Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #26
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Washing

Soap-

Winner: Optimum Car Wash- I'm kind of obsessed with finding the perfect car shampoo. I've tried dozens, and I can't beat Optimum. It foams amazingly, it rinses very clean, it has a high degree of lubricity and it's very affordable. You will love this in your foam gun, as well. I buy this by the gallon.

Wash Media-

Winner: Dodo Juice Wookie Mitt- This thing is seriously soft on your paint. It's made of long nap Merino wool, so it keeps the dirt away from the paint and slathers on tons of soapy water each time. I'd use one in the shower if they weren't so expensive

Honorable Mentions: Adam's Wash Pad- I actually like the wash pads a lot because they transfer more soap than a merino wool mitt does. It gets second place because they quickly become rough to the touch, and therefore have to be replaced often. Good price, though.

Paint Decontamination

Iron Removal-

Winner: Car Pro Iron X- This stuff smells like liquid death, but it is effective and easy to use. Makes short work of iron filings stuck in your paint, and turns purple as it reacts so you can see it working. Pair it with a sponge like this

Glass Care

Glass Sealant-

Winner: GTechniq G1 Clear Vision- G1 is a revolution in glass coatings. It lasts up to 3 years (claimed) and beads water flawlessly. Also keeps bugs and other stuff from sticking to the glass. It has a steep learning curve and is far from the easiest thing out there to use, but if you can master it you won't be disappointed. I have 6 months on mine and it's still working like a champ.

Honorable Mention: GTechniq G5 (especially good over G1), Adam's Glass Sealant

Well, there it is. I'll try to keep this list updated as new things impress me enough to make the cut. Hope this helps at least a couple people out there.

-Matt
Might have to try out that Optimum Car Wash next time I order, still have a gallon of Adam's left.

A few extra questions:

Is that Wookie mitt any different than Adam's Murino Wash mitt?

You're so right about the Iron X, it literally smells like a bucket of zombie a-holes!

Isn't that GTechniq glass sealant the one that you said was really hard to apply?
ChadG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #27
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Might have to try out that Optimum Car Wash next time I order, still have a gallon of Adam's left.

A few extra questions:

Is that Wookie mitt any different than Adam's Murino Wash mitt?

You're so right about the Iron X, it literally smells like a bucket of zombie a-holes!

Isn't that GTechniq glass sealant the one that you said was really hard to apply?
I'm not sure actually. I used to have an Adams wool mitt but I'll refrain from judging because I can't really remember. I'd need them side by side, but my guess is they're pretty similar.

And yes, the G1 is an absolute beast to apply your first time. Huge learning curve but so worth it. I was an early adopter so the IPA tip wasn't around when I applied. Would've made it much easier.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #28
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
Wow, incredible list and very well formatted so it's easy to understand.

I know you've helped me in the past and this will be something I will reference when I finally feel up to polishing.

Sticky, this must be.
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #29
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Do you experience any difficulty cleaning with the mitt when your car is really dirty? Or that it might retain too much dirt? How many of those do you use per car wash?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Do you experience any difficulty cleaning with the mitt when your car is really dirty? Or that it might retain too much dirt? How many of those do you use per car wash?
The mitt shouldn't give you any problems. I scrub it on the grit guard between each section.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but on my own car I generally only use one mitt. I wash the top 1/2 first, then the bottom half. My car never gets dirty enough for this to be a problem.

On really dirty cars, I'll generally do the top 1/2 with a mitt and then the grimy bottom half with a separate wash pad.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #31
BilJ

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Fantastic write-up....much appreciated. Would also like your opinion on some of the wash and wax products, such as Mothers carnuba wash and wax, Meguiars ultimate wash and wax, etc. In particular, can the wash and wax products be safely used on matte black stripes without screwing them up? I understand the matte black stripes should not be waxed, but am concerned if the wax type washes contain enough wax to be harmful. Many thanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #32
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Quote:
The mitt shouldn't give you any problems. I scrub it on the grit guard between each section.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but on my own car I generally only use one mitt. I wash the top 1/2 first, then the bottom half. My car never gets dirty enough for this to be a problem.

On really dirty cars, I'll generally do the top 1/2 with a mitt and then the grimy bottom half with a separate wash pad.
Yep. Me too and on the rare occasion when the bottom does get a bit more dirty, I spend a little more time on the pre-rinse. But always from the top down.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #33
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilJ View Post
Fantastic write-up....much appreciated. Would also like your opinion on some of the wash and wax products, such as Mothers carnuba wash and wax, Meguiars ultimate wash and wax, etc. In particular, can the wash and wax products be safely used on matte black stripes without screwing them up? I understand the matte black stripes should not be waxed, but am concerned if the wax type washes contain enough wax to be harmful. Many thanks.
I like to keep my wash and wax separate for this exact reason. I don't want to take the chance. You're probably going to be ok, but there's only one way to find out.

