Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #226
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
Z28 is not on the plan for 2014.

Moreover, I cant understand why everyone is anxious for the Z28, it was nothing before and I dont see a reason for GM to make it something .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
What do you mean it was nothing before?
2SS/RS 400RWHP, Hurst Shifter, Vararam Tune model,SLP Loudmouth axle back, Pedders Camaro Pace Car Kit &, EP7323, PDUSACAM2800, EP1167, ZL1 Calipers, CTS-V rotors, ZL1 Wheels, GTO clutch resevoir, Pedders Camber plates.
Back Street Performance has done a great job with ALL my Performance & Suspension mods, highly recommend them (Rich@BSP) he's in my friends list.
TLSTWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #227
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Z28 is not on the plan for 2014.

Moreover, I cant understand why everyone is anxious for the Z28, it was nothing before and I dont see a reason for GM to make it something .
Prepare for butthurt with that kind of talk, especially when you don't know the history of the Z28.

Learn something nub:
http://www.67z28.com/history.htm
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...y/viewall.html
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #228
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
lol
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #229
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Prepare for butthurt with that kind of talk, especially when you don't know the history of the Z28.

Learn something nub:
Ahh the good old days when you could get a cold air intake and headers in the trunk of your car from the factory... I bet it still had a warranty too.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....
Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #230
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Ahh the good old days when you could get a cold air intake and headers in the trunk of your car from the factory... I bet it still had a warranty too.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....
I remember when GM had planned to have parts like that with the fifth gen, then it never happened. I'd love to have multiple engine options from the factory like back in those days.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #231
Firefighter

Looks like the closest we'll get is the GMPP catalog and a voided warranty... I plan to have them add the ZL1 brakes to my 1LE before delivery. I'm guessing I'll wait a year or so before voiding my warranty. I doubt I will last that long though.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #232
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Looks like the closest we'll get is the GMPP catalog and a voided warranty... I plan to have them add the ZL1 brakes to my 1LE before delivery. I'm guessing I'll wait a year or so before voiding my warranty. I doubt I will last that long though.

The GMPP catalog is actually a pretty good selection of stuff. Now if they would just expand it to carry more. Ive debated whether or not to upgrade to ZL1 brakes, it all depends on how much the kit ends up being vs ordering the CTS-V part numbers. The markup on some of the ZL1 parts are crazy compared to the same parts on the CTS-V.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #233
Firefighter

Quote:
The GMPP catalog is actually a pretty good selection of stuff. Now if they would just expand it to carry more. Ive debated whether or not to upgrade to ZL1 brakes, it all depends on how much the kit ends up being vs ordering the CTS-V part numbers. The markup on some of the ZL1 parts are crazy compared to the same parts on the CTS-V.
Yeah this is one of the reasons I am waiting to order my 1LE. I'm probably going to have to pull the trigger in the next 2-3 weeks regardless of the release of the GMPP pricing.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #234
SS>GT

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
Intriguing: V6 fascia, V8 brakes, NPP system... VERY intriguing but it could be anything really
its a v8 fascia...
SS>GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #235
tones2SS

Drives: 13 Roush S3 05 Dodge Ram Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
So if it's a 400 hp TT V6, you wouldn't go for it?
I probably would not. That's less horsepower than the natural aspirated SS, versus the "twin" turbo to boot. That would have to be a weak V6.
It all depends on the torque and the way it moves out. But, if it were me, I'd be leaning towards not interested than interested.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #236
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS>GT View Post
its a v8 fascia...
The original V8 fascia, they were going to stick with it because of the concept but it just didn't let enough air in.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #237
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Anyone happen to notice the XM antenna is not body colored? That kind of says the car is either a '10 or '11 model. Or is that only an RS/SS thing for '12 and later?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #238
Bhobbs

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Anyone happen to notice the XM antenna is not body colored? That kind of says the car is either a '10 or '11 model. Or is that only an RS/SS thing for '12 and later?
I think it's a preproduction test mule.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #239
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah this is one of the reasons I am waiting to order my 1LE. I'm probably going to have to pull the trigger in the next 2-3 weeks regardless of the release of the GMPP pricing.

