Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #51
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal SS View Post
I think it may have happened something like this:

Some time ago, the ZL1 was actually gonna be called the Z28, (as evidenced by some ZL1 parts being stamped with the Z28 name). Then, something (unknown to us) happened in the upper echelon of GM, and it was decided to be called the ZL1 instead. In the meantime, the Z28 name was then secured, but pushed back to re-appear later, and my guess it will be in a 6th gen.

Your thoughts?
My thought? Either you know Carnac, are psychic, or have been reading the threads for some time....
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #52
Mikes SS

 
Mikes SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 920
ha ha ha!!
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #53
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013
 
sycraft's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 2,721
Z28= 427 engine option, just saying that would be sweet!
__________________

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #54
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
Z28= 427 engine option, just saying that would be sweet!
Yes, that would be. Perhaps that's mainstream logic. What if it were a HP DI next gen motor?
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #55
Galaxy_Stranger
 
Drives: '97 Firebird
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 128
I was thinking about this yet again on the road back home today.

It would seem that a 427 Z/28 would be likely at this point, given the "leaked" info on the 2014 models. The engine plus a suspension upgrade makes sense.

But what occurred to me is this:
COPO = Pro Drag
ZL1 = Street/Amateur/Enthusiast Drag
Z/28 = Pro Track Racing
SS 1LE = Street/Amateur/Enthusiast Track Racing

This makes sense to me and would match speculated price points. Having a naturally aspirated LS7 also makes sense to me for track racing. But the 1LE may also be a test bed for the Z/28 suspension and may disappear for 6th gen.
Galaxy_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #56
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy_Stranger View Post
I was thinking about this yet again on the road back home today.

It would seem that a 427 Z/28 would be likely at this point, given the "leaked" info on the 2014 models. The engine plus a suspension upgrade makes sense.

But what occurred to me is this:
COPO = Pro Drag
ZL1 = Street/Amateur/Enthusiast Drag
Z/28 = Pro Track Racing
SS 1LE = Street/Amateur/Enthusiast Track Racing

This makes sense to me and would match speculated price points. Having a naturally aspirated LS7 also makes sense to me for track racing. But the 1LE may also be a test bed for the Z/28 suspension and may disappear for 6th gen.
...all good thoughts. Here's what I'm thinkin'...If the Z is made in 2014, and...I say again if it is, it will not have any designed intention beyond that of a track car to intentionally minor as a drag car. To carry the Z badge, it would have to be well thought out and designed to it's track racing heritage. The name is hallowed, as Scott said. We know there are no real weight savings to be gleaned on this Holden chasis. As much as we clammored for a LS7 in the current body form I do believe we have a better than even shot to get it before the next Gen arrives. Will it be the Z/28? I think not. A limited special edition 427 CID LS7 powered stick shift collector car, with a Pedders, ZL1, and 1LE blend of items? Perhaps...with a name only GM's marketing team knows. I genuinely believe the Z/28 will be introduced with the next Gen and DI.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #57
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,026
If the LS7 is put in a 5Gen it WILL be a Z28.

With the 1LE being so capable, adding the LS7, better brakes and such, it WILL be the best Z28 ever. It will kick butt against Porsches, AMGs and other very expensive and capable cars.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #58
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...all good thoughts. Here's what I'm thinkin'...If the Z is made in 2014, and...I say again if it is, it will not have any designed intention beyond that of a track car to intentionally minor as a drag car. To carry the Z badge, it would have to be well thought out and designed to it's track racing heritage. The name is hallowed, as Scott said. We know there are no real weight savings to be gleaned on this Holden chasis. As much as we clammored for a LS7 in the current body form I do believe we have a better than even shot to get it before the next Gen arrives. Will it be the Z/28? I think not. A limited special edition 427 CID LS7 powered stick shift collector car, with a Pedders, ZL1, and 1LE blend of items? Perhaps...with a name only GM's marketing team knows. I genuinely believe the Z/28 will be introduced with the next Gen and DI.
Would you be disappointed if the possible LS7 Camaro is called a Z28 or do you just think they are saving it for the sixth gen? It looks like they're giving a lot of Camaro fans what they're asking for. To me an LS7 Camaro is definitely worthy of the name. It doesn't need wings and an afterburner. A 2025 Camaro should definitely have the technology worthy of the name but why wait? I thought the general consensus around here was that the 1LE was pretty close but just missing a few ingredients. Looks like we will be getting them.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #59
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Would you be disappointed if the possible LS7 Camaro is called a Z28 or do you just think they are saving it for the sixth gen? It looks like they're giving a lot of Camaro fans what they're asking for. To me an LS7 Camaro is definitely worthy of the name. It doesn't need wings and an afterburner. A 2025 Camaro should definitely have the technology worthy of the name but why wait? I thought the general consensus around here was that the 1LE was pretty close but just missing a few ingredients. Looks like we will be getting them.
I for one think the 1LE was close, but needed just a little more and the most important of that little more IMO is the LS7. Yes there are other 1LE things that could be a little better also, but I think a better engine is the key.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #60
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
If the LS7 is put in a 5Gen it WILL be a Z28.

