectors/Tunnel brace, DSS 1000 axles...
DZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #49
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
Not to mention, at the end of the run, the name was sold to Dodge to put on the IROC Daytonas.
"IROC" was a licensed name; rights were "leased" from Jay Signore, then-President of International Race Of Champions (IROC), first to Chev and then to Dodge. IROC (the Series) also raced Porsches (initially) and Firebirds (finally). Now defunct.
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #50
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime068 View Post
I seen this article earlier today, do really hope they do a z28....would be my next car for sure lol

"This should raise the eyebrows of a few Camaro enthusiasts. GM Authority is reporting that General Motors has filed with the "United States Patent and Trademark Office for a trademark of the "Z28" moniker. Oh, do we have your attention?

Many GM performance fans were surprised when Chevrolet did not use the Z28 nameplate for its range-topping, supercharged ZL1 Camaro. There were rumors afoot that Chevrolet may still employ the Z28 name at some point, but some of the air went out of that balloon when an option pack debuted between the SS and the ZL1 wearing the 1LE designation. And potentially furthering this speculation is an April tidbit from Camaro5, where a forum member discovered that his Camaro ZL1 diffuser bracket had the designation "Z28" on it.

Yet while many such filings are to be taken with a grain of salt (often it's just a brand looking to protect a dormant or lapsed trademark), a development like this only stokes the rumormongers' flames.

The ZL1 is, without a doubt, the top of the Camaro performance ladder, so where would a Z28 fit? GM Authority offers some speculation, suggesting that a production Z28 could "even out-muscle the ZL1." Another interesting theory they offer is that the Z28 appellation could replace the Camaro SS designation, as Chevy has the Zeta-based SS sedan range coming in next year, and GM officials could be worried about confusion in the marketplace.

When the first-generation Camaro came out in 1967, Z28 was merely the option code designation for a race-ready package (SS models were option code Z27). It was not mentioned in any literature and many customers did not know about it at first. Since then, the Z/28 has become an iconic name in the world of muscle cars."
Yes... on a road course it would out muscle a ZL1 because it will have cold air induction vents, run cool, run hard, run long. You just get this feeling that a Z/28 is just around the corner waiting to breathe fire on the whole parade! Likely won't be too friendly on the street -- much like the GT500. Still <500 IMHO.... maybe <100. Maybe even "COPO typical" availability....
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.