I want my car wash to wash, and my wax to wax. That way I know exactly what's going on my paint at any given time.

I think that Roshan (ihaveacamaro) knows quite a bit more about those products, you may want to shoot him a pm for a specific question.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #34
BilJ

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
I like to keep my wash and wax separate for this exact reason. I don't want to take the chance. You're probably going to be ok, but there's only one way to find out.

I want my car wash to wash, and my wax to wax. That way I know exactly what's going on my paint at any given time.

I think that Roshan (ihaveacamaro) knows quite a bit more about those products, you may want to shoot him a pm for a specific question.

Excellent answer....thanks....I think I'll try the Optimum.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #35
goducks09

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2LT/RS
Any recommendations on interior cleaning? Dash specifically. Anything that brings out the black color? Love the writeup!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #36
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Wow how did I completely ignore interiors? Haha sorry about that. Bound to miss something.

Added to the OP.

Last edited by CamaroDreams07; 02-12-2013 at 10:45 PM.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #37
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Wow how did I completely ignore interiors? Haha sorry about that. Bound to miss something.

Added to the OP.

Easy oversight...interior cleaning is the least "glamorous" of the detailing processes.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #38
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I need a full day to fully take in this wealth of information. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #39
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
Easy oversight...interior cleaning is the least "glamorous" of the detailing processes.
I hate it. I'd probably like it more if I didn't have a car with cheap plastic everywhere, but you can only put so much lipstick on a pig.

I was watching Top Gear the other day and they had the new Vanquish on there- the interior was almost nicer than the exterior on that car!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #40
Nick@Adams

Quote:
I hate it. I'd probably like it more if I didn't have a car with cheap plastic everywhere, but you can only put so much lipstick on a pig.

I was watching Top Gear the other day and they had the new Vanquish on there- the interior was almost nicer than the exterior on that car!
Agreed on both.

I charge A LOT for interior cleaning, especially cleaning nasty carpets. If someone balks at the price I quote...no big deal lol.

Yes, the interior of that Aston was INCREDIBLE. I wish they would have showed more of it.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #41
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Agreed on both.

I charge A LOT for interior cleaning, especially cleaning nasty carpets. If someone balks at the price I quote...no big deal lol.

Yes, the interior of that Aston was INCREDIBLE. I wish they would have showed more of it.

I wish I had taken pictures of this Suburban that I did a full interior detail on when I was still cutting my teeth in this business. I was a little hesitant to throw out a "big number" so I lowballed it to make sure I didn't insult the customer. NEVER AGAIN. I probably spent 8 hours and a gallon of your carpet cleaner doing the entire thing by hand (had no carpet shampooer, just a brush and elbow grease). What a nightmare

Now I'm like you- I charge a lot and if they decline, well, I don't have to do it . Either way, I'm fine with it.

And yeah, the next time I find myself with an extra $278,000 lying around, I'm buying one. Should be no problem
Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #42
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
I wish I had taken pictures of this Suburban that I did a full interior detail on when I was still cutting my teeth in this business. I was a little hesitant to throw out a "big number" so I lowballed it to make sure I didn't insult the customer. NEVER AGAIN. I probably spent 8 hours and a gallon of your carpet cleaner doing the entire thing by hand (had no carpet shampooer, just a brush and elbow grease). What a nightmare

Now I'm like you- I charge a lot and if they decline, well, I don't have to do it . Either way, I'm fine with it.

And yeah, the next time I find myself with an extra $278,000 lying around, I'm buying one. Should be no problem
It just so happens the next interior I do will be quoted at $278,000

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #43
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
It just so happens the next interior I do will be quoted at $278,000
Well played, sir.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #44
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Well played, sir.

Have you looked into the Bissell extractor machines? They are supposed to work decently for carpets and a lot less elbow grease, considering that it's a hot water extractor @ $100.

I was thinking about getting one, but would rather save up for the Rupes at the moment.... almost there!

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #45
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

No, saving for my Vanquish.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #46
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Old 02-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #47
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
No, saving for my Vanquish.

ptff, all I need is one more interior cleaning job

Old 02-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #48
Nick@Adams

Quote:

Here's a nasty SuperDuty I did last fall...

Deeeeeeesgusting!

/threadjack
Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #49
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:

Deeeeeeesgusting!

/threadjack
Very nice.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #50
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:

Deeeeeeesgusting!

/threadjack
That just made me throw up in my mouth . . . .
ChadG is online now   Reply With Quote