Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #267
NJIOMSS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
If they ever throw in a manual and AWD this could def be the family man's weekend warrior ride! lol Other than that I think it would still get lost in a sea of cars at the mall parking lot.
NJIOMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #268
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Do we know if this thing will have a LSD or Open Diff?

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #269
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Manual is probable.

No AWD.

It will have a Camaro differential unless my intel is incorrect.

Speaking of intel, my AU guys tell me they have seen test cars that have a distinct SC whine.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #270
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
sorry but i cant see but a little 2014 impala in it either.
I can't change your opinion lol and you can't change mine. To me I see a lot of similarities but thats to my eyes. It just doesn't catch my eye.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #271
STOCK1SC

Drives: 2012 Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I would wager that if GM did not plan to bring this NEW Holden Commodore SSV here as a Chevy SS, there would be clamors to burn GM's management team at the preverbal stake for having such a great car in the land of the down under and not for our consumption. If its' good enough for Holden, well then Its more than good enough for me. Holden has more than enough clout in my books when it comes to providing fun high performing sports sedans to the world for GM's export rwd market.

A 300C or Charger may be a little more expressive in the higher trim models but that pig of a chassis is still a decade or more older Mercedes E300 that Daimler donated and we all know how the previous G8 GT beat the Chrysler twins before in packaging and performance. My co-worker has a Charger R/T and he is now replacing the engine due to valve train failure and he is not some one who mods his cars or abuses them at all, but he has experienced numerous problems with his car since purchasing it new a few years ago. Take that with a grain of salt since it is second hand account of issues from a guy who normally keeps his cars well past the pay off period. He is looking for a new rwd V8 sedan to fit his 6' 4" frame in with comfort. He bought his Charger after the G8 GT was out of production here in the states.

I would love one with a LT1 power plant or something a little higher up in the power range. And make mine in Cyber Grey or whatever the C7 Vette grey is.
Funny my Charger has been perfect this past year since I bought it, not one problem even with the new 8 speed auto. Same for my 2005 Dakota, and my 2005 SRT-4, none have ever had any warranty work done, solid and reliable. Also never had problems with my 1995 Dodge Stratus 5 speed, it had over 100k miles and still got 42mpg on the hwy the day I sold it to a friend who's mom needed a car and was down on her luck. Would you like to hear about the Chevy's I've owned that lived in the shop? Every car maker has a few bad cars that make it out of the dealership, I don't hold it against Chevy that my last 2 were constantly in the shop or stranded me in parking lots across the town. From having owned 4 Dodges and 3 Chevy's in the last 20 years, my Dodge's were far superior in build quality. Now if Chevy could give this car the LT1 and a decent exterior it might sell some vehicles but looking at this SS and comparing it to an SRT8 or even a 6 cylinder Charger like my own it doesn't look as good to me. The Charger exterior in pure sexy and the new interior's on the 2011's are far better than this SS. My problem is my wife liked the Charger so much she took it and now I have to find a car for myself, right now it is between the SRT8 if they could get the 8 speed auto in it or the Camaro SS if they can get the LT1 in it. Tried sitting in a Mustang GT but don't fit, knees kept hitting the steering wheel, needs telescoping feature bad like the SS and Charger.
STOCK1SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #272
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by STOCK1SC View Post
Funny my Charger has been perfect this past year since I bought it, not one problem even with the new 8 speed auto. Same for my 2005 Dakota, and my 2005 SRT-4, none have ever had any warranty work done, solid and reliable. Also never had problems with my 1995 Dodge Stratus 5 speed, it had over 100k miles and still got 42mpg on the hwy the day I sold it to a friend who's mom needed a car and was down on her luck. Would you like to hear about the Chevy's I've owned that lived in the shop? Every car maker has a few bad cars that make it out of the dealership, I don't hold it against Chevy that my last 2 were constantly in the shop or stranded me in parking lots across the town. From having owned 4 Dodges and 3 Chevy's in the last 20 years, my Dodge's were far superior in build quality. Now if Chevy could give this car the LT1 and a decent exterior it might sell some vehicles but looking at this SS and comparing it to an SRT8 or even a 6 cylinder Charger like my own it doesn't look as good to me. The Charger exterior in pure sexy and the new interior's on the 2011's are far better than this SS. My problem is my wife liked the Charger so much she took it and now I have to find a car for myself, right now it is between the SRT8 if they could get the 8 speed auto in it or the Camaro SS if they can get the LT1 in it. Tried sitting in a Mustang GT but don't fit, knees kept hitting the steering wheel, needs telescoping feature bad like the SS and Charger.
So you have been a member since 2010 and only made 3 posts touting Chrysler products....
Having owned several Chrysler products in the past I can say they were the worst cars I have ever owned. Last one was a 2007 jeep Liberty that got terrible gas mileage, the door seals leaked every time I drove in the rain, any repairs were outrageously expensive and working on anything on it was a PITA.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 02-20-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #273
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Can we take the impala Body and put it on the SS interior/running gear?
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #274
Rapid Runner

Drives: 2012 Audi TT-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You have a different deffinition of "smoke" than I do.

I read one review of the R/T that said the "mere 370 HP engine dropped the 0-60 time to under 7 seconds"

Your Dodge weighs 4400 pounds

I'm sure it's a great drive but pretty sure it's not smoking the SS stock to stock.

And the eight speed is not available on the R/T or the SRT yet. Maybe soon. The 8 speed is available in the V6 only according the Dodge website. Both V8s are listed as 5 speed automatic.

And the R/T will run you just South of 40k.

All in all I don't think the car is a fail with 415 HP but somehow a champ with 450. 35 is nice but not enough to go from 0 to hero.
The are not for sale yet... autoblog just test drove one last week, and a loaded Charger R/T will run you $36k
Rapid Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #275
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
You have a different deffinition of "smoke" than I do.

I read one review of the R/T that said the "mere 370 HP engine dropped the 0-60 time to under 7 seconds"

Your Dodge weighs 4400 pounds

I'm sure it's a great drive but pretty sure it's not smoking the SS stock to stock.

And the eight speed is not available on the R/T or the SRT yet. Maybe soon. The 8 speed is available in the V6 only according the Dodge website. Both V8s are listed as 5 speed automatic.

And the R/T will run you just South of 40k.

All in all I don't think the car is a fail with 415 HP but somehow a champ with 450. 35 is nice but not enough to go from 0 to hero.
You may want to actually read what these cars are actually doing. And also you need to fact check your prices. The regular R/Ts hit 60 in 5.1-5.2 and mid 13 1/4 mile times, with specials like the Mopar 10 and Dayotna should be high 4s and are running low 13s, GM is estimating around 5 flat for the SS, might do a 4.8-4.9. On pricing the R/T starts at 29995 plus destination, AWD runs 2500 more (not available on the SS at any price), you add the track pack, driver confidence group, super track pack, nav, and distronic cruise does bring it to 38k, that does include all the lux goodies and performance goodies, many not even seeming available on the SS such as the adjustable suspension, rear heated seats, heated and cooled cupholders, etc, etc. As for the 8 speed auto,, it is set to be available for the 14 model year with the hemis, same as the GC and Ram, which should make it even quicker and yes, should be easily inline with the SS in performance. This transmission is one of the main reasons a 315 HP 4000+ pound Audi A6 can run well into the 13s. Anyways, since the SS is a 14 model this is the only fair comparison. Also, keep in mind, in the tests i read between the G8 GT and Charger R/T it was hardly a blowout. Their times were not that far off and handling numbers were very similar. One thing to also consider with that was that that year had the origonal 5.7 Hemi with 340-350 HP and NOT the 09 + version with 370. With it, the Charger would have had the acceleration advantage. it was the same with the 09 SRT8 with the old 6.1 and the G8 GXP, all the times and numbers were basically identical with the Charger just being a little more raucus and musclecar like and the G8 having a more European feel, which we all know is what the mainstream journalists prefer. We won't even get into the 11+ Charger. Yes it weighs a lot, but it hides that weight, drives smaller than it really is and is desribed by more than one magazine as driving like the older BMWs before BMW dumbed their cars down. The Charger is way more of a competitor than you are making it out to be and since it WILL be getting the 8 speed auto, it's real chink in it's armor is about to be fixed.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #276
Rapid Runner

