Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 11-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #151
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Sorry for the confusion. Here's the back story.

Right before CFest we had an issue with the LLT (broken valve cover and subsequent leak down in two cylinders). Decided to run it anyway and just buy a new motor for a forged build. We suspected it was the tune so we were a bit apprehensive about not being able to at least see the logs going forward. We investigated swapping ECUs and even buying an LFX but it all looked a lot more expensive than just trading the car in. So, we pulled the LLT motor from Gretchen and put the new one we were going to build in her. That car was then traded for the 2012. Before we got to far with this build we wanted to know exactly what failed on the original LLT motor so we could address any weak spots. Here's what we found.

About 1/8th of the ringlands on two cylinders broke off. Because the tolerances are so tight on these motors, they stayed in place and the block/heads look fine. That's the bad news. The good news is that these rods are something else...they should take a lot of punishment. The bearing are also tough -- as much as I put that engine through they look brand new. The crank looks fine as well. These are very well built motors, but the Bosch ECU is not as friendly as we would like.

So the take away is we are ordering some forged pistons and lowering the compression ratio. That will take about two weeks. After that we should be ready to tune. Hopefully we'll have some numbers early December.

Again, sorry for the confusion.
Build Thread

Last edited by GretchenGotGrowl; 01-17-2013 at 05:23 PM.
GretchenGotGrowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #152
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Rock on.....11s here we come.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #153
Tavo32

Drives: LFX LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Turbine View Post
Dang 274. I think I'm going to to need to tune mine now! I got 277 with mods and no tune.
what mods do u have?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #154
MrGood

Drives: Broken palmghetto test car
Send a message via Yahoo to MrGood
I predict you will have much better results with your new tuner.
MrGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #155
fsusmithc2
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2012 1LT/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
VERY impressive! Thanks for the update. Tuned for 93 and full bolts ons I see absolutely no reason why this can't be over 300-310 rwhp!

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Turbine View Post
Dang 274. I think I'm going to to need to tune mine now! I got 277 with mods and no tune.
93 and full bolt-ons and I last checked in at 273 and that's on a Dynojet so I'm betting in the 280 range on a Mustang dyno. Oh yeah and no tune.

Boy do I need a tune. Stat. Question is, will Matt have the "RX" for what ails me? He's a busy man these days it seems like. I need to get in line.

Welcome to Team LFX Gretch! Looking good so far. Can't wait to see the fruits of your labor.
Appearance: Hexis vinyl cf bowties (Headlight Armor) - Oracle ABL interior, grill, and under-hood lighting, P13W plasma DRLs, ghosted sidemarkers - LSR billet strut retainers - 30% tint w/ 5% front strip - Dash plaque and under-hood bowtie by EmblemPros - Custom painted engine and fuse covers - Heritage grill - Gill stripes by Big Worm Graphix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Black paint isn't a hobby, its a career. Get used to it
*How to hug your Camaro*
fsusmithc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #156
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavo32 View Post
what mods do u have?

Corsa cat back, CAI, and a ported throttle body.

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #157
KMPrenger

OK Derrick...its been too long.

Whats happening with your project? Any news?
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #158
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

Swear me and KM are always on the same page lol
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #159
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Waiting on the forged pistons. I wouldn't expect much progress until after Christmas. We hope to be ready to tune it in early January.
Build Thread
Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #160
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Crank is being balanced, new slugs were a bit heavier than the factory's by about 14 grams I believe. THey are pretty.....

Specializing in LS performance and calibrations.
Remote tuning, In-house builds, and Parts. Custom Grind LS and VVT Camshaft packages.
Ryan@gogwatney.com Aaron@gogwatney.com www.Gwatneyperformance.com
Home of THE Fastest Stock Displacement Naturally Aspirated GEN 5! 10.45@133.55
Rhino79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #161
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Waiting on the forged pistons. I wouldn't expect much progress until after Christmas. We hope to be ready to tune it in early January.
Good News....alright...I'll check back in January lol
Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #162
GretchenGotGrowl

Just got an update from Aaron and Ryan. The new pistons are here and they are balancing the rotating assembly today.

We are moving again. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much stuck at work for the next few weeks so I can't be there to take pictures.
Build Thread
Old 12-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #163
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
You are gonna have a beast! Be sure when tuning that when you try to launch the LFX you will have to mess with some tables that are causing the car to bog at launch when you use the brake and rev up
Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #164
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6owner View Post
You are gonna have a beast! Be sure when tuning that when you try to launch the LFX you will have to mess with some tables that are causing the car to bog at launch when you use the brake and rev up
Yeah, that's a weird situation. Was texting Matt the night he was tuning yours on the street. Sounds like he's got it worked out so we'll ping him if we can't figure it out. Ryan was having a similar issue with the stock tune so we expect to run into again with the higher output.

