Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro forum, news, rumors, discussions

Old 12-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #26
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '11 1LT/RS M6 CGM
Yet they import the E-body Caprice from Autralia...
Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #27
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The shift is likely to occur within a few years.
They need to hurry up unless they're going to delay the next gen. Few usually means 3, maybe 4. The '15s, if it's the next gen and falls in line with regular production schedules, should be in production in about 1.6 years.

More info needed on this one.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 96 S-10 LS
They may also be anticipating a higher demand for the Impala and will want to increase the capacity for its production in Oshawa. Or they did say at one time eventually the SS would be built over here instead of importing it from Australia.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #29
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '14 Malibu LTZ
I'm kinda partial to Oshawa builds. My last four vehicles were born there--Camaro, 2 Impalas, and a Grand Prix. All were (are) outstanding quality! Quality is a "learned" process and can be transferred. Hope GM keeps Oshawa at the forefront.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #30
Ajax Inferno

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS & 2011 Cruze LS+
I'm sad to see the move of Camaro out of Oshawa. I live a couple kilometers from the plant. it was awesome to drive by the lot where the cars are parked waiting to have the stripes applied... see some of the first production runs of the ZL1 drive by. When I drive by in my SS there's a lot of pride!

There are valid and logical reasons for the move into the US. Though I'm sure many Canadian workers here feel it's just the same old "American Jobs Now" mentality of the corporation. I'm hopeful the incoming product lines into Oshawa will keep the workers going here. We need the jobs as much as anyone else.

I'm happy to see the US workers getting the needed jobs as well, believe me. We all need it!! I'm sure the workers will put as much pride into the 6th Gen Camaro coming up as the workers in Oshawa have with the 5th generation. I've talked to several and they are beaming with pride.

Heck my 2011 Cruze is made in OH and I can't say anything bad about my daily driver. It rocks too!

So please ladies and gentlemen, no bashing or bragging as I've seen in prior posts.... Camaro is and continues to be a fantastic car, no mater where it's made.... it's made with pride!
Ajax Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #31
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
I'm a Canadian and I regret this decision. I'm proud to own a Canadian built Camaro. I visited the plant in 2011 and we felt that the empoyes where very proud of their plant. But as the economy changes all of the time, I can't be against that. As long as they keep the Oshawa plant live, their role is to build cars. GM closed Ste-Therese Camaro-Firebird plant in 2002 and we lost thousands of jobs because of that closing and our Quebec economy suffered from that decision. The plant land is now a huge shopping center, but it does'nt generate the same amount of $$$ in our economy. Goverments saved GM from a bankruptcy with our taxes, I would have prefered that my taxes would have stayed in Canada. Buy Amerian,,,,,
Old 12-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #32
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
damn, that really sucks! I am really proud that the Camaro has been made in Oshawa for the run of the 5th gen, and was just talking to my friend the other day about going to the plant to se my 6th gen made when they are released and mine was ordered. This is probably going to destroy oshawa, as it looks like the Camaro is the leading car made here, and by the looks of the lots when theya re full, they are probably 70% camaros at any given time. damn, this is a nut shot to oshawa! :(

SYOTOS Dad! Lost, but never forgotten.
Brian Van Heugten Sr. January 11 1962 - September 16 2012
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #33
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
and the old Oshawa truck plant... took away the sierra from us, and now it's a costco... what next?

SYOTOS Dad! Lost, but never forgotten.
Brian Van Heugten Sr. January 11 1962 - September 16 2012
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #34
MyIBMssRS

Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/12 RAV4
About time. I'm tired of hearing those overpaid Oshawa workers act like they're so high and mighty for watching machines build our cars. Oh, please give me a poster with some union workers name on it because they watched a machine tighten my lug nuts.

Can't wait to buy my American made 50th anniversary 2017 Gen 6.
MyIBMssRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #35
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIBMssRS View Post
About time. I'm tired of hearing those overpaid Oshawa workers act like they're so high and mighty for watching machines build our cars. Oh, please give me a poster with some union workers name on it because they watched a machine tighten my lug nuts.

I'm going to take a stab and guess you posted this with something other than a pre GUI OS system.

The sole purpose of that GUI is to make it easier. You can do many of the same functions without it. Same as building cars.

