Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
OC.LS3

Drives: '11 SS, M6 Black w/ IOM stripes
Resale on modded cars

Have any of you sold a 5th gen you had done work to? Did you end up getting peanuts for it? In hindsight would you have left the mods on or tried to restore it back to factory (i dont have my OEM parts anymore)? Just curious what I could get for my 2011 2SS with 24K and intake/headers/tune. An issue I would face is my catless mids. Body and interior are good, just a little bump on the rear fascia.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
freefallin2005

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs
im trying to sell mine, its a 2011 ss rs with just over 1000 miles and over 30k in mods and the best offer i got was 35k
freefallin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
erik13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS
No offense, but I wouldn't buy a modded car.
erik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC.LS3 View Post
Have any of you sold a 5th gen you had done work to? Did you end up getting peanuts for it? In hindsight would you have left the mods on or tried to restore it back to factory (i dont have my OEM parts anymore)? Just curious what I could get for my 2011 2SS with 24K and intake/headers/tune. An issue I would face is my catless mids. Body and interior are good, just a little bump on the rear fascia.
Most people won't buy a modded car for fear of how it was driven and warranty concerns. Because of this, most of the time they go for a little less than what a stock car brings because the seller has to lower his price in order to sell it. Sometimes you can get a little more depending on the mods and how much you did but you will never get back what you put in it.

Generally speaking you will get more money in the long run if you return the car back to stock and sell the mods separate.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Most people won't buy a modded car for fear of how it was driven and warranty concerns. Because of this, most of the time they go for a little less than what a stock car brings because the seller has to lower his price in order to sell it. Sometimes you can get a little more depending on the mods and how much you did but you will never get back what you put in it.

Generally speaking you will get more money in the long run if you return the car back to stock and sell the mods separate.
I have to agree with that. Unless the car was exceptionally clean. Since the op mentioned it had a bit of character I would automatically pass.

2014 SS Performance Sedan - Red Hot 2 - Black Leather. S/R. Full size spare.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Algeron

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS vert, 1998 Z28, 1991 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik13 View Post
No offense, but I wouldn't buy a modded car.

I agree when it comes to performance mods. While I will make changes to mine, I am planning on keeping this car for at least 6-8 years, and IF I decide to sell it then, it won't matter as much. However, I passed over several Camaros when I was looking because they already had the CAI or other performance mods added. I will say that I am not bothered by body or interior mods as long as it is not overboard.

http://imgur.com/a/kurVF Born 30 May 2011
Algeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Really? Mine is modded and I actually had someone make me an offer to buy mine when I was filling up with gas. I told him it wasn't for sale. So I didn't even let him make me an offer.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I wouldn't NOT buy a car just because it was modded. I looked at a Corvette before I bought my Camaro back in 2008. It had a turbo, custom wheels, exhaust cutouts, engine tune, and a few other things. As many have said I wasn't going to pay a lot more money for the mods but I liked all of the mods. It was owned by a 50+ year old guy and I doubt if he beat it, it also had the original tires on it. He wanted $5K over the price of the car for the turbo, that was a deal breaker in my mind so I didn't buy it.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
Really? Mine is modded and I actually had someone make me an offer to buy mine when I was filling up with gas. I told him it wasn't for sale. So I didn't even let him make me an offer.
Well, it's also worth less money b/c the person who buys it, in this case the dealer, has to get the car through inspection. Some state inspections are very strict, and the car wont pass w/ cutouts, headers, window tint. Replacing all that stuff takes time and money, so yes the car is usually worth less.

