Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences Share review & feedback on vendors and sellers

Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #51
BadAssBumbleBee

Drives: 2010 Callaway SC572
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
This is a post from BasAssBumbleBee when he unboxed his AAC installed HID retrofit. It's not the best pic, but if you look at the one that's of the back of the housing you can see that it doesn't look like what's in your OP. Did you say AAC installed them?
To Stig and anyone else that may be interested in the AAC Retrofit HID kit, here's my story.....

As you can see from my pictures, my lights arrive looking absolutely perfect. Unfortunately they arrived towards the end of November and I could not install them right away as my garage is not insulated. It gets a little chilly in Canada when you're trying to work on your car in the middle of winter.

Figuring it was the safest place to store them, I left my lights sitting in the original packaging sitting in the corner of my family room until this past spring. When I took them out to install them, the inside of both lenses had developed some nasty fogging/hazing and there were what looked like water marks and streaking from something not being dried properly.

When I contacted AAC (Jonathan) about this issue, he initially told me that in 10 years they have never encountered something like this and would look into it for me. A few days later I talked to Jonathan again and he basically told me I was SOL with a warranty claim as I should have taken the lights out of the box right away and installed them because the foam packing material caused a chemical reaction that caused the fogging and hazing.

After a few more e-mail back and forth, Jonathan did offer to "try and clean" the lenses for me but he wasn't sure if that would work. That option was going to cost me several hundred dollars in shipping charges as well as for their time to clean the lenses, so I opened the lights myself and cleaned them with some rubbing alcohol. A little fine rubbing compound later and my lights are almost crystal clear now. Total cost $2.99 for the bottle of rubbing alcohol and about two hours of my time on a Sunday morning!

By the way, the harness that AAC included with my Bi Xenon kit had no provision for the high beam function on the driver side!!!! They told me that I had to tap into the stock harness myself.....what a joke! You can pick up a proper H13 Bi Xenon harness on eBay for about $10.00 or you can contact The Retrofit Source and purchase one of their Bi-Xenon MotoControl harnesses for about $35.00.

One more thing to note, these lights and the supplied harness don't work properly with the DRL feature on Canadian cars. My lights only worked if it was dark out or if the dash switch was turned to the full on position, any other setting would cause the lights to flicker.

If it wasn't for the help I received from Ofer (2SSRS) and the custom harness he made to correct my problem, I would have ripped my lights out a long time ago and chalked up the $1300.00 loss as a very expensive lesson about what vendor (AAC) never to deal with again!

Steve

PS
As for the issue that Shazam613 is having with his bulbs being glued in, I think it's either POS quality control or someone at AAC trying to avoid a similar issue to mine coming back to them.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #52
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Wow!
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #53
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
1300??? Are you serious?? You can get a set of lights for 150 and the entire retrofit for under 300. What's the other 950 for??
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #54
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
1300??? Are you serious?? You can get a set of lights for 150 and the entire retrofit for under 300. What's the other 950 for??
Probably another 300 if he added colorshift halos but that's still 650 for install and stuff. That's crazy!!!!!! I did the install overnight and it was rather easy. Heck, if you'd given them to me, I could have done them cheap for you! I'm sorry but 650 for install and misc. stuff is crazy

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #55
BadAssBumbleBee

Drives: 2010 Callaway SC572
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Probably another 300 if he added colorshift halos but that's still 650 for install and stuff. That's crazy!!!!!! I did the install overnight and it was rather easy. Heck, if you'd given them to me, I could have done them cheap for you! I'm sorry but 650 for install and misc. stuff is crazy
That price included shipping to Canada, import duties, brokerage fees and the conversion rate at the time. I also ordered two pairs of the 5202 plasma bulbs (one pair for the Camaro and one pair for my Jeep) which ended up being about 1/3 as bright as the 5202 bulbs I just got from Gen5DIY.

Like I said before, if I knew then what I know now...
Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #56
Shazam613

Drives: Ordered 2010 Camaro 2LT
Currently in talks with AAC now to get call tags from them for shipping the lights back to them so they can be rechecked. Right now there seems to be some issue in receiving the call tags via email from them. Going on day 3 now.

Also requested the information for the manufacturer for the projectors. AAC won't provide their supplier but say they are from Morimoto.

(blinks)

I'm.........I'm just speechless at this. If anyone reading this thread knows of anyone looking into retrofits, by all means, forward this thread to them and advise them to stay far away from AAC
Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #57
C586
Account Suspended

And who is paying for the shipping?? How much will these lights have cost you in paying somebody to swap them and just shipping?? It's very easy to do yourself so AACs mistake won't cost you more money. We all know they don't care you don't have a car with no headlights and have to pay somebody to swap them.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #58
Shazam613

AAC is supposed to be picking up the tab on this one, but for some reason I can't seem to get the call tags sent to me. 3 days later and nothing. Supposed to be coming from UPS. My patience is at its end. Normally the installers in the area would charge about 65 an hour in labor, but the installer has been cool about it so far. I know not to take that for granted. Known him for a while and he feels bad about the issues with AAC. Shipping would be about $25 a headlight with insurance if going through USPS.

At this point and time....I wish I had gone the route of TRS or 2SSRS. I definitely know the next time. On Facebook letting every club member and person I know to not do business with AAC.

Quote:
And who is paying for the shipping?? How much will these lights have cost you in paying somebody to swap them and just shipping?? It's very easy to do yourself so AACs mistake won't cost you more money. We all know they don't care you don't have a car with no headlights and have to pay somebody to swap them.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #59
C586
Account Suspended

So who wants proof AAC is stealing from TRS??

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/albu...achmentid=4012

See this pic??

