Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Wheels / Tires

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #71
rare991

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. if you want the cheaper wheels then go for it...... put dont get mad when the quality isn't what you expected.
rare991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #72
mgaspari

Drives: Camaro rs 2lt IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare991 View Post
I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. if you want the cheaper wheels then go for it...... put dont get mad when the quality isn't what you expected.
+1000
mgaspari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #73
BiGDaWgZ

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgaspari View Post
+1000

I believe in that same motto...to a certain degree.

BUT...to better explain my point of view...I'll use something as simple as clothing....as an example.

There are ALOT of price differences in clothing.

Some of the cheapest are just that...cheap jeans, shirts, shoes..etc.....and you can spot that by looking at the way that they're made, stitched and the materials used.

But..there are quality shirts, shoes and jeans at a much lower price point than what some of these other "Designer" brands cost....too.

You won't find me buying $250+ blue jeans or $200+ T Shirts or $500+ tennis shoes...because there are very high quality examples of all of these items at a fraction of the cost of some of the high dollar "Brand" named items.

So I'm going to buy the ones that are quality made and sold at a reasonable price point.

If there are true quality differences that can be stated and shown WITH EVIDENCE to back those claims up.....well then I'd be open to such a large price difference..

When I think of ACTUAL quality differences, I think of things like one wheel is Forged while the other is Cast.....or one wheel has poor machining/casting marks on it...balance issues, fitment issues, finish issues......etc.

I don't see any of these types of differences in the posted pictures of both examples.

I'd like to see more facts...with actual proof...substantiating the reasons why these wheels costs nearly double what the others are going to be priced at....not just a blind statement about quality.

I know that nobody owes me an explanation for anything...but if statements are going to be made about inferior build quality or material quality or finishes...I'd like to see them backed up with something other than words.

2010 2SS/RS-6spd Manual-12k Miles-Blown-Injected-Fueled-Dropped & more

Last edited by BiGDaWgZ; 12-08-2012 at 12:40 PM.
BiGDaWgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #74
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
^^^^ This *AND* what you stated BiGDaWgZ. I'm by no means an rim expert first and formost. I bought a set of American Racing Torq Thrust M rims for my Camaro in the spring. I looked at a lot of rims before I decided on what ones I wanted. It seemed that the range of $1200-$1600 was where you would get a well made set of rims for a decent price. Price and quality met, so to speak. The GM ZL1 rims can be bought "as new take offs" for $2500-$2700.....awesome rims, but more than I want to pay. LG & Ivan teamed up to offer a set for $1695 (or $1595 if you were smart and got in early ). These are in the good quality/good price range and about half the price of "real" ZL1 rims.

I was excited, VERY EXCITED when I read Factory Repo offering a line of ZL1 rims, especially the machined/black rim (I think that would be over the top on my IOM Camaro ). But as bizarre as it sounds, when I saw the price, red flags went up big time. How could these be offered for "so cheap" when soooo many other rim manufacturers wares start at $1200+. Trust me, I am one cheap SOB and I don't EVER throw my money around, but there's this weird feeling that cheaper rims won't be cheaper in the long run.

Ivan....since you seem to be the PR person for the LG ZL1 rims.....is it a possible future offering to have the rims in a machined/black face? Like the 2011 Sema Hot Wheels Camaro? I would sleep in the garage for 6 months to have a set .

Whew....I'm getting another coffee
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #75
IBMcamaroIBM

Drives: IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
I was excited, VERY EXCITED when I read Factory Repo offering a line of ZL1 rims, especially the machined/black rim (I think that would be over the top on my IOM Camaro ). But as bizarre as it sounds, when I saw the price, red flags went up big time. How could these be offered for "so cheap" when soooo many other rim manufacturers wares start at $1200+. Trust me, I am one cheap SOB and I don't EVER throw my money around, but there's this weird feeling that cheaper rims won't be cheaper in the long run.
Thank you! THIS RIGHT HERE.
IBMcamaroIBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #76
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ABM Camaro A6
I forget if it's been asked/answered, but can we get these all black with the ZR28 part black too? Or is that red? Cause I don't have any red on my car and it'll throw off my color scheme.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #77
BiGDaWgZ

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
I felt that this version of the ZL1 repro wheels was a bit too expensive (IMO) to begin with, but I understood it, because they were going to be the ONLY option to the OE ZL1 split spoked wheels.

Therefore they could pretty much name their pricing (as long as it was cheaper than the OE's).

It's the same for ANY item, when going to the marketplace.

If you're the only one available, and it's a HIGHLY desirable item, you can name your price (within reason).