Hey, I guess it would be boring if it was all plug and play.
Build Thread
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #165
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Exciting news!!! Vince has access to one of the tables needed for launch that HPT dosent yet.....drop him a line.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #166
Rhino79

I use efilive, wonder if its in there? If I can get a table description Ill email Ross @ Efilive.

I'll have your shortblock together today, Ill get pics along the way!

Remote tuning, In-house builds, and Parts. Custom Grind LS and VVT Camshaft packages.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #167
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
This is going to be a beast!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #168
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Exciting news!!! Vince has access to one of the tables needed for launch that HPT dosent yet.....drop him a line.

Hmm, may have to email him. Does Matt have the name/description of the table?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
I use efilive, wonder if its in there? If I can get a table description Ill email Ross @ Efilive.

I'll have your shortblock together today, Ill get pics along the way!
Cool! Thanks for all the hard work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6owner View Post
This is going to be a beast!
Hope so. 10:1 CR should help us put the boost to it. Hope we have enough fuel with the ZL1 in-tank pump.
Build Thread

Last edited by GretchenGotGrowl; 12-19-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #169
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Yeah, that's a weird situation. Was texting Matt the night he was tuning yours on the street. Sounds like he's got it worked out so we'll ping him if we can't figure it out. Ryan was having a similar issue with the stock tune so we expect to run into again with the higher output.

Hey, I guess it would be boring if it was all plug and play.

Yep.. Vince has a custom OS to get around it. I was able to get the driver demand torque limitations gone from 6k+, but the brake stall off line and low RPM full throttle stuff no dice. Unfortunately I sent all my files in to HPT and its something that engineering has to look at, we're missing some tq limiter tables at this point. I was hoping EFILive may have it implemented, but I am unsure of that.

I was able to send Vince via excel spreadsheets my entire fuel/spark/idle/pe tables and he used all my values turned around into his custom OS. Problem now is that it cannot be modified because of the OS by any tuning suite but Vince's...
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #170
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Hope so. 10:1 CR should help us put the boost to it. Hope we have enought fuel with the ZL1 in-tank pump.
On the V8's, I've been able to see 550-600rwhp out of this pump without a BAP. I've pushed 650rwhp with the BAP or ADM module w/ ZL1 pump... However, with the lift pump, these things are a beast of their own :P
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #171
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
Yep.. Vince has a custom OS to get around it. I was able to get the driver demand torque limitations gone from 6k+, but the brake stall off line and low RPM full throttle stuff no dice. Unfortunately I sent all my files in to HPT and its something that engineering has to look at, we're missing some tq limiter tables at this point. I was hoping EFILive may have it implemented, but I am unsure of that.

I was able to send Vince via excel spreadsheets my entire fuel/spark/idle/pe tables and he used all my values turned around into his custom OS. Problem now is that it cannot be modified because of the OS by any tuning suite but Vince's...
I'm sure Ryan and Aaron will figure something out. EFILive has been pretty responsive so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
On the V8's, I've been able to see 550-600rwhp out of this pump without a BAP. I've pushed 650rwhp with the BAP or ADM module w/ ZL1 pump... However, with the lift pump, these things are a beast of their own :P
That's what we are hoping. Aaron has tuned quite a few diesel's and thinks the in-tank pump is the bigger limitation at this point. We shall see.
Build Thread
Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #172
Rhino79

Pistons look sweet. Shortblock should be together tomorrow. Filing rings now.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #173
GretchenGotGrowl

Some updates 12-23-2012

First off, decided to name the car Oya. That's the name of an African goddess of the tempest. Seemed fitting since I hope she will be a little tempest with the turbos on her.

Second of all, the pistons and intake box are done and ready to go in the car. Then intake is completely different. We decided to remove one of the cross supports from the front and weld in a chrome/moly tube in it's place. This allowed us to bend the tube down so we could fit this in.

Name:  Intake_Box.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  93.6 KB

It accepts a flat K&N filter the size of the opening you see there. The cover is removable and can be switched so that the opening faces rearward (street use) or forward (track use). It uses Zeus clips so it will only take a minute or two to switch it around.

Next are the pistons. The new ones are forged and have very smooth surfaces to cut down on heat build up.

Name:  Piston_Comparison.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  85.3 KB

The ringlands are significantly improved

Name:  New_Ringlands.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  49.2 KB

and everything that could be beefed up was

Name:  Forged_Piston_1.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  33.2 KB
Name:  Forged_Piston_2.jpg