Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Exterior Parts & Accessories

Exterior Parts & Accessories All exterior parts and accessories.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #201
ACS Composite

 
ACS Composite's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,138
It is a primer we apply on it as a post operations.

Smooth parts are most aftermarket parts that are made using an in-mold gelcoat. Looks great when you open the box, but mostly used to hide potential issues in the Fiberglass.

Here is some info on our process

http://acscomposite.wordpress.com/20...anything-else/

We RTM Mold each panel, no gelcoat. Inspect each panel so we can see the substrate. Then sand, prime, block and re-prime once again.

My susgestion is to simply final sand the part using a small block. Just dont break trhough our primer, otherwise you'll need to re-prime it. You can start with a quick 200 grit sand paper to break the orange peal, and work your way up to a 800 grit finish, or what ever specs your paint is calling for.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Looks like a slight texture not sure if its the piece or just the primer. It may sand down smooth... No real biggie if your painting it a flat or matte blach.
ACS Composite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #202
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 96 S-10 LS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 16,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS Composite View Post
It is a primer we apply on it as a post operations.

Smooth parts are most aftermarket parts that are made using an in-mold gelcoat. Looks great when you open the box, but mostly used to hide potential issues in the Fiberglass.

Here is some info on our process

http://acscomposite.wordpress.com/20...anything-else/

We RTM Mold each panel, no gelcoat. Inspect each panel so we can see the substrate. Then sand, prime, block and re-prime once again.

My susgestion is to simply final sand the part using a small block. Just dont break trhough our primer, otherwise you'll need to re-prime it. You can start with a quick 200 grit sand paper to break the orange peal, and work your way up to a 800 grit finish, or what ever specs your paint is calling for.
Good to know, thanks.
Mine is supposed to be here Friday, weather says snow...:(
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #203
mgaspari

 
mgaspari's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro rs 2lt IBM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 903
Has anyone painted anything Satin black before? not matte, satin. If anyone has, could you recommend anything, tips, paint, etc. i want satin because it still has a little shine to it.
mgaspari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #204
ACS Composite

 
ACS Composite's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,138
Make sure you have control over dust, Satin Paint can get tricky, and only because you can't wet sand and buff it to remove dust particles.

Other than prepping the part, Satin Paint is applied the same way as regular paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgaspari View Post
Has anyone painted anything Satin black before? not matte, satin. If anyone has, could you recommend anything, tips, paint, etc. i want satin because it still has a little shine to it.
ACS Composite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #205
SSMKNU2
 
SSMKNU2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central IL
Posts: 719
Subscribed. I'd love to see a DIY for this. Plan on doing this to my hood come spring.
__________________
SSMKNU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #206
mgaspari

 
mgaspari's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro rs 2lt IBM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS Composite View Post
Make sure you have control over dust, Satin Paint can get tricky, and only because you can't wet sand and buff it to remove dust particles.

Other than prepping the part, Satin Paint is applied the same way as regular paint.
any paint recommendation?
mgaspari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #207
ACS Composite

 
ACS Composite's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,138
Simply follow the instructions from the paint manufacturer.

All you need to know is the part you have has a coat of automotive primer on it.

There are no "silicone or demolding agents" you can find on other aftermarket parts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mgaspari View Post
any paint recommendation?
ACS Composite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #208
mgaspari

 
mgaspari's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro rs 2lt IBM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS Composite View Post
Simply follow the instructions from the paint manufacturer.

All you need to know is the part you have has a coat of automotive primer on it.

There are no "silicone or demolding agents" you can find on other aftermarket parts.
got it, but i mean like brand or something, not really to savvy with paint.. im going to practice with it before i do my insert.
mgaspari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #209
bitinas
 
bitinas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 camaro 2LT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Roselle, il
Posts: 90
does anyone know how much can i expect to pay for painting and installation at a body shop? approximately?
bitinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #210
01pewterz28
Camaro Junkie
 
01pewterz28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS,Born 9/14/09 @ 11:50:57
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ocoee, FL
Posts: 6,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitinas View Post
does anyone know how much can i expect to pay for painting and installation at a body shop? approximately?
Honestly $100-$150 to paint the install they are going to hit you for $300-$600
__________________
2010 2LT/RS, 2001 Z/28, 2014 Malibu LT
01pewterz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #211
OKCwhiteKnight
 
OKCwhiteKnight's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro 2007 HHR Panel
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 695
Looks good out of the box,just not really test fitted until you cut your hood and lay it in there.Just kind of worried there could be a gap somewhere on the side between insert and hood.How flexible is it? It has to match curvature of hood back to front.Sorry,not trying to be a downer,just saying,hate to pay $6oo,cut my hood.Then get a poor fit and have to wait for a replacement.
OKCwhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #212
01pewterz28
Camaro Junkie
 