To each their own.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #36
Verbolten

Drives: someday a convertible
American workers are underpaid ????
Verbolten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #37
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
YES! Right around the corner from me!!
Oshawa did an OUTSTANDING job and I have no doubt they will continue.
Like it said it is a consolidation where the RWD Cadillac and Camaro will be built.
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #38
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
As a Canadian this hurts... but at least it's not going to Mexico, although geographically it's now a little bit closer.
I know our American cousins can build just as good of a product and I wonder if this will improve sales in the states. Do people overlook an American pony car because it's built in Canada? Based on sales you wouldn't think so but they'll definitely be able to use this as an advertising tool to their biggest market.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #39
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Thoughts shared with us straight from John Fitzpatrick, and Al Oppenheiser from the Camaro Team:
Added to the OP

Quote:
Today, GM announced that production of the next-generation Camaro will move from Oshawa Assembly to Lansing, Mich. This will inevitably raise some questions and speculation about what the announcement means for the future of Camaro.

For now, we can tell you that it does mean Chevrolet is committed to the Camaro, and we are already planning for the arrival of the sixth-generation car. It does not mean we are ready to announce the timing of the next-generation, or to confirm any details about a future Camaro.

Introduced as a 2010 model year, the fifth-generation Camaro still continues to be a success thanks to fans like you -- and we are not done yet. This year alone, we launched the Camaro ZL1 coupe and convertible, the Camaro 1LE, and introduced the Camaro Hot Wheels edition. We still have more news to come, and expect the fifth-generation Camaro, built by the team in Oshawa, will continue to bring new people to the Camaro community.

Thanks for your support, and we look forward to sharing more Camaro news with you in the future.

Al Oppenheiser
Camaro Chief Engineer

John Fitzpatrick
Camaro Marketing Manager
Don't think of this as "good news" or "bad news"...rather...a change. According to the GM press release: A simple matter of a good business case for consolidating common cars for ease and cost of production!

Bottom line, IMO...1) we've still got years before this had any effect on us at all, and 2) GM & Chevy is "committed to Camaro"...but hey - it does feel good to know that Camaro will be built once more, after a loooong time, in the United States.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #40
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity149 View Post
damn, that really sucks! I am really proud that the Camaro has been made in Oshawa for the run of the 5th gen, and was just talking to my friend the other day about going to the plant to se my 6th gen made when they are released and mine was ordered. This is probably going to destroy oshawa, as it looks like the Camaro is the leading car made here, and by the looks of the lots when theya re full, they are probably 70% camaros at any given time. damn, this is a nut shot to oshawa! :(
Oshawa will be fine. They build far more other cars than Camaros...and are apparently, destined to get some more.

They're not done, yet...and I'm certainly not saying goodbye so soon - they're doing GREAT!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #41
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
It's not like they won't be welcome at any future Camaro meets

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #42
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Actually, this makes a lot of sense since the ATS is produced at Grand River. My guess is GM will expand production of another vehicle at Oshawa. They do excellent workthere.

Last edited by greenrail; 12-20-2012 at 08:51 AM.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #43
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: 2010
It said in the post that they are not doing away with the plant the camaro will not be made there the 6th gen
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #44
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIBMssRS View Post

LOL because it will be sooo different here in Merica where we dont have unions or an undeserved sense of entitlement....oh wait...
Old 12-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #45
LAWMAN

Drives: 2010 cam.2ss/rs.iom,07'escalade esv
i feel like some others on here,i think it is due to the new alpha platform,i too am proud of mine that was built in Canada
1100:12/19/08
3800:06/19/09
6000:07/02/09
LAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #46
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Much respect goes out to the Oshawa plant for the outstanding job they do every day... I have a Camaro that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

As for the 6th Gen Camaro to now be built back int U.S. :flag1:

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #47
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro LFX
Condolences to those in Canada as I'm sure it's a loss of something everyone there was proud of, but admittedly I'm very excited at the news. I've always dreamed about touring the Camaro plant and seeing the Camaros go down the line but because it was in Canada that was never an option (darn borders!). I look forward to the production moving to Lansing but I will say that I hope the outstanding pride, commitment, and passion for the Camaro that the Oshawa team has shown will be passed on to the Lansing team when the next-gen Camaro production begins.

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #48
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '09 V8 SRX RWD
The confirms it! 100% Alpha.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #49
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Not sure how I feel about this. I feel bad for Oshawa because I feel it's a great source of pride for them. Not that they don't take pride in the other cars they build but the Camaro is special. I know I would love to be the guy that could point to one and say "I put the fenders on that." or "I installed that cars dash." They've done a great job over the years and have been very close to our community.

It does however make more sense for GM to consolidate the cars that are using the alpha platform all under one roof and I know SOME people out there would much rather have it be made in the USA.

I'm proud of my Canada Camaro. Even if it does have a strange way of steering me towards hockey rinks and changes the radio to play clips of the Red Green show on it's own.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #50
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '09 V8 SRX RWD
current cts is sigma. ats is alpha. 2014 cts will be alpha. this makes sense.
keep in mind that lansing used to make cts, sts and srx(all sigma) they need to beuild 3 cars there.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote