Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
This just in...

I've just received a communique' from a highly-reliable source within the Team that a ZEE will NOT arrive until AFTER start of production of the Gen-6 commences in Lansing...

Reason given?

If they built a Gen-5 version in Oshawa, they would be obligated by CAW rules, Canadian culture and language to call it a ZED...


I never thought of that before haha
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 5,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post


I never thought of that before haha
He got me good at first.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
...lets center and simmer a bit......, Z/28, the way we have specified...is too cost prohibitive, its in direct competition with the ZL1, and GM does not have the marketing cohones to do it...plain and simple...aintgonnahappen.gov...., a LTD ED, yes, bells and whistles a blazing, easier to hit the pick 6 than get an allocation, but not a RPO that we seek....
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...lets center and simmer a bit......, Z/28, the way we have specified...is too cost prohibitive, its in direct competition with the ZL1, and GM does not have the marketing cohones to do it...plain and simple...aintgonnahappen.gov...., a LTD ED, yes, bells and whistles a blazing, easier to hit the pick 6 than get an allocation, but not a RPO that we seek....
That very well may be true but then why not say something. Why not say the Z/28 is dead for the 5th gen, instead of "stay tuned". If they won't use Corvette engines, then at least modify the base Camaro engine for more power. With the next gen small block coming out, like we have both said, there is a lack of engines to power the Camaro. Anything they will develop is going into the Vette first. So either the 6th gen Camaro will lack high performance versions or wait for years to do it.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #22
Blueclyde

 
Blueclyde's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northeast Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Yeah, and what will be the price? We have a long wait for that answer if recent history has anything to say about it. The car in question hasn't even been announced yet.
I put the price at $52,999 base. That engine is way expensive and with additional drivetrain upgrades it's going to be costly.
__________________
2014 ZL1, AGM, Ricaros, M6, ECF
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #23
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
..by poking around there is enough written out there to conclude they will put a LS7 in a Camaro before the model change. They did the vert LS7 M6 Vette. That was a special deal, even though the LS7 came with the ZO6. So, question is, will it be named the vaunted Z....as it's been speculated....? No. I feel it will come with a Pedders upgrade over the 1LE package, and get some usual marketing makeup to go with it like the other one off's produced in conjunction with this line. Its gonna be a 1G ++ track screamer and street beater, and limited in allocation. Just sayin...
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #24
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
..by poking around there is enough written out there to conclude they will put a LS7 in a Camaro before the model change. They did the vert LS7 M6 Vette. That was a special deal, even though the LS7 came with the ZO6. So, question is, will it be named the vaunted Z....as it's been speculated....? No. I feel it will come with a Pedders upgrade over the 1LE package, and get some usual marketing makeup to go with it like the other one off's produced in conjunction with this line. Its gonna be a 1G ++ track screamer and street beater, and limited in allocation. Just sayin...
The more I think about it, the more I think this is the likely outcome. I doubt we will see our Z/28 any time soon. It will be a few years into the 6th gen probably, if they build it at all.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #25
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
....but I think we will know by the New York Show (end of March/beginning April) if we get it this year.....last minute announcements, like the C7....January announcement for Q3 ordering, hey by the way the ZL1 was officialy announced on the same day in the calender year as the C7 Vette..
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #26
Blueclyde

 
Blueclyde's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northeast Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,556
I think it will be a Z. I'm reading the tea leaves from good sources. Of course, there are no guarantees.
__________________
2014 ZL1, AGM, Ricaros, M6, ECF
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #27
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
...but of course, there are no guarantees in anything.... But for the life of me, I see no fortune in GM making any decision that would include a Z/28 along with the ZL1 in the same lineup....somebody's gotta go...especially going into 2016 with a LT1 and LT4 option. Once the C7, and CTS announces powerplants we will get a little clearer insight. I see contraction, rather than expansion.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #28
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...but of course, there are no guarantees in anything.... But for the life of me, I see no fortune in GM making any decision that would include a Z/28 along with the ZL1 in the same lineup....somebody's gotta go...especially going into 2016 with a LT1 and LT4 option. Once the C7, and CTS announces powerplants we will get a little clearer insight. I see contraction, rather than expansion.
Then why build a ZR1 and a Z06 for the Corvette which is a niche vehicle produced in much lower numbers than the Camaro?
As the 5Gen Camaro ages and its main competitor offers a new generation GM needs to "build" excitement for the 5Gen not throw in the towel.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #29
Blueclyde

