Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #253
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee
 
SRT8Tech's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Super Bee
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jacksonville FL.
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010redcamaro View Post
Yea nothing wrong with arguing some of us can't get out and go to the dragstrip or a road course now due to the weather so it's getting to us lol
Truuuu, gotta watch those temps with the Badyear G2 supercars. LOL. I saw the temp go down to 39 a few days ago while driving and I was like aww crap gonna crack my Goodyears.
__________________
2007 Procharged SRT8 Charger..........SOLD
2010 Mopar 10 Challenger.................SOLD
2010 R/T Classic Challenger...............SOLD
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD


Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #254
Cuda7050
 
Cuda7050's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarklin View Post
I have a ZL1 on order. This, after driving BMWs for 20 years.

I will never go on any track with this car or any dragstrip. I bought this car because the level of technology and sophistication is approaching and hopefully surpassing, what is available from other (mostly European) manufacturers.

The reviews have been universally good, even in foreign publications, and I think this car would do very well on the Autobahn. My driving in this car will consist of mostly freeway, but very often mountain driving, as I have a cabin in the mountains. I expect this car to excel in both aspects of my driving, as did my BMWs before it. BMW has never made the fastest car nor even the best handling (some would debate that!) but it consistently has made arguably the best driver's cars in the world. In particular, the 3 series is a measure which all automakers would like to attain.

I'm hoping the Camaro will fill the bill. It will outhandle and out run 99% of all vehicles out there and there is a lot of fun in that. I drive a lot, and if I'm not having fun I might as well be in a Prius.

All the arguing back and forth about road racing or drags leaves me a little amused because of the childishness of it all.

We traded in our BMW for a '12 SS LS3. The Camaro is kinda quirky, but the fun factor and torque thrill is undeniable. We got bored with the "ultimate driving machine" and wanted a more primal experience.

After you go to your cabin take the car over the pass on a good weather holiday weekend, you will be amazed at how many car enthusiast like to play around with other sports cars in the mountains. No racing just "spirited driving". Oh just checked the location of Burney and your pretty far away from the major population centers so maybe you wont see to many other ethusiasts.

Don't rule out a track experience like "Hooked on Driving" to quickly, its a lot of good natured fun for average people wanting to add some fun to daily life. Much more exciting than another round of golf!
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #255
2010redcamaro
 
2010redcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: camaro jeep srt8 2010 gtr
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: spfld
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
Truuuu, gotta watch those temps with the Badyear G2 supercars. LOL. I saw the temp go down to 39 a few days ago while driving and I was like aww crap gonna crack my Goodyears.
Lol I just got my gtr a few days ago and haven't even got on it. My camaro is garaged due to all the snow and my jeep isn't good at all in this weather even with snow tires
2010redcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #256
69NMYSS

 
69NMYSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
Weeellllll, I think the arguing back and forth is because the ZL1 beat the GT500 on this course and all of the sudden the ZL1 is the top dog of road courses compared to the GT500. When in fact the GT500 has beat the ZL1 on other road courses. Thats the little fact that keeps being overlooked. The GT500 and ZL1 are actually closely matched on road courses. The ZL1 is not this GT500 road course killer this thread makes it out to be. Some courses the GT500 will win and some the ZL1 will win. Thats just the way it is......

Also a little arguing is good.
Actually, I think it funny how the fact that 5 out of 5 mag reviews all gave the ZL1 the crown keeps getting overlooked. The 3 second annihilation at VIR just solidifies any sideline doubts.
__________________
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #257
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Actually, I think it funny how the fact that 5 out of 5 mag reviews all gave the ZL1 the crown keeps getting overlooked. The 3 second annihilation at VIR just solidifies any sideline doubts.
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #258
2010redcamaro
 
2010redcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: camaro jeep srt8 2010 gtr
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: spfld
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
Do you think your car at that power level would run the same time or better?
2010redcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #259
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee
 