You get the ZL1 calipers and CTS-V rotors for less than $800 total, the calipers will need to be powdercoated though. I can get that done for $160

Pm me if interested. I can get you hooked up with the guy. It is where I got mine.
2SS/RS 400RWHP, Hurst Shifter, Vararam Tune model,SLP Loudmouth axle back, Pedders Camaro Pace Car Kit &, EP7323, PDUSACAM2800, EP1167, ZL1 Calipers, CTS-V rotors, ZL1 Wheels, GTO clutch resevoir, Pedders Camber plates.
Back Street Performance has done a great job with ALL my Performance & Suspension mods, highly recommend them (Rich@BSP) he's in my friends list.
TLSTWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #240
San2cci

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS (25k miles)
It is def a pre production test mule...looks just like all the other original test cars; the SS mailslot with the V6 lower bumper.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #241
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Why are people still asking questions when the man himself has spoken? With this car they are testing the exhaust and that's it. How many times does he have to say it?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #242
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Why are people still asking questions when the man himself has spoken? With this car they are testing the exhaust and that's it. How many times does he have to say it?
You think he's gonna to say "yep here's the Z/28 test mule"?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #243
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: Black 2SS/RS 2014; JK Wrangler 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
What do you mean it was nothing before?
In the 4th Generation it was below the SS in hp , and it is (NA) in the 5th generation which gives an indication that GM is not interested in it. Indeed, there is no referrence to the Z28 in that leaked GM document, which possibly means that the LS7 will be either an option on the SS or a standard on the 1LE. Most probably, the 1LE since it has a better suspension that can handle the LS7.

In business defination, the Z28 was at the decline level in the 4th generation and it is terminated now as a brand. This is known as the product life cycle.

Thats my own personal observation with no hard feelings or disrespect to Z28 owners or its history and please accept my apologies if my comments have offended you in any way.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #244
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: Black 2SS/RS 2014; JK Wrangler 2011
Quote:

Learn something nub:
And where did this history ended exactly ? and why it should be re-born again. GM is left behind lately in the muscle cars race, and with the new generation of Mustangs coming in 2015 with a (MAJOR) change, I dont think a re-innovated Z28 will be a good idea to survive in the market especially that Camaro was on hold for a while.

A major change should be challenged with a similar action and Camaro needs a new brand.

Moreover, ZL1 has lost the power race against its major competitors, so I dont think that GM will try this again with the Z28. The may try boosting the ZL1 with LS9 engines to compete with the Shelby.I guess that ZL1 is prepared already for imporvements and it is economicaly better for GM than re-launching a new Z28.

LS7 is there only to beat the GT+SRT8s. Take my word. The Mustang will maintain the 5.0L V8 engine in the coming generation and Mopar rumors so far is to launch a Supercharger option for SRT8 modles only with no major engine changes, so the door is open for Camaro to re-gain its lead.

Personal Opinion only, again no hard feelings dudes !!

Last edited by Cyber Gray; 02-05-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Cyber Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #245
shaffe

Drives: 2012 Focus
Quote:
In the 4th Generation it was below the SS in hp , and it is (NA) in the 5th generation which gives an indication that GM is not interested in it. Indeed, there is no referrence to the Z28 in that leaked GM document, which possibly means that the LS7 will be either an option on the SS or a standard on the 1LE. Most probably, the 1LE since it has a better suspension that can handle the LS7.

In business defination, the Z28 was at the decline level in the 4th generation and it is terminated now as a brand. This is known as the product life cycle.

Thats my own personal observation with no hard feelings or disrespect to Z28 owners or its history and please accept my apologies if my comments have offended you in any way.
I somewhat agree with you.

