Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #51
RollaMo

Drives: 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
They can't make a convertible that works, what makes anyone think they could do T tops right?
Ours works just fine.
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #52
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
It would be an engineering nightmare to offer it as an option from the factory.

First, the internal safety cage in the roof rails would be removed, as well as your curtain airbags. Thereby reducing side impact and roll over protection, and not passing federally mandated side impact regulations. I suppose someone could design a t-top panel with an internal steel bar to complete the safety cage when it's installed, but you'd still be missing the curtain airbag.

To offer it as an option would mean GM would have to design two different roof structures and different hardware and software for the ECM (with and without airbags).

There's a LOT more to car design than there was when the last 2002 F-body with t-tops rolled of the line. Most of you have no idea.

Having it done aftermarket is one thing, but as an option by GM, it will never happen again. Your options are sunroof or convertible.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #53
v8

Drives: GT500 and 14 ZL1
I would have preferred t tops but I agree with post above so hence I have a vert, not perfect but it does put a smile on my face
v8 is offline   Reply With Quote