OF course that all changes, though, when other mfr's come into the mix (offering pretty much the same thing for much less $) and I feel that they're going to have to look at that now.

If there truly is a quality difference that can be proven or if they offer a proven performance gain such as weight savings, strength, etc.

Then the higher priced versions may still do pretty well.

But here in a few months...if dozens and dozens of guys start posting pics of their cars with the other wheels on them (that cost 1/2 as much) and they look great and they aren't having quality issues, well, we all know what will happen if that is the case.

Either way, I don't want to keep harping on this.

I just think that it's very hard for any of us to be deciding that one version is higher quality than the other version, simply because of their pricing, especially when NONE of us have them in hand to compare.

I'm just going strictly off of the pictures of each of the wheels and their prices.

Either way, it seems, there's going to DEFINITELY be a cheaper choice for those of us who are wanting that ZL1 split spoke look and fitment !

2010 2SS/RS-6spd Manual-12k Miles-Blown-Injected-Fueled-Dropped & more
BiGDaWgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #78
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGDaWgZ View Post
I felt that this version of the ZL1 repro wheels was a bit too expensive (IMO) to begin with, but I understood it, because they were going to be the ONLY option to the OE ZL1 split spoked wheels.

Therefore they could pretty much name their pricing (as long as it was cheaper than the OE's).

If you're the only one available, and it's a HIGHLY desirable item, you can name your price (within reason).

OF course that all changes, though, when other mfr's come into the mix (offering pretty much the same thing for much less $) and I feel that they're going to have to look at that now.

If there truly is a quality difference that can be proven or if they offer a proven performance gain such as weight savings, strength, etc.

But here in a few months...if dozens and dozens of guys start posting pics of their cars with the other wheels on them (that cost 1/2 as much) and they look great and they aren't having quality issues, well, we all know what will happen if that is the case.

I just think that it's very hard for any of us to be deciding that one version is higher quality than the other version, simply because of their pricing, especially when NONE of us have them in hand to compare.

I'm just going strictly off of the pictures of each of the wheels and their prices.

Either way, it seems, there's going to DEFINITELY be a cheaper choice for those of us who are wanting that ZL1 split spoke look and fitment !
i agree. and we are talking about a $700 difference too. that extra money has to be justified. you can almost get 2 sets
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #79
rare991

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:

buy the wheels that you feel are the better deal. let me know how things turn out!
rare991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #80
Skylane765
Splitter washers, jack pd

Drives: 14 Z/28, Challenger Hellcat, C7ZO6
How much are the 20x11 going to be?
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #81
Midwest

Drives: 2ss/rs
Quote:
True...but early reports are that the other wheel weighs within 1 pound or so...of the original FORGED GM wheel...so I'm guessing they're either pressure cast or rotary forged to be that light.

If this wheel can beat that weight...then I'd understand that as a point..but if not....

As to people commenting on where the wheels are made...alot..if not MOST..... FACTORY wheels are being made in CHINA now...

I guess I might be a "Certain Demographic" type of customer (sounds almost condecending)...because I want a wheel that looks like the ZL1 wheel...for the best price??

Co-sign

From 1lt to 2ss/rs.
Midwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #82
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
in there first post about these rims they state this

This will be a "Pressure Cast" wheel to reduce on costs.
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #83
mgaspari

Drives: Camaro rs 2lt IBM
another day..... and no update, this is upseting. The last monday/tuesday timeframe is probably going to be this weeks monday/tuesday time frame :/ .
Step1: take out phone
Step2: open app for pictures
Step3: take 5 pictures
Step4: go to nearest computer/or use smart phone
Step5: go on camaro5.com
Step6: go on this thread
Step7: upload pictures
Step8: enjoy all the positive feedback on these awesome wheels!
(was just a joke) not trying to be a jerk, just messing around
mgaspari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #84
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: '10 Camaro SS and 2LT
While I agree with alot of the statements regarding the price diff and so on... I still believe whichever wheel hits the market first will be the money maker.

Now, with it only being 3 weeks from the new year, and the original ship date for these wheels... I don't see that happening.... not even close. I'm not saying that it's impossible by any means, but with the amount of time that is being consumed to produce a prototype and get it powder coated, these delays will put them matched up with a shipping time of about the same as Factory Repro.

Then.... thats where one has to ask himself... what can I do with 700.00? I don't know about anyone else on here... but 700.00 will do alot for me. This isn't to bash LG or Ivan.. but it's what I'm thinking. If it were 250 or 300 diff in price... I probably wouldn't even consider the other wheels... but 700... thats different.

If I were involved in this deal.... Don't think I wouldn't be standing on someones desk getting these wheels on shipping trucks.

Just my .02 cent.
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote