Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #35
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
...good insight Hobbs....
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #36
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Then why build a ZR1 and a Z06 for the Corvette which is a niche vehicle produced in much lower numbers than the Camaro?
As the 5Gen Camaro ages and its main competitor offers a new generation GM needs to "build" excitement for the 5Gen not throw in the towel.
Because its GMs answer to all other performance cars from around the world. The Base corvette is a great performance car. the Z06 is even better, but when put up against the best cars in the world the Corvette still needed more. So they built the ZR1, to showcase what GM is capable of. Then that performance trickles down the GM pipeline into other models. GM wanted to be able to build a world beater in performance, what better car in the stable than the Corvette to do it with. Thats why the Corvette gets a ZR1 and Z06.

With all the LS7 talk out there, it does seem that a Z28 is possible in the 5th gen, But I don't see where it fits in with teh current gen 5 line up.

It has to be faster than the SS and 1LE around the track, but cant be faster than the ZL1. The ZL1 is supposed to be the top of the line ultimate Camaro, if the Z28 comes in cheaper, and offers better performance, more people would buy the Z28 than the ZL1
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #37
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Because its GMs answer to all other performance cars from around the world. The Base corvette is a great performance car. the Z06 is even better, but when put up against the best cars in the world the Corvette still needed more. So they built the ZR1, to showcase what GM is capable of. Then that performance trickles down the GM pipeline into other models. GM wanted to be able to build a world beater in performance, what better car in the stable than the Corvette to do it with. Thats why the Corvette gets a ZR1 and Z06.

With all the LS7 talk out there, it does seem that a Z28 is possible in the 5th gen, But I don't see where it fits in with teh current gen 5 line up.

It has to be faster than the SS and 1LE around the track, but cant be faster than the ZL1. The ZL1 is supposed to be the top of the line ultimate Camaro, if the Z28 comes in cheaper, and offers better performance, more people would buy the Z28 than the ZL1
The ZL1 would still be faster in a straight line but it would be similar to the Z06/ZR1 situation where the Z06 is about as fast as the ZR1 around a track.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #38
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The ZL1 would still be faster in a straight line but it would be similar to the Z06/ZR1 situation where the Z06 is about as fast as the ZR1 around a track.
Thats true too, didnt think about that. But theres a much larger price gap between a Z06 and ZR1 than there would be between a Z28 and Zl1.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #39
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,616
Everyone my question was rhetorical. I understand why there are the various offerings of a Corvette. What I don't understand is "why" there shouldn't be a 5Gen Z28? No one has convinced me it is a bad financial or marketing move.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #40
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Everyone my question was rhetorical. I understand why there are the various offerings of a Corvette. What I don't understand is "why" there shouldn't be a 5Gen Z28? No one has convinced me it is a bad financial or marketing move.
It isn't...and that is EXACTLY why it WILL appear...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #41
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Everyone my question was rhetorical. I understand why there are the various offerings of a Corvette. What I don't understand is "why" there shouldn't be a 5Gen Z28? No one has convinced me it is a bad financial or marketing move.
The only thing I could think of why it might not happen, is that in my personal opinion, it could come to close to the ZL1 in price and performance, aside from that it is a perfect marketing decision. Send the 5th gen out with a bang, plus keep interest in it before a 6th gen comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
It isn't...and that is EXACTLY why it WILL appear...
I didn't think it would appear, but after seeing the LS7 on the vin card I have to agree
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #42
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Everyone my question was rhetorical. I understand why there are the various offerings of a Corvette. What I don't understand is "why" there shouldn't be a 5Gen Z28? No one has convinced me it is a bad financial or marketing move.
Because GM has no reason to build the Z/28. The Camaro is selling well so why incur the costs of a new Z/28? I doubt GM cares if there is a Z/28 or not.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #43
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Because GM has no reason to build the Z/28. The Camaro is selling well so why incur the costs of a new Z/28? I doubt GM cares if there is a Z/28 or not.
Yes they do. They need to keep market share since the Camaro is aging and their competitor's will soon be new. They care!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #44
Blueclyde

 
Blueclyde's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northeast Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,556
It will happen, for the very reason some of you are saying it won't. The 7.0L has a limited sight line and will be going the way of the dinosaur. Why not shove it in a 1LE spec'd 5th gen with a couple of other upgraded drivetrain do-dads that they already have on ZL1 and make the Z28? I think it's brilliant. Think about it. I don't mean to offend anybody hear but really when was the last time a car named Z28 was really good? It's Ben a long time and you can argue that it's been since 1st gen. Who cares what's faster in a straight line Orin whatever track. Really, I could care less. I think it old be cool as hell. Guys, I really think its gonna come.
__________________
2014 ZL1, AGM, Ricaros, M6, ECF
Blueclyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #45
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes they do. They need to keep market share since the Camaro is aging and their competitor's will soon be new. They care!
If they did, why isn't there a Z/28? The time to reveal a Z/28 is fading fast and we don't even have a glimpse of a possible Z/28. No spy shots of a new Camaro being tested. No Jalopnik pictures of an LS7 under the hood of a Camaro. Nothing.

