Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #35
Stingray
just can't get enough
 
Stingray's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06, a Shelby, a Porsche, a Ram
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
That's good, but an SS and a Boss are apples and oranges.

The design of the 1LE is superior to the Boss (and for a lot less $$$$). The 1LE has a much more rigid structure, an independent rear, lower CG, wider track, wider wheels and tires, superior brakes, better transmission...
I didn't just crawl out of a rock, I know the difference b/t the two... I own them for christ sakes.

And like stated before, the power and delivery in the Boss is linear and precise... it has character, heritage and personality that go far deeper than the 1LE's. The robust forged internals of the Boss is also topshelf - reliability and longevity. An SS can be converted to a 1LE much less (cost wise and effort wise) than a GT converted into a Boss. I'm happy with both MY rides... permagrin as bold as a blue oval and as wide as a bowtie.
__________________
Just a few toys... and from a Z51 to the Z06!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #36
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 3,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
An SS can be converted to a 1LE much less (cost wise and effort wise) than a GT converted into a Boss. I'm happy with both MY rides... permagrin as bold as a blue oval and as wide as a bowtie.
I have to disagree here. Have you looked at all the differences, they have almost the same upgradess over the GT and SS except the Boss has a revamped engine but same trans as the GT, the 1LE has the same engine but a revemped trans and axles.

This is a really good detailed list of differences between the GT and Boss, if the 1LE had one it would be similar (except for the trans vs. engine upgrades). The 1LE has a lot of little things that arent well known like more fule pickup, new fuel pump, oil separator, trans cooler, ZL1 steering wheel and shifter, etc. The Boss will likely cost more to convert but I don't think the difference is that big.
http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...bout-the-boss/
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #37
Stingray
just can't get enough
 
Stingray's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06, a Shelby, a Porsche, a Ram
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I have to disagree here. Have you looked at all the differences, they have almost the same upgradess over the GT and SS except the Boss has a revamped engine but same trans as the GT, the 1LE has the same engine but a revemped trans and axles.

This is a really good detailed list of differences between the GT and Boss, if the 1LE had one it would be similar (except for the trans vs. engine upgrades). The 1LE has a lot of little things that arent well known like more fule pickup, new fuel pump, oil separator, trans cooler, ZL1 steering wheel and shifter, etc. The Boss will likely cost more to convert but I don't think the difference is that big.
http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...bout-the-boss/
Yup saw that before too... I'm also a member on BMO, TMS, etc... I'm really focusing on the Boss' engine and I know it's debatable but keep in mind the Boss' Roadrunner powerplant is the heart & soul, stock. Interesting and highly educational reading here as well- http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...2/viewall.html
__________________
Just a few toys... and from a Z51 to the Z06!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #38
VR1LE
lighten up Francis
 
VR1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Liberty City,FL
Posts: 218
they are both very nice cars and I have said before I would be happy in either one of them. But the facts are still the facts. The 1LE is faster around a race track for far less $$$$$. I just did Not want to spend more and get a slower car as a starting point I would have to work up hill and spend lots of $ on the boss to equal a stock 1LE .For me it did not make good sense to purchase a boss for what I want to do with it. Enjoy your cars as they are both awesome!!!
__________________
1SS 1LE track rat ordered 10/19
Arrived at dealer 12/26/12 after hours delivery


Last edited by VR1LE; 10-25-2012 at 03:55 PM.
VR1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #39
Stingray
just can't get enough
 
Stingray's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06, a Shelby, a Porsche, a Ram
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR1LE View Post
they are both very nice cars and I have said before I would be happy in either one of them. But the facts are still the facts. The 1LE is faster around a race track for far less $$$$$. I just did mot want to spend more and get a slower car as a starting point I would have to work up hill and spend lots of $ on the boss to equal a stock 1LE .For me it did not make good sense to purchase a boss for what I want to do with it. Enjoy your cars as they are both awesome!!!
Oh I agree. The 1LE is a total bargain for the buck... perfect for Stig'meisters so to speak
Got my Boss for 40k on the dot this past May since the '13s were rolling out and there was a '12 on the showroom floor near my neck of the woods. I wasn't even thinking of the Boss since I was shopping for a loaded '13 GT but their prices were breaching 40s already. I really like what Chevy did in producing the 1LE... basically correcting the missing links in a SS. I'm not into complex modifications for now and enjoy these cars straight from the factory. The Camaro I'll likely tinker with a little more (CAI, more bolts ons, etc.) but the Boss is already a great all-around package for what it is... and it sounds like nirvana with the stock quad exhausts and the high-breathing high-revving robust engine.
__________________
Just a few toys... and from a Z51 to the Z06!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #40
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
I didn't just crawl out of a rock, I know the difference b/t the two... I own them for christ sakes.

And like stated before, the power and delivery in the Boss is linear and precise... it has character, heritage and personality that go far deeper than the 1LE's. The robust forged internals of the Boss is also topshelf - reliability and longevity. An SS can be converted to a 1LE much less (cost wise and effort wise) than a GT converted into a Boss. I'm happy with both MY rides... permagrin as bold as a blue oval and as wide as a bowtie.

Yes, you should be happy with that garage!

No doubt if I could I'd buy a Boss LS and a new Z28 (they better make it). Talk about history!!! I do think the Ford Boss and GT500 engines are top notch for a pony car. But as for the rest of the car GM has won that.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #41
Stingray
just can't get enough
 
Stingray's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06, a Shelby, a Porsche, a Ram
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes, you should be happy with that garage!

No doubt if I could I'd buy a Boss LS and a new Z28 (they better make it). Talk about history!!! I do think the Ford Boss and GT500 engines are top notch for a pony car. But as for the rest of the car GM has won that.
I dream of a new Z/28... hopefully it won't disappoint. I wish Pontiac was still around (TransAms) but that's a separate topic. The Boss is a no-brainer and if I didn't have either right now then I'd seriously look at ordering a 1LE. This addiction doesn't subside though... went from a V6 Camaro to a SS... now dreaming of a ZL1. I'm in with that beast.
__________________
Just a few toys... and from a Z51 to the Z06!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #42
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
I dream of a new Z/28... hopefully it won't disappoint. I wish Pontiac was still around (TransAms) but that's a separate topic. The Boss is a no-brainer and if I didn't have either right now then I'd seriously look at ordering a 1LE. This addiction doesn't subside though... went from a V6 Camaro to a SS... now dreaming of a ZL1. I'm in with that beast.
Wait and trade that SS in for a Z28 (I'm feeling lucky). A 5Gen Z28 would be a 1LE + ZL1 Brakes + Aero Package + More HP (LS7?). Trust me it WILL be awesome.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #43
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 3,020
Would you be mad if one year after you bought a 2014 Z28 the gen 6 SS weighed less,had the same HP and handled nearly as well? I am buying a 1LE until the gen 6 Z arrives.
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #44
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Would you be mad if one year after you bought a 2014 Z28 the gen 6 SS weighed less,had the same HP and handled nearly as well? I am buying a 1LE until the gen 6 Z arrives.
Personally I love the design of the 5Gen. A 6Gen will be smaller and only weigh 200-300 pounds less (estimated). It will only get a couple miles to the gallon better fuel economy (estimated). These are not enough to sway me. I look to history in I really like the design of the 1Gen, but not so much the 2Gen. I have found that newer is not always better.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.