01pewterz28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS,Born 9/14/09 @ 11:50:57
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ocoee, FL
Posts: 6,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCwhiteKnight View Post
Looks good out of the box,just not really test fitted until you cut your hood and lay it in there.Just kind of worried there could be a gap somewhere on the side between insert and hood.How flexible is it? It has to match curvature of hood back to front.Sorry,not trying to be a downer,just saying,hate to pay $6oo,cut my hood.Then get a poor fit and have to wait for a replacement.
From the photos ACS posted back on page 2 or 3 looks like a 100% perfect fit.
__________________
2010 2LT/RS, 2001 Z/28, 2014 Malibu LT
01pewterz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #213
C-redfly
 
C-redfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 completely Red Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
From the photos ACS posted back on page 2 or 3 looks like a 100% perfect fit.
👆
Yea that
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #214
mgaspari

 
mgaspari's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro rs 2lt IBM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 903
hey acs, did you get back your inserts from the painter? just curious to see how they came out.
mgaspari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #215
OKCwhiteKnight
 
OKCwhiteKnight's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro 2007 HHR Panel
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
From the photos ACS posted back on page 2 or 3 looks like a 100% perfect fit.
Like they would show them not fitting 100% perfect. Of course I hope and expect they will,but still going to ask questions.Looking forward to these installs.
What color are you guys going with? Black,body color or hydrodipped?
OKCwhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #216
C-redfly
 
C-redfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 completely Red Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 685
It looks amazing. Im Curious how it would look with a few coats of clear on top of this primer finish. Is that even possible?
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356055910.861911.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  185.5 KB
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #217
C-redfly
 
C-redfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 completely Red Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCwhiteKnight View Post
Like they would show them not fitting 100% perfect. Of course I hope and expect they will,but still going to ask questions.Looking forward to these installs.
What color are you guys going with? Black,body color or hydrodipped?
I'm getting a satin black finish
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #218
mgaspari

 
mgaspari's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro rs 2lt IBM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-redfly View Post
It looks amazing. Im Curious how it would look with a few coats of clear on top of this primer finish. Is that even possible?
Attachment 454448
it does .. i hate seeing it right now though because its not on my car. I dont have time till the weekend or maybe even the following weekend :(
mgaspari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #219
C-redfly
 
C-redfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 completely Red Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgaspari View Post
it does .. i hate seeing it right now though because its not on my car. I dont have time till the weekend or maybe even the following weekend :(
Yea Thats gotta drive you nuts. Can't wait to see it on your car as well. I was picturing it on my hood when I was waxing the car lastnight
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #220
01pewterz28
Camaro Junkie
 
01pewterz28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS,Born 9/14/09 @ 11:50:57
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ocoee, FL
Posts: 6,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-redfly View Post
Yea Thats gotta drive you nuts. Can't wait to see it on your car as well. I was picturing it on my hood when I was waxing the car lastnight
I am with ya hell I want to fly up to PA and help him install it so I can see what it looks like on the car. I will have to wait until next weekend to do mine.
__________________
2010 2LT/RS, 2001 Z/28, 2014 Malibu LT
01pewterz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #221
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 96 S-10 LS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 16,442
Mine was just dropped off I took it out of the box but didn't unwrap it yet. mainly because this is what I woke up to this morning......

Update:
I couldn't stand it so I went and unwrapped it. It looks great. I can't wait to get it painted and put on the car.
Thanks ACS for the Camaro Now magazine. My wife tried to take it away from me before I could look at it, she's afraid I will get more ideas...
Attached Images
  
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-21-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #222
C-redfly
 
C-redfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 completely Red Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Mine was just dropped off I took it out of the box but didn't unwrap it yet. mainly because this is what I woke up to this morning......
I just noticed you have a vert. Nice👍
The insert will look great on that vr vert
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #223
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 96 S-10 LS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 16,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-redfly View Post
I just noticed you have a vert. Nice👍
The insert will look great on that vr vert
Thanks, we love the car.. I have bought too much for it this month. I just ordered the 4 gauge pack yesterday.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #224
C-redfly
 
C-redfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 completely Red Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Thanks, we love the car.. I have bought too much for it this month. I just ordered the 4 gauge pack yesterday.
Sounds like you deserve it, after all it is the holiday season.
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #225
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 96 S-10 LS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 16,442
I have a Question for ACS or anyone that has received thir insert.
Does yours have this stepdown on the back edge of the insert as seen in this picture? I was wondering it that was right and if I will have to trim that to get it to fit flush with the hood.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
acs, acs composite, ss hood ports, tl1, zl1 hood insert

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.