Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HRE Wheels
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #43
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
For anyone who has installed the 1LE axles, is there a washer on the outboard side that goes between the CV joint and hub? The service manual discusses replacing a washer, and adding one if it wasn't there before. This is from the SS manual though.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #44
bannonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
the splines are the biggest diff , and from what i can tell with a messuring gauge i got that only messures 2 - 3 inches it shows a 1/8 to 3/16 diff in thickness in the center of the axel the boots are bigger too.
No difference in splines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
I'm willing to bet you can install the rear "HD" 1LE bearing/hubs with the older SS axles, I don't GM would change the spline count nor spline diameter, the new bearing are most likely just wider.
Ed M.
Ed is probably correct. There is no difference in splines or diameter on the hub side with the 1LE axles. I took my old hub and slid it on with no problem on the drivers side. As for the hubs, if it wasn't for a different part number on the box, you can't tell physically just looking at the outside they are different. So has to be internally with the bearings. The housings are identical.

The obvious differences on the driver's side axle is the size of the outboard CV joint. 1LE is 1/2" larger in diameter, same spline count on both sides and diameters are the same as the stock SS. Differences in thread length where the axle nut connects. Didn't check if the thread size was the same; I might run back to the shop tonight and check.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #45
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
i dont remember but only washer i recall was made on the nut , if thats what ur talkin about.

oh i was sayin on the splines being diff, they are made totally diff as u can see in the pic. they do indead fit in the ss hubs tho.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #46
bannonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
i dont remember but only washer i recall was made on the nut , if thats what ur talkin about.

oh i was sayin on the splines being diff, they are made totally diff as u can see in the pic. they do indead fit in the ss hubs tho.
I wouldn't call the splines "totally diff." Same diameter shaft, same spline count and they fit the SS hub.

As for the washer I'm referring too, you can see it next to the CV joint in my picture in this thread. The SS axle is the bottom one. The washer as it is referred to in the service manual is slightly pulled away from the CV.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...86&postcount=1