 
Blueclyde's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northeast Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,556
If it comes they have to call it something. What's left? It would create a big buzz just before th next big buzz, Gen 6. Brilliant, really.
__________________
2014 ZL1, AGM, Ricaros, M6, ECF
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #30
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
If it comes they have to call it something. What's left? It would create a big buzz just before th next big buzz, Gen 6. Brilliant, really.
Exactly! And you're right what else would you call a 1LE with an LS7 and ZL1 brakes? A Z28 of course!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #31
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
Aintgonnahappen.....LOL.....till the next Gen, drop the ZL1 because there will be no LSA to stick in it, no 7.OL on the horizon, come on guys, think? Where's the motor selection? Now ponder this, keep the Z/28, and put the LT4 S/C in it? Who you wanna dance with ??? Wheres the motor selection to fit your bills? You wanna ZL1 and a Z/28, how is that gonna happen...motor wise... Like I said before, we are not gonna know anything until they announce what and if they will have a ZO6 and ZR1, and what the powerplants will be.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #32
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...but of course, there are no guarantees in anything.... But for the life of me, I see no fortune in GM making any decision that would include a Z/28 along with the ZL1 in the same lineup....somebody's gotta go...especially going into 2016 with a LT1 and LT4 option. Once the C7, and CTS announces powerplants we will get a little clearer insight. I see contraction, rather than expansion.
That's the problem right there, lack of viable power plants that GM is willing to use outside of the Vette. The Vette will get its motors and the Camaro will get the scraps GM is willing to let fall off the Vette's plate. They will have the V6, base V8 and high performance V8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Then why build a ZR1 and a Z06 for the Corvette which is a niche vehicle produced in much lower numbers than the Camaro?
As the 5Gen Camaro ages and its main competitor offers a new generation GM needs to "build" excitement for the 5Gen not throw in the towel.
Because the Corvette is the halo car. It is their main performance car and main concern when it comes to high performance. If there was no Corvette, the Camaro would be treated like the Mustang. It would get what ever engine the designers could come up with.

GM is willing to throw in the towel when it comes to the Camaro. They already did once. They would do it again just as easily IMO.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #33
Blueclyde

 
Blueclyde's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northeast Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,556
Guess we will have to wait and see. I'm sticking to my position.
__________________
2014 ZL1, AGM, Ricaros, M6, ECF
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #34
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Aintgonnahappen.....LOL.....till the next Gen, drop the ZL1 because there will be no LSA to stick in it, no 7.OL on the horizon, come on guys, think? Where's the motor selection? Now ponder this, keep the Z/28, and put the LT4 S/C in it? Who you wanna dance with ??? Wheres the motor selection to fit your bills? You wanna ZL1 and a Z/28, how is that gonna happen...motor wise... Like I said before, we are not gonna know anything until they announce what and if they will have a ZO6 and ZR1, and what the powerplants will be.

That's the road block to the Z/28. If a S/C engine was acceptable in the Z/28 we would be driving an LSA powered Z/28. Even GM knows that wouldn't represent the Z/28 as it was in the first gen and renamed the car. Is the ZL1 an awesome machine? Yes, it is. Is it a Z/28? IMO, no it isn't. GM can't build 3 engines to power all the various performance cars across all its brands without pissing someone off. They can't build 20 different engines to power all the various cars. Either they build it and tell everyone to take it or leave it, or they drop some of the performance trim levels to make it work as best as possible.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.