With the 1LE being so capable, adding the LS7, better brakes and such, it WILL be the best Z28 ever. It will kick butt against Porsches, AMGs and other very expensive and capable cars.
...and there you have it...anyone, place your bets....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Would you be disappointed if the possible LS7 Camaro is called a Z28 or do you just think they are saving it for the sixth gen? It looks like they're giving a lot of Camaro fans what they're asking for. To me an LS7 Camaro is definitely worthy of the name. It doesn't need wings and an afterburner. A 2025 Camaro should definitely have the technology worthy of the name but why wait? I thought the general consensus around here was that the 1LE was pretty close but just missing a few ingredients. Looks like we will be getting them.
...good points, first, we are not sure they will actually do a LS7 Camaro are we? Second, looking out at 2025 is a bit far off for now, and waiting until then for the Z/28 reappearance will not be an issue, as I and you are sure it will come to fruition before that time would you not agree? Just because we, as a tiny minority group within a larger group of Camaro enthusiasts here at C5, who are even a smaller group than the sum total of the Camaro consumer market out there wish for a LS7 Z/28 does not automaticaly mean GM will produce this model, does it? I want it like yourself, but, my gut tells me otherwise, just my O2. I would like to end with I have been known to be wrong before, usually on a daily basis....
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #61
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 4,328
That's where the 5th gen being the only generation without a Z28 argument comes in. Agree that they wouldn't wait past the sixth gen for a Z28. They built an LS7 concept so we haven't been the only ones thinking about it and we have seen quite a few concepts make production. We know they wanted to use the Z28 name and changed their mind at the last minute. It probably was mostly because they felt the ZL1 didn't deserve it. It also could have been that they were saving it for another 5th gen car or the sixth gen like you were saying. They most likely didn't have the 2014-2015 model year already planned out back in 2007-2008. They knew the fifth gen would be successful but in reality bankruptcy dictated how far they could go and how many different models they could bring us. In my opinion somewhere along the line the LS7 idea came along but they had to gauge the success of the ZL1 before they went on with development. Didn't the ZL1 development get put on hold for a while? I'll admit that with the success of the 1LE it's a tight performance gap to fill between it and the ZL1. I think the Z28 name will hinge on what price point they want it to land and what other things will be attached with the LS7. Whatever they build has a chance of being a huge success if they can differentiate it from the ZL1 without pricing it into the stratosphere. Putting the Z28 name on it definitely wouldn't hurt sales.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #62
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown
 
Mchlgrrsn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 1,452
Love the one your with. There is always something better around the corner. With that in mind technically nobody should ever buy anything ever. As far as horsepower goes. Just add modifications. If you dump enough money in you can have as much horsepower as you want. Half the fun of owning a Camaro is endless hours of adding horsepower. The other half is beating more expensive cars in races.
__________________
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #63
joeybsyc

 
joeybsyc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 1,492
It would be cool if you could still get a bare bones stripper Camaro...crank windows, no AC, no fancy radio or navigation stuff, cloth cheapie interior, rubber steering wheel, untinted glass/no sunroof , standard non-RS headlights and plain jane wheels... with the LS7 and a bulletproof driveline.... at a price that was equal to or cheaper than a loaded SS. I know it could never happen in this day in age, but i think it would be neat as heck.
__________________
joeybsyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #64
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction
 