2014 SS Performance Sedan - Red Hot 2 - Black Leather. S/R. Full size spare.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
Talk is cheap.
Mods will not add to the value in my opinion and double
that on a tuned 5th gen, especially a low mileage car with the
warranty voided.....Again IMO.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
San2cci

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS (25k miles)
Intake wont affect anything; headers can be replaced back to stock for cheap...and the tune is what will affect the resale because from that day on the factory warranty is void and they cant replace it...so alls you have is a 2011 2SS with 24k miles + No warranty. So really you will get less than what a 2011 stock 2SS, 24k miles + warranty
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Ok, what if we we're talking limited production Pacecar, modded by a Chevy dealer with an SLP blower, CAI, and Loudmouth exhaust, STILL UNDER WARRANTY, with only 1200 miles and a garage queen? Dealer guaranteed in writing that GM warranty still in effect until 3yrs/36k miles AND it had an extended drivetrain warranty for 7 yrs 70k miles?
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via AIM to tomlink Send a message via MSN to tomlink Send a message via Yahoo to tomlink Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Kind of goes back to a previous thread - "if you mod would you mod for performance or appearance". Sounds like performance mods are a bad idea unless you plan to own the car for a long time, and you accept the warranty is gone.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
steel insane

Drives: 2012 2LT Black (Vengeance)
Modded Camaros are like modded Harleys... only the book value of stock applies.

You mod to improve the value for yourself not to improve the value for someone else... unless, of course, you are in the mod business (different matter altogether).
steel insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
RBD

Drives: 2013 SS/RS Convertible
I got a ton for my 2010, and am going to ask more for my convert. People with money recognize quality when they see it. One drive and they are hooked.
RBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Not too many worse investments you can make than modding a car. It generally will lower your resale ... Unless you find a kid who really likes it and has his dad pay for it. Better hope Dad is dumb. Lol
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Drives: 2011 SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
Not too many worse investments you can make than modding a car. It generally will lower your resale ... Unless you find a kid who really likes it and has his dad pay for it. Better hope Dad is dumb. Lol
lol now thats funny..dumb dadmost modded cars are for personnal reasons..i would buy a modded car in a heartbeat if the mods were what i lliked..internal mods..like a cam would turn me away...but cai..exhaust...headers are fine with me..just because its modded doesnt mean its beat up...there are lots of stock vehicles running around out there that are getting beat ...i would rather buy a modded car from a car guy then rather then so guy thats just drives the crap out of it and doesnt care..imo

K@N CAI....Vmax ported throttlebody...JBA shorty headers...SOLO hi flow cats....JBA Powercables...Magnaflow competition exhaust.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Camaro Carbone
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2ls
Give a F about resale value. Could be dead tomorrow. MOD
Camaro Carbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
If you customize your car, kiss your resale value goodbye. Average Joe doesn't want your supercharger. Average Joe doesn't want the loud exhaust. Average Joe wants a car that looks cool enough and feels fast.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
OC.LS3

Drives: '11 SS, M6 Black w/ IOM stripes
Yeah i assumed the resale would be lower, just trying to ballpark it. Such as 3000 less than KBB or like 10000. I know yall would hesitate to just throw #s out there, but im hoping someone has experience or heard of it done. Dont worry, i wont quote you, ha
Old 03-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #21
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Yeah i assumed the resale would be lower, just trying to ballpark it. Such as 3000 less than KBB or like 10000. I know yall would hesitate to just throw #s out there, but im hoping someone has experience or heard of it done. Dont worry, i wont quote you, ha
It's all over the place. If you've got a guy that wants exactly what you put onto your car—rims, exhaust, coilovers, whatever—then you can probably sell above KBB and offer a discount on the parts installed. If you've got a guy with different tastes, you're looking at someone who doesn't value any of the work you've put into it, so they'll be looking at KBB minus the cost of parts they want to install as a negotiating point. The range between those two values could be thousands depending on whether you've installed some serious parts, like a full track suspension or a supercharger.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #22
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
Most buyers won't pay for car worth that w/o any warranty.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary Edi
Glad mine is stock. 2012 SS 45th. manual with 2017 miles.Brought it home in Oct 2011. This site is not going to make me lose my head and start modding the hell out of it. I like "survivors" in time, they become rare because people mod them out or do not used OEM replacement parts on so many of them and they just dont care about keeping it stock.
knitetrain05 is offline   Reply With Quote