Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 01-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by durbojones View Post
Removed the Pin Stripe and the Camaro today.

Looks nice. The slightly raked stance is how mine turned out with the drop springs but wish I had the Pedders coilovers. Looks good. Like the lack of the Camaro name plate to.That thing seems to look like it go's on for miles..lol May get rid of my retro badges also and have none but the SS emblems. Looks clean that way!
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/ Forgestar cf10 wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
durbojones

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro, M6, AGM
Thanks, I am going for the sleek look. I don't think the car needs much for badges to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Looks nice. The slightly raked stance is how mine turned out with the drop springs but wish I had the Pedders coilovers. Looks good. Like the lack of the Camaro name plate to.That thing seems to look like it go's on for miles..lol May get rid of my retro badges also and have none but the SS emblems. Looks clean that way!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
durbojones

Today I tackled the rear cradle bushings. I am running the actual bushings and not the inserts. The Job wasn't too hard just too a bit of time.

After I removed all the bolts and large washers, I lowered the cradle a couple of inches and placed a shallow 1" socket between the bushing and cradle mounting location.
I heated up the cradle itself up with a small Propane torch and lifted the cradle up as close to the bushing as possible until the car began to raise slightly. I kept the cradle supported with another larger 4 ton jack (not shown). Once the glue and plastic heated up enough to be pliable the bushing slide right out. I cleaned up the inside of the cradle with some 1000 grit sand paper and followed the same steps with the rear bushing. It took a bit longer with the rear because it is a bit larger.
I had to disconnect the sway bar end links and the sway bar itself in order to free up enough space under the cradle to allow the bushing to completely slide out.The new bushings slide right in and then I raised the cradle up onto the guide pins in the rear and tightened everything up.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
durbojones

I took the car down to Nashville yesterday and the car felt great. The ride is slightly stiffer, but not harsh at all. I am impressed with coilovers and how nice the ride can be with them. I can't wait to see how the car is going to handle on the track/autocross course.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

Last edited by durbojones; 05-26-2014 at 03:52 AM.
durbojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
durbojones

It has been a while since I have been able to work on the car. I finally was able to take it and get the car corner weighted and aligned by a shop in Nashville. Jerry Onks of Vette Sport did the work and gave me some pointers on suspension setup. I was able to get out to the Autocross a few days later and the car felt great. My biggest issue was over-confidence as a driver and over-drove the car for most of the day. It finally came together towards the end of the day.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
durbojones

I was also able to get to the Drag Strip for some Midnight Madness. I made a few adjustments to the shocks and ran an 8.20 ET against a 5.0 Mustang.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #21
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Awesome job so far. I'm looking to dive into the suspension here soon too. Hit the auto cross for the first time at Super Chevy and I loved it. Definitely wanna do it more.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
durbojones

Thanks. The car is so much fun to drive. It is amazing how different the car feels when the power is making to the ground.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #23
durbojones

Last night I replaced the brake pads with a set of Hawk HP+ Pads and a set of stainless steel lines. I also flushed the brake fluid with some Wilwood 570 High Temp Brake Fluid. To top everything off I ordered a set of wheels and tires from Tire Rack. The wheels are Verde Parallax in 20x10, +35mm wrapped in 285/35R20 Toyo R888 tires. This should help a bit when hit the next autocross event.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #24
durbojones

C5 Fest

I got back from the C5 Fest on Sunday and I have to say that I had a great time. I ran the Camaro Cross with the car and took third in the Modified Class. One thing to note is that I drove a total of close to 1000 miles to and from and around Indianapolis. The car drives great and isn't harsh at all. It is firm but not harsh. This is one of the main traits that I wanted when i started this build. I need to finish up with a few more bushings and then I will start to work on the engine and add a few more ponies.

Last edited by durbojones; 08-05-2013 at 10:59 PM.
durbojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Nice setup.

I also have the Pedders HD bushings and radius rod inserts, but I went with factory 1LE bars and LG Motorsports coilovers (I've yet to install the coilovers). It should get fun (and stiff) with them.

I'm the one with the black/blue SS at the Fest that has the same wheels as you. If you're curious, i remembered what the deal was with my offsets. I bought these wheels before they offered +35mm (doh) so bestwheeldeals machined the +27 down to +30 (they did a very good job). They are very close to flush, but I do think the +35 are perfect in that respect. They are a fairly heavy wheel though (close to stock), do you plan on going with something lighter in the future for track use? 8-10 lbs per corner makes a very noticeable difference in my experience.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in (and auto-subscribe to your thread). Gotta get back on the road now.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #26
durbojones

Thanks,

You have one of the best looking Camaros in my opinion. I like the blue black combo.

I would like to get a set of Forgelines or something in the future but that will probably be next year sometime. I think they would help immensely and allow me to run a 305 all the way around.

I hope you make it back safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
Nice setup.

I also have the Pedders HD bushings and radius rod inserts, but I went with factory 1LE bars and LG Motorsports coilovers (I've yet to install the coilovers). It should get fun (and stiff) with them.

I'm the one with the black/blue SS at the Fest that has the same wheels as you. If you're curious, i remembered what the deal was with my offsets. I bought these wheels before they offered +35mm (doh) so bestwheeldeals machined the +27 down to +30 (they did a very good job). They are very close to flush, but I do think the +35 are perfect in that respect. They are a fairly heavy wheel though (close to stock), do you plan on going with something lighter in the future for track use? 8-10 lbs per corner makes a very noticeable difference in my experience.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in (and auto-subscribe to your thread). Gotta get back on the road now.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #27
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
I just watched the vid of your run, very nice. I wish I could have run the Camarocross but the stars weren't aligned this time around. Maybe in Texas next year! We did make it back safe from our trip (MD to Indy to CO back to MD... 3500 miles), thanks.

Thanks for the compliment! That means a lot when it was swimming in a sea full of awesome Camaros.

You can't go wrong with the Forgelines. I like the look of the Parallax's a lot more, but lightweight racing wheels they are not. Maybe when you get the Forgelines you can put the street tires on the Parallax's and use them to replace your stockers for the street? I really like the clean look of your car with them. Everyone has Forgeline's, no one has these.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #28
durbojones

So I ran the last event of the season and had a great time doing it. I was able to run in five different events this year. I ran through two sets of tires doing it. I am definitely looking forward to next year and running some different events with other groups. The SCCA events are fun but in my area the amount of cars in my class is very low. I plan on hitting the Goodguys, American Streetcar Series, and some of the OUSCI events next year. I think by far the CamaroCross this year at the C5 Fest was probably the funnest event that I went to. Here are a few videos from the year. I had a few issues with the camera so the sound isn't working on one of them.
LS Fest 7 Sept 13

Local SCCA Event 26 Oct 13

Local SCCA Event 10 Nov 13