Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #43
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
I'm proud to have my RX Catch Can!!! The first mod I did after reading and joining Camaro 5 !!!!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #44
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Man look at those valves with only 14,000 , That is really bad, amazing
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #45
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Can you give detailed tech data on the "snake oil" comment? There is so much techincal data, pictures, etc. posted on this site proving otherwise....unless your using one of the cans that let as much through as they catch. Only a couple on the market actually do a good job.

And no, should be very little oil consumption during changes if the engine was broke in correctly (driven hard the first 500 miles) and the rings seated properly.

Do a search on here anyone that wants accurate oil consumption info and the causes/cures.

Hello there again,

You and I "dualed" over this in the maintenance section. Thought we both agreed the V8 didn't need it but maybe the V6 did.

Only reason I don't believe the catch can does what it says or do is the following:

Car mfgs would love to add it, and charge for it if so needed.

Also, my personal mechanic, independent but in a small town and NEEDS the work at times as his biz is feast or famine. He has owned at least 7 Camaros, albeit not a Gen 5 yet. Having stated that, he wouldn't take my money to install a catchcan. I had ordered one from a vendor here on this site, they are out of CO as I remember it, cost over $185 and it was a beauty: machined aluminum that was anodized and dyed blue, gorgeous. My mechanic told me he would install it if I said too, but he felt it worthless. Said he put one in a GMC Yukon for a customer and the guy came back PO'd as there wasn't squat in it and did nothing else performance wise.

So this guy whom I trust and who could have made easy $$$ installing it for me tells me not to bother, well, I trust him.

Now, having said that, he told me to bring him a solid CAI and that he believes in.

Bottom line: my car is fine, running like a champ. I can NOT argue you with anything you state, just saying no catch can for me.

Thanks,
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #46
btf331

Drives: new:2014 BLK 2SS/RS, NPP, Short Thr
Send a message via AIM to btf331 Send a message via Skype™ to btf331
i believe this is how my first engine blew
btf331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 AM   #47
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
What is it with all these motors sucking so much oil back up into the intake? I went through the same thing with Ford Lightnings as they're well known for sucking in a lot of oil back up through the PCV lines into the intake and having tons of fixes out to correct it (catch cans, blocking lines & adding breathers, etc...) My V6 Camaro uses twice as much oil as my Lightning does... Good thing I've learned from others who's blown their motors up from not checking their oil. My uncle blew his motor in a brand new Oldsmobile years back because he never checked the oil and they wouldn't cover it under warranty because of his own negligence to keep up with it. At my work, we're taught to check the oil in every vehicle and piece of machinery before every first start of the day...
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #48
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
I haven't heard much about L99's burning oil, but the AFM motors in the trucks have quite a reputation as oil burners. Just Google "AFM Burning Oil". The rings stick on the 4 AFM cylinders. Since the 5.3 and 6.2 are essentially the same engine, with exactly the same AFM technology, I figure that it's just a matter of time.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #49
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Obviously the scenario is either oil companies have joined GM in a scheme to sell more oil to unsuspecting American's who believe bigger muscles under the hood at all costs is paramount or the issue isn't one of more consumption than acceptable at all.........in that likelihood............the OP's unusally shorter dipstick slipped past quality control length testers.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #50
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
Hello there again,

You and I "dualed" over this in the maintenance section. Thought we both agreed the V8 didn't need it but maybe the V6 did.

Only reason I don't believe the catch can does what it says or do is the following:

Car mfgs would love to add it, and charge for it if so needed.

Also, my personal mechanic, independent but in a small town and NEEDS the work at times as his biz is feast or famine. He has owned at least 7 Camaros, albeit not a Gen 5 yet. Having stated that, he wouldn't take my money to install a catchcan. I had ordered one from a vendor here on this site, they are out of CO as I remember it, cost over $185 and it was a beauty: machined aluminum that was anodized and dyed blue, gorgeous. My mechanic told me he would install it if I said too, but he felt it worthless. Said he put one in a GMC Yukon for a customer and the guy came back PO'd as there wasn't squat in it and did nothing else performance wise.

So this guy whom I trust and who could have made easy $$$ installing it for me tells me not to bother, well, I trust him.

Now, having said that, he told me to bring him a solid CAI and that he believes in.

Bottom line: my car is fine, running like a champ. I can NOT argue you with anything you state, just saying no catch can for me.

Thanks,
As far as the intake valves, yes, top tier fuels will keep them clean unlike the DI motors with no fuel touching them.

