Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #29
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
Why does everyone keep saying that? The SS396 was faster, Which more power and more options. The only reason the Z28 was built was to meet SCCA racing standards. SCCA put a displacement restriction of 305ci. Ford and GM both did 302ci and Dodge did a 301ci (Im not positive on the dodge displacement). The Z28 package was a small displacement track car.
The L78 was the only 396 with more HP and then it was marginally more (the 302 numbers were deceptive for racing - 290 was at a much lower than capable RPM). Torque yes it was more in the SS, but it had a heavy BB in it to lug around. You couldn't get 4 wheel disc or cross ram on an L78. The Z28 could be had with every option, but AC and vert. In the end a Z28 and SS were apples and oranges.

And way more development money was spent on the Z28. Was it the top Camaro? Depends on ones perspective.
2cnd chance is offline  
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #30
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
The L78 was the only 396 with more HP and then it was marginally more (the 302 numbers were deceptive for racing - 290 was at a much lower than capable RPM). Torque yes it was more in the SS, but it had a heavy BB in it to lug around. You couldn't get 4 wheel disc or cross ram on an L78. The Z28 could be had with every option, but AC and vert. In the end a Z28 and SS were apples and oranges.

And way more development money was spent on the Z28. Was it the top Camaro? Depends on ones perspective.
I don't think either one is the top tier. They were both upgrades of the base car, just built for different purposes.
Bhobbs is offline  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #31
shaffe


 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
The L78 was the only 396 with more HP and then it was marginally more (the 302 numbers were deceptive for racing - 290 was at a much lower than capable RPM). Torque yes it was more in the SS, but it had a heavy BB in it to lug around. You couldn't get 4 wheel disc or cross ram on an L78. The Z28 could be had with every option, but AC and vert. In the end a Z28 and SS were apples and oranges.

And way more development money was spent on the Z28. Was it the top Camaro? Depends on ones perspective.

I believe if you knew what boxes to tick you could get 4 wheels disc brakes on a 69 SS. Doing some searching it looks like it was RPO JL8 but seems like it was extremely rare.
shaffe is offline  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #32
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I believe if you knew what boxes to tick you could get 4 wheels disc brakes on a 69 SS. Doing some searching it looks like it was RPO JL8 but seems like it was extremely rare.
That and CR were only offered on the Z28. Now with all the backdoor builds being done like 427's (iron and aluminum) could you get the JL8 on an SS??? Maybe
2cnd chance is offline  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #33
shaffe


 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
That and CR were only offered on the Z28. Now with all the backdoor builds being done like 427's (iron and aluminum) could you get the JL8 on an SS??? Maybe
I am not sure lol, but according to this source

http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/...es/rpo_jl8.htm

You could get it on ANY Camaro model from the factory if you wanted to put up the $$$ for it. That is solely what I am basing that on, so I could easily be wrong.
shaffe is offline  
Old 03-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #34
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Technically, any '69 Camaro was eligible for JL8...as long as it was a 12-bolt application. If not 12-bolt-equipped as per engine/driveline specified, the JL8 option price increased to cover the 10-bolt-to-12-bolt upgrade.

http://www.camaros.org/suspen.shtml#12-Bolt

http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/...es/rpo_jl8.htm

The option was NOT available on the mandatory BE-code HD 12-bolt that came with the COPOs, as the brakes simply would not fit on the ends of the axle tubes.

nit fully picked...
LOWDOWN is offline  
Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #35
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
...wow, the big blocks and small blocks were so purpose built...for different purposes. Flat torque lower RPM versus peaky torque high RPM....small blocks for road course, big blocks for drag racing. It's that basic. There were tons of SB's around, BB's less in quantity. There were more Z's around than BB SS's too. So, it was easier, and cheaper for us to run a SB, even for drag racing purposes, even though a built BB would wipe up a built SB. No replacement for displacement was the saying. Z's had the updated F41 suspension, not the SS's.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline  
Old 03-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #36
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Technically, any '69 Camaro was eligible for JL8...as long as it was a 12-bolt application. If not 12-bolt-equipped as per engine/driveline specified, the JL8 option price increased to cover the 10-bolt-to-12-bolt upgrade.

http://www.camaros.org/suspen.shtml#12-Bolt

http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/...es/rpo_jl8.htm

The option was NOT available on the mandatory BE-code HD 12-bolt that came with the COPOs, as the brakes simply would not fit on the ends of the axle tubes.

nit fully picked...
I apologize, never heard that the JL8 could be had on anything other than a Z28. I'd love to know the numbers on Camaros not Z28's. talk about rare!
2cnd chance is offline  
Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #37
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
Probably the most rare 1st gen. performance option was RPO MA6 Heavy Duty Dual Disc Clutch. Offered only in '69, Chevrolet's comment about it was "The dual-disc system is well suited for extremely heavy-duty use on strip or track, including road racing. Also suitable for street use creating a new driving experience.". While it was available for all high performance applications, it was an ideal option for the Z/28.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline  
Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #38
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
...wow Clyde, I never heard of that one, and I was a white book RPO maniac until I got old and feeble with drain bamage....LOL....nice one!
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline  
Old 03-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #39
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,825
Sounds like a Penske special
2cnd chance is offline  
Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #40
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I don't see the Z/28 replacing the ZL1 because GM will want something to go agains the GT500. As long as there is a supercharged Mustang, there will be a supercharged Camaro. Supercharging doesn't belong on a Z/28 and neither does the mag ride suspension.
Agree x10
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline  
Old 03-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #41
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Agree x10
No, and heres why. Chevy caved in after 2012 on HP. The late entry beating the Mustang for 2012 was the ZL1. Mustang trumped, and will hold until the end of both models, nothing will change on either end. So who is top dog? The Z/28 was to be, until the demise of the economy and GM was in risk of folding. After the economy received assistance, GM rebounded, and resurrected the Z/28 project that morphed because of time and competition to the ZL1. Not the Z/28 name. The ZL1 is a car for all time no doubt, a pinacle of engineering,but a metamorphasis from it's original intent. A new model that we don't need. Drop it, use the information and technology gained from this project, and transform it into the Z/28 for the next build.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline  
Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #42
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
No, and heres why. Chevy caved in after 2012 on HP. The late entry beating the Mustang for 2012 was the ZL1. Mustang trumped, and will hold until the end of both models, nothing will change on either end. So who is top dog? The Z/28 was to be, until the demise of the economy and GM was in risk of folding. After the economy received assistance, GM rebounded, and resurrected the Z/28 project that morphed because of time and competition to the ZL1. Not the Z/28 name. The ZL1 is a car for all time no doubt, a pinacle of engineering,but a metamorphasis from it's original intent.


A new model that we don't need. Drop it, use the information and technology gained from this project, and transform it into the Z/28 for the next build.

I agree with the first half of your comment, but why don't we need the ZL1 when GM's biggest competitor has a model it competes with?
2cnd chance is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.