Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,043
Winds of change: 2009 to bring significant improvements to GM's lineup

"... And, as predicted, the GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook will get a direct-injection version of GM's 3.6L V6 rated at 290 horsepower. That powerplant made its Lambda debut in the Chevrolet Traverse at the Chicago Auto Show, but in Traverse guise is produces between 281 and 286 horsepower. No word if the Buick Enclave will also receive the engine upgrade, but it would seem like a logical assumption. "

http://www.leftlanenews.com/winds-of...html#more-7094

By reading this, are we to understand that possibly Camaro will be starting at dang near 300 horsepower in a base model if it gets the DI V6?
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,043
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Slave One
 
Drives: 1996 Camaro V6
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
"... And, as predicted, the GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook will get a direct-injection version of GM's 3.6L V6 rated at 290 horsepower. That powerplant made its Lambda debut in the Chevrolet Traverse at the Chicago Auto Show, but in Traverse guise is produces between 281 and 286 horsepower. No word if the Buick Enclave will also receive the engine upgrade, but it would seem like a logical assumption. "

http://www.leftlanenews.com/winds-of...html#more-7094

By reading this, are we to understand that possibly Camaro will be starting at dang near 300 horsepower in a base model if it gets the DI V6?
Come one Rad... i thought you were more up to date on things than this...


lol, j/k... seems like it will start out that way, probably with headers, full exhaust and intake it'll make 300...
Slave One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I think if this focuses more on the powertrain aspect...it's not a repost.

Aren't engines typically rated at lower numbers in trucks as opposed to cars? Like the LS2; It's rated at 390 in the Trailblazer SS. Soooo...I'm thinking that they aren't detuning the 3.6L to ~280hp for the Camaro, because the CTS is closer to Camaro's size than the Lambda vehicles, and has it's DI 3.6 rated at 302hp. My 0.02.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
stovt001


 
stovt001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,817
Given that the Genesis Coupe V6 will be making 310 hp, and the 350Z makes north of 300 hp, Chevy has a lot of incentive to make its V6 cross that 300 hp mark. Sure 280 would make it plenty fast, but to compete with those other sports coupes, 300 is a nice benchmark.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I think if this focuses more on the powertrain aspect...it's not a repost.

Aren't engines typically rated at lower numbers in trucks as opposed to cars? Like the LS2; It's rated at 390 in the Trailblazer SS. Soooo...I'm thinking that they aren't detuning the 3.6L to ~280hp for the Camaro, because the CTS is closer to Camaro's size than the Lambda vehicles, and has it's DI 3.6 rated at 302hp. My 0.02.

Sorry; that was my point exactly; just perhaps more reinforcement that if we get a 3.6L, that it will be close to 300 horse, or so.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
AirGoya

 
AirGoya's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago/Carbondale
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Given that the Genesis Coupe V6 will be making 310 hp, and the 350Z makes north of 300 hp, Chevy has a lot of incentive to make its V6 cross that 300 hp mark. Sure 280 would make it plenty fast, but to compete with those other sports coupes, 300 is a nice benchmark.
Thats a good point. Even though 299hp and 300hp are only one away, once you step into the 300hp range its sounds so much better.
__________________
-Tim

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.