But the detonation the oil ingestion causes the PCM to pull timing, thus less HP and less MPG. But long term the picture of the piston shows how the ringlands and rings varnish (gunk) up with deposits and that causes oil consumption as they cant move freely to maintain seal.

MOST cathcans no matter how nice looking visually are pretty useless. Any can (even a beer can will catch oil) but most let as much through as they catch so unless he has tried one of the few designs that do a great job he would not see the benefits. Even big name brands are mostly ineffective.

As for manufacturers installing from the factory, no, even a fraction of a cent can nix a change or feature and then the extra step to drain each oil change the general car buying public shuns from ANY maintanance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
What is it with all these motors sucking so much oil back up into the intake? I went through the same thing with Ford Lightnings as they're well known for sucking in a lot of oil back up through the PCV lines into the intake and having tons of fixes out to correct it (catch cans, blocking lines & adding breathers, etc...) My V6 Camaro uses twice as much oil as my Lightning does... Good thing I've learned from others who's blown their motors up from not checking their oil. My uncle blew his motor in a brand new Oldsmobile years back because he never checked the oil and they wouldn't cover it under warranty because of his own negligence to keep up with it. At my work, we're taught to check the oil in every vehicle and piece of machinery before every first start of the day...
Several reasons, the most obvious is rings not seating properly from following the owners manual break-in procedure, but the PCV system in all modern engines are the issue and then the rings gumming up from the ingestion. We sell these for most every gasoline car & light truck domestic & import.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
I haven't heard much about L99's burning oil, but the AFM motors in the trucks have quite a reputation as oil burners. Just Google "AFM Burning Oil". The rings stick on the 4 AFM cylinders. Since the 5.3 and 6.2 are essentially the same engine, with exactly the same AFM technology, I figure that it's just a matter of time.

Yes, the L99 still has the same issues. But look for posts from those that broke in the motor correctly and most have little to no consumption issues.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #51
Bobaloo
Member "O'l Farts"

Drives: 2012 SS Coupe/Automatic/Sunroof
Broke-in my SS according to the manual and haven't seen a drop used on the dip stick yet (8100 miles). There must be an "excessive oil usage" rate somewhere in the manuafacture's warranty specs. In the 80s & 90s I remember the rate of 1 quart every 500 miles designated as excessive by GM. To me 1 quart every 1000 miles is too much and a teardown is in order. Maybe a gasket put on wrong or a sticking oil retaining ring. At current prices of synthetic oil you don't want to keep refilling the crankcase unnecesarily for the life of the vehicle. Document and stay on this problem with your dealership...........he knows that's excessive!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #52
Viper126

Drives: 2016 2SS, GRed/Blk MT6, NPP, MRC
[QUOTE=The Blue Ox;5798789]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper126 View Post
I realize this is an old post but thought I would chime in. I recently purchased an Imperial Blue 2010 RS/LT2 with 6 speed manual. 6300 miles on the car at purchase and I ran it to 11800 when I began hearing tapping. Checked the oil to find out I was 3 quarts low. It's at the dealer now beign torn down to determine if they will repair or replace. I was told by the service dept that 1qt per 2000 miles is normal. Had I realized that at the get go I could have avoided the breakdown. I doubt many people think you need to replace the engine at a second oil change. I realize 5000 miles may be a bit more but all my miles are highway. I don't baby it but also don't beat on it.

1 qt per 2,000 sounds crazy to me! IMO deffinately sounds like something wrong with that motor! I had a 2005 Monte Carlo that drank oil too! I asked the dealer about it and they said 1 qt per 3,000 was normal! It ran good and kept it for 5 yrs and 80,000 miles! Now we have the Camaro and no more oil chugging! Hope everything goes well for you and you get it staightend out!

Update to my post.
After breaking down the engine the dealer found a worn bearing and a rod needing replacement. SOP was to repair the engine. After questioning the local dealership, they all agreed had this been their personal car a replacement engine would have been the only agreeable resolution. The Shop manager pushed the District Manager and I pushed the CS reps at GM help line. GM agreed to replace the engine. Yesterday the engine was installed and all the fine tuning to fit a 2012 into my 2010 were completed today. I should have the car back on Friday. The team at Jeff D'ambrosio Chevrolet has done an excellent job at maintaining Excellent customer service. I can't say how pleased I am with the outcome. I'll be even happier when I can drive my car again! I will update again after break-in is complete and I can perform a OCT. I completely disagree that anymore than a quart of oil over 5-6k highway miles is acceptable. Time will tell and I'll report back.
Attached Images

Viper126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #53
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Excellent news!!!! Now break it in the way you think is best and then report back on oil consumption.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote