Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
Mr pogo
 
Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdub28 View Post
Seems to me the thought of putting a hood wrap could tear at highway speeds leaving the driver blinded from view. Why wouldn't Chevrolet just put a carbon fiber hood on instead? Any thoughts?
3M wrap has been used for over 30 years on commercial trucks and other vehicles and if it was a safety hazzard the DOT wouldve banned it long ago.

Ive worked for a company when we had all our trucks and trailers rewrapped to a new color scheme.
it takes a guy and a propane torch to heat it up and peel the wrap off doing small sections at a time.
otherwise its almost like trying to peel the actual paint off, its that secure.
Mr pogo is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #27
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,378
you are aware that 3m wrap is the same as window tint but not see thru right?

if there was an issue with the wrap tearing off, then millions of drivers with window tint would be having an issue correct?

then of course all those completely wrapped cars for advertisement would be tearing and flapping in the wind too right?

seriously?
__________________
"A world 100% full of Prius drivers is still 100% addicted to oil. " ~ E. Musk
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #28
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
you are aware that 3m wrap is the same as window tint but not see thru right?

if there was an issue with the wrap tearing off, then millions of drivers with window tint would be having an issue correct?

then of course all those completely wrapped cars for advertisement would be tearing and flapping in the wind too right?

seriously?
not to mention all our badges and lettering on car that are on with tape.
SPCBA is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #29
sene

 
Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 894
Can we ban news papers too?! Someone's discarded news paper might fly up and block my windshield.
sene is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #30
beany323

 
beany323's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern Cali.
Posts: 1,289
That's right! Ice... man. I am dangerous.
Attached Images
 
__________________
"The fact the GT500 can barely beat a $37k car with 200 less horsepower speaks volumes. There are about a million mods you can do to a LS3 to make a Camaro do the 1/4 faster then a GT500." (Vroom.)

Updated w/ Willow Springs:
1. Nissan GTR Track Pack 1:19.6 2. Ducati 1198 S 1:19.7 3. Nissan GTR 1:20.3 4. Corvette Z06 1:20.4
5. Audi R8 V10 Plus 1:22.0 6. Ferrari 458 Italia 1:22.3
7. CAMARO SS 1LE 1:22.7
8. Shelby GT 500 1:23.5
9. Mustang Gt Track Pack 1:25.8
beany323 is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #31
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
menendez1293's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tallahassee FL
Posts: 9,261
You can't be serious about the wrap tearing apart.
__________________
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #32
cam62

 
Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,255
Give the guy a break! I don't think he's trolling. This guy just joined and here he's getting g a bunch of crap for asking what I believe is an honest question.
__________________
rx catch can;vmax ported throttle body;bowtie delete;SLP SS emblem;CAI cold air intake
cam62 is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Oh wow....what an interesting thread...

Rest assured, OP. The hood wrap CANNOT come off at any speeds the 1LE can possibly achieve. It's thick Vinyl, adhered to the paint of the hood, and underneath, the edges are sealed down so they can't peel.

If hit by wind, rain, stones, or even bird poo...it's very safe.

...............................hm.....
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #34
Pdub28
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Silverado 6.2l
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Both the 1LE matte black hood and ALL of the OEM stripes are made of the same 3M vinyl.

So again - why hasn't this happened to the OEM vinyl stripes if it's such a safety hazard?
Did not know the stripes where exactly the same material. That makes me feel a little bit more confident. It just sparks my interest on how I see cars with vinyl tops flapping in the wind. Why would they ever put the material on a hood?
Pdub28 is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #35
TJ91
:chevy:
 
TJ91's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,534
my vynil stripes came off at high speeds of 50mph and blinded me. GM reimbursed me with the first production C7
__________________
CAMARO
Consult your doctor before taking Camaro
Side effects include Sudden increase in Heart Rate, Insomnia and occasional hallucinations
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #36
MarkSS
 
MarkSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 357
I would think that if you are looking for a safety concern, driving on the stock tires in cold temps would be a better topic.
MarkSS is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #37
Pdub28
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Silverado 6.2l
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
You can't be serious about the wrap tearing apart.
Sure I'm serious, I would hope I'm getting feed back from owners. Mine is on order and I didn't learn about the wrap till after. I over looked the wrap as I assumed it was paint ( being that it looked so smooth).
Pdub28 is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #38
TJ91
:chevy:
 
TJ91's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,534
lol no worries man, its just weve never had a question like this before. The wrap is perfectly safe, like MarkSS said, the tires are probably your biggest safety issue depending on the climate you live in
__________________
CAMARO
Consult your doctor before taking Camaro
Side effects include Sudden increase in Heart Rate, Insomnia and occasional hallucinations
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #39
Pdub28
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Silverado 6.2l
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr pogo View Post
3M wrap has been used for over 30 years on commercial trucks and other vehicles and if it was a safety hazzard the DOT wouldve banned it long ago.