SRT8Tech's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Super Bee
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jacksonville FL.
Posts: 711
And its even more funny that they gave it the crown even though it lost half of those road course track times and ALL of the 1/4 mile times. Bahhhh, its all good, I guess its got a more comfy ride than the GT500.
__________________
2007 Procharged SRT8 Charger..........SOLD
2010 Mopar 10 Challenger.................SOLD
2010 R/T Classic Challenger...............SOLD
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD


Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #260
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010redcamaro View Post
Do you think your car at that power level would run the same time or better?
Considering that I'm about 230lbs lighter than a ZL1 and I have appx 75WHP more than a stock ZL1......I'd bet the bank on it.
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #261
2010redcamaro
 
2010redcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: camaro jeep srt8 2010 gtr
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: spfld
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
Considering that I'm about 230lbs lighter than a ZL1 and I have appx 75WHP more than a stock ZL1......I'd bet the bank on it.
Im asking because sometimes it's harder to control a car with that much power. And your lighter now so I think it would be a interesting test
2010redcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #262
avcbm
 
avcbm's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville (area), FL
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
And its even more funny that they gave it the crown even though it lost half of those road course track times and ALL of the 1/4 mile times. Bahhhh, its all good, I guess its got a more comfy ride than the GT500.
and it won half of them being down 100 rwhp and 300lb weight disadvantage, what's your point....
__________________

2012 Camaro ZL1
2010 Camaro SS (Sold)
avcbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #263
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: A Mountain Road
Posts: 7,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarklin View Post
I have a ZL1 on order. This, after driving BMWs for 20 years.

I will never go on any track with this car or any dragstrip. I bought this car because the level of technology and sophistication is approaching and hopefully surpassing, what is available from other (mostly European) manufacturers.

The reviews have been universally good, even in foreign publications, and I think this car would do very well on the Autobahn. My driving in this car will consist of mostly freeway, but very often mountain driving, as I have a cabin in the mountains. I expect this car to excel in both aspects of my driving, as did my BMWs before it. BMW has never made the fastest car nor even the best handling (some would debate that!) but it consistently has made arguably the best driver's cars in the world. In particular, the 3 series is a measure which all automakers would like to attain.

I'm hoping the Camaro will fill the bill. It will outhandle and out run 99% of all vehicles out there and there is a lot of fun in that. I drive a lot, and if I'm not having fun I might as well be in a Prius.

All the arguing back and forth about road racing or drags leaves me a little amused because of the childishness of it all.
I see it as good and interesting debate. Where do you feel it's childish...Dad?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #264
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee
 
SRT8Tech's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Super Bee
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jacksonville FL.
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by avcbm View Post
and it won half of them being down 100 rwhp and 300lb weight disadvantage, what's your point....
Point is the ZL1 is not this GT500 road course killer this thread is making it out to be......Do you by chance drive in the Orange Park area with your ZL1?? Ive seen a black one around. Not to many around here.
__________________
2007 Procharged SRT8 Charger..........SOLD
2010 Mopar 10 Challenger.................SOLD
2010 R/T Classic Challenger...............SOLD
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD


Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #265
GearBangr
 
Drives: 97Z,02TA
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
And its even more funny that they gave it the crown even though it lost half of those road course track times and ALL of the 1/4 mile times. Bahhhh, its all good, I guess its got a more comfy ride than the GT500.
If you want a comfy ride, try one of these.


It actually outlapped the gt500 on the LL a couple years ago.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #266
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: A Mountain Road
Posts: 7,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
And its even more funny that they gave it the crown even though it lost half of those road course track times and ALL of the 1/4 mile times. Bahhhh, its all good, I guess its got a more comfy ride than the GT500.
You're missing the point, throw a bunch of HP (I do believe the GT500 engine is very very good) at a decent car and it will win. But that does not make it a great car. All that HP is a crutch for an old design. Ford knew that and kudos to them for keeping their old car relevant.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.