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...tssection.aspx

Look at custom headlights.....

Apparently AAC did the exact same retrofit and used the same picture?? LMAO

I wonder what else AAC is stealing from other companies that actually know what they are doing??
Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #60
RatRacer
SWFL Token Truck Owner

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green LS
You don't email call tags. You submit them to UPS and the driver shows up at your door with them to affix to the return box, or they snail mail them to you for your drop off convenience.
RatRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #61
Shazam613

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
You don't email call tags. You submit them to UPS and the driver shows up at your door with them to affix to the return box, or they snail mail them to you for your drop off convenience.
Thanks for the info RatRacer. Haven't heard anything from AAC or UPS at this time. Slowly but surely I'm losing patience with this company. Trying to figure out how best to put the word out for potential customers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #62
Shazam613

I've been in contact with a few site admins and vendors and it seems AAC carries a known reputation for shady dealings and underhanded tactics. Man, I wish I had done my homework better. This is a nightmare, and seems to be no recourse other than the BBB.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #63
RatRacer
SWFL Token Truck Owner

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green LS
If you paid by CC, you can try going thru them. They are all about protecting their customers.
RatRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #64
AndrewTRS
Account Suspended

Drives: Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam613 View Post
Also requested the information for the manufacturer for the projectors. AAC won't provide their supplier but say they are from Morimoto.
We own the Morimoto trademark. Morimoto isn't a company. Silly AAC.
AndrewTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #65
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt VR/RS CGM Rally's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synerbee View Post
Now, once we figure out where they get their halo rings we will be in business!

CHINA!!!!!! we just need to find the place lol
Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #66
C586
Account Suspended

AACs halos are pretty much copies of ones purchased from TRS as well. It's been discussed on hidplanet.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #67
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS
Quote:
AACs halos are pretty much copies of ones purchased from TRS as well. It's been discussed on hidplanet.
i wish they had 160mm if so i would of bought them for the headlight halos . Im still happy with my flashtech halos tho. Half the price of aac and super bright
Old 11-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #68
muscle96ss

Drives: 02 SS 35th LE Vert, 2013 ZL-1 Vert
I think the fact that AAC hasn't even bothered to respond or defend themselves on this thread speaks volumes!!
muscle96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #69
Shazam613

Finally received the call tags, drove to the nearest UPS store and sent the headlights back to AAC. Waiting to see what comes of this. Will keep you all updated.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #70
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam613 View Post
Finally received the call tags, drove to the nearest UPS store and sent the headlights back to AAC. Waiting to see what comes of this. Will keep you all updated.
be prepared to wait a long time to get them back. I sent one of my side marker over 5 weeks ago and still nothing back.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #71
Shazam613

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle96ss View Post
I think the fact that AAC hasn't even bothered to respond or defend themselves on this thread speaks volumes!!
I agree! Some companies dont take stock in what weight their reputations carry, and how bad reviews can affect business. I know a large group of people who are paying close attention to this thread to see how things are resolved. I guess AAC feels they dont have anything to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertoricanfont View Post
be prepared to wait a long time to get them back. I sent one of my side marker over 5 weeks ago and still nothing back.
Wouldn't doubt this at all. Luckily I have a spare set of headlights on my camaro now. Still doesn't satisfy me....this kind of thing shouldn't happen in the first place.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #72
AFCMSGTRET
TCC SWFL Chapter

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Black/IO Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle96ss View Post
In 2012 I spent almost $400 on AAC products. I was unaware so many people were upset with their products and customer support. I have been following this thread since the beginning and I too am troubled by AAC not responding. I know there are two sides to every story and I agree with you their silence speaks volume. I'll keep an open mind in the future, but if I were going to be making another lighting modification today, AAC would not be in the competition.
AFCMSGTRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #73
Blues45th

Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
I love it. I actually have made some comments on there oracle acc thread about there video. They actually show a guy in there shop bake a housing then take a flat screw driver scrape the crap out of this housing then even state when hot to reshape your housing then rip apart. I'm sorry just like guys in my club and others on this thread. Wtf why would I bake and scrape and then do it to the point that I. Would have to as they state try and reshape my housings using my hands while hot lol really guys. Is 2012 technology on this site is crazy with engine and car mods and your telling my for 300 I will bake scrape reshape lol. Sorry guys and then to have a club member and see on here that the return policy is how it is with you paying for shipping. Ill say first hand, I'm a u.p.s. driver I pick up returns all the time and all are paid by company not customer. Good biz practice not.... Spread the word everyone so another company selling after market knock offs can close thee doors. This is the exact reason I am on these forums so I can be informed and get informed . So where can I get some scanner bars and engine bay lights and head lights without dealing with AAC. What a scam. Reminds me also stay far far away from carID. They too had same practice when after 2 weeks I wondered where my caliper covers where they told me order placed and would ship that day. Within a hour got email product on back order they told me just like AAC I should call mgp so guess what. I did and to there and my surprise. Order never placed. I wanted a custom color combo so guy said he would know and nothing. When I call back carID they hang up and tell me can't refund my money for 4 days lol yeah right you took it out in 2 seconds. Well with bank calls and calling them number of times and emails my money was returned next business day. Anyone have stories or even AAC b.s. story like so many I have been hearing about. Or other companies to stay away from. Thanks to all for having my back. And I got yours and together we will win against garbage company's and products
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #74
Shazam613

So just to leave a quick update......headlights were signed for by AAC/Daniel last Wednesday. Awaiting word from AAC on what repairs are going to be done. Doubt I hear anything until after the weekend
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #75
BDH

Drives: 2012 1LT-RS
Good luck shaz....hope the vendor steps up to the plate.
BDH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, hid retrofit