Ive worked for a company when we had all our trucks and trailers rewrapped to a new color scheme.
it takes a guy and a propane torch to heat it up and peel the wrap off doing small sections at a time.
otherwise its almost like trying to peel the actual paint off, its that secure.
Thanks
Pdub28 is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #40
Pdub28
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Silverado 6.2l
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
lol no worries man, its just weve never had a question like this before. The wrap is perfectly safe, like MarkSS said, the tires are probably your biggest safety issue depending on the climate you live in
It's cool, I knew I would get some retaliation from some diehard camaro fans that jump into protective mode about the camaro. It was just a concern and became a question. Thanks again for the true honest feedback.
Pdub28 is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #41
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdub28 View Post
Did not know the stripes where exactly the same material. That makes me feel a little bit more confident. It just sparks my interest on how I see cars with vinyl tops flapping in the wind. Why would they ever put the material on a hood?

it's not the same material. one is cloth based one is plastic based..

in addition the vinyl tops are not glued down completely, they have edging and trimming to hold them in place.

the hood wrap is glued end to end, tearing it off is nearly impossible, and if you do attempt top rip it off, its take a major amount of muscle to do it and it will tear off in bits and pieces long before the entire sheet comes up.
__________________
"A world 100% full of Prius drivers is still 100% addicted to oil. " ~ E. Musk
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #42
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!
 
Obzen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
it's not the same material. one is cloth based one is plastic based..

in addition the vinyl tops are not glued down completely, they have edging and trimming to hold them in place.

the hood wrap is glued end to end, tearing it off is nearly impossible, and if you do attempt top rip it off, its take a major amount of muscle to do it and it will tear off in bits and pieces long before the entire sheet comes up.
This.



You'd have a better chance of your hood latch breaking and the hood flying up in your view than you would the vinyl flying off.
Obzen is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #43
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
my vynil stripes came off at high speeds of 50mph and blinded me. GM reimbursed me with the first production C7
gm auctioned of vin 0001 for over a mil to hendrick at barret jackson last night
SPCBA is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #44
joeybsyc

 
joeybsyc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 1,662
Best thread ever.
__________________
joeybsyc is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #45
sene

 
Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 894
I heard the blinker fluid they use is highly flammable and if you get rear ended while your left turn signal is on your whole car explodes. Oh wait that's the ford pinto.
sene is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #46
SumWhite1LE
King of All
 
SumWhite1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Summit White 1LE 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by sene View Post
I heard the blinker fluid they use is highly flammable and if you get rear ended while your left turn signal is on your whole car explodes. Oh wait that's the ford pinto.
My parents had one of those pinto wagons with fake wood sides. I wonder if I was conceived in it?
__________________
SumWhite1LE is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #47
joeybsyc

 
joeybsyc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumWhite1LE View Post
My parents had one of those pinto wagons with fake wood sides. I wonder if I was conceived in it?
Those fake woodgrain wagons were probably dangerous to other cars that might pass you... the woodgrain could blow off and beat you to death as you drove by.
__________________
joeybsyc is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #48
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur
 
Dznts's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 25,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdub28 View Post
Seems to me the thought of putting a hood wrap could tear at highway speeds leaving the driver blinded from view. Why wouldn't Chevrolet just put a carbon fiber hood on instead? Any thoughts?
Lmao. Definitely not a safety hazard!
__________________
Dznts is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #49
solo40oz
 
solo40oz's Avatar
 
Drives: My wife crazy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Don't worry. They use high tech wallpaper glue, not that elmer's stuff.
solo40oz is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #50
WackoCamaro
 
Drives: Blue
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
you are aware that 3m wrap is the same as window tint but not see thru right?

if there was an issue with the wrap tearing off, then millions of drivers with window tint would be having an issue correct?

then of course all those completely wrapped cars for advertisement would be tearing and flapping in the wind too right?

seriously?
remember window tint is on the inside of the vehicle.
WackoCamaro is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.