Z Boss's Avatar
 
Drives: 68SS,81Z28,87IROC,97Z28SS, '12ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 225
And joeybsyc's Z28 would be different than mine. Sure the LS7, but I am enjoying the leather, A\C, high tech suspension, XM, stereo, etc. Chevrolet has a Z28 in the works and I'll bet we'll see a 5th gen Z28 - done right!! They sell cars as a business so if a 5th gen and a 6th gen Z28 creates excitement and sales, you'll see both cars. The Chevrolet pattern is this - new model year release then subsequent packages and upgrades annually. ('10 SS, '11 Vert, '12 ZL1, '13 ZL1 Vert, '14 Z28??) I patiently waited for the ZL1 in year 3 and would have bought one whatever they called it. If Chevrolet builds an LS7 Z28, I'll be first in line. That LS7 in the Vette is awesome!! P.S. - I'm sure the LS7 Z28 will not out perform the Vette.....but I'm okay with the big brother syndrome!
__________________
ZL1....thank you Chevy Gods!
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012

Last edited by Z Boss; 01-02-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #65
cfodor
 
Drives: Chevrolet
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: cincinnati ohio
Posts: 30
Look what ford did with the boss 302 cars they handle they stay true to the heritage and have a 5.0 in them. It would be cool to see a stripped down street camaro with a high reving motor.
cfodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #66
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfodor View Post
Look what ford did with the boss 302 cars they handle they stay true to the heritage and have a 5.0 in them. It would be cool to see a stripped down street camaro with a high reving motor.
Yes but Ford is capable of building a one off engine for the BOSS 302, GM is not. Besides, the LS7 is a high revving engine.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #67
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Yes but Ford is capable of building a one off engine for the BOSS 302, GM is not. Besides, the LS7 is a high revving engine.
I agree with the LS7 statement, I don't agree that GM is not capable of building a one off engine. GM is plenty capable, they just don't have the willingness or desire to do one.
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #68
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I agree with the LS7 statement, I don't agree that GM is not capable of building a one off engine. GM is plenty capable, they just don't have the willingness or desire to do one.
You are correct!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #69
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I agree with the LS7 statement, I don't agree that GM is not capable of building a one off engine. GM is plenty capable, they just don't have the willingness or desire to do one.
Well, yeah technically they are capable of doing it but they aren't willing to. That's what I mean by they aren't capable.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #70
tom7322
 
tom7322's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 93
I think the Z28, if they even call it that, will be a 1le pkg with a 6.2 DI from the C7 vette but not
the same power level. I was just reading a article about the new C7 where the GM spokesman
had mentioned that the vette engine was going to be used in other platforms! I think it was on speed.
Been reading alot of news on the C7. What a great looking car. So there's the engine we get?
Hopefully with new hood style and front facia, rear diffuser? Have to set it apart from the SS Cain't waite.
tom7322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #71
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom7322 View Post
I think the Z28, if they even call it that, will be a 1le pkg with a 6.2 DI from the C7 vette but not
the same power level. I was just reading a article about the new C7 where the GM spokesman
had mentioned that the vette engine was going to be used in other platforms! I think it was on speed.
Been reading alot of news on the C7. What a great looking car. So there's the engine we get?
Hopefully with new hood style and front facia, rear diffuser? Have to set it apart from the SS Cain't waite.
I doubt we will see the LT1 in any Gen 5 Camaro.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #72
tom7322
 
tom7322's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 93
Ya never know gen 5 could go out with a bang. I wish we could get some hard facts insted of
all the speculation. Most of what I have seen, seems ambiguos at best. Time will tell !
tom7322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #73
Ken_
Tally Ho!
 
Ken_'s Avatar
 
Drives: 13 2SS/RS 6M, 05 Mitsubishi Evo 8
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: KU
Posts: 239
Man... just read through all of this. Who cares if there may be a Z28 or not? Who cares that the new Corvette is out and looks like a Nissan GTR did the dirty with a 5Gen Camaro and there you have it? Why not just build what you want and call it a day? Why not take the best of what the ZL1 offers and build your 2SS up to it and surpass it? Why does it have to be called a Z28? Just make something, call it what you want and be done with it. Hell, that's half the fun of owning a car that is an excellent platform to to build up and personalize. Anyway, I don't know anything. I just think with all your energy you could have made your own Z28.

Just love the Camaro you got.
Ken_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #74
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,026
It's OK if you don't get it.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #75
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,859
...and that's the point, one can't make their own Z/28. One can make their own custom Camaro true, there are many who act bitter and nay say those of us who want a Z/28. Just call it a day, forget about the old time heritage and history? For those who were driving those cars years ago like us, we want it back again. It's like having the pro team sold off from your city coming back home again. It will be a home coming for us, not you. So, you need let it go. You don't get it anyway.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.