Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Old 06-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Cafe Standards ? Is Ford ahead of the game ?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/09/u...rbocharged-v8/

BobCat v8:Fords underdevelopment turbo v8

Interesting read. Could solved the whole cafe standard issue if it can be scaled back...

Discuss.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
JHart
I haz camaro again :)

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
i'm a diehard chevy guy but this i hear about the bringing back of the 5.0 has some of my friends really glad. the 4.6 just ain't workin for them and they know it's gonna take more than that to get my ss.

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Ford is definitely ahead of the game with high-performance engines right now. GM hasn't been working on the generation V engines for a bit, and that means that GM will have to release underpowered engines unless they can finish up some V8s with more efficient technology. I'm under the impression that GM has done very little or no work on a new turbocharged 6-cylinder engine, which means that the EcoBoost system will have no competition until GM builds a similar alternative to the V8.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
So this engine has direct injection, it seems?
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I actually like the new Focus. Just in terms of being a good solid car.

In terms of that car going against the GM global or the new small Crysler / Fiat car. yea Ford is ahead of the game.

What about Cobalt? Yea just as good or better than Focus (SS for sure). But why do we need cars smaller than these?
Boggle??

As far as sports cars like Camaro etc. They (enemies of suv's and sports cars) just want those wiped out. a Cobalt will be a HUGE car in a few years. SS's banned or very expensive. Well more than now.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Gm will respond and of course the Gm engine will respond to mods better than Ford. Ford usually pays more attention to things like backseat room and trunk space. Gm focuses on Performance. With the time we have been at idle and then come back in the first year and win back the crown that should say enough.

Time will tell......
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowYellow View Post
Gm will respond and of course the Gm engine will respond to mods better than Ford. Ford usually pays more attention to things like backseat room and trunk space. Gm focuses on Performance. With the time we have been at idle and then come back in the first year and win back the crown that should say enough.

Time will tell......
Hmm you see..its quotes like these that makes me go wow...I'll let someone else comment on this..

Never mind the fact about the article..Just reply with blind Fanboism..yeah..that's the way !!!!
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Fanboiism is alive and well.
Dakota Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
this thread looks familiar
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I just read that GM has a 415 hp DI V6 based on the 3.0 running reliably? I can't find the article though so I guess it doesn't count.

Sort of a thread jack, but the tuners have been pushing some of this technology. I know tuners and their 4 cylinders don't get a lot of respect on these forums, but they should- because they've been hacking together systems that do something similar to this in their back yard.

For instance they've been spraying methanol in crazy turbo'd 4 cylinders so they can push their timing without knocking and cool the charge further. 40 years ago there were 19 year olds in their back yard trying to figure out how to get more out of whatever car they could get their hands on. Now there are 19 year olds doing the same, but they're using computers and talking about some pretty heady engineering issues. I'd be willing to bet that some of those 19 year olds in 2000 are now young auto-engineers.

(edit: ps. yes I know they put these in other vehicles too, but the FI guys have really been pushing this for street cars).
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
Hmm you see..its quotes like these that makes me go wow...I'll let someone else comment on this..

Never mind the fact about the article..Just reply with blind Fanboism..yeah..that's the way !!!!
The Sky is Falling The Sky is Falling "BS"
Competition is getting BETTER
I'm Happy Ford is putting the 5.0L in there Stang.
I'm not worried about Gm and the performance of there vehicles
im the one who always said I wish they would make the camaro
more comfortable and not look just at the performance...well they listened.
GM will respond with another engine in the future...maybe not tomorrow but they will and it will be strong.
For a company take idle time for a few years then try to make a come back with a car and step in to only put a DI V6 with 300hp in a car thats awsome.

As for the 5.0L im curious how its going to Wake up to mods if its anything like the 4.6 or 5.4 then I dont know what to say Not saying Ford cant gain power by mods just they havent gained as much with the 4.6L. that may change with a larger displacement.

The LS3 and L99 are both engines that can very easily gain power with bolts on's. A simple exhaust and tune is pushing over 35+ some companies are getting 40+ .

I'm a Chevy Fanatic and know the Financal probs that are going on.
most of my friends are Ford people and all they say is we are so far ahead of you GM folks.....Ok thats ok if you wanna think that
Lets see power wise how the new 5.0L ranks up to the LS3 especially when saying lets add an exhaust and see who gains more. Ford will be DI but by the time it gets out and pumping GM will have there own DI in a V8 as well. You seriously think GM is going to get caught sleeping when it comes to performance ? Maybe other stuff but not performance.

Weight plays a part right now but in a few years Ford will have to do the same thing as GM and dodge has had to do and thats gain weight and get up to safety standards for that time.
Maybe even put an IRS in there car.....A better IRS than the Cobra had a few years back.

I dont want this to sound like im bashing Ford im really not just saying until they prove me wrong with this new 5.0L if its built to the point like the last few engines mod's wont do that much like it does for Gm's engines.

We are all doing good right now and thats good
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote