Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #26
CrystalRedTintcoat

 
CrystalRedTintcoat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, online, & in my 1LE
Posts: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Wow, at least there are no rub marks... ummmm wrong sub forum.


I drive this car hard, sometimes real hard but I don't dog it. Remember that some of the broken items may be user error... present company excluded. I am close to 3000 miles now.
Tram: I'm not trying to dog Chevy entirely here. I guess this paint issue threw me over the edge. It just reeks of bad quality. Look. I'm totally ok with cost savings done right like no door to the trunk fuse box and only a passenger side back seat pocket. But the wheels and My Link are crown jewel type features to this car and the 2SS package. They are things for which I was willing to pay. extra. But a non sealed paint job and a my link that keeps resetting itself and jumbling my layout creates grave concern for me personally.

And sure. I get on my car like you, perhaps. And maybe the half shaft issue and the strut snap are user caused incidents; I've considered this similarly. But then I start to wonder "what if"....

Quality is both real and perceived. A seemingly simple paint decision (or lack thereof) behind the wheels seems innocuous .... Or is it?
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #27
CrystalRedTintcoat

 
CrystalRedTintcoat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, online, & in my 1LE
Posts: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I'd bet that in the minds of the GM folks, they think that that part of the wheel gets rather dirty rather quickly. They probably figure that "normal" buyers (buyers who don't clean their cars as regularly as we do) won't notice such a thing due to dirt.....because let's be real.....who in their right minds takes OFF their wheels to clean them........ no one but us!
But these wheels are only on this car and the ZL1, right? I clean all the way in there myself without removing the wheels using Adam's Turbo Stick Wheel Cleaning Tool.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #28
tramtwo
top side of the square
 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Tram: I'm not trying to dog Chevy entirely here. I guess this paint issue threw me over the edge. It just reeks of bad quality. Look. I'm totally ok with cost savings done right like no door to the trunk fuse box and only a passenger side back seat pocket. But the wheels and My Link are crown jewel type features to this car and the 2SS package. They are things for which I was willing to pay. extra. But a non sealed paint job and a my link that keeps resetting itself and jumbling my layout creates grave concern for me personally.

And sure. I get on my car like you, perhaps. And maybe the half shaft issue and the strut snap are user caused incidents; I've considered this similarly. But then I start to wonder "what if"....

Quality is both real and perceived. A seemingly simple paint decision (or lack thereof) behind the wheels seems innocuous .... Or is it?
I don't believe the wheels are an quality issue for me... paint or no paint. The orange peel and thin paint is, but I don't think it is an indicator of a poor quality vehicle. Sad but most paint jobs today on cars suck!!

The radio is flaky and I would suggest getting it flashed. FWIW chevy needs a little dogging every now and then.
__________________
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #29
JJKJ
 
JJKJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marion, Ia
Posts: 237
It's not just the Camaro wheels that suffer. When I bought my Grand Sport, it came with the $2000 chrome wheel option (didn't really want chrome wheels but the other options and overall price were right). I was shocked to find that the barrels had rough primer as the factory finish. This is on a very open and large wheel where the barrel is highly visible. Looked horrible and was tough to keep clean. I ended up sanding the barrels smooth and painting them.

I guess I should plan to do the same to my 1LE when I get it.

Kinda disappointing but I guess wheel barrels aren't a priority for GM or their wheel manufacturers.

On a related note, the rotor hats on my Grand Sport were just primered as well and looked like turd. What is the finish on the Camaro rotor hats?
__________________
John
13 VR 2SS/RS 1LE (sold)
01 Z28 M6 HT
JJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #30
2010SLVRBULIT


 
2010SLVRBULIT's Avatar
 
Drives: G5 & C6
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MARS
Posts: 6,503
GM saves $ if they don't have to paint the back of the rims
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #31
CrystalRedTintcoat

 
CrystalRedTintcoat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, online, & in my 1LE
Posts: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post

The radio is flaky and I would suggest getting it flashed. FWIW chevy needs a little dogging every now and then.
K. I guess I could search but how do you flash it? I saw an option to update it via USB.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #32
CrystalRedTintcoat

 
CrystalRedTintcoat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, online, & in my 1LE
Posts: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
GM saves $ if they don't have to paint the back of the rims
It's not really the back but the inside barrel, no? At least the photos here show a great time in the inside barrel instead of a black.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #33
tramtwo
top side of the square
 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
K. I guess I could search but how do you flash it? I saw an option to update it via USB.
A trip to dealership... explain the symptoms... ask for a reprogram.

tramtwo posted this on the go
__________________
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #34
DRKS1D3

 
DRKS1D3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie46 View Post
I noticed the same thing when I was washing the the rims , parts of the rim were not painted also bothered me , however had to remind myself that it is a Chevy !
I don't care what the Hell brand it is. If I spent $40k on a car, it better be done right! I understand accidents happen, but this is unacceptable and should be brought to the dealer's attention. If you don't care about your hard-earned money, then ignore it I suppose.
__________________
MY RIDE: 2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE (LS3)--K&N TYPHOON INTAKE, FLOWMASTER FORCE II EXHAUST, HYPERTECH MAX ENERGY 93 OCTANE TUNE, HOTCHKIS SUSPENSION, BLACKED OUT BOWTIES, GLOSS BLACK ZL1 REPLICA WHEELS

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #35
Michael2000
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJ View Post
It's not just the Camaro wheels that suffer. When I bought my Grand Sport, it came with the $2000 chrome wheel option (didn't really want chrome wheels but the other options and overall price were right). I was shocked to find that the barrels had rough primer as the factory finish. This is on a very open and large wheel where the barrel is highly visible. Looked horrible and was tough to keep clean. I ended up sanding the barrels smooth and painting them.
I'm surprised by this. My C5 has painted barrels, with a gloss finish inside. It isn't the same metallic paint as on the outside, more of a solid gray, but it shines when clean. It's a shame to hear about a drop in quality.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #36
Edge1
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 8
Does anyone have the part number of touchup paint for the 1LE wheels?
Edge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #37
bluBlud
 
bluBlud's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge1 View Post
Does anyone have the part number of touchup paint for the 1LE wheels?
Search the wheel section in the ZL1 forums, Dupli-Color black NGSF100 seems to be popular, I picked up some from Amazon to touch-up a few very tiny nicks in my wheels... no complaints.

I did ask a dealer - they told me there's no GM part number and that I'd need to talk to a body shop.
__________________
bluBlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #38
1LEMayhem
Wheel Man
 
1LEMayhem's Avatar
 
Drives: GXH 2SS 1LE - 1 OF 70
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Parrish, Florida
Posts: 591
I just cleaned my wheels front and back this weekend. I didn't notice any paint issues, the matte black paint covers my entire rim inside and out. Maybe I just got a good batch?
__________________
1LEMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #39
JimE

 
JimE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 2,006
Mine are fine on the outside. But the insides are similar to those above, and the inner lip has no paint at all. While I expect better, it's not really an issue as you can't see it with the wheels on the car.
__________________
Perm-a-grin in place.....
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #40
Fish-man
SS HWSE
 
Fish-man's Avatar
 
Drives: too many to say!
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 666
Take a look at many silver oe wheels... will have similar issues, but wont be noticed so much due to the color of aluminum.
Oe chrome wheels have the rough paint there for corrosion protection. Thin chrome looks real bad when it corrodes, due to the copper bleeding out.

What bothers me is the paint on the car (beyond the orange peel)...look underneath or deep in engine compartment…not much paint there. I only care about that due to rust concerns. I can easily paint the back of my wheels even if only for looks... the vehicle, not so easy.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.