Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Dolla Bill

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
v6 to ss suspension ride quality issues

Last March I installed SS struts, sways, and springs and the ride quality to me was fine. Got an alignment and everything was good to go. However, within the past few months the ride quality has gone down and is extremely bouncy, has a bobble head effect. I have SS wheels on my 1lt and the ss suspension like I said.

I brought it to a dealer's service center close to my house and they found nothing wrong with the shocks, not blown or leaking or anything. They even test drove it and "found nothing wrong with it." The tech probably just drove it over smooth roads around the block. They ended up charging me $50 just to test drive it and to tell me nothing was wrong, when clearly is bouncy and unbearable.

I complained to the service manager about having to pay for something when nothing was technically done, and he suggested I see a tech that is more familiar with performance issues. This will be this coming Tuesday next week and I would like to know what to say or do about this?

What could this be? Are my bushings going bad? If they find nothing wrong with it again should I look into investing in some higher quality suspension parts like pedders or something like that? The future wife of mine loves the camaro but complains every time we drive my car! lol, I don't want to have to get rid of my ride, but it might come down to it if this is all just in my head and I have incorrect expectations of the ride quality. I understand I shouldn't expect a Cadillac ride quality, but it definitely has degraded and has become more bouncy.
Dolla Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
You may need to time the bushings as the car is a bit lower,however may not be it as you said car was fine and then later got worse. To me it sounds like shocks as nothing else is there to wear out that you changed. Shocks can look good and not leak but they do over time wear until one day you notice it isnt like it used to be.I have a 2012 with the new firmer shocks and the ride was great for 1100o miles, no bounce just perfect. Then I lowered it and the ride is of course firmer and can "react" more over bumps and bad roads but that is to be expected.

Good luck with it
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes /Magnaflow resonated X Pipe/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Agree on the timing, but you have to realize you now have stiffer sprins designed for the heavier V8 car, and thus a hrsher ride VS aftermarket ones designed for the weight of the V6.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Agree on the timing, but you have to realize you now have stiffer sprins designed for the heavier V8 car, and thus a hrsher ride VS aftermarket ones designed for the weight of the V6.

Good be also. lbs difference is about 150. I didnt have a all of a sudden bouncy ride in my lt with hotchkis springs and stock shocks though and op's ride was fine till several months later then noticably worse
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes /Magnaflow resonated X Pipe/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
If your ride is "bouncy" than you need new struts- they control the movement of the body of the car after the energy of a bump or pothole has been absorbed by the springs.

You didn't mention if you're SS struts were new when you installed them, but I expect Chicago roads are hard on any car's suspension.

You can order like-new factory take-offs here http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-12-Chev...30733179521%26

They're 39.95+shipping for a set of 4 from SLP.
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
chozn4service
Five-O

Drives: 2011 2SSRS RJT
You might PM Justicepete or Bruce with Raymond's Alignment. Bruce has a shop here in the Indy area and he is an authorized Pedder's distributor/retailer. I had issues with the Eibach shocks continually coming out of perch and I switched over to Pedder's and I could tell an immediate difference in ride quality and handling as well has known road defects I'd come across became non-existent for me.
Time the bushings and see if that helps but as stated in previous post, you don't have the weight of the SS for those springs with your LS and this could have thrown off the entire balance of the car.
I strongly suggest contacting JusticePete or Bruce before you do anything drastic.
Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Vararam intake, Solo HFC, VMax Ported TB, VMax "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Trifecta Tune, Mike Norris Catch Can, DRL Harness, Heritage grill, Razzi GFX, NLP Spoiler, MPD1 Spoiler and more!
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bouncy, issues, problems, suspension