Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #43
Camaro V6 090692
 
Drives: 2010 chevrolet camaro v6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Yeah, I think a single would spool up very fast and make plenty of boost for an LLT. Again, they are expensive so if you go single there are cheaper options out there that will make just as much power and spool very well with both exhaust sides dumping into one turbo.
whats the best turbo that should be used though?
Camaro V6 090692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #44
Camaro V6 090692
 
Drives: 2010 chevrolet camaro v6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 57
as in size of the turbo.
Camaro V6 090692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #45
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro V6 090692 View Post
whats the best turbo that should be used though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro V6 090692 View Post
as in size of the turbo.
I would use the manufacturers guide to make your best guess. If they say it is for engines up to 2 Liters then you know it's a bit small for our engine but will spool real fast. Two of those would be good. Once you get and idea of what size engine it was designed for you will have a good idea if you have enough exhaust to spool them. Then you can look at output. Higher the HP rating the more air it will flow and the more potential power you can make. Finally, look at the compressor map and see if you can find one with a large diagonal band running from bottom left to upper right. The longer and wider this is the more effecient it will be.

Most kits will have already done this work for you, so if you are going the kit route I wouldn't worry about it. If you are going custom route, then work with your builder to decide what's best.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #46
Camaro V6 090692
 
Drives: 2010 chevrolet camaro v6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I would use the manufacturers guide to make your best guess. If they say it is for engines up to 2 Liters then you know it's a bit small for our engine but will spool real fast. Two of those would be good. Once you get and idea of what size engine it was designed for you will have a good idea if you have enough exhaust to spool them. Then you can look at output. Higher the HP rating the more air it will flow and the more potential power you can make. Finally, look at the compressor map and see if you can find one with a large diagonal band running from bottom left to upper right. The longer and wider this is the more effecient it will be.

Most kits will have already done this work for you, so if you are going the kit route I wouldn't worry about it. If you are going custom route, then work with your builder to decide what's best.

ah ok and if i wanted to go single what size would be best?
Camaro V6 090692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #47
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro V6 090692 View Post
ah ok and if i wanted to go single what size would be best?
3-5 Liter engine with 500 HP output.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #48
Camaro V6 090692
 
Drives: 2010 chevrolet camaro v6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
3-5 Liter engine with 500 HP output.
Huh? what size turbo for a single turbo setup is what i was meaning?
Camaro V6 090692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #49
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro V6 090692 View Post
Huh? what size turbo for a single turbo setup is what i was meaning?
Yes, looking at the manufacturers specs, try to find one they say is for an engine of between 3 and 5 liters in size, then look at the HP rating and pick one that is at least 500 HP. That should be in the ballpark. The actual specs for impeller and compressors sizes will vary from one manufacturer to another. For example my 6258 is made for cars up to 2.3 L and rated at about 450 HP. If I remember right Garret's 3532 is for about the same size engine but 400 HP. Just gotta do some research.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #50
Camaro V6 090692
 
Drives: 2010 chevrolet camaro v6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Yes, looking at the manufacturers specs, try to find one they say is for an engine of between 3 and 5 liters in size, then look at the HP rating and pick one that is at least 500 HP. That should be in the ballpark. The actual specs for impeller and compressors sizes will vary from one manufacturer to another. For example my 6258 is made for cars up to 2.3 L and rated at about 450 HP. If I remember right Garret's 3532 is for about the same size engine but 400 HP. Just gotta do some research.

alright man. thanks for your help! btw whats the max boost the LLT will hold safely?
Camaro V6 090692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #51
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro V6 090692 View Post
alright man. thanks for your help! btw whats the max boost the LLT will hold safely?
The high compression ratio probably limits you to 10-12 psi. The fuel limitation will probably keep you below that. Each turbo setup will flow a different volume of air for a given psi (lots of variables go into figuring this out). So, you may find a setup that pushes a lot of air at 8 psi will be all you can handle given the fuel limitations and another setup will not max out until 10 psi. The compressor maps will help you figure out how efficient it is (how much air it can push for a given psi among other things), but your overall flow will be impacted by the intercooler and piping as well. Lower psi means lower temperatures and lower pressure build up in the cylinders. Both of these are good.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #52
nikos30
HT5 EastSide
 
nikos30's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ/PA
Posts: 1,583
be different and get both!
__________________
nikos30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #53
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,069
We have a local twin turbo LLT build with the same EFR's on Gretchens and he is spraying a 50 wet shop starting at 1500 rpm and it instantly spools them up and then the spray is boost referenced to shut off as soon as he is at 5-6# or so.

We would do a single EFR of that size for an LLT and have a killer quick spooling system that is affordable and still make all the power the LLT fuel system can handle.

The EFR's also have an internal bypass that keeps the turbine spinning between shifts so instant recovery. We dont push higher than 7K RPM's....all the power you need by then.



SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #54
Sikoriko

 
Sikoriko's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,388
To spool or not to spool
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #55
simt3k

 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikoriko View Post
To spool or not to spool
Twin Screw fool

Jk!
simt3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #56
Matt @ FSP
 
Matt @ FSP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 2,613
As per turbos, they must be spec'd properly for the size of the motor, efficiency range, max RPM, etc. Just make sure you go with someone that knows how to properly spec the turbo, tubing size, etc. The turbo will have more parts to it, will be a longer install, and will require more into the tuning considering no one has really mastered the Bosch ECU turbo systems.

However, going with the IPF kit you are ready to bolt-it on yourself in one day. Install the IPF provided tune, and away you go, no hassle, no worry. 100% reversible and something you can put on in your driveway. With the IPF kits, I can turn them in one day including baseline dyno, installation, lunch, and final dyno!

The choice if up to you at the end of the day.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.