That says a lot to me.

With the Mustang moving towards a more global design, I don't think it will see that great in North America. All GM has to do is make the next Camaro look like an American muscle car and I bet it will sell very well.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #46
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
It will happen, for the very reason some of you are saying it won't. The 7.0L has a limited sight line and will be going the way of the dinosaur. Why not shove it in a 1LE spec'd 5th gen with a couple of other upgraded drivetrain do-dads that they already have on ZL1 and make the Z28? I think it's brilliant. Think about it. I don't mean to offend anybody hear but really when was the last time a car named Z28 was really good? It's Ben a long time and you can argue that it's been since 1st gen. Who cares what's faster in a straight line Orin whatever track. Really, I could care less. I think it old be cool as hell. Guys, I really think its gonna come.
Why don't I see the Z/28 coming in the 5th gen or even in the future? GMs lack of willingness to use high peformance Corvette engines in the Camaro. If we have to wait for the Corvette to move on to the latest and greatest engines before they make their way into the Camaro, then the Camaro will always be limited. It would have been nice to see the LS6 in a 4th gen Z/28 but that didn't happen. It would have been great to have the LT4 in a 3rd gen Z/28 but there wasn't an LT4 Z/28.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #47
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes they do. They need to keep market share since the Camaro is aging and their competitor's will soon be new. They care!
That is the reason I think it could happen^. Ford typically did the same thing before a new mustang came out to keep the outgoing model fresh.

03/04 in addition to the cobra, you had the Mach 1
08/09 you had bullitt (yeah I know not that special but still mustang guys love it)

That's why I could see the Z28, with a totally new mustang coming out, Chevy will need something to keep camaro fresh till the 6th gen.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #48
Blueclyde

 
Blueclyde's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northeast Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,556
Maybe the mods should merge this thread into the House.
__________________
2014 ZL1, AGM, Ricaros, M6, ECF
Blueclyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #49
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That is the reason I think it could happen^. Ford typically did the same thing before a new mustang came out to keep the outgoing model fresh.

03/04 in addition to the cobra, you had the Mach 1
08/09 you had bullitt (yeah I know not that special but still mustang guys love it)

That's why I could see the Z28, with a totally new mustang coming out, Chevy will need something to keep camaro fresh till the 6th gen.
Yes.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #50
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That is the reason I think it could happen^. Ford typically did the same thing before a new mustang came out to keep the outgoing model fresh.

03/04 in addition to the cobra, you had the Mach 1
08/09 you had bullitt (yeah I know not that special but still mustang guys love it)

That's why I could see the Z28, with a totally new mustang coming out, Chevy will need something to keep camaro fresh till the 6th gen.
That's Ford. They do things with the Mustang that Chevy doesn't do with the Camaro.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #51
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
A 5th gen Z/28 will happen, a 5th gen Z/28 won't happen, and still we see nothing in the form of a concrete answer either way from Chevrolet. I am quite frankly disappointed that this far into the 5th gen cycle that Chevy/GM has not made an effort to get a proper Z/28 out there. And I see a disappointing number of performance engines for selections now and in the future. Now I realize we'll never see the number of performance engines in a lineup that we had in the '60s, but surely they should be able to develop and commit to three good performance engines that would support an SS, Z/28 and ZL1. I may get surprised and a 5th gen Z/28 may show up yet, I might get surprised and find all three in the 6th gen when it arrives, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for either event to happen. I've been almost 100% GM since I started driving in the mid '60s, but these days like so many other companies GM is limiting their selections/lines and you either buy what little they offer or you look elsewhere. Call me a stick in the mud or a pessimist or what ever else you like, I'm not very hopeful of seeing solutions from Chevy/GM for the vehicle I'm looking for. And I am getting so I rarely post here because of those feelings. I still have a faint hope that they will change my mind, but that is very faint and would be a suprise if it happened.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.