Drives: 2012 Audi TT-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
You may want to actually read what these cars are actually doing. And also you need to fact check your prices. The regular R/Ts hit 60 in 5.1-5.2 and mid 13 1/4 mile times, with specials like the Mopar 10 and Dayotna should be high 4s and are running low 13s, GM is estimating around 5 flat for the SS, might do a 4.8-4.9. On pricing the R/T starts at 29995 plus destination, AWD runs 2500 more (not available on the SS at any price), you add the track pack, driver confidence group, super track pack, nav, and distronic cruise does bring it to 38k, that does include all the lux goodies and performance goodies, many not even seeming available on the SS such as the adjustable suspension, rear heated seats, heated and cooled cupholders, etc, etc. As for the 8 speed auto,, it is set to be available for the 14 model year with the hemis, same as the GC and Ram, which should make it even quicker and yes, should be easily inline with the SS in performance. This transmission is one of the main reasons a 315 HP 4000+ pound Audi A6 can run well into the 13s. Anyways, since the SS is a 14 model this is the only fair comparison. Also, keep in mind, in the tests i read between the G8 GT and Charger R/T it was hardly a blowout. Their times were not that far off and handling numbers were very similar. One thing to also consider with that was that that year had the origonal 5.7 Hemi with 340-350 HP and NOT the 09 + version with 370. With it, the Charger would have had the acceleration advantage. it was the same with the 09 SRT8 with the old 6.1 and the G8 GXP, all the times and numbers were basically identical with the Charger just being a little more raucus and musclecar like and the G8 having a more European feel, which we all know is what the mainstream journalists prefer. We won't even get into the 11+ Charger. Yes it weighs a lot, but it hides that weight, drives smaller than it really is and is desribed by more than one magazine as driving like the older BMWs before BMW dumbed their cars down. The Charger is way more of a competitor than you are making it out to be and since it WILL be getting the 8 speed auto, it's real chink in it's armor is about to be fixed.
Was about to correct him on that.. Car and driver got 5.2 secs with the 5 speed

And for $36K... Chevy lost the mainstream V8 RWD 4 door sedan segment this time.. giving credit that is due.. the G8 kick the old chargers ass.. but this is now
Rapid Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #277
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I would wager that if GM did not plan to bring this NEW Holden Commodore SSV here as a Chevy SS, there would be clamors to burn GM's management team at the preverbal stake for having such a great car in the land of the down under and not for our consumption. If its' good enough for Holden, well then Its more than good enough for me. Holden has more than enough clout in my books when it comes to providing fun high performing sports sedans to the world for GM's export rwd market.

A 300C or Charger may be a little more expressive in the higher trim models but that pig of a chassis is still a decade or more older Mercedes E300 that Daimler donated and we all know how the previous G8 GT beat the Chrysler twins before in packaging and performance. My co-worker has a Charger R/T and he is now replacing the engine due to valve train failure and he is not some one who mods his cars or abuses them at all, but he has experienced numerous problems with his car since purchasing it new a few years ago. Take that with a grain of salt since it is second hand account of issues from a guy who normally keeps his cars well past the pay off period. He is looking for a new rwd V8 sedan to fit his 6' 4" frame in with comfort. He bought his Charger after the G8 GT was out of production here in the states.

I would love one with a LT1 power plant or something a little higher up in the power range. And make mine in Cyber Grey or whatever the C7 Vette grey is.
Please see my previous post, and if you want to talk issues I could go into the issues with my brother's 09 CTS which have now eveolved into major computer issues which has disabled the AWD, ABS, and parking assist, added to the navigation failures, the leaky sunroof, constant pinging in the engine and multiple coil replacements, carpet replacemnts, front end clunks, and it keeps getting worse.... I am sure his CTS like your coworkers engine replacemnt is NOT normal, so don't act as if it is and if I searched the net I know i could find examples of LS3s needing replacements too.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #278
STOCK1SC

Drives: 2012 Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
So you have been a member since 2010 and only made 3 posts touting Chrysler products....
Having owned several Chrysler products in the past I can say they were the worst cars I have ever owned. Last one was a 2007 jeep Liberty that got terrible gas mileage, the door seals leaked every time I drove in the rain, any repairs were outrageously expensive and working on anything on it was a PITA.
I made 3 posts regarding obvious fan boy postings by people who didn't even own Dodge vehicles but heard from a friend they were bad. If people want to post about the ills of Dodge I had first hand experiences with Dodge and Chevy, post count shouldn't matter. I've been on LS1.com since 2001 and Camaro Z28 for almost as long, what's your point? Owned a 1988 Camaro, 2002 Camaro, 2009 Cobalt SS, what's your point?
STOCK1SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #279
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
In before the lock

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #280
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
I think that once you sat in and drove the SS and compared the really crappy interior in the G8 to what appears to be in the SS you'd change your mind.

G8 was pretty nice for mid 2000's. By the time it came here it was horribly dated. The SS is all new.
The G8's crappy interior is the only reason I don't have one. This looks much better!