GM watered down the Z28 in the 4th gen. The SS was the top tier model. So there are alot of people that grew up knowing the SS as top dog. back around 2002 was when I really got into cars, just as the Camaro/Firebird were getting killed off. I wanted a Camaro and I wanted a SS because it was the top of the line Camaro. Alot of my friends who were also into cars knew that the SS was the one to have.

In the 4th gen the Z28 was just a trim level, base V8. If GM does it right, like Ford did with the Boss 302 with a 2 year run it could be a huge hit.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #246
Bhobbs

Quote:

No offense taken. I was just wondering what you meant.

Sure, the Z/28 badge was put on cars that didn't deserve it buy let's face it, the Camaro itself had been watered down so according to you, it never should have been revived. The 5th gen Camaro is about getting the Camaro back to where it belongs. That includes the Z/28 being the high performance track car. Its more than the 1LE but it doesn't need all the tech of the ZL1.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #247
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS>GT View Post
its a v8 fascia...
V6 fascia with a v8 mailslot. Look at the lower grille opening. Likewise the v8 fascia has the "cheek bones" which that bumper does not.

Regardless, it's an old preproduction mule and Scott himself already clarified what it is. Absolutely cracks me up that the "powers that be" would make such a reach that "oh it sounds like a v8 - it must be the LS7!"

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #248
nak3dsnake

Quote:
And where did this history ended exactly ? and why it should be re-born again. GM is left behind lately in the muscle cars race, and with the new generation of Mustangs coming in 2015 with a (MAJOR) change, I dont think a re-innovated Z28 will be a good idea to survive in the market especially that Camaro was on hold for a while.

A major change should be challenged with a similar action and Camaro needs a new brand.

Moreover, ZL1 has lost the power race against its major competitors, so I dont think that GM will try this again with the Z28. The may try boosting the ZL1 with LS9 engines to compete with the Shelby.I guess that ZL1 is prepared already for imporvements and it is economicaly better for GM than re-launching a new Z28.

LS7 is there only to beat the GT+SRT8s. Take my word. The Mustang will maintain the 5.0L V8 engine in the coming generation and Mopar rumors so far is to launch a Supercharger option for SRT8 modles only with no major engine changes, so the door is open for Camaro to re-gain its lead.

Personal Opinion only, again no hard feelings dudes !!
The Z28 died because GM stopped having major involvement in racing programs. Then with the emissions laws put in place the trim levels and engines got watered down each year. If you look at the history of the Boss 302, it too was dead after the 1970 model year. Yet it was resurrected many years later as a purpose built track car. GM resurrecting the Z28 nameplate in the same fashion for a purpose built track car is only logical if they decide to go that route. You can count on Ford continuing to use the GT, Boss 302 and Shelby GT500 nameplates with the next major change.

As far as bumping the power in the ZL1, the LS9 on its way out the door like the LS7. Production of both will stop once C7 production begins. If there is a power boost it will be in the form of a newer LT1 based supercharged engine. The LS9 is a very expensive engine and would raise the price of the ZL1 quite a bit. Same reason putting an LS7 in, though as glorious it would be, would raise the price considerably.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #249
FelipeShaw

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss/rs and 2010 2ss/rs
the gm guys at barrett jackson said they werent going to come out with the ls7 camaro because the 1LE beat it in a comparison test!

With love
DirtySilver (2010 camaro 1ss/rs LS3 twin turbo 556whp @6psi)
BlackBetty (2010 camaro 2ss/rs L99 boltons 400whp)
2003 Silverado quadrasteer 5.3L
2004 Jeep grand Cherokee 4.7L
FelipeShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #250
bandit38

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS - 1977 Trans Am S.E.
If they are only testing the exhaust to sell as a stand alone unit....I HOPE it's compatible with automatics too.

The new Corvette is....why not the Camaro too

